Stack and Tilt... here I come?

20 hours ago, Moonlightgrm said:

I stumbled across a few of Tom Saguto’s videos over the winter. When the 2021 golf season began I decided to try his method on the driving range. I was surprised at my results. I was hitting crisp shot after crisp shot. However, the next morning, I awoke with hip and lower back pain. I tried the method again and felt the pain, once again. Apparently, my body does not like the stack and tilt method. My tried and true golf swing works just fine! 

A couple of pointers as to what could cause the back pain:

- the hip slide in the DS is not towards the target line nor the target but almost parallel to the target line (base of the swing plane  to be precise and cover the case of open/close stance)

- the spine extends from the thoracic spine up and not from the lumbar spine

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tm3 said:

Saguto is kind of fun to watch sometimes because he is such a character.  Hard to believe that he was shooting mid-90s (as he says) while working on his PGA certification.

I wonder if teaming up with Cogorno is to try to bring credibility to Saguto, or the other way around?

He was really struggling before he took up S&T.  We have messaged back and forth on Instagram multiple times.  he said this method has actually given him the love of golf back.  I just watched one of his videos yesterday that opened my eyes to an issue i've been having.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

My brother at 50 something who has never played gold has paid thousands of dollars gettign lessons with little results until he found Bradley Huges. His results have been very impressive, to the point that he will be changing his equipment because he hits his irons too far, more than likely blades and a cb combo.

I believe the secret to Hughes method maybe hitting into a bag with short swings repeatedly over the course of months. This is a very old technique that I read about that goes back more than 100 years. A pro once told me that pga pros learned efficient mechanics at an early age hitting short pitches, and I think hitting the bag as Hughes recommend it is doing the same thing. It can be done with an old tire like Henry Cotton recommended it. The great thing about this technique is that it requires a dynamic swing based on feeling the loading and unloading of the hands,, feet, etc as opposed to worrying about getting into proper positions.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 minute ago, chipa said:

My brother at 50 something who has never played gold has paid thousands of dollars gettign lessons with little results until he found Bradley Huges. His results have been very impressive, to the point that he will be changing his equipment because he hits his irons too far, more than likely blades and a cb combo.

I believe the secret to Hughes method maybe hitting into a bag with short swings repeatedly over the course of months. This is a very old technique that I read about that goes back more than 100 years. A pro once told me that pga pros learned efficient mechanics at an early age hitting short pitches, and I think hitting the bag as Hughes recommend it is doing the same thing. It can be done with an old tire like Henry Cotton recommended it. The great thing about this technique is that it requires a dynamic swing based on feeling the loading and unloading of the hands,, feet, etc as opposed to worrying about getting into proper positions.

Not S&T, not even close

1 minute ago, Gsea said:

Not S&T, not even close

It isn't of course I should have pointed out that I don't think stack and tilt is good for older people because of the strain on the lower back and left knee.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

29 minutes ago, tm3 said:

Saguto is kind of fun to watch sometimes because he is such a character.  Hard to believe that he was shooting mid-90s (as he says) while working on his PGA certification.

I wonder if teaming up with Cogorno is to try to bring credibility to Saguto, or the other way around?

If you can handle his antics he actually has good technique and instruction. He gave me good insight into S&T. Just following Bennett and Plummer was a little to detailed and too much to think about. Saguto "simplified" it for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gsea said:

just the opposite no back strain at all compared to "conventional" methods. Left knee is no different than any other swing.

I'm happy it doesn't bother you. However, I have tried it and it hurts and have read this happens to others as well. After all the stack and tilt for most peple causes them to stay on their left side, thus robbing them of the easy power from a good weightshift, which in turn causes many people to turn their shoudlers and pull their left side back more vigorosly to generate clubhead speed.

Notes:

4 minutes ago, chipa said:

I'm happy it doesn't bother you. However, I have tried it and it hurts and have read this happens to others as well. After all the stack and tilt for most peple causes them to stay on their left side, thus robbing them of the easy power from a good weightshift, which in turn causes many people to turn their shoudlers and pull their left side back more vigorosly to generate clubhead speed.

As a 15 cap range wizard you need to revisit the fundamentals of S&T, cuse u got it all wrong.

24 minutes ago, Gsea said:

As a 15 cap range wizard you need to revisit the fundamentals of S&T, cuse u got it all wrong.

The stack and tilt has been around a while and I don't think there is a lot to it, I believe that's why its popular. However, I'm not the only one who has pointed it that it can be hard on the back and left leg, after all it is a primarily a pulling action.

