Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

3 minutes ago, whumber said:

So first impressions from hitting with the R10 outdoors are mostly very good. I only had about 30 minutes of range time before my round so things were a bit rushed this time. Started off just hitting some wedge shots, vertical launch angle seemed much more realistic than my SC300 and spin numbers seemed consistent with what I've seen from aboutGolf simulators at our local indoor place. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that while starting direction is very sensitive to alignment the vertical launch angle, backspin, and sidespin didn't seem nearly as sensitive. Our grass range is never perfectly flat and moving the R10 around a little bit to perturb the lie didn't change my numbers very much. I then went through 7i, 2i, 3W, and driver to test numbers and shape some shots to see how realistic the spin axis numbers were. Carry distances were all right around where I expected them whereas I've found the SC300 tends to overpredict carry with the irons when you bring down the launch angle. The goods news with the shot shaping is that out of around 60 total balls that I hit only one had a shape that didn't match reality and that one was a 3 wood off the deck that I hit way off the toe, the R10 called for a slight fade while the actual ball duck hooked. I wasn't really surprised by that as the R10 doesn't really have any way to account for gear effect.

The 3some I was supposed to be paired with never showed up so I ended up playing 9 by myself behind an extremely slow group. Normally would have annoyed me but this gave me the opportunity to hit some tee shots with Home Tee Hero running to see how well it could predict were the ball would end up. Out of the three I tested this with, two of the tees shot ended up within 5 yards of where the R10 expected while the other had the distance right but on the wrong side of the fairway but there was a strong crosswind on that hole that the software couldn't know about.

The only problematic thing that I saw was with chip/pitch shots. I hit a few chip shots in the 20-40yd range and the reported distances were all over the place. Some were spot on, one shot that I know for certain went about 20yds registered as almost 60 yards, other were 5-10 yards short. I'll need to do more testing on this but this was the only area that I saw a significant issue. I may try to go back out to the range later this afternoon for another test but overall it's looking quite good. Tomorrow I'll try hitting it into an outdoor net to see how that performs.

Awesome, thanks, mine cant get here fast enough!

1 hour ago, whumber said:

The only problematic thing that I saw was with chip/pitch shots. I hit a few chip shots in the 20-40yd range and the reported distances were all over the place. Some were spot on, one shot that I know for certain went about 20yds registered as almost 60 yards, other were 5-10 yards short.

Yea, saw this new youtube video from hybridme today.  The chip/pitch shots were looking way off at times.  Hopefully, the engineers can look into this and fix this as it becomes more widely adopted.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, Sandhurst241069 said:

Yes I think the Mario Golf is going to be a very brief gateway drug for an E6 subscription..

The "Mario Golf" is an amazing value.  We also get 5 or 6 free E6 courses with the purchase of the R10.  I imagine I will mostly play those free courses, but being able to play virtually any course in the country is a great value.  I play in charity tournaments for work at times and this would be great to test out a course before the tournament.  At times the courses are a 4-5 hour drive from where I live so I am not going to go play them in person beforehand so this is the next best thing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whumber said:

So first impressions from hitting with the R10 outdoors are mostly very good. I only had about 30 minutes of range time before my round so things were a bit rushed this time. Started off just hitting some wedge shots, vertical launch angle seemed much more realistic than my SC300 and spin numbers seemed consistent with what I've seen from aboutGolf simulators at our local indoor place. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that while starting direction is very sensitive to alignment the vertical launch angle, backspin, and sidespin didn't seem nearly as sensitive. Our grass range is never perfectly flat and moving the R10 around a little bit to perturb the lie didn't change my numbers very much. I then went through 7i, 2i, 3W, and driver to test numbers and shape some shots to see how realistic the spin axis numbers were. Carry distances were all right around where I expected them whereas I've found the SC300 tends to overpredict carry with the irons when you bring down the launch angle. The goods news with the shot shaping is that out of around 60 total balls that I hit only one had a shape that didn't match reality and that one was a 3 wood off the deck that I hit way off the toe, the R10 called for a slight fade while the actual ball duck hooked. I wasn't really surprised by that as the R10 doesn't really have any way to account for gear effect.

The 3some I was supposed to be paired with never showed up so I ended up playing 9 by myself behind an extremely slow group. Normally would have annoyed me but this gave me the opportunity to hit some tee shots with Home Tee Hero running to see how well it could predict were the ball would end up. Out of the three I tested this with, two of the tees shot ended up within 5 yards of where the R10 expected while the other had the distance right but on the wrong side of the fairway but there was a strong crosswind on that hole that the software couldn't know about.

The only problematic thing that I saw was with chip/pitch shots. I hit a few chip shots in the 20-40yd range and the reported distances were all over the place. Some were spot on, one shot that I know for certain went about 20yds registered as almost 60 yards, other were 5-10 yards short. I'll need to do more testing on this but this was the only area that I saw a significant issue. I may try to go back out to the range later this afternoon for another test but overall it's looking quite good. Tomorrow I'll try hitting it into an outdoor net to see how that performs.

Good post thanks… yep a toe ball that spits out right is likely going to read as a cut as the algorithm will assume an open face rather than toe end contact with a hook axis / gear affect as you say .. unless the radar could somehow measure the position centre of mass of the clubhead vs the ball in its start of flight position .. starting to get very convoluted though (someone with a bit more knowledge might shed some light on whether radar in that category has that potential..).  Anyway its why the R10 as a sim is more of an amusement or contextual practice.. personally I’ve fine with that - the algorithm should provide decent enough feedback around solid or near solid shots (if the club path measurements are decent) and I have the experience to extrapolate what would happen with a bad toe or heel miss lol ..

4 hours ago, whumber said:

Nice thanks for the easy review. I just ordered mine now to sit in my hands for about 5 weeks. Sigh 

Tried to test with the outdoor net at my home course and quickly realized that the way the concrete pad was built for the mats was going to be incompatible with positioning the R10 using the tripod mount as-is; there's roughly a 6-inch dropoff between the top of the mats and the ground behind the slab and that ground is extremely uneven. I didn't really bother trying to do much with the R10 once I realized this. After I got back home, I started building a leveling platform in the short term with a longer term plan of 3D printing a modified version of the included magnetic mount. After looking at the included tripod mount, however, I realized I could just drill out a 1/4" deep 5/16" section in the center of the folding legs and then mount the tripod on an alignment stick stuck in the ground. Allows for much better height control and eliminates much of the difficulty of leveling the unit on uneven terrain.

Guys, any issue with getting this level is an easy, cheap fix. Luckily, I'm also heavily into hifi and cameras so have both already.

Get a camera beanbag or make one yourself from a cloth pencil case filled with whatever, beans, rice, sand etc.

Then get a tonearm spirit level. They weigh nothing and just stick on top. See pics below for what I mean.

image.png.624852b636b88c9a849f524c8f2d61af.png 

image.png.3fd9bd570ba757be4058055760d45013.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rodders said:

Guys, any issue with getting this level is an easy, cheap fix. Luckily, I'm also heavily into hifi and cameras so have both already.

Get a camera beanbag or make one yourself from a cloth pencil case filled with whatever, beans, rice, sand etc.

Then get a tonearm spirit level. They weigh nothing and just stick on top. See pics below for what I mean.

image.png.624852b636b88c9a849f524c8f2d61af.png 

image.png.3fd9bd570ba757be4058055760d45013.png

I don't have my R10 yet as it is arriving tomorrow but, relative to leveling, if it will sit on top of the R10, an iPhone has an app that actually includes a digital bubble style level.  Go to your pre installed measure app and at the bottom of that it shows up and is incredibly sensitive and accurate.

5 minutes ago, QEGolfer said:

Is a subscription required to use the r10? What functions can be used without a sub?

I’m very much anti subs.

No subscription to use the R10 as a launch monitor. There is a subscription to get access to realistic simulator courses, without the subscription you get just a few toy, cartoonish simulated courses to play. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, North Butte said:

No subscription to use the R10 as a launch monitor. There is a subscription to get access to realistic simulator courses, without the subscription you get just a few toy, cartoonish simulated courses to play. 

