I Think My GI Irons are Hurting My Game

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shocked this thread hasn't turned into a complete s---show yet. People must be sleeping in.

Every time I start to blame my clubs/shafts/shoes for something I ask myself: "Self, if you handed this club/shaft/etc to a tour player, would they be able to hit it well enough?"   The answ

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.7cca224976fb17db3f018de0ccf14e09.pngMatt Kuchar, a nine-time PGA Tour winner, plays Bridgestone's Tour B JGR HF2 irons. With cavity back and Power Slit Face (helps low-face hits), it's in the GI category.

So, would you advise Kuchar to quit golf because he is among those who "swing improperly"?

An example closer to home is a couple of former small-college golfers I have met. In college, they played blade irons to a scratch HDCP. But 10 years later, they have a job, a wife and two kids, and a dog. Reality: they can no longer keep their swings "blade-ready." They find they score better with GI irons than with Player's blades. GI forgiveness outstrips an occasional fancy blade shot.

I’m not sure what you’re arguing, but what I got from the person you quoted is “if it’s designed to overcome issue for those who have swing flaws, then those without as many flaws should be just fine”. I think you’re friends would fall into the latter category.

Apparently the greens are just too damn hard at the moment.  I've been told that they are going to punch them pretty soon.  We'll see how much of a difference that makes.  I hit my irons pretty high with an apex of usually over 100 feet, and my shots barely make a ball mark, if at all.  That is definitely not right.  So, I guess it's probably more of a turf issue than my irons.  Good to know, but I still want a combo set now, just because.  I suppose the MP 30's will suffice once they get here though.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

23 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Apparently the greens are just too damn hard at the moment.  I've been told that they are going to punch them pretty soon.  We'll see how much of a difference that makes.  I hit my irons pretty high with an apex of usually over 100 feet, and my shots barely make a ball mark, if at all.  That is definitely not right.  So, I guess it's probably more of a turf issue than my irons.  Good to know, but I still want a combo set now, just because.  I suppose the MP 30's will suffice once they get here though.

As warm and dry as it's been, you'll probably see a lot of those type shots at Augusta later this week. Or at least I hope we do!

6 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

There's a reason tour pros don't use JPX Hot Metal irons, and it's the same reason I'm looking for something else.

I'm no pro, but I played a tour course with Champion Bermuda greens, and no problem holding greens with my 919 HMs.

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I'm no pro, but I played a tour course with Champion Bermuda greens, and no problem holding greens with my 919 HMs.

I'm guessing those greens weren't as hard as the ones at my club are right now.  It's probably not so much my irons as it is the greens.  Hopefully they're getting ready to rectify the situation.  All I knew was something was amiss.  Either the clubs or the greens.  After talking with some other members, turns out it's the greens. Glad to hear they won't be staying this hard for much longer.  But they sure do putt nicely.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

8 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

There's a reason tour pros don't use JPX Hot Metal irons, and it's the same reason I'm looking for something else.

Actually until this year Brooks Koepka was playing 919JPX.  And he did not have a deal with Mizuno  or anyone else.  The main, if not only reason he switched to ZR7 irons is that he signed a deal  with Srixon.  So don't say no pros play JPX's.  He is not only a PGA pro but one of the best in the world. 

7 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

Actually until this year Brooks Koepka was playing 919JPX.  And he did not have a deal with Mizuno  or anyone else.  The main, if not only reason he switched to ZR7 irons is that he signed a deal  with Srixon.  So don't say no pros play JPX's.  He is not only a PGA pro but one of the best in the world. 

Brooks was playing JPX Tours. First 919 then 921. Not GI irons. He put Srixon in the bag this year, but I don’t think he signed with Srixon. At least I can’t find any evidence of him signing and that’s something Srixon would promote pretty loudly.

https://www.srixon.com/us/tour-list.html

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JDCON said:

Brooks was playing JPX Tours. First 919 then 921. Not GI irons. He put Srixon in the bag this year, but I don’t think he signed with Srixon. At least I can’t find any evidence of him signing and that’s something Srixon would promote pretty loudly.

https://www.srixon.com/us/tour-list.html

My bad I thought the post was No PGA pro plays JPX.  I guess I'll have to beat myself.  LOL

• Haha 1

Why not take the money you would spend on new clubs and get some lessons to completely revamp your swing so you flip more at the bottom?  Trust me, more flip and less "pinch" will get that spin up.