Notes:

I started using a modified version last year after having problems with a more conventional setup with weight shift , which came with hip replacements. Will it cause hip problems or pain ? Not for me but not using everything the book said other than setup. The pictures in the S&T book looked like it added extreme tension in the golf swing. Maybe not on purpose nether the less it gives that impression by images. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

8 hours ago, chipa said:

The stack and tilt has been around a while and I don't think there is a lot to it, I believe that's why its popular. However, I'm not the only one who has pointed it that it can be hard on the back and left leg, after all it is a primarily a pulling action.

pulling action?  not even close, down swing starts with the lower body as in 95% of all swings. read before  posting falsehoods.

22 minutes ago, Gsea said:

pulling action?  not even close, down swing starts with the lower body as in 95% of all swings. read before  posting falsehoods.

That's what happens to me and others as well from what i have read, after all if you are not pushing off your "lower body" right side your pulling with the left side. I'm glad it works for you.

Notes:

For those that have switched, did you find a need to flatten your lies?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

in a nut shell he claims a weight shift is not advisable for most. The claim is there is too much going on and it is too challenging  to get the club back square and shift the weight.  He also claims with no shift, the axis isn't moving so getting square at contact is much more likely. 

Per Henny Bogan

The problem with this method is that w/o the legs the body has to find other ways to generate adequate clubhead speed, such as the lower back. If one is content with swinging at 60% of their potential thats ok, but most high hc swing to the point of being off balance.

Many golf "models" out there are behind the times compared to baseball and tennis, which have shown tha the elastic connections in the body store and release energy like a rubberband, and so the easy clubhead speed created by a good weightshift is minimized.

Notes:

I think S&T is more suited to amateurs than pros or elite players. In my opinion, S&T help promote to strike the ball first before turf for players who sweep release which is most ams. Without weight on left side, sweep releasing can lead to fat and thin strikes. Pros generally release later so they don’t have these issues even without S&T. You just don’t see many strictly by the book S&T swings on tour. Charlie Wi is probably the exception.

I think it’s a good method for those that release a tad early. If you look at Saguto’s swing, he releases quite early so that’s why S&T has helped him strike it solid by hitting ball first and then turf.

3 hours ago, chipa said:

The problem with this method is that w/o the legs the body has to find other ways to generate adequate clubhead speed, such as the lower back. If one is content with swinging at 60% of their potential thats ok, but most high hc swing to the point of being off balance.

Many golf "models" out there are behind the times compared to baseball and tennis, which have shown tha the elastic connections in the body store and release energy like a rubberband, and so the easy clubhead speed created by a good weightshift is minimized.

I'm afraid you have been fed with complete misinformation about what S&T is. Did you try with an instructor?

S&T is not a pulling motion, the right arm speed is very important, in fact the swing has been categorized (by someone smarter than me ;-)) as TGM Hitting on the Elbow Plane. The legs do participate in the swing and also for speed but more emphasis is put on the left leg. There should not be any pressure on the lower back: S&T promotes the tilt-while-rotating to use the full range of motion of the spine and is not a resistance model (like X-factor) and the flexion-extension of the spine is supposed to happen from the thorax upwards.

On 4/18/2021 at 3:50 AM, stingerfade said:

Actually most of teaching today uses it for the backswing even if they don’t know it 

This is true in regards to the lead knee moving towards the ball to all the trail knee to extend so that the hips can rotate.  I think that S&T used to advocate trying to keep the weight and pressure forward though if I recall. Now it is known that both weight and pressure shift to the trail side even though visual appearance looks to be "stacked." I do think there are some good things that can be drawn from some of the principles of S&T.

Edited by Righty to Lefty

In the research and studying that I have done, maybe I should have said "staying stacked" as opposed to S&T.  As described in multiple lessons and books from Ben Hogan, he talks about the weight "shift" by turning but weight staying forward and staying on top of the ball is a concept shared by both styles.  Also, as described by an interview/instruction in Golf Digest from Tiger Woods last year stating " Keep your shoulders, hips and knees stacked."  Again a concept of S&T meets "conventional."

I'm not saying one is better than another.  Yes, if you are having issues, maybe you should really see a teacher to figure it out.  However... for all of us that have never seen a teacher, or simply don't want to spend time with a teacher (between work, kids, life...) and would rather find it in the dirt by ourselves, maybe blending some of the concepts of S&T and conventional together would not be a bad thing.  

We all have heard "S&T is horrible, don't do it" blah... blah... blah...

Frankly, no golf swing is "new"  Each concept has the bones and basis from different components of different concepts meshed together.  This is the reason why there are so many different teachers out there.  If there was only one method, there would only be one style of teaching.  

Maybe before criticizing others on the method and style that they choose, realize that no body, no swing, no human is the same (even twins).  We all are a little different and golf is an outlet where we can all come together.  

I am proudly using some concepts from S&T and conventional to play my game.  Will I ever be a pro, NO.  Am I okay with that... Yes.  

• Like 2

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx