Garmin Approach R10 Portable Golf Launch Monitor

I was dialling in / checking out my 3W hosel setting / wedge gapping on Trackman yesterday and the Pro put this thing down next to it (it had just come in). The carry numbers were pretty much identical (that was what I was interested in…I wasn’t there to test the Garmin).

On the few shots where we compared the two, the quality of the data was pretty impressive. We were both surprised…

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bearcatnut said:

Is there a consensus as where the best site to buy one of these is?   Live in USA. 

The best return policy I've seen is at Playbetter.com:  60-days, full refund, no questions asked. You can return it even after registering the R10 with Garmin and playing with the free E6 courses. That's why I ordered mine from PlayBetter. They estimate late September delivery for new orders.

If you're looking for earlier access, you'll have to do a online search and then call around. The R10s seem to be back ordered just about everywhere.

Edited by Wildest1

2 hours ago, jimmies78 said:

Are we likely to only have E6 and Garmin HTH as software this will link with....I'd love it if Awesome Golf was supported

I had submitted a post at the Garmin Forum asking if GSPro might be able to be an option and a day or two later there was a message from someone with Garmin to forward a follow-up message to him and he would submit my request to the Developer department.

Got mine in. I've had one longer range session and one short one and about 5 shots with driver into my net. So far, it seems pretty decent for carry distance, so so for total distance and some of the other stats are still a little TBD. I thought it did a good job at picking up ball direction.

The spin numbers seemed a little lower with irons/wedges - granted, I was just using range balls. Had SW spinning around 8k which is a little on the low side for me. Some of the lower irons (8 for example) definitely weren't reading spin correctly because there were a number of shots that were in the 2k-4k spin range resulting in some 185yrd carry and 200yrd total distance - which for me is normally around 170-175.

The driver seemed like the most accurate (other than some of the rollout numbers). Ball speeds were seemingly right on and spin right in that 2k-2.5k mark. It would occasionally not pick up the club speed properly (would be 40mph off) but rest of the stats still read fine. I would say that it didn't register the side spin perfectly because I hit a couple of those dirty hooker shots and it didn't seems as dramatic based on what it registered. 

I got logged in for about 20 shots on the E6 range and feel that was better to see the stats as you were going and the graphics are much better, but seemed to register shots about the same.

I also have a Rapsodo and would say that the Garmin seems to add a little distance vs the Rapsodo - probable based on the lower calculated spin. I also feel like the user interface on the app is a little better with the Rapsodo; the Garmin needs to make it a little easier to go between shots and the auto detect of the shot video didn't work with the Garmin where as I've never had an issue with the Rapsodo. I also had a bit of trouble at first while trying to have the device connect to the app when using the E6 app. 

Overall, I think it's been good. I'm excited to keep using based on the club data - I'll need to spend a little more time on that to see how accurate that really is, but seems to be at least in the ballpark. I think the Rapsodo might be a little better for on course stuff because it's easier to use, connect and have it capture video, but in terms of the total info provided for getting better, I'm optimistic about the Garmin. More testing to come

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, rshinazy said:

Got mine in. I've had one longer range session and one short one and about 5 shots with driver into my net. So far, it seems pretty decent for carry distance, so so for total distance and some of the other stats are still a little TBD. I thought it did a good job at picking up ball direction.

The spin numbers seemed a little lower with irons/wedges - granted, I was just using range balls. Had SW spinning around 8k which is a little on the low side for me. Some of the lower irons (8 for example) definitely weren't reading spin correctly because there were a number of shots that were in the 2k-4k spin range resulting in some 185yrd carry and 200yrd total distance - which for me is normally around 170-175.

The driver seemed like the most accurate (other than some of the rollout numbers). Ball speeds were seemingly right on and spin right in that 2k-2.5k mark. It would occasionally not pick up the club speed properly (would be 40mph off) but rest of the stats still read fine. I would say that it didn't register the side spin perfectly because I hit a couple of those dirty hooker shots and it didn't seems as dramatic based on what it registered. 

I got logged in for about 20 shots on the E6 range and feel that was better to see the stats as you were going and the graphics are much better, but seemed to register shots about the same.

I also have a Rapsodo and would say that the Garmin seems to add a little distance vs the Rapsodo - probable based on the lower calculated spin. I also feel like the user interface on the app is a little better with the Rapsodo; the Garmin needs to make it a little easier to go between shots and the auto detect of the shot video didn't work with the Garmin where as I've never had an issue with the Rapsodo. I also had a bit of trouble at first while trying to have the device connect to the app when using the E6 app. 

Overall, I think it's been good. I'm excited to keep using based on the club data - I'll need to spend a little more time on that to see how accurate that really is, but seems to be at least in the ballpark. I think the Rapsodo might be a little better for on course stuff because it's easier to use, connect and have it capture video, but in terms of the total info provided for getting better, I'm optimistic about the Garmin. More testing to come

Tks for sharing .... good info.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

6 hours ago, rshinazy said:

Thanks… I have a Mevo Plus and the spin numbers with my drive are horrible… always reads over 3,500.  Other clubs are somewhat accurate tho.

My Garmin is coming in on Wednesday, so excited to compare it against my Mevo Plus.

43 minutes ago, jvpark said:

Thanks… I have a Mevo Plus and the spin numbers with my drive are horrible… always reads over 3,500.  Other clubs are somewhat accurate tho.

My Garmin is coming in on Wednesday, so excited to compare it against my Mevo Plus.

Do you know that the driver numbers are actually inaccurate?

6 hours ago, jvpark said:

Almost every time I've ever demoed drivers in various golf stores, their launch monitors say I'm spinning over 3,000 and it's been as high as 3,500 a couple times. That isn't to say your MEVO+ is right, just saying 3,500 is not a particularly unbelievable spin number generally speaking. 

