PLM, do I need one?

Just looking for some opinions.  I *almost* just purchased a Rhapsodo, but had a temporary “hesitation” (rare occurrence lol).

I started to wonder; why I really *need* it?  I frequent the range at my local course to practice.  I use my laser to check distances to targets I hit to with different clubs.  I’m not trying to fit myself to new clubs. (I already know the clubs I have fit).

So if I’m already knowing the distances I’m hitting to, what do I really need a PLM just to practice?   

Looking for feedback from those that have and consistently use a PLM during practice sessions.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Struggling with the same question. I actually bought one from a user here recently at a good price. Used it...it works well. Confirmed my yardages on my clubs. Then I’m like “Now what?”  I already knew my yardages and the unit confirmed them. 

The main thing I think I might get out of it is how to dial yardages up and down when needed...instant feedback on swing changes to accomplish that. And, I can get some feedback on swing speed with different swing patterns, etc. 

Im sure there’s more but that is what I have for now. 

Thank you.  That’s kinda where I’m leaning.  Honestly I’m not trying to talk myself out of one; more to justify why to get one.  I do feel I could practice dialing in distances of partial/punch/or specialty shots after I get my bag mapped out.  

I could see the benefit of the dispersion tracking to see if I have a more consistent “miss” than I believe I have, and perhaps could make alignment refinements to adjust to it.  

Thank you for the reply though; and please keep others coming.

• Like 1

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

I will add this. I got the Swing Caddie SC300. It is a nice unit that works well and seems to track club speed and carry distances well. It has an app that logs this data for you when you upload it to your device. But two things to consider:

1. I kinda wish I had gotten the SC200. It will also track clubhead speed without hitting a ball (but the sc300 doesn’t do this; I didn’t know that when I bought it).  The 300 has overall more features but is missing primarily one of the ones I wanted, because I wanted to do the Speedsticks thing to see how my CHS was progressing. 
2. The swing caddie app stinks. As of right now, it is borderline useless. I think they have some enhancements planned for it that will make it a lot better, and will make me feel a little “better” that having a PLM is worth it.  But it is in a place at the moment where they needn’t have bothered rolling it out. 

Im not saying you shouldn’t get the SC300 by the way. It’s easy to use and seemed pretty accurate. They all have their pros and cons. Just that I’m not sure what else I might be able to glean from it that I didn’t already know. I think it is the only one that shows you real time data where you don’t need your phone. That’s a good feature for dialing distances. So I definitely plan to spend a few days with wedges on the PLM. 

Need is a strong term, for the most part that's player dependent.

I have found that having a personal launch monitor helps to give you a good understanding of your bag gapping and launch window.  Sometimes there are minor changes that alter your gapping and it's good to know when these creep in.  In fact, this helps a player to understand how to extract different numbers with the same club.  What happens when you alter ball position, open or close the face, open or close your stance, grip down, ...

If the device also measures club speed and ball speed, some utilize the smash factor property to improve efficiency of strike.  If a player has a tendency to miss all over the face, it would be reflected in smash factor.  By using the launch monitor consistently,  it will help a player to understand their strike efficiency and provide direct feedback as they work to improve.

The baseline you get from the launch monitor also is a big asset when you're looking to add or replace a club in your bag.  It allows you to better find the club that will fill your target gap.  In some lines a player will go from a 5 iron to a 4 hybrid but this could create a potentially large gap when perhaps a 5 iron followed by 5 hybrid may be better aligned with the goal.  Sometimes you're looking for a 120 yard GW but the Jaws you selected is actually 110 max.  More and more, shot trackers like Arcos play a big role here but they contend with other factors that can mislead (lie, elevation, terrain conditions, wind, 

...).  Using the launch monitor in this scenario really removes a big chunk of the guess work.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Struggling with the same question. I actually bought one from a user here recently at a good price. Used it...it works well. Confirmed my yardages on my clubs. Then I’m like “Now what?”  I already knew my yardages and the unit confirmed them. 

The main thing I think I might get out of it is how to dial yardages up and down when needed...instant feedback on swing changes to accomplish that. And, I can get some feedback on swing speed with different swing patterns, etc. 

Im sure there’s more but that is what I have for now. 

This.

Once you dial in distances, it’s great to get instant feedback on what swing thoughts/swing changes do for you. 

I'm thinking about purchasing one as well.  I'd like to get a skytracker, but if my wife found out how much it costs, she would literally kill me as we live right off a tee box that I can jump on whenever I want.  Therefore, I'm looking at the Rapsodo MLM and Flightscope Mevo.  I don't own an iphone so that's a big con with the Rapsodo.

I'm leaning towards the Rapsodo because the Mevo doesn't have lateral data, which is a big deal because I'm trying to correct my occasional slice and want to know if I'm accomplishing this.  I'm also considering one of these devices because my course doesn't have a range and the closest one is 20 minutes away.  I'd like to be able to practice hitting into a net.

My opinion,  PLM are a huge "asset" and tool for short game specifically when using indoor. Outdoor is the best, but its not always equitable.  Indoor setup though is SOOOO convenient. 

1) Short Game is neglected in context of going to a driving range. Meaning I doubt many people are willing to buy  a bucket of balls to hit it only 10-50yards

2) Short game practice areas are not easily available (in my area specifically).

3) PLM setup indoor edifies practice, convenience of practice and cost effective tools available now, to edify quality of shots.

My short game has improved dramatically due to the ES14 that I purchased last year Oct due to COVID. I put in at least 30+minutes 3 times a week.  Hitting shots ranging from 15y to 70y figuring launch angle, spin and distances.  

I then obtain edification on the course when I hit the shot.

The thousands of shots, the muscle memory and the ball data edification is critical for my confidence on the course.

So for the $500 I spent (Actually used on the bay for $300)  

$300 / $8 = 37.5 baskets, 2 baskets per range day,  that's 19 range days.  Range twice a month,

After 9 months,  the system paid for itself.  saving money on both drive time, baskets of balls.

Great value in my book! 

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

7 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

My opinion,  PLM are a huge "asset" and tool for short game specifically when using indoor. Outdoor is the best, but its not always equitable.  Indoor setup though is SOOOO convenient. 

1) Short Game is neglected in context of going to a driving range. Meaning I doubt many people are willing to buy  a bucket of balls to hit it only 10-50yards

2) Short game practice areas are not easily available (in my area specifically).

3) PLM setup indoor edifies practice, convenience of practice and cost effective tools available now, to edify quality of shots.

My short game has improved dramatically due to the ES14 that I purchased last year Oct due to COVID. I put in at least 30+minutes 3 times a week.  Hitting shots ranging from 15y to 70y figuring launch angle, spin and distances.  

The thousands of shots, the muscle memory and the ball data edification is critical for my confidence on the course.

So for the $500 I sent (Actually used on the bay for $300)  

$300 / $8 = 37.5 baskets, 2 baskets per range day,  that's 19 range days.  Range twice a month,

After 9 months,  the system paid for itself.  saving money on both drive time, baskets of balls.

Great value in my book! 

“edification

/ˌɛdɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/

noun

FORMAL

the moral or intellectual instruction or improvement of someone.”

“Inform” would be a more suitable word imho

OP - no, unless it gives you shot shape. Into a net that’s either Skytrak or GC2 or Quad.

Frankly, you know when you’ve hit a good shot, and the numbers will be what they will be. You don’t hit a pure perfect shot and then say to yourself how do I get 500 more rpm. 

What is more valuable and more difficult to know into a net is knowing shot shape specifically start line and side spin. YMMV, (but I’m right).

4 hours ago, hammersia said:

“edification

/ˌɛdɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/

noun

FORMAL

OP - no, unless it gives you shot shape. Into a net that’s either Skytrak or GC2 or Quad.

Frankly, you know when you’ve hit a good shot, and the numbers will be what they will be. You don’t hit a pure perfect shot and then say to yourself how do I get 500 more rpm. 

What is more valuable and more difficult to know into a net is knowing shot shape specifically start line and side spin. YMMV, (but I’m right).

Thanks, sorry if grammar was used in the wrong context for you.

I think the point to grasp was that practicing shots at home being short shots are then carried over to live shots at the course.

Again most people do not take the same equitable amount of time to practice their short game (this pertaining to amateurs) but having a system to give you ball data for short shots and being able to practice these shots with confidence is strong to ones mental confidence and execution on the live course.

"So again Intellectual instruction or improvement of someone" still applies to the practice. "Edification"...........

Now in in regards to shot shape.  in specificity to my reason for using the PLM being short game.  Shot shape is hardly relevant on everyday 10y-70y shots, How often and how much effort would it be to work the ball and apply enough side spin with a low lofted club which struggles to put side spin while adding a lot more back spin?

But for short game and a PLM, you can try out different affects of, ball position, opening and closing the face,  length of grip.

Now with your stated point that for Normal shots lets say 100y and further,  yes ball direction is important. Yet I further debate it, that from my experience. What I may want to first work on is basics of strike or even clarification of optimal strike (This then really depends on the players needs) .  So seeing relevant Smash factors, meaning swing speed to ball speed ratio.  Seeing the difference of spin and launch angle depending on how I swing at the ball (AoA affects) Ball placements/positioning etc. Gets my working on basics first before going to the range and beating balls with no data to clarify if I am obtaining optimal strikes to begin with.

While true lower end systems do not give ball direction.  I can then go to a live range or on the course to "clarify" my direction. yet if I am obtaining ball striking efficiencies at home good smash factors, good launch angles and good spin. I then either have to figure if my alignment is off or if my face angles are off at impact if I have directional issues.

Cont. 

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Now the other reason for use is, Optimal Ball flight.  Most people have delusion of grandeur ( I was and still have it once in a great while) .  Thinking we all hit it 300 yards.   But in reality having ball data can really calm our expectations.

Example.

I have have factually hit 300 yard drives.   Does this mean this is in my consistent shot and available shot, NO absolutely not.  Why do I know this?

I have an Average swing speed of 102mph.  This means with an absolute perfect smash of 1.5 I would max out at 153mph ball speed.  I learned this from using the PLM and other LM at stores as such.

Can I get 300y drivers from an optimal ball flight with 153mph ball speed.  NO, the absolute best distance I can achieve is;

153mph ball speed, 17* launch angle, 1700rps of spin = 258.9y carry 267.9y total, No where near 300y, for me to chase it because I did it once in a great while is both foolish and unrealisitic.

image.png.d95e21717b5071b9480df0da45d17df4.png

With an absolute smash of 1.5 and the most optimal launch conditions.

Realistically based on my physical abilities, I only obtain 15* of launch and 2200rpms of spin with any regularity. 

image.png.9e2dc0391e1d472619015cc73afa2299.png
Thus giving me 253.9y of carry and 262.3 yards total OPTIMAL in smash

See the flight at the range would NOT give me this kind of detail without a PLM.  I can hook it all day or slice it off the planet but it still would not verify optimal ball flights or the ball flights I am having.

Now dial it even further back from 1.5 smash to 1.47smash with any regularity and we are look 149mph ball speeds and 245yards carry  254y total.  This the reality to which I can play within my ability and expectation.

Now imagine a precision shot like a PW, to which I average about 130-135y knowing my, swing speed,  ball speed, (smash/efficiency) launch angle, spin is critical to give me the most confidence for that specific shot.  The PLM allows me to practice and see if I am obtaining this optimal flight and distance with regularity.  If I am hitting them 110-145  that means my ball striking sucks.  Direction will be evident at how crappy my swing is.

But building off an average of swing speed,  then apply optimal ball flights then practicing with a unit to achieve the optimal ball flights is very helpful.

Just my opinion of course. 

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Thank you all for the responses.  I just picked up a Rapsodo, I hope to get a session or two with it this week.  The short game comments really sold me on it.  My course has a pitching green that’s always busy, but not a lot of short targets on the range.  Dialing in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 shots will be huge.  The video feedback on swings in interested in too. 

• Like 2

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

I look forward to hearing the feedback, I have a friend who just got the Rapsodo, I havent seen it yet but I have been debating between that on the SC 300i myself. From what little i've read so far, one of the things I actually like about the SC 300i is I can use it without having to have the app up and running and still get some baseline numbers. Mine would be pretty much all outdoor use so tracking ball flight im not really worried about as I can/will see it.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

7 minutes ago, adam2883 said:

I look forward to hearing the feedback, I have a friend who just got the Rapsodo, I havent seen it yet but I have been debating between that on the SC 300i myself. From what little i've read so far, one of the things I actually like about the SC 300i is I can use it without having to have the app up and running and still get some baseline numbers. Mine would be pretty much all outdoor use so tracking ball flight im not really worried about as I can/will see it.

I would go with the Mevo if you aren't concerned with left/right ball flight.

11 minutes ago, adam2883 said:

2 minutes ago, harpua728 said:

I would go with the Mevo if you aren't concerned with left/right ball flight.

If I might put my 2 sense in based on your comments.

1) Make sure you know exactly WHAT specs you are buying each unit has different parameters and how it displays. (Ball speed, Club speed, Smash, Launch, Apex, Spin etc etc)

2) The SC300 will NOT show spin on the unit stand alone. You will need the app to get spin FYI.

3) The Mevo will not give you any data without a Tablet/phone. So its not a set it and forget it. You have to have a device running with it.  So if you listen to music on the range with head phones you need to get creative with your mobile device or have to carry 2 devices.

My personal choice was then the ES14 and now the ESB1  ($500 price range all the same)

The ES14's  downfall is the forward 14" and right 14" (right handed golfer)  So its RIGHT there near a shank LOL.  Sorta like the GC Quad. a little sketchy. BUT you do not need any app as it has a LED screen on the top that gives all the ball data.  You can us an App,  but you dont really really need it.

the ESB1 is slightly updated and you know set it up behind the golfer rather than to the side and forward.

Anyways just sharing my direct experience with using the ES14 vs SC100 I had a while and trying out a Mevo.  Buddy has a Mevo+ but dang $3,200 (COVID panic) and having to setup a whole hitting station to really enjoy it... its a lot of work.....

• Like 3

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

1 hour ago, Exactice808 said:

If I might put my 2 sense in based on your comments.

1) Make sure you know exactly WHAT specs you are buying each unit has different parameters and how it displays. (Ball speed, Club speed, Smash, Launch, Apex, Spin etc etc)

2) The SC300 will NOT show spin on the unit stand alone. You will need the app to get spin FYI.

3) The Mevo will not give you any data without a Tablet/phone. So its not a set it and forget it. You have to have a device running with it.  So if you listen to music on the range with head phones you need to get creative with your mobile device or have to carry 2 devices.

My personal choice was then the ES14 and now the ESB1  ($500 price range all the same)

The ES14's  downfall is the forward 14" and right 14" (right handed golfer)  So its RIGHT there near a shank LOL.  Sorta like the GC Quad. a little sketchy. BUT you do not need any app as it has a LED screen on the top that gives all the ball data.  You can us an App,  but you dont really really need it.

the ESB1 is slightly updated and you know set it up behind the golfer rather than to the side and forward.

Anyways just sharing my direct experience with using the ES14 vs SC100 I had a while and trying out a Mevo.  Buddy has a Mevo+ but dang $3,200 (COVID panic) and having to setup a whole hitting station to really enjoy it... its a lot of work.....

Appreciate the great feedback, for sure still in the research phase and will make sure what I get will work for what I really want. In the past I had sort of always figured if I got one I would get the Mevo but having ready some comparisons and reviews several people rated the Rapsodo and SC300 above that, have to say according to the Mevo website...not getting total distance is a little disappointing but not the end of the world, and yes the Mevo+ is out of the budget of what I want to spend.

Good to know and I now see it on the website about needing the app for the spin on the SC300 which is not a problem, again I just liked the option of being able to use it without having the app up for whatever reason.

I will for sure look into the ES14 and ESB1 to see what they have to offer, as well as checking out my buddies Rapsodo first hand.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

Interesting topic because I had that same question after picking up a Mevo.  I've used it for two big things:

1.) Marry Garmin total disance data to Mevo carry data to get a better idea of how far everything goes.

2.) Work on laddering shots, especially the wedges.

I have used both Game Golf (while it was still operational) for about 170 rounds and Garmin S20/S62 for at least that many plus a few years before that so I know what my average total distances are.  Those two devices have helped me immensely.

One of the downsides about just using Garmin alone is that I haven't figured out an easy way to isolate certain rounds or periods of rounds (e.g. last 5 rounds) like I was able to in Game Golf, but the data is useful none the less.

Here's an example of what that data looks like:

image.png.3f8a3a4929cb7bafd2edb09f5b139360.png

After getting the Mevo and a few range sessions with it, I was able to export the data into a spreadsheet and marry it with my Garmin data to get a carry distance and total distance guide.  It'll help me figure out if I make swing changes or club changes what that will do to my overall distance and gapping.

image.png.3f66fe66f3dd4ccead4e02604142ca82.png

The BIGGEST benefit that I've seen through the use of the PLM is in my short game.  As others had mentioned, use on pitching has been super helpful, but the wedges in general have helped a lot by helping me understand how to better "ladder" my wedges.  What does a 75 yard swing look like?  What does a 50 yard swing look like?

Here's a good example!  This past weekend I had multiple shots in the SW/LW range.  On 18, I had a 74 yard wedge shot over water onto 18.  Since working with the PLM this year, I am better able to feel what a 75 yard shot should be based and have a reference point to where I should be on the "clock".

image.png.f2c3f42aba9835619856d6338e55aa1d.png

For me, it has been a worthwhile investment since many of the courses I play aren't super long and I do have more wedges into greens than I did before. 

I think it is important to understand where some of the shortfalls come into whatever model you pick.  For example, the Mevo is really great at getting the ball speed, launch, and carry distances correct (law of averages over a large enough data set, which I'm still building).  However, it does not measure club speed accurately (one of the reasons the smash in the data set is so low, overestimation of swing speed happens quite a bit so you have to backwards math into the rough average of swing speed by using the smash factor and ball speed alone (just another calculated column in my data set).  I don't think spin rate is actually that far off from what I typically see either and my data set is using range balls.  

I will say that you will need to make some adjustments to the data (or the settings within the Mevo) if using range balls because (I'm guessing) the ball speed will typically be lower than normal balls.  From the data above, my actual carry distances on the course are about 8-10 yards lower than they should be (using TP5X on the course).

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Im going to echo specifically ALL (Budget) units struggle to get accurate "Swing Speeds".  Partially my understanding is if its a single Doppler, vs Dual Doppler, vs Camera vs location of measurement on the club face. TM measures middle, other units pick up where ever, so it could be the heal, the middle or the toe.

My SC100 struggled but the ball speeds were solid

My ES14 struggles but the Ball speeds are very solid

I have put the SC100 vs ES14 both indoor and outdoor and they match up quiet well. The difference is the Distances due to Preset in the SC100 system. No loft adjustments.  The ES system allows for custom loft selection and altitude adjustments for better distance accuracy

I will say  surprising the SC100 for shots 150y and in it SOLID and pretty darn on it. 

The ES14 for what its worth is very accurate for what I am achieving. This is separating good balls and bad balls at the range lasering targets and even going on course and hitting shot with the ES14 & SC100 in the past.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

The ES14 for what its worth is very accurate for what I am achieving. This is separating good balls and bad balls at the range lasering targets and even going on course and hitting shot with the ES14 & SC100 in the past.

I was really debating between the ES14, ESB1, and the Mevo.  What I liked about the ESB1 is that I didn't have to use my phone or Apple Watch to read the distances since the ESB1 had the digital read-out on the unit.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

13 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

I was really debating between the ES14, ESB1, and the Mevo.  What I liked about the ESB1 is that I didn't have to use my phone or Apple Watch to read the distances since the ESB1 had the digital read-out on the unit.

If I wasn't such a cheap skate and didn't do the COVID Panic buy I would have bought the ESB1.

I managed to get a used ES14 for $300,  $250 savings from the $550 ESB1.

Other than that.... again Ernest sport just worked the best for my needs. 

• Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 4/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, Exactice808 said:

So for the $500 I spent (Actually used on the bay for $300)  

Great value in my book! 

Indoor short game practice and calibration is my intended use case also. The ES14 has proven to be accurate?

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

21 minutes ago, dekez said:

Indoor short game practice and calibration is my intended use case also. The ES14 has proven to be accurate?

From my experience yes It has been very accurate.

The ball speed numbers, the spin numbers. Launch angle.

I have walked of shots with a grooved swings and its been pretty dead on.

The only Catch  and say only catch.

Carry vs Total.

I have it setup as carry.  But in reality I play it as "total"  meaning when im hitting a 20y shot on the ES14.  I can play the shot 3 ways.

Ball in front with an open face, Higher launch angle, less ball speed, less spin.  It will carry about 17-19y to the hole and trickle. to 20y.

Ball in middle of stance, regular face, mid launch slightly more spin, will carry abut 17y one hop check and trickle to hole

ball in back of stance, deloft, lower launch, more spin, this will carry about 15y, take 1 hard bounce and check immediately about 19-20y from hole

But on the ES 14 all these shots will show up as 20y shots, As it wont show me these finalized reactions.  What It will show is the Launch angle and spin differences.  But I will practice shots at home then go to course either live or at a short game practice area and "clarify".  Its been WONDERFUL to see what I can do with the data and trying new things with "clarification".

I then use all my wedges so I have a predetermined distance with my LW, SW, AW & PW, with different grips, different ball positions.  I have 15y to 70y completely covered in 5y increments. All walked off and verified now due to the ES14. 

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 1

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 4/19/2021 at 3:59 PM, hammersia said:

“edification

/ˌɛdɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/

noun

FORMAL

Wow, I feel edified!!

Just kidding, you had a lot of good info to share and made some great points.

10 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

From my experience yes It has been very accurate.

The ball speed numbers, the spin numbers. Launch angle.

I have walked of shots with a grooved swings and its been pretty dead on.

The only Catch  and say only catch.

Carry vs Total.

I have it setup as carry.  But in reality I play it as "total"  meaning when im hitting a 20y shot on the ES14.  I can play the shot 3 ways.

Ball in front with an open face, Higher launch angle, less ball speed, less spin.  It will carry about 17-19y to the hole and trickle. to 20y.

Ball in middle of stance, regular face, mid launch slightly more spin, will carry abut 17y one hop check and trickle to hole

ball in back of stance, deloft, lower launch, more spin, this will carry about 15y, take 1 hard bounce and check immediately about 19-20y from hole

But on the ES 14 all these shots will show up as 20y shots, As it wont show me these finalized reactions.  What It will show is the Launch angle and spin differences.  But I will practice shots at home then go to course either live or at a short game practice area and "clarify".  Its been WONDERFUL to see what I can do with the data and trying new things with "clarification".

I then use all my wedges so I have a predetermined distance with my LW, SW, AW & PW, with different grips, different ball positions.  I have 15y to 70y completely covered in 5y increments. All walked off and verified now due to the ES14. 

I have 3 shots also:

The skull - goes 10 x intended distance with no trajectory

The chop - goes 1/10th intended distance with one hop and a stop

OK - lands within two yards of intended carry

• Haha 1

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

I've been thinking about getting a PLM, too, considering the Rapsodo and Mevo, but the thing I keep going back to is that I'd primarily be using it at the range, and I don't know what useful info I'd really be able to get by getting launch data with range balls. I feel like there would always be some kind of conversion I'd need to do to any numbers I see, so it wouldn't really help to dial in distances all that much. Does anyone who has been using a PLM for a while have any thoughts about whether that's a valid concern, or how you handle the difference between range balls and what you play on the course?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

17 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I've been thinking about getting a PLM, too, considering the Rapsodo and Mevo, but the thing I keep going back to is that I'd primarily be using it at the range, and I don't know what useful info I'd really be able to get by getting launch data with range balls. I feel like there would always be some kind of conversion I'd need to do to any numbers I see, so it wouldn't really help to dial in distances all that much. Does anyone who has been using a PLM for a while have any thoughts about whether that's a valid concern, or how you handle the difference between range balls and what you play on the course?

I have the Mevo and there is an altitude setting that you can use to normalize range ball data.  Your best bet is to hit a few old balls that you have in your bag to get your true distance with a certain club.  Then hit range balls with the same club and play with the altitude setting until the range balls numbers match your normal ball numbers.  Voila!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, harpua728 said:

I have the Mevo and there is an altitude setting that you can use to normalize range ball data.  Your best bet is to hit a few old balls that you have in your bag to get your true distance with a certain club.  Then hit range balls with the same club and play with the altitude setting until the range balls numbers match your normal ball numbers.  Voila!

Yep!  I've seen a few videos on YouTube (haven't had time to test myself), but the altitude setting needs to go up by about 5,000 feet to account for the range ball differences.  I've typically seen an 8-10 yard drop off consistently through the bag when I compare actuals to Mevo.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

1 minute ago, CactusGolf said:

Yep!  I've seen a few videos on YouTube (haven't had time to test myself), but the altitude setting needs to go up by about 5,000 feet to account for the range ball differences.  I've typically seen an 8-10 yard drop off consistently through the bag when I compare actuals to Mevo.

I've used 1,000 feet with success.

• Like 1

Just now, harpua728 said:

I've used 1,000 feet with success.

I'll have to start there and see what it does!  I was happy to see that the range ball drop off was consistent across the bag (from what I've seen so far).

Did you use zero as your base +1,000 or your actual elevation +1,000 as your mark?

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link