blade shaming ?

Fairway14

11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I can only name one full set I’ve seen in the last year.  Mizuno mp5. And the kid won our club championship last weekend .  

But my point is.  Any guy you see. You could change his irons to any iron and unless he’s committed to practice it won’t drop his handicap one shot on its own. It’s not the clubs. Ever.  Not in any measurable way. Assuming shafts are Matched to speed and strength.  

may any rate.  I think the majority of guys with higher handicaps that play  a blade iron are on this site.  Same as the majority of those who make fun are.  Both groups have zero room to be poking any fun.  

:classic_biggrin: I don't play with any guys of that quality (anymore),,,,,,,,,,

But I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on the GIs not improving one's score (certainly won't improve one's swing).

I pick up blades from time to time in the store (btw, I really like the Blueprints you've given up on) and there's no way I'd get the same performance (read same or better scores) on mishits on course as my GIs.

And I guess you're right about it not being measurable,,,,,,, but NO 2 shots are ever exactly alike so how would one measure ? But the difference in slight to moderate mishits is definitely noticeable, if not really measurable.

YMMV. shrug.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

9 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  So doubling down , and now saying that “ The only players playing them are 5-10 cal range “. As if that’s somehow not good enough.     It’s silly talk.    Why not go after the vokey wedge users ?  Or is 46 degrees magically across the “ safety “ line.  Come on.  Have you ever played an Mb set longer than 20 minutes ? It’s just not that much different than any forged CB.  

I play in 3 USga qualifiers a year , state mid am , state am qualifier , 3 day county am , and who knows how many 1 day events a year. In South Carolina.  US golf capital per acre for sure.  ( not discounting so cal as I know it leads overall ). Each event has more plus Handicaps than you can shake a stick at. So I’ve seen some clubs.  You can find all manners of combo sets in tons of bags.  Look at college guys on Tv.  They aren’t turning pro then going to an mb.  They’re out there now.  

I’m a mechanically minded person.  So I look at gear.  It’s just in my nature.  I can’t ever recall judging someone based on it.  No matter the ability.   Funny thing about ability is that it has zero to do with clubs.  That’s my entire point.  

Well, I won't bother with the "That's not what he said" as he's already explained that. :classic_smile:

But perhaps it is YOUR perception that needs clarifying ?

You're a scratch player. It's more likely than not that you don't miss the sweet spot very often and when you do it ain't by very much.

So is it possible you don't recognize the benefits of GIs to the majority of the golfing population ? shrug.gif

Titleist Pro V1X

33 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Well, I won't bother with the "That's not what he said" as he's already explained that. :classic_smile:

But perhaps it is YOUR perception that needs clarifying ?

You're a scratch player. It's more likely than not that you don't miss the sweet spot very often and when you do it ain't by very much.

So is it possible you don't recognize the benefits of GIs to the majority of the golfing population ? shrug.gif

None of that has anything to do with guy here telling other guys what to play.  That’s the simplest point.  It goes on. We both know it does.  And it’s a pretty hilarious scenario.  It’s like the blind  guy telling the guy with advanced cataracts to look at the Braille.  I’m only saying that 99 % who shame these guys aren’t qualified to do so. Then to top it off. Deny the shaming exists.  It’s comical. 

simple as that.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

56 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_biggrin: I don't play with any guys of that quality (anymore),,,,,,,,,,

But I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on the GIs not improving one's score (certainly won't improve one's swing).

I pick up blades from time to time in the store (btw, I really like the Blueprints you've given up on) and there's no way I'd get the same performance (read same or better scores) on mishits on course as my GIs.

And I guess you're right about it not being measurable,,,,,,, but NO 2 shots are ever exactly alike so how would one measure ? But the difference in slight to moderate mishits is definitely noticeable, if not really measurable.

YMMV. shrug.gif

Haven’t given up on anything.  I hurt my elbow , and sold them to fund the experiments to see what I could play.  I’m healed up now. If I could buy a set without waiting 7 years that’s the likely set I’d buy.  I’m certainly not married to the t100.  I like the short irons. But the long irons have too much bounce for me. I have to really come down hard to hit them crisp.  Same old song and dance for  me.  Wider the sole gets for me.  The less I like them.  

blueprint or titleist MB will be my next purchase.  I’ll transfer this shaft over.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

None of that has anything to do with guy here telling other guys what to play.  That’s the simplest point.  It goes on. We both know it does.  And it’s a pretty hilarious scenario.  It’s like the blind  guy telling the guy with advanced cataracts to look at the Braille.  I’m only saying that 99 % who shame these guys aren’t qualified to do so. Then to top it off. Deny the shaming exists.  It’s comical. 

simple as that.  

I was responding to your post.

If someone went off topic (surprise, surprise) from "blade shaming" to "GI vs blades" you could've just ignored it. Most posters in this thread stayed away from the latter.

And I don't recall anybody saying "shaming doesn't exist" - but it's a long thread and I suppose 1 or 2 may have said it.

Simple as that. :classic_wink:

Titleist Pro V1X

I don’t have the consistency to play my beloved FG 17s as I wish., although they’re in the bag more times than not. I’m a mid single HC that due to being off shore 28 days at a time, taking care of 2 houses, one being my mother n laws after my father n law passed, just makes sense to play my hybrid style irons at times. They’re 4-SW, and my scores rarely deviate due to inconsistency from lack of play. When I’m playing more, the 17s are money. Just as of beginning of this year, with an Achilles injury and family related issues, the blades have took a break. They’ll be back soon. Mine took 5 strokes off my HC but I practiced short game a lot, and 150 yards and in! Can hover par with them easily. They’re predictable and I know what I’m getting with each club I pull. No hot faces. If I miss, I miss, plain and simple. So, to each his own. You can’t shame me from playing or not playing my blades. I enjoy getting in the pockets of our group with blades from the ‘80s!! Play what you like! Enjoy the game gentlemen!! #whycan’twealljustgetalong

Edited by boggyman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

And what I’m saying is that you can’t quantify who hits any iron solid by handicap.  A 5 handicap isn’t a 5 if that makes sense. The number of traveling honest handicaps is far less than 50 % of the total of any one number handicap.  And then you have to get into how many irons  they play. Is it hybrids down to the 6 iron spot etc ?  As many are.  

but then we have to ask the Immortal question.  Who cares ?????? And then why do you care ????!!  Anybody posting to gripe about what somebody plays here cares.  So we can’t play the “ I don’t “ game.  

I've already posted about how i've seen better ball strikers who are higher caps and worse strikers that are lower caps, there's nothing that needs to be made sense too me man...you need to clarify your thoughts and think about what you're really arguing here...

I don't care what people use, if i did i'd have tons of topics about blades for amateurs and how they're blah blah blah, i'd be starting threads left and right about blade shaming but i don't...i've already stated how golf for the 99.9% of us whether you can break 70 or 100 is all the same thing...JUST A GAME, not a living, and we go out #1 to have fun...

What i'm arguing here is your logic or in my perception Lack of...tell me one advantage for a non professional where a blade has over a CB? if you say a lower launch well loft and a shaft can change that easily while retaining the same moi on misses...Hogan said we hit about 3 or 4 perfect shots a round and the rest we just manage our misses, and that's the perception of one of the greatest golfers of all time. 

again i have to say this as i feel you're taking this too personally, if i see a guy with blades i don't care what he's using, my first thought is he bought those because he must "like the way they look" and last time i checked this is a free country and i'm 100% gonna tell him "damn those clubs look nice" i've never met a guy who has blades and told me how good he hits them except my friend "Mike" who i mentioned earlier, who is like a reverse sandbagger...and i just let his ego make his wallet lighter with no problem..if he got some irons with more moi would he go from a 8 down to a 4??? i'd guess not but there's no way he wouldn't have better misses, which can in turn create better opportunity for his short game. the blades probably don't hurt his score for any given 18 hole round but you talk about all the rounds of golf over a year and it'll count somewhere for sure...(i look at golf as a snowball affect, better drives will lead to better iron play and better iron play leads to better short game etc...) but hey some people are ok with that and its the cost of playing what they want, i have no problem with that...but don't be delusional and tell me it's not detrimental down to the infinite degree somehow.

anyways i'm done responding back to you BLADEhunter...i feel an immense waste of time being done here arguing about different points of view with someone who is clearly ignorant about what helps a golfer and what doesn't. u said your elbow hurts so what??? why not keep hitting mb's while you're recovering it's not detrimental especially for a low cap like you right??? 

1 hour ago, 1putt2win2 said:

I've already posted about how i've seen better ball strikers who are higher caps and worse strikers that are lower caps, there's nothing that needs to be made sense too me man...you need to clarify your thoughts and think about what you're really arguing here...

I don't care what people use, if i did i'd have tons of topics about blades for amateurs and how they're blah blah blah, i'd be starting threads left and right about blade shaming but i don't...i