Callaway SuperSofts - What part of my game is suffering from using them?

Interesting for me with this ball.  I tied my own course record with a 62 using this ball in January, -10, 8 birdies and an eagle.  Since then I tried the new tru feel from Titleist.  It was worse than the previous version for me in all areas; distance, trajectory, short game feel etc.  I tried the new hammer control from top flite. Same issues- worse than the previous version.  I am starting to think the 2 piece balls got so close to the expensive ones in performance for the regular golfer that they are now dialing back some of the balls so the difference is enough for guys to spend more money.  For now I am still using the SS as I get them with credit in my mens league.  It is very similar to the soft feel so I will keep using it until I find something better.  It is a very good ball for my game.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First 2 rounds at altitude for the new superfast and supersoft. Started withe the superfast and it felt a little clickly early on so switched to the supersoft after 3 holes.  Ball was perfect fit up here at 5000 ft. Plenty of length and rollout, consistent on the greens. Course got a new superintendent and he has the greens in the best shape I’ve seen in years.

the result were amazing for me. I’ve played these courses a lot since we got a weekend place in 04. Came within one shot of my best score on the south course with a 67 on a par 72. Then played the north yesterday and shot my lowest score ever with a 65 on a par 71. Had 6 birdies and an eagle. Hit 15 greens each round. The ball really matches my game and my club set up is a mess right now. I had 9 different brands for 13 clubs yesterday.  The ball delivers.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, munichop said:

First 2 rounds at altitude for the new superfast and supersoft. Started withe the superfast and it felt a little clickly early on so switched to the supersoft after 3 holes.  Ball was perfect fit up here at 5000 ft. Plenty of length and rollout, consistent on the greens. Course got a new superintendent and he has the greens in the best shape I’ve seen in years.

the result were amazing for me. I’ve played these courses a lot since we got a weekend place in 04. Came within one shot of my best score on the south course with a 67 on a par 72. Then played the north yesterday and shot my lowest score ever with a 65 on a par 71. Had 6 birdies and an eagle. Hit 15 greens each round. The ball really matches my game and my club set up is a mess right now. I had 9 different brands for 13 clubs yesterday.  The ball delivers.

Appreciate the 2 piece reviews as always. I've always played 2 piece balls. But, recently used and I'm tempted by some urethane balls like QST or Vice Pro Plus for additional greenside spin. I know you can't go wrong with the lower priced point SuperSoft or Soft Feel. Is there a big difference between the two, other than price?

Edited by Tanner25

I have played the west but not the vice.  The west is a very good ball and I think you can bend it a little easier than the 2 piece models. I thought it launched pretty high for a urethane ball which helps me. It does spin a little more than surlyn balls around the green and is a little more firm off the club face.

I played the Cally SS for about 3 years, in the matte green version. I did enjoy being in the fairway off the tee, but felt I was losing distance(80 mph swing speed), and control around the green. Had a hard time trying to get it to check. Tried a much firmer ball in the Pinnacle Rush. Great distance, but a little tough to get it check on the green. Wedges were hard to control, but it was a little better than the SS. Switched to the TopFlite Hammer Control yellow. Good distance, nice manners around the green. I can get it to check on a well struck shot, with some rollout. Putting is smooth, just like the Cally SS..It's a ball that feels good off the club face, and what's not to like about that. Played  one round with 2 fellows that did not have a great round. I outdrove them on every hole in the round, with a Cally SS. And it was by some 30-40 yards every tee. They kept asking what ball I was playing! Both were just playing what they find on the course. I asked them both if they wanted to play a couple of holes with my ball. Nope! I said "your loss". Well, if you like the Callaway SuperSoft, play it! 

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

I'm continuously surprised at the distance I get out of the SS.  I certainly don't have the fastest swing speed, but I certainly don't have the slowest either.  It's been a loooooooong time since I knew what that number was, but my best guess is that with a driver it hovers around 102-104mph.  I've been playing this ball since its release.  Prior to that, it was other tour models Callaway had starting around 2007 or so, so I played with the Tour i, Tour i(s), and whatever variations came after that, leading to the SuperSoft.  Prior to THAT, I was playing ProV1.

