Personal Launch Monitor...anyone gone down that road?

5 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

Of course carry. 

Spin, launch angle, height, all affect carry and G80 measures none of these.  How do you plan to trust something with just ball speed alone?  

3-5 yard difference on a short iron is huge!  It can mean the difference between being next to the pin vs short and in a pot bunker.  

If you are complaining about 3-5 yard difference enjoy paying $10,000+ for a launch monitor because that is within tolerance for any of the sub 5 digit monitors. Side note if you are going pinhunting where a 3 yard miss equals a pot bunker you have got one heck of a pair!

Edited by BloctonGolf11

1 minute ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

If you are complaining about 3-5 yard difference enjoy paying $10,000+ for a launch monitor because that is within tolerance for any of the sub 5 digit monitors. 

No need.  There's always the old way of hitting 10 balls on an empty course.

Again, wrong data is worst than no data.

1 minute ago, mrshinsa said:

No need.  There's always the old way of hitting 10 balls on an empty course.

Again, wrong data is worst than no data.

And I guarantee you within those 10 balls you will see 3-5 yards of difference in dispersion at least so you are going to have to average it out. G80 gives you a good idea just like an ES14, Mevo, Rhapsodo, or the other monitors in this category.  Reliable data is still good data and from what most tests have shown is the G80 is on par with the other monitors of this category.

4 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

And I guarantee you within those 10 balls you will see 3-5 yards of difference in dispersion at least so you are going to have to average it out. G80 gives you a good idea just like an ES14, Mevo, Rhapsodo, or the other monitors in this category.  Reliable data is still good data and from what most tests have shown is the G80 is on par with the other monitors of this category.

No need for back and forth rant.  I'm not trying to persuade or convince anyone.

You'll see it first hand what I mean when you try it.    If you love it great, enjoy it and have fun. 

I only tell it from my personal experience and wasted time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrshinsa said:

No need for back and forth rant.  I'm not trying to persuade or convince anyone.

You'll see it first hand what I mean when you try it.    If you love it great, enjoy it and have fun. 

I only tell it from my personal experience and wasted time.  

We will see tomorrow! I am hoping it is close to Trackman range numbers but I am also not totally confident as I am always suspect of tech, I am going off the information others here and respected reviewers have posted. If it is within 3-5 yards that is solid data at that price point in my opinion. If not we will strictly  use it for what we got it for, the GPS to keep his slow butt playing quickly. 👌

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:20 AM, heavy_hitter said:

I think if I were purchasing brand new I would take a hard look at the SC300 and Ernst Sports ESB1.

In the end if I really was going to make a purchase would probably end up being the Mevo+.

The SC300 is a terrible purchase. The unit itself isn't bad (not great either), but the necessary app is absolute garbage and there is no customer support from either. I had one for 3 months and got lucky that Amazon gave me a full refund. 

• Like 2

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Just received the mevo+ using backyard net.   Initial thoughts with driver seems off.  For instance 78 SS and only flying 160 with 3 yards of roll for a total of 163.  On course, he hits it anywhere between 195-210 with roll.  Spin is at like 5,000 rpm.  On trackman he was struggling to get spin above1,900.  I need more time with it and taking it to the course over the next few days to at least get some good distance figures.    Will report back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kekoa said:

Just received the mevo+ using backyard net.   Initial thoughts with driver seems off.  For instance 78 SS and only flying 160 with 3 yards of roll for a total of 163.  On course, he hits it anywhere between 195-210 with roll.  Spin is at like 5,000 rpm.  On trackman he was struggling to get spin above1,900.  I need more time with it and taking it to the course over the next few days to at least get some good distance figures.    Will report back.

What you are seeing and some of the issues I have had with the unit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kekoa said:

A lot of times a backyard net will cause problems as the unit does not have the space to make accurate readings. Ran into this last night playing with our new G80 and have run into it with our ES14 on occasion. The G80 was reading crazy low for my son but once we took it to the crappy driving range down the road the numbers were dead on. Unless you have it set up just right, which can be tricky with a backyard net you always have to assume you are going to have some funky numbers. 

• Like 1

We took the unit to the range yesterday.  In outdoor mode, carry distance was much more accurate, but roll is still only about 3-6 yards when I can visually see the ball roll out 15-20 yards.  I'm wondering if I change the conditions to 'firm' if this will help.  Also, what is off is the ball flight.  For instance I see the ball go dead straight and the mevo says pull, draw, or fade.  I'm hoping we can fine tune the unit to get better readings across the board.  After seeing range results, I'm not sure its even worth using at home with a net anymore.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kekoa said:

We took the unit to the range yesterday.  In outdoor mode, carry distance was much more accurate, but roll is still only about 3-6 yards when I can visually see the ball roll out 15-20 yards.  I'm wondering if I change the conditions to 'firm' if this will help.  Also, what is off is the ball flight.  For instance I see the ball go dead straight and the mevo says pull, draw, or fade.  I'm hoping we can fine tune the unit to get better readings across the board.  After seeing range results, I'm not sure its even worth using at home with a net anymore.  

