The Great Debate! Lahinch, Ballybunion, or Tralee??? Which is your fav.

Getting antsy for our trip to Ireland in 138 days and want to here what was your favorite or least favorite and why. I've been to Scotland many times, but this will be my first time in Ireland and want to get some feedback on the courses we will be playing. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

In my mind, Lahinch, a clear favorite.  I wish I could put it into words, I just enjoyed the combinations of holes, the varying directions, the terrain, and the quirkiness of blind shots.  The other two are great plays, I have nothing bad to say, I just enjoyed Lahinch the most.

• Like 2

I would rank them as follows:

1. Lahinch. Clearly the #1. Not even close.

2. Tralee. People say the front nice is lacking. No way. The back nine is just so spectacular that the front just feels not as good. If the front were as good as the back it would be a toss up between it and Lahinch.

3. Ballybunion. The first 6 holes are kind of meh with the caravan park down the right hand side but then it gets good.

One thing that I noticed is the Irish courses are generally more hilly than the ones I have played in Scotland.

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 hours ago, davep043 said:

In my mind, Lahinch, a clear favorite.  I wish I could put it into words, I just enjoyed the combinations of holes, the varying directions, the terrain, and the quirkiness of blind shots.  The other two are great plays, I have nothing bad to say, I just enjoyed Lahinch the most.

Thanks for the input. If you had to pick a favorite hole which one would it be?

2 hours ago, jvincent said:

I would rank them as follows:

1. Lahinch. Clearly the #1. Not even close.

2. Tralee. People say the front nice is lacking. No way. The back nine is just so spectacular that the front just feels not as good. If the front were as good as the back it would be a toss up between it and Lahinch.

3. Ballybunion. The first 6 holes are kind of meh with the caravan park down the right hand side but then it gets good.

One thing that I noticed is the Irish courses are generally more hilly than the ones I have played in Scotland.

Great! I’ve heard that before about Tralee. In fact the guy who told me that also said in his opinion the back 9 at Tralee is the best nine holes in Ireland. Can’t wait to find out for myself. We adjusted out trip this time to play some of the courses twice instead of playing 7 different courses. 

I haven't played Lahinch but have played Ballybunion and Tralee. Actually Ballybunion on two different trips. Tralee only once as I didn't think as much of it as some of the others here. Lahinch looks amazing though. Ballybunion has two different 18s (Old and Cashen) and would definitely play both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DArnie said:

I haven't played Lahinch but have played Ballybunion and Tralee. Actually Ballybunion on two different trips. Tralee only once as I didn't think as much of it as some of the others here. Lahinch looks amazing though. Ballybunion has two different 18s (Old and Cashen) and would definitely play both. 

I’ve heard that the Cashen course is bordering on unplayable, especially if there is wind. But of course our group is sadistic and enjoy tough courses so we are planning to play it after our morning round at the Old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

I’ve heard that the Cashen course is bordering on unplayable, especially if there is wind. But of course our group is sadistic and enjoy tough courses so we are planning to play it after our morning round at the Old.

There are some amazingly great holes on the Cashen. Make sure you have enough balls and a good caddie!!😃

• Like 1

Another one for Lahinch - I used to play it at least once a month and never got tired of it.  The back of Tralee is phenomenal - I almost set up home there at one point in my life. 

General note since wind was brought up:  do not fight the wind...swing L A Z Y if the wind is up!

• Like 1

Lahinch is my favourite of the three because of Dell and Klondyke. Gotta have some funky holes to keep golf in perspective. 

Ballybunion is second, but may actually be the better course. Superb greens and how the routing keeps circling back to the sea is very clever. 

Tralee is a distant third, but Lahinch and Ballybunion are very tough company. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Thanks for the input. If you had to pick a favorite hole which one would it be?