I've been able to sneak on my local course a lot over the past few weeks.  That has allowed me to play multiple balls - the SS, and whatever else I had lingering in my bag.  In order for me to find what ball truly is best for me, I would need a LOT of time with a LOT of balls, and I simply don't have that.  I stick with the SS mostly because of the feel, and partly because of the distance I get.

Today I played it side-by-side with a ProV1.  In most cases, I was about 10+ yards longer with the SS.   I feel as if I can hit it straighter because of the lower spin rate - a detriment to some for control but a benefit to me for accuracy.   I hit a drive close to 300 yards today, and had it not been for it catching part of the rough I believe I would have done so.  I basically saw the general direction it went, then chased after it.  When I finally got to the ball, I had to look back at the tee, then the ball, then the tee, and I couldn't believe how short of an approach I had to the green.  This is common for me with the SS.

The next hole was a 169 par 3.  I hit the SS clean and flush, and flew it 169 with a 7-iron, dead center.  It rolled out another 5-7 yards.  With the exact same swing, I was about 4 yards shorter, so 165, with very little roll.  So figure I ended up hitting the ProV1 about 163.  I used to hit my 6-iron 165 max with an aggressive swing, so now I'm basically a club longer.  Part of that is due to better mechanics, but part of that is because of the SS.

I start to swing harder, unknowingly, if I catch a few balls solidly, which is not good for me.  I would much rather make a easy, controlled swing than try to muscle any club.  For the longest time I would hit a PW from anywhere between 80-120 yards, just by controlling the length of my backswing.  If I try to hit wedges hard, forget it - shank city.  The SS allows me to easily reach 130-135 with a PW with what feels like 80-85% effort, and now I know I can get a 7-iron to about 170 with that same effort.  That's nuts, because I remember a time when my 7-iron was my 150 club.

I'm being very long-winded here.  The point is that for whatever crazy reason this ball works WELL for me.  I think I'm a good enough player to play any tour ball, but the combination of distance and feel I get from the SS has made it the only ball I've played for years.  It's reasonably priced, perfect for me off the putter, and I feel like I can truly compress the thing.  If I put some zip on it, I don't have a problem making it check up.  It's my favorite piece of equipment; sometimes I feel like I'm cheating.

Edited by vaca22
  • Like 1

Come full circle on 2 piece balls. You can chip with them fine. I tend to get more distance with my 90 MPH with a 2 piece. I’ve always used them in the past and came back to them again. SuperSoft, TruFeel , Tour Soft, or etc. Many brands are very useable in this category. I’ve gone back and forth between the SuperSoft and TruFeel ( and it’s predecessor the TruSoft) when the new release comes out I switched.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I’m not picky with balls. Love me a laddie xtreme. Also love chrome soft x.   But could happily play either of those polar opposite balls. As the height often mitigates the spin of a Urethane ball. (There are situations where only a urethane ball will stop). 

That said I hate the super soft. It’s mush on the putter. Has zero spin on short chips and pitches. I could probably figure out how to play it but would not want to. That said, my friend loooooves the super soft. But he always plays low runners and will putt anything he can, even from bunkers.

Full swings will make less difference. 

Driver 8* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

4 Iron 19.5* F9 One Length KBS Tour 80 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

22* & 25* SIM DHY Tour AD-DI 85 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