Here's a great training aid:

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

41 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

I'm guessing those greens weren't as hard as the ones at my club are right now.  It's probably not so much my irons as it is the greens.  Hopefully they're getting ready to rectify the situation.  All I knew was something was amiss.  Either the clubs or the greens.  After talking with some other members, turns out it's the greens. Glad to hear they won't be staying this hard for much longer.  But they sure do putt nicely.

Where are you? Here in central NC, we have had so much rain that the greens are not as firm as usual. I really like firm, fast greens. It seems they are just about perfect just before they punch them.

5 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Pretty sure Augusta can afford as much water as they want for irrigation.

ANGC pride themselves on having them firm and nearly unplayable for the Masters. So they are hoping not to get rain to soften them up, they certainly won’t be watering them more than necessary to keep the grass alive. 

Of course they also have Sub Air to dry them out nowadays. So it takes a buttload of rain to make them soft. Which is not in the forecast.  

26 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Where are you? Here in central NC, we have had so much rain that the greens are not as firm as usual. I really like firm, fast greens. It seems they are just about perfect just before they punch them.

I'm in northern Missouri.  The grounds crew will be aerating the greens next Monday, so that should (hopefully) soften them up a bit.  Then we'll just have to deal with all the little sand-filled holes for several weeks.  Oh joy!  At my old course they are so soft that my shots always left a large pitch mark.  This hard greens stuff is new to me. 

• Like 2

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

37 minutes ago, halliedog said:

Why not take the money you would spend on new clubs and get some lessons to completely revamp your swing so you flip more at the bottom?  Trust me, more flip and less "pinch" will get that spin up.

Here's a great training aid:

I didn't realize the guys that make Family Guy also did golf training videos...

• Haha 1

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | F9 3W - 3H Devo 7-8S - RadSpeed 7W Motore F3R | 0211 5-6H Riptide  80R

ZX5/7 6-PW Recoil 95R | cbx2 50 Recoil 95R | Glide 56 eye2 - 58TS | Stroke Lab Double Wide

53 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Your JPX 900 Hot Metals are 1 club stronger than your MP-30’s were. 
JPX 7 iron =31*  MP-30 6 iron =31*
JPX 8 iron =35* MP-30 7 iron =35*

Loft for loft you should see a very similar spin rate assuming the Shaft is the same make between the two. So,  your JPX 7 iron, should get around the same roll out as your MP-30 6 iron. 

Also, your MP-30 shafts are old school Mizuno standard length, so the MP-30 6 iron shaft should be 1/4 longer than your JPX 900 shaft. With that being said, loft for loft, you should deliver the clubs at impact slightly different. The JPX 900 should launch a touch higher due to the shorter shaft. 

The JPX HM and MP-30 swingweight may be different as well .  It may have an affect on your delivery or it may not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Perhaps you can buy a single iron MP-30 ......6 or 7 iron and take your JPX HM 7or 8 since the lofts match, and hit them side by side on a launch monitor. You may find that they are nearly identical. If there is a great disparity in launch and spin, perhaps you have better turf interaction with the MP-30. I would check the overall weight and swingweight of the corresponding lofted club (JPX 7=MP30 6) and try to get the JPX to match the MP-30. 

I highly doubt...... (as a matter of fact I just started a thread on this) that the JPX is a low spin club, when you compare loft to loft. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JDMRN81 said:

I’m dying! 🤣

OMG!  That is the funniest shiz I have seen in a LONG time!  FLIP IT!!!!! 🤣

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

1 minute ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Your JPX 900 Hot Metals are 1 club stronger than your MP-30’s were. 
JPX 7 iron =31*  MP-30 6 iron =31*
JPX 8 iron =35* MP-30 7 iron =35*

Loft for loft you should see a very similar spin rate assuming the Shaft is the same make between the two. So,  your JPX 7 iron, should get around the same roll out as your MP-30 6 iron. 