AFAIK, there's two separate subscriptions. The first subscription is to Garmin Golf which unlocks Mario Golf (Home Tee Hero) on the 42k Garmin golf courses and other online Garmin Golf things such as cloud storage for swing videos, tournaments, leaderboards and etc. The second subscription would be if you wanted E6 Connect beyond the basic 5 course iPhone/iPad version (either additional courses or the ability to play on a PC with better graphics than the iPad). 

Edit: one other thought though is something that was briefly touched upon in that wedge testing video above was how much more accurate the R10 was with an out-to-in swing vs his self described "low sweepy draw swing" I wonder if the R10 doesn't have enough optimization for that type of swing. With that low sweepy in-to-out swing the club head will likely be in the radar's window for a much longer period of time, which could be confusing it or making it harder for it to get an accurate read on how it estimates path and face angle vs launch conditions to estimate spin and spin axis. 

Edited by Simpsonia

2nd Update:

After testing it yesterday I updated the firmware to V3.30 and then brought it out to the range after my round today for some more testing. Was pretty warm from the round so just hit a few balls in driving range mode and then 'played' two courses that I'm pretty familiar with. I'm not sure if it was the firmware updated or something with how I had the metal club rack positioned but to say the R10 performed poorly would be a massive understatement. Irons were regularly off by 40-50 yards (compared to the actual ball flight I was seeing, not just what I expected), I saw a few Driver and 3 wood shots that were off by 100+ yards in distance, and wedges were all over the place. I had a 3/4 58 degree (which actually went ~80 yards) come off the R10 as 178 yard carry. Shot shape was all over the place too, quite a few balls that were dead straight showed  up as either hooks or slices and quite a few draws/cuts showed up as either dead straight or the opposite shape. I'm glad the R10 worked so well yesterday else I would probably already be requesting an RMA. Like I said earlier, there's a few things that could be going on.

• I updated to firmware v3.30 last night in the hope it would help with the chipping issues I had seen when testing yesterday.
  • I had my clubs off to the right resting on a metal bag stand (I think this is the most likely culprit), but it didn't occur to me that this could be causing problems until right as I was leaving the range
  • Something else about my setup was massively incorrect

I'll be testing again some time this week, but not sure yet when I'll time to get back to the range. Hopefully it was just the issue of the clubs and rack causing reflections creating the issues and the R10 will perform like it did during the first test again.

Edited by whumber
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, whumber said:

2nd Update:

After testing it yesterday I updated the firmware to V3.30 and then brought it out to the range after my round today for some more testing. Was pretty warm from the round so just hit a few balls in driving range mode and then 'played' two courses that I'm pretty familiar with. I'm not sure if it was the firmware updated or something with how I had the metal club rack positioned but to say the R10 performed poorly would be a massive understatement. Irons were regularly off by 40-50 yards (compared to the actual ball flight I was seeing, not just what I expected), I saw a few Driver and 3 wood shots that were off by 100+ yards in distance, and wedges were all over the place. I had a 3/4 58 degree (which actually went ~80 yards) come off the R10 as 178 yard carry. Shot shape was all over the place too, quite a few balls that were dead straight showed  up as either hooks or slices and quite a few draws/cuts showed up as either dead straight or the opposite shape. I'm glad the R10 worked so well yesterday else I would probably already be requesting an RMA. Like I said earlier, there's a few things that could be going on.

• I updated to firmware v3.30 last night in the hope it would help with the chipping issues I had seen when testing yesterday.
  • I had my clubs off to the right resting on a metal bag stand (I think this is the most likely culprit), but it didn't occur to me that this could be causing problems until right as I was leaving the range

I'll be testing again some time this week, but not sure yet when I'll time to get back to the range. Hopefully it was just the issue of the clubs and rack causing reflections creating the issues and the R10 will perform like it did during the first test again.

Based on my MEVO experience, and I know this sounds kind of dumb, it's actually hard to do a good job of setting up and trying out one of these things when you're hot and sweaty and tired. I'd suggest dedicating a trip to the course or driving range to just given the R10 a good try-out without trying to practice or play too. 