1 hour ago, amj6135 said:

I can confirm my Mevo+ was dangerously inaccurate with the driver indoors even with about 15 feet of ball flight.  My spin on GC2 is around 2,000.  The Mevo+ read between 3500-4500 every time.  But irons and wedges pretty spot, maybe a little long.  

That's interesting, I see very similar behavior with the SC300. Iron spin is pretty reasonable (it doesn't do wedges) but driver spin is high by around 50-75%. I would have thought Mevo+ would be much better since it's actually measuring the spin. Is this with metallic dots indoors?

Regarding MEVO+, I've found it solid across all clubs.  I do think driver accuracy starts to degrade with swing speeds 105+.

Based on the early testing, I suspect the Garmin R10 has the same capacity for measurements as the OG MEVO (not MEVO+).  Maybe an added bell or whistle to attempt to capture semblance of path/face relationship.  But when you get fade reads out of what is clearly a hook swing, there's issues.  At that point, might as well put a random number generator on the spin axis and side spin metrics...

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, games said:

Regarding MEVO+, I've found it solid across all clubs.  I do think driver accuracy starts to degrade with swing speeds 105+.

Based on the early testing, I suspect the Garmin R10 has the same capacity for measurements as the OG MEVO (not MEVO+).  Maybe an added bell or whistle to attempt to capture semblance of path/face relationship.  But when you get fade reads out of what is clearly a hook swing, there's issues.  At that point, might as well put a random number generator on the spin axis and side spin metrics...

I just got mine this morning and I'll take it out to the range for some testing later, but I wasn't too concerned about those results just yet. For one, all the shots that were in the wrong direction were more or less straight shots with just a tiny amount of draw on the GC2. If it was a straight up hook that read as a cut, that would be more concerning. Second, like others have mentioned, the Foresight monitors definitely seemed draw biased. When I got fitted for my current driving iron the GCHawk was telling me that I was consistently hitting 40yd hooks with it but when I took it out to the range immediately after the reality was that I was hitting dead straight to baby cuts every time. I'll do some shot shaping on the range to see if I can get the R10 to make any obvious misreads on the spin axis.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whumber said:

I just got mine this morning and I'll take it out to the range for some testing later, but I wasn't too concerned about those results just yet. For one, all the shots that were in the wrong direction were more or less straight shots with just a tiny amount of draw on the GC2. If it was a straight up hook that read as a cut, that would be more concerning. Second, like others have mentioned, the Foresight monitors definitely seemed draw biased. When I got fitted for my current driving iron the GCHawk was telling me that I was consistently hitting 40yd hooks with it but when I took it out to the range immediately after the reality was that I was hitting dead straight to baby cuts every time. I'll do some shot shaping on the range to see if I can get the R10 to make any obvious misreads on the spin axis.

Whether R10, Foresight or otherwise isn’t this cut/hook stuff very demanding of precise alignment?

I just can’t imagine any technology that could do shot shape correctly with the the unit aimed three or four degrees off in some direction. 

11 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Whether R10, Foresight or otherwise isn’t this cut/hook stuff very demanding of precise alignment?

I just can’t imagine any technology that could do shot shape correctly with the the unit aimed three or four degrees off in some direction. 

Foresight shouldn't be terribly dependent on alignment since they're, at least I would assume, measuring the actual angular velocity of the ball at the surface. I'm also a bit skeptical of just how sensitive the R10 should be to alignment for spin axis since what's important is the face-to-path angle. Even if the alignment is off by 10 degrees, both the measured ball path and club path vectors should be off by the same amount preserving the face-to-path angle. That said, none of us truly knows what assumptions are baked in behind the scenes so who knows how sensitive it will be.

• Like 1

Don’t know if these videos have been mentioned, but this guys channel seems to be independent and doing some tests. Wedge one below and there are at least two others.
I’d had a drink and wasn’t paying too close attention but I believe he’s saying the R10 is producing some good numbers but slightly questionable on direction, although he may have misaligned things:

37 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Don’t know if these videos have been mentioned, but this guys channel seems to be independent and doing some tests. Wedge one below and there are at least two others.
I’d had a drink and wasn’t paying too close attention but I believe he’s saying the R10 is producing some good numbers but slightly questionable on direction, although he may have misaligned things:

I appreciate all the videos this guy is putting out, but his swing is just painful to watch.  I know I'm being really judgmental right now.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, BrewingSim said:

I appreciate all the videos this guy is putting out, but his swing is just painful to watch.  I know I'm being really judgmental right now.

Haha this is what I call real world testing and data... Some of em look a little like a swing I might put on a ball when under pressure 😂

Edited by tezzlacoil
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whumber said:

Foresight shouldn't be terribly dependent on alignment since they're, at least I would assume, measuring the actual angular velocity of the ball at the surface. I'm also a bit skeptical of just how sensitive the R10 should be to alignment for spin axis since what's important is the face-to-path angle. Even if the alignment is off by 10 degrees, both the measured ball path and club path vectors should be off by the same amount preserving the face-to-path angle. That said, none of us truly knows what assumptions are baked in behind the scenes so who knows how sensitive it will 

Edited by hammersia

2 hours ago, whumber said:

I'll do some shot shaping on the range to see if I can get the R10 to make any obvious misreads on the spin axis.

I do think the straight shot (or at least a starting line with 0* horizontal launch angle) is the key litmus test for this LM since we know it doesn't measure spin.  If clubhead is square to path, and path is down the target line, how is the system going to calculate placement of the spin axis and amount of spin?

2 hours ago, BrewingSim said:

Who cares. He has a sweet set up. And is giving us great info. 

fwiw the R10 looks awesome. I’m in NZ so is a few weeks away but will likely pre-order. 

• Like 1