The two obvious choices are the par-5 4th, with its blind second shot over the dune, and the par-3 5th, a completely blind par-3 over another tall dune.  But my favorite might be 6, a par 4 where you drive up to the top of the dune, and then face a downhill second directly towards the ocean.  Or maybe the drivable par-4 13th.  The only "blah" holes that I remember are 17 and 18, coming back to the clubhouse parallel to the road.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, davep043 said:

The two obvious choices are the par-5 4th, with its blind second shot over the dune, and the par-3 5th, a completely blind par-3 over another tall dune.  But my favorite might be 6, a par 4 where you drive up to the top of the dune, and then face a downhill second directly towards the ocean.  Or maybe the drivable par-4 13th.  The only "blah" holes that I remember are 17 and 18, coming back to the clubhouse parallel to the road.

Really looking for to The Klondike and The Dell. 

10 hours ago, Chanceman said:

I would just like to play Lahinch on a fine day. It was bucketing and blowing when we played but still loved it.

The day we played Lahinch they had a "Class 5 weather warning" or some such thing. It was supposed to be horrible.

We drove to the course in the rain, warmed up in the rain, and then 5 minutes before we teed off the rain stopped. It was pretty windy for the first few holes, but certainly not unplayable. The wind died down for the rest of the round, two to three clubs at most, and the sun even poked out a couple of times. The rain gear was off on the second hole.

And then we reached the 18th tee. Wind picked up to God knows what. Rain was coming in sideways and stinging when it hit. We played 18 in the rain and ducked into the clubhouse. 

I have a picture of the radar map on my phone that shows where I am in the clubhouse and the oncoming onslaught of rain. It also shows the completely clear gap in the rain that we played holes 1-17 in. I pity the guys who were just teeing off as we finished.

EDIT: I figured I should add the picture. The weather system was moving from SW to NE.

QvujjECsYTR3oDgiB-B3sUWTy_tN9PMP8u8w3juTe_IZ0NCBVxIPNFhZVRsMHgp71h6BRKyZnuD2IJn3Mn-h8kdKRdJzg7TkFWxxgX_TqKAB5W0trPQWJo4k_mQUin6T-msBy6bAYXXTB1zfQ5-PX_8TKvgRNNcheow2XG8AzxzBYYvvdhthERuyrZMxwI90gsTUcuVZVTvNAZI4mgYuS74xt3qlVFE9IZOrmL8u-9GNuwFJDnRrrwOtSDl7pLTo7S-cS5aKRCjut1UwZ-hGxoEGYbgUYoGRpmLeaBWUO2U7zjsjMAPgf1poFWH6xH73I7h-wexjdPgK0CCYNHSjrFGsDaqkjz85lV2CzAvjQl-vxxBrDXvyngTQlvwCiHOF982XeG_iyjp8lqH6UfiM55MU6QTykyt_zMjirzNyd_A7SXuWhgKjMpjVkGuw73w9YRC0PylM09yceV-Yx-aJUPWYCDqqD-8CehFhVbuv6CG1mucPSx0bHwjxP1EXnSNvCIxhC_W1Kqjk8ILvLHrr4yu8eHfFFC1-ajpEEbgtq89WfWluch-E5vJ4AzlAzF94rxMBjSZX99xrIvQu3O4dlj42bpXVl3bO9_qcfEi_74r4Mrkp0rHJP_d5f6N0NqzGNS2Ijz_f4RP6nhtuksxmyYbqLeWMv5zM4xaN7o-a6Sg0VCitn78jSXEIMi6lP5F5tu5IGQRoTisnhYmG4K3fDsJ7aw=w509-h903-no?authuser=0

Edited by jvincent
Added picture
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

On 5/12/2021 at 7:55 AM, davep043 said:

6 and 12 were my favorites.  Lahinch is still my favorite golf experience.  It blew hard off the Atlantic that day and the pop up squalls were intense, but it made for a morning I'll never forget.  Two years later and I can tell you every hole that was into the wind that day.  

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

• Like 2

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I just played the old course yesterday from the white stones , it’s a nice course, a great mix, short par 5, some long par 4s and 1 long par 3 @ 205 yards. Rate it 8/10.