I never did find a way to get a consistent enough setup to make the MEVO useful. One day I'd love to try an R10 but if I do it'll be during a cooler part of the year when I'm not distracted by standing out in the hot sun and being sweaty and tired. 

3 hours ago, whumber said:

2nd Update:

Was a calculation error or a measurement error? Was ball speed, launch or spin way off? 

10 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Was a calculation error or a measurement error? Was ball speed, launch or spin way off? 

Can't really say for sure but there are just some bizarre numbers coming out. Here's a pitching wedge shot as an example. They're so weird, especially relative to how good the numbers were yesterday, that there must be some kind of gross error on my part or a FW issue.

Screenshot_20210815-193519_Garmin Golf.jpg

It makes no sense here how we could have -21 deg face to path angle and yet have 577 RPM of cut spin. Plus, 1000RPM of backspin and 161 yards of carry is absurd from a pitching wedge. Launch angle is also way too high for a PW but that's the least troubling thing here.

Edited by whumber
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, whumber said:

Can't really say for sure but there are just some bizarre numbers coming out. Here's a pitching wedge shot as an example. They're so weird, especially relative to how good the numbers were yesterday, that there must be some kind of gross error on my part or a FW issue.

It makes no sense here how we could have -21 deg face to path angle and yet have 577 RPM of cut spin. Plus, 1000RPM of backspin and 161 yards of carry is absurd from a pitching wedge. Launch angle is also way too high for a PW but that's the least troubling thing here.

Hmm that is some very wonky numbers, keep us updated if you find the problem.

@whumber One thing that worked for me with MEVO+ in the early stages, when firmware would update, I would uninstall and reinstall the app. 

Firmware with these is touchy, at best.  And the developers and programmers don't always think like golfers.  I'm still concerned with R10 from initial reports of shot shape not matching data.  This is more of a hiccup / glitch that should be resolved in a day or two or less if you can re-install the app.  This is normal, early version stuff...

Mine came in today and I got to test it out hitting off a mat into a net. I ordered from Maple Hill Golf on July 17th. It seemed like most of the numbers were fairly accurate in my experience. Even my ball flight looked correct when I felt like I had a slice or hook. Had a couple shanks and it picked them up as well. Only thing I have noticed is sometimes when hitting 3 wood and I have a solid strike, it seems the ball flight is lower and doesn’t carry as far as it normally would. With that being said, sometimes it does pick up the 3 wood shot correctly and it seems the numbers are right. I played a little bit of hometown hero and it seems really cool. Haven’t had a chance to play a course on E6 yet. Overall from my little bit I got to play with it today, I think the R10 is going to be a great sim/ practice gadget for the money. Hard to beat for $600.

Edited by Bigwilly12

2 hours ago, whumber said:

Was this just a one off shot? I definitely agree that the numbers seem terribly off. But if it’s just one out of many it can easily be written off. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

2 hours ago, radiman said:

Was this just a one off shot? I definitely agree that the numbers seem terribly off. But if it’s just one out of many it can easily be written off. 

I'd say it's representative of maybe 30% of the shots. I had a few chip shots that I would say were even worse where the ball went around 8-10 yards in reality but the monitor read them as 40-50 yard pitches. I'm thinking more and more that it was an interference issue as some of the numbers are just too terrible to make sense otherwise. I'm still quite hopeful based on the excellent results I saw in the first session. Should know more tomorrow.

I got mine finally setup yesterday and was able to hit a few shots on E6 iOS......the numbers looked 'ok' but I wasn't really trying as I was short of time and just wanted to test it

....anyway - one question I do have is, while the e6 on iOS works perfectly fine on my IPAD Air 3....can you actually pay for the yearly subscription when you are using iOS as the OS....on the e6 site it seemed to only offer it as a PC version for the R10...and then even if you click on the PC version it says that there is no product

image.png.8a174102ec334028af940b58bb42b547.png

image.png.f97ff131643d0901bccb662a8de1925b.png

Edited by jimmies78
  • Like 1

Curious, has anyone that bought from Golf Galaxy or Dicks received theirs (or a shipping notice) yet?  Just pinged customer service again and they haven't changed their "on or after" date from 8/15 and will only tell me that it will ship very soon.  I can't wait to get mine and have been checking my email every 5 mins, lol.

