Some questions about equipment for 13 and 14 year olds just starting the game

As are many people on this site, I'm a golf and equipment nut. However, I recently had a co-worker ask me for advice about getting clubs for her 13 and 14 year old boys and I've never had to equip a junior. They are both 5'6" (1.68m) and fairly athletic. Never played golf before.

Height wise they are on the cusp of adult length equipment. Are there junior sets aimed at this age/height? This family does not have a lot of disposable income so they are trying to keep costs low.  I was thinking for starters I could cut down a couple of my older sets by an inch or two. I have plenty of surplus gear and I do my own club work so it would be free. I know it's not ideal but it's also a probably a good idea to keep costs as low as possible at first to see if the boys really enjoy the game. No sense in paying hundreds of dollars for equipment if they end up not liking the game.

Do you think cutting down an adult set would be OK to start? If not, what should I be looking for that is not terribly expensive?

If you use the Ping fitting guide as an estimate....at 5'6", they are both going to be very close to standard length clubs. Perhaps cut down 1/2".   Wrist to floor will help get the lie angle pretty accurate.   You'll just need to get them into the right shaft flex based upon swing speed.

PING - Iron Color Code Chart

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Honestly, you may just want to give them the clubs as is. Since they're on the cusp of standard length (like @wildcatden mentioned) they'll be ready for standard clubs within a few months to a year anyway. 

If you really want to cut them down I think that's fine. Like you said... There's no point in spending hundreds to thousands of dollars when they have no idea if they'll even like playing golf. Especially for a family that seems to have some financial constraints. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

Honestly, you may just want to give them the clubs as is. Since they're on the cusp of standard length (like @wildcatden mentioned) they'll be ready for standard clubs within a few months to a year anyway. 

If you really want to cut them down I think that's fine. Like you said... There's no point in spending hundreds to thousands of dollars when they have no idea if they'll even like playing golf. Especially for a family that seems to have some financial constraints. 

I 100% agree with this.  Junior clubs at 13 makes little sense to me.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 5:57 AM, BloctonGolf11 said:

As others have said, at that height just do adult clubs. Junior clubs would make zero sense. IF you can find the Callaway Edge set that Costco did a the reviews are stupidly good on it. It is kind of a hidden gem. 

This is what we bought our growing junior and they have been great! He loves the putter and driver especially 

What ever you do don't buy a complete set. You will end up with a bunch of junk that isn't that good.    

Go out to a golf store or a place that fits them and hit some clubs.   If your lucky you have a place that has a ton decent used clubs nearby that isn't a chain store.  It seems like everyone has a store like that near them or at least drivable.

No reason to buy a junior set for a kid over 12. 

On 5/11/2021 at 8:57 AM, BloctonGolf11 said:

As others have said, at that height just do adult clubs. Junior clubs would make zero sense. IF you can find the Callaway Edge set that Costco did a the reviews are stupidly good on it. It is kind of a hidden gem. 

Costco sells junk clubs stay far away from them.  Buy used if you need to save money. Plenty of stuff out there.  Can't go wrong with a used AP1 set or irons or the new Titleist versions of it like the t300 if you have no clue you will be better off hitting that and will be able to resell them when you have a better idea of what works for them.

A bigger consideration than length is weight. Even at 5’6” there is a decent chance a 13-14 year old new to the game doesn’t have the muscle mass necessary swing standards men’s clubs efficiently, especially if they have 130g shafts like dynamic gold in them.

Like others have said, getting a few irons, a putter, a wedge, and a driver and seeing if they take to the game probably makes sense before making the plunge on a full set.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

3 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

A bigger consideration than length is weight. Even at 5’6” there is a decent chance a 13-14 year old new to the game doesn’t have the muscle mass necessary swing standards men’s clubs efficiently, especially if they have 130g shafts like dynamic gold in them.

Like others have said, getting a few irons, a putter, a wedge, and a driver and seeing if they take to the game probably makes sense before making the plunge on a full set.

Most Stock clubs aren't even offered in that type of weight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

Plenty of 13-14 year boys can hit farther then the average guy out there. 

If we talking about girls weight is an issue. With boys they need to work out if they not able to hit stock mens clubs.