Tralee is just stunning in a rural  unspoiled countryside, the wind just has to be moderate and it will test any Golfer. Rate it 9/10.

Lahinch has it all, short, long, blind shots and cambered fairways where the dunes come into play. The only downfall is it has 2 very short par 4s. Rate it 9.5/10.

My 10/10 goes to Valderama.

I’m an average golfer, WHS is 10 and carries 240 yards max with Driver.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, Mixer said:

Hi there, I just played the old course yesterday from the white stones , it’s a nice course, a great mix, short par 5, some long par 4s and 1 long par 3 @ 205 yards. Rate it 8/10.

Tralee is just stunning in a rural  unspoiled countryside, the wind just has to be moderate and it will test any Golfer. Rate it 9/10.

Lahinch has it all, short, long, blind shots and cambered fairways where the dunes come into play. The only downfall is it has 2 very short par 4s. Rate it 9.5/10.

My 10/10 goes to Valderama.

I’m an average golfer, WHS is 10 and carries 240 yards max with Driver.

Fingers crossed I will be there the first week of October to play them all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 10:34 PM, hammergolf said:

Getting antsy for our trip to Ireland in 138 days and want to here what was your favorite or least favorite and why. I've been to Scotland many times, but this will be my first time in Ireland and want to get some feedback on the courses we will be playing. 

Lahinch is my favourite.

I think Ballybunion is the best of the three, but riddled with stupidly harsh rough. Folks say B'bunion doesn't start until the 7th. They must not have played 3 and 6...two holes that would grace any great course. 

Tralee isn't in the same class as the above. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Lahinch is my favourite.

I think Ballybunion is the best of the three, but riddled with stupidly harsh rough. Folks say B'bunion doesn't start until the 7th. They must not have played 3 and 6...two holes that would grace any great course. 

Cross our fingers, my group will be there in 36 days to play them all.

14 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Waterville is not as spectacular as BB, LH, or TL but still a very very good golf course in a wonderful location at the far end of the Ring of Kerry.

I'll be drivng The Ring Of Kerry a few days before the guys arrive for the golf trip. I won't have time to play but plan on stopping by and taking a look at Waterville. 

On 8/26/2021 at 1:56 AM, El Gringo said:

Lahinch is my favourite.

Interesting to hear you say that about Tralee. Many have told me the back 9 at Tralee may very well be the best in Ireland.  Fingers crossed I will be there in a month to see for myself.

Haven't played Tralee, but Ballybunion I favor or Lahinch.  One thing that stood out was the wide grass walking paths around the course, which were so elegant and appreciated. Neither is an easy walk, but really just loved the Ballybunion routing, starting with the opening drive from on top. I forget the hole, but the downwind par 3 to a tiny green from the water was in a great little corridor.  The finish was a nice corner of the course as well 17 to 18.

• Like 1

I've played all three, and I prefer Lahinch.  Its close with Ballybunion, but Lahinch has a quirky charm that I really enjoy.  Tralee is incredible, especially the back nine, really dramatic, but its third in this group.  And Waterville is a little understated, but may be the best golf course of all.  Its impossible to go wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Interesting to hear you say that about Tralee. Many have told me the back 9 at Tralee may very well be the best in Ireland.  Fingers crossed I will be there in a month to see for myself.

I think a few holes on the back nine of Tralee are a bit forced. Overall, Tralee is a very good course and I encourage you to play it. But it's not in the same league as Lahinch or B'bunion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Schley said:

Haven't played Tralee, but Ballybunion I favor or Lahinch.  One thing that stood out was the wide grass walking paths around the course, which were so elegant and appreciated. Neither is an easy walk, but really just loved the Ballybunion routing, starting with the opening drive from on top. I forget the hole, but the downwind par 3 to a tiny green from the water was in a great little corridor.  The finish was a nice corner of the course as well 17 to 18.

I think you are referring to the 8th...an awesome hole. 

• Like 1