Also, your MP-30 shafts are old school Mizuno standard length, so the MP-30 6 iron shaft should be 1/4 longer than your JPX 900 shaft. With that being said, loft for loft, you should deliver the clubs at impact slightly different. The JPX 900 should launch a touch higher due to the shorter shaft. 

The JPX HM and MP-30 swingweight may be different as well .  It may have an affect on your delivery or it may not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Perhaps you can buy a single iron MP-30 ......6 or 7 iron and take your JPX HM 7or 8 since the lofts match, and hit them side by side on a launch monitor. You may find that they are nearly identical. If there is a great disparity in launch and spin, perhaps you have better turf interaction with the MP-30. I would check the overall weight and swingweight of the corresponding lofted club (JPX 7=MP30 6) and try to get the JPX to match the MP-30. 

I highly doubt...... (as a matter of fact I just started a thread on this) that the JPX is a low spin club, when you compare loft to loft. 

I don't have the MP 30's yet.  They should arrive sometime next week, or maybe even this Friday.  The shafts will be a bit different, but not hugely so.  I built my JPX 900's with AMT Tour White, so the long irons are lighter, but not sure how much that will affect things, other than making them easier to swing.  I also built them to D3 swingweight, so that should be the same, or at least very close.  I'm super excited to get the MP 30's as they are my favorite iron of all time and it's been about 11 years since I had a set.  They're not exactly easy to come by in left-handed these days.  And they're probably about as bladey as I want to get, at least for right now.  MY club has a SkyTrak, so I might be able to do a head to head with that.  Not a Trackman by any means, but it should work.

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

5 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

OMG!  That is the funniest shiz I have seen in a LONG time!  FLIP IT!!!!! 🤣

Sorry to derail your thread Drumdude, but if you haven't seen this guy before google him - best golf commentary out there, you will be rolling.  Here is something especially for the upcoming Masters:

https://www.facebook.com/ClubProGuy/videos/130469392380315/

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

1 minute ago, drumdude96 said:

I don't have the MP 30's yet.  They should arrive sometime next week, or maybe even this Friday.  The shafts will be a bit different, but not hugely so.  I built my JPX 900's with AMT Tour White, so the long irons are lighter, but not sure how much that will affect things, other than making them easier to swing.  I also built them to D3 swingweight, so that should be the same, or at least very close.  I'm super excited to get the MP 30's as they are my favorite iron of all time and it's been about 11 years since I had a set.  They're not exactly easy to come by in left-handed these days.  And they're probably about as bladey as I want to get, at least for right now.  MY club has a SkyTrak, so I might be able to do a head to head with that.  Not a Trackman by any means, but it should work.

Cool, I’d love to hear a follow up on launch and spin between the two equal lofts...... most specifically the MP30 7 iron and the JPX 8 iron, since the lofts are the same and shaft weight should be very close. 

I have owned the MP-30-32-33-37-67’s, they all had x100’s in them except the 37’s (PX 6.0 flighted) and  as far as feel goes, I could not tell the difference between any of them (except the 37’s due to the shafts) 

Mizuno fan and Lefty...... 😣 

9 minutes ago, halliedog said:

Sorry to derail your thread Drumdude, but if you haven't seen this guy before google him - best golf commentary out there, you will be rolling.  Here is something especially for the upcoming Masters:

https://www.facebook.com/ClubProGuy/videos/130469392380315/

Wow!  I can't wait to plan a fantastic golf trip to Three Jack National! 

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

1 hour ago, dhacker56 said:

Don't most courses aerify in the fall?

Here in the mid atlantic it’s often twice or more a year.  In the spring after everything starts growing again and fall before things go dormant.  

But it’s not set in stone and not always those big a** holes. new equipment is pretty cool and the greens heal pretty quickly   

Edited by 2Down
Cause I could

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
Zebra - for the moment

tp5x