If there serious about golf custom clubs are needed but if there starting out any decent set of mens clubs will work.

Edited by tiger1873

50 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Costco sells junk clubs stay far away from them. 

Please post any proof of this statement whatsoever

Edit: I'll start with the opposite, here's the Kirkland Signature Wedges vs SM8s 

Edited by rooski
  • Confused 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

Plenty of 13-14 year boys can hit farther then the average guy out there. 

Very true, but there is a wide range of normal physical development at that age. I'd also assert that the kids who are bombers at that age probably have been playing golf for several years and subsequently have built up the specific rotary muscles needed to handle heavier mens clubs. A fit 13 year old who's only played soccer, for instance, might not be able to handle the same weight club as a smaller peer who's been playing for years. 

It's easier to groom the right mechanics when the person isn't fighting the club weight, IMO. 

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Most Stock clubs aren't even offered in that type of weight.

Not that long ago DG R300 or S300 would have been the standard stock shaft, that's a 130g shaft. Agreed, something more recent is likely a bit lighter if not X, but when budget hunting that often brings 8-12 year old irons into the mix and plenty of off the rack clubs in 2009-2013 had 130g shafts.

Plenty of kids learn with cut down mens clubs and turn out just fine, I did it. But that doesn't mean its ideal. I'll stand by my assertion that weight could be just as big a factor as length here and its something to be cognizant of, but isn't the end all be all. 

• Haha 2

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

3 hours ago, rooski said:

Edit: I'll start with the opposite, here's the Kirkland Signature Wedges vs SM8s 

Go out and hit that set from costco and then go out and hit the same clubs in a real callaway set from a real golf store.  tell me which one is better. 

The driver alone will lose you 50 yards in that set. I know my father in law brought it and he ended up throwing it out after he hit my clubs because he went down in distance.

Buying an off shelf wedge also isn't the same as buying a custom shafter wedge with a correct grind.  Wedges are more about feel and getting it up and down around the greens then just using a launch monitor.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EDT501 said:

Very true, but there is a wide range of normal physical development at that age. I'd also assert that the kids who are bombers at that age probably have been playing golf for several years and subsequently have built up the specific rotary muscles needed to handle heavier mens clubs. A fit 13 year old who's only played soccer, for instance, might not be able to handle the same weight club as a smaller peer who's been playing for years. 

It's easier to groom the right mechanics when the person isn't fighting the club weight, IMO. 

Not that long ago DG R300 or S300 would have been the standard stock shaft, that's a 130g shaft. Agreed, something more recent is likely a bit lighter if not X, but when budget hunting that often brings 8-12 year old irons into the mix and plenty of off the rack clubs in 2009-2013 had 130g shafts.

Plenty of kids learn with cut down mens clubs and turn out just fine, I did it. But that doesn't mean its ideal. I'll stand by my assertion that weight could be just as big a factor as length here and its something to be cognizant of, but isn't the end all be all. 

Dude  the kid just wants to play golf no need to over complicate this just go out and get some clubs.  A kid starting out just need some clubs to go out and hit the ball.   I haven't seen too many 13 year old boys that can't lift 50 lbs all day working.  So hitting standard clubs will be not be an issue.    I think they will figure out how to swing a club.  The best value is a set of used clubs that you can resell or didn't pay much to begin with.

If you play golf enough most people will figure out to go get fitted but that costs probaly about 2k min when everything is said and done. About half if you just going into PGA superstore and getting a crap fitting.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rooski said:

My buddy got these Kirkland wedges and for the first three rounds they were decent. Kept up with his Vokeys but after that they lost all their bite.  He also noticed quite a bit of inconsistency in distance around the greens.  Normally I'd dismiss this like I do with most other posts on WRX but this guy is a short game wizard.  He went back to his Vokeys and sold these to a local shop for a third of what he paid.

• Thanks 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

A few years ago, I started my son playing adult heads and got roasted.  I think he was round 8 yrs old.  Anyhow, I can't imagine him playing anything else.  Of course US kids would probably be easier to hit with added distance, but we didn't go that route. 

Like everyone else said above, I'd go with any adult clubs with any stiff/regular flex shaft.  I think they will do just fine. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rooski said:

Those clubs are pure trash.