Just had an email today from Snainton golf in the UK. Garmin have told them no units until the end of September. My order was mid July. Email received below. Will likely cancel and decide later when more thorough reviews and comparisons are available. 

"Good Morning

Thank you for your email with Snainton Golf.

We have just had an update from Garmin regarding your R10 device. Unfortunately, Garmin has contacted us today to advise this batch of Garmins we have on order has been delayed on their side and will now not be with us until End Sept, they are hoping this may change and they will be with us sooner but have advised us to let customer's know it is most likely going to be the end of September before they take delivery of them. Could you please respond to this email and let us know if you are happy to carry on waiting or if you do not wish to wait until then so we can start to arrange your refund so we can make notes on your order and keep things moving ready for their arrival to make sure you get your device as soon as possible."

3 minutes ago, Raziren said:

Just had an email today from Snainton golf in the UK. Garmin have told them no units until the end of September. My order was mid July. Email received below. Will likely cancel and decide later when more thorough reviews and comparisons are available. 

"Good Morning

Thank you for your email with Snainton Golf.

We have just had an update from Garmin regarding your R10 device. Unfortunately, Garmin has contacted us today to advise this batch of Garmins we have on order has been delayed on their side and will now not be with us until End Sept, they are hoping this may change and they will be with us sooner but have advised us to let customer's know it is most likely going to be the end of September before they take delivery of them. Could you please respond to this email and let us know if you are happy to carry on waiting or if you do not wish to wait until then so we can start to arrange your refund so we can make notes on your order and keep things moving ready for their arrival to make sure you get your device as soon as possible."

oh.

guessing it’ll be the same for me via HotGolf. I’ve been getting told “any day now” for last two weeks….

3 hours ago, mmcelroy said:

Curious, has anyone that bought from Golf Galaxy or Dicks received theirs (or a shipping notice) yet?  Just pinged customer service again and they haven't changed their "on or after" date from 8/15 and will only tell me that it will ship very soon.  I can't wait to get mine and have been checking my email every 5 mins, lol.

I made an order through Dick's... haven't seen an update

Just got mine from playbetter in the mail.  Had a nice little personal thank you note in there which was appreciated.  I did a quick range session with it and found it very comparable to my old G80 numbers (sold it in preparation for the R10).  Ball flight was accurate for nearly every shot with maybe some being underrepresented (IE:  Shows a draw instead of a hook).  I basically simulated a round with Home Tee Hero and had a fantastic time with it.  I personally really love the cartoony Mario Golf style graphics to it and will probably commit to a subscription once they get an iPad version with landscape mode.  For 600 dollars?  It's not even close - this thing is the biggest bargain I've ever seen in the simulator market.  Combined with splurging for a Spornia SPG-7 net and a decent mat, I'm getting a proper simulator setup in my garage for under 1000 dollars, which was impossible to do before this product.

Edited by Kirios
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kirios said:

Just got mine from playbetter in the mail.  Had a nice little personal thank you note in there which was appreciated.  I did a quick range session with it and found it very comparable to my old G80 numbers (sold it in preparation for the R10).  Ball flight was accurate for nearly every shot with maybe some being underrepresented (IE:  Shows a draw instead of a hook).  I basically simulated a round with Home Tee Hero and had a fantastic time with it.  I personally really love the cartoony Mario Golf style graphics to it and will probably commit to a subscription once they get an iPad version with landscape mode.  For 600 dollars?  It's not even close - this thing is the biggest bargain I've ever seen in the simulator market.  Combined with splurging for a Spornia SPG-7 net and a decent mat, getting a proper simulator setup in my garage for under 1000 dollars, which was impossible to do before this product.

Same experience with mine. I love the cartoonish graphics in Hometown Hero and thought it played really well. I went into E6 and messed around a little and enjoyed that too. I always wanted a Skytrak but just couldn’t get myself to spend $2000 for the unit itself. $600 for this thing is a steal.

• Like 1