I like my 2 piece balls. I can see that you guys are fans of 2 piece balls too. I have tried to make "better" balls part of my bag, but I keep hitting them into ball purgatory. The spin that helps around the green, hurts me off the tee. So, I play a 2 piece ball-TopFlite Hammer Control yellow. In the fairway off the tee, comes off my hybrid irons with a higher flight, and around the green, is a ball with nice manners. It won't spin back(never could do that), but I can get it to check, and roll out with my CBX2's. My wedges work well with the dimple in dimple cover. Been playing this ball for 4 rounds, and my game is really coming around. Lower scores every round, as playing from the fairway makes a HUGE difference. This is my gamer for the season! I am playing mid 90's right now, so lets see how low I can get. Over at MGS, I have a thread going about playing 2 piece balls. Who is playing them? Why? What do you like about them? What don't you like. What ball are you playing? Most of the replies I get is" you should be playing a better ball that spins around the green". I told them it doesn't help off the tee, but they insist I would be better off. They keep telling me about 2fer deals, or that it will only cost me less than a $1 a ball to step up. I really don't need to step up, as I am playing some of the best golf than I have in quite some years. And this 2 piece ball is helping me do that! Your thoughts ????

• Like 2

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

On 7/14/2022 at 6:36 AM, Tanner25 said:

Appreciate the 2 piece reviews as always. I've always played 2 piece balls. But, recently used and I'm tempted by some urethane balls like QST or Vice Pro Plus for additional greenside spin. I know you can't go wrong with the lower priced point SuperSoft or Soft Feel. Is there a big difference between the two, other than price?

The new QSTs are nice. I got a sleeve in a tourney and liked them so much I bought 3 dozen in the B2G1 sale last month. I played some good rounds with them. The biggest difference for me were partial wedges stuck a bit more.  And for whatever reason my irons were a hair longer. Something I really wasn't looking for, but found they consistently did.

But when I had a singles match last week in my Men's League, the SuperSoft got the call. The biggest difference for me is it is SO good off the tee.  

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I've played these and found when I was hitting fairways and greens they were just fine, where I struggled with them was when missing greens, short siding myself like I often do I just struggled greenside with these balls getting them close to the hole, lack of spin on half shots etc.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

It's funny how high-speed players will do seemingly anything to reduce spin off the driver EXCEPT choose a ball that spins less. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Decided to give the SuperSoft a go next week. Compare it to my TruFeel.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

I had enough reward points from Target, and I needed some hi visibility balls so I ended up getting a dozen of the super soft in the matte green. I'm glad to see some positive reviews. I kind of waffle between 2 piece surlyns  and a pro v1x clone in the cut blue. I've been using the cut red a lot, but also have used Hammer control, softfli, noodle, wilson and a lot of others. I've found I almost play better with the 2 piece surlyn, even if it's just incrementally better. I think them being livelier off the putter helps with my miss of the dreaded decelerations. I might give up some spin but I generally try more of a bump and run style chipping anyways. 

Edited by Roejye

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

On 4/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, 7018 said:

Appreciate the insights!  Feeling off the putter face has given me so much more confidence for some reason.  I have noticed a little lack of spin around the green but overall, I think I am sticking with them for now.  Thanks guys!

I’m the opposite. I can’t stand the feeling off the putter face. I consider myself a bit more of a finesse player, but I can’t control two piece balls at all once I get near the green. I want my ball to provide a little more resistance.

I know others love them, but I can’t get them to work for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the feel of the matte finish neon ones.

The only time I play them is in cold weather, below 42°??????

Usually, my go to ball in winter is Superhot matte finish.

During hot summer I've always played a Bridgestone BRX, or Cally Chromesoft.

For about the past month, my choice is a  Prov1.

The Pro V let's  me hit short wedge shots that check up even if I don't hit it perfect.

Around  the green, the other balls were rolling out too much.

Well been playing the SuperSoft for a few rounds comparing them with the TruFeel. I can’t tell much difference but seem to hit the SuperSoft a little further. Being a distance Ho , without much gas left at 63, I’m sticking with them.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

• 5 months later...

I absolutely can’t stand the way the matte colored Super Soft balls feel off the putter. It’s almost like the rubbery texture causes them to grab the green and in turn don’t roll nearly as fast or true as a normal textured ball.  

Anyone else notice this or have this problem?  I still have an unused dozen in green that I’m hoping Edwin Watts will give me store credit for.  

Edited by 'Noles2013