1. Change the ground conditions to firm (or hard...I forget what the setting is).  The roll/total will be closer. 

2. Double check the target alignment.  We have generally found that the shot shape is accurate.

For us on the range off a mat:   18* tilt, +/-0.2* roll, 8 feet from ball to unit, 1" tee height (do not change when hitting driver off tee as this setting really means "height of ball compared to unit". Technically, unit "automatically" adjusts when you select driver as the club in FS Golf).  We got to the 18* tilt setting through trial and error....YMMV.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

You should not care about roll on a monitor unless it is a high level trackman that actually follows the ball the entire way, otherwise it is completely blind guessing using an algorithm that is still wildly guessing. Monitors can get extremely close on carry, on roll they are just taking shots in the dark. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

You should not care about roll on a monitor unless it is a high level trackman that actually follows the ball the entire way, otherwise it is completely blind guessing using an algorithm that is still wildly guessing. Monitors can get extremely close on carry, on roll they are just taking shots in the dark. 

Yup I noticed that yesterday.  The readings come out before the ball even touches the ground so your comment above is spot on.  thanks.

35 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Yup I noticed that yesterday.  The readings come out before the ball even touches the ground so your comment above is spot on.  thanks.

The mevo and mevo+ designed to be used indoor mode which you have to have the right settings for that. Mevo+ has both short indoor and indoor. Also stickers on the ball to help with spin. But you will notice that outside as well the readings will happen before the ball hits the ground. 

59 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I am in complete agreement. Carry is king. 

I've been reading this thread and I think its worth repeating that these units do pretty well on well struck shots and that was my Mevo experience. On poorly struck shots not so much. But then again, if I need technology to tell me its a crappy shot, I have bigger problems that a launch monitor will not help me with. And honestly, these radar based solutions have limitations, especially indoors in tight spaces. I wouldn't buy the Mevo+  for the indoor putting simulation.  So if you want something versatile, you will have to weigh out all the options and what you really are trying to accomplish.  

I ended up parting with mine because I accomplished what I wanted, nailed down some wedge distances and trajectories and decided to rent time if I need to get into the weeds. If I ever decide to get an outdoor setup I would look at Mevo+ as their software is starting to mature and get better especially with the higher swing speeds around driver. The only caveat is you have to use good quality range balls. 

Good luck everyone! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Trackman can track the roll too? That’s pretty impressive. My Tour Xi tracks the entire ball flight, but calculates the roll out. 

18 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Trackman can track the roll too? That’s pretty impressive. My Tour Xi tracks the entire ball flight, but calculates the roll out. 

Yeah I misspoke/need to clarify. I was meaning to say tracks the entire flight and makes a better calculation of the rollout. For instance on our trackman range the rollout is very very very close to actual rollout compared to another simulator. The trackman's and Xi's can give you a better roll calculation due to tracking the entire flight compared to a Mevo or other monitor. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11

So took the G80 out yesterday and I was impressed. On poorly struck shots the readings were nutty, which is common on any of the sub $5000 monitors so you obviously throw those out. However, on 95% of well struck shots the G80 was well within what I would call a tolerance, 3-5 yards, of our Trackman Range. A few shots were funky but overall it was very close and I consider the numbers to be fairly reliable. It isn't a high dollar monitor, nor is it pretending to be, but if you take a large data set of shots (20+ per club) you will get an accurate idea of the range of each club. Considering you get this, plus a top of the line GPS, I think it is a GREAT option. My son really enjoyed the games on it too. Helped vary up his range session and the "simulated round" made him hit a variety of clubs and gave him good targets for hitting some different shots which was fun. I think for a junior it is honestly a great investment. 

Not my son's best struck drive btw but here was a comparison on a drive. 🤣

IMG_0701.PNG

IMG_0702.jpg

Edited by BloctonGolf11

Here's the only Trackman4 (~$25K + yearly subscription) vs Mevo+ ($2K) comparison I have been able to find.  If my 10 year old junior was tearing up tournaments and beating older kids all the time, I'd be in a Trackman4.   Unfortunately, that's not my kid (yet).

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=254816&d=1585219517

Edited by wildcatden
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Here's the only Trackman4 (~$25K + yearly subscription) vs Mevo+ ($2K) comparison I have been able to find.  If my 10 year old junior was tearing up tournaments and beating older kids all the time, I'd be in a Trackman4.   Unfortunately, that's not my kid (yet).

Telling chart there. Unless you are going to drop serious money on a GC2, Quad, or Trackman there will always be compromises. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Telling chart there. Unless you are going to drop serious money on a GC2, Quad, or Trackman there will always be compromises. 

Agree.  Looking at individual shots might drive you crazy, but looking at the averages, I'm OK with the differences and spending $22K+ less. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

Agree.  Looking at individual shots might drive you crazy, but looking at the averages, I'm OK with the differences and spending $22K+ less. 

Ding ding ding. Too many people get wrapped up in "Oh this shot was 10 yards off" If you hit 20 balls and know anything about math and statistics you can get a pretty dang good idea of how far each of your clubs are going. The 20K units are great for fitters and teachers but honestly a G80, regular Mevo, ES14, etc. will get the job done and help 99% of golfers dial in distances just fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildcatden said:

One thing to note is some is how they get Swing Speed is different. Quad vs TM will even show a difference of swing speed so in this case its not that Mevo is WRONG is just gets its number differently. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Thanks for that.  I can also live with the minor differences with the benefit of huge savings.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Thanks for that.  I can also live with the minor differences with the benefit of huge savings.  

Since you have access to a TM I would run a test like this to see what you get. Slower swing speeds sometimes these radars have a hard time picking up the numbers the same. I've noticed on some it won't even read a LW at times. I've thought about going to an indoor TM rental and doing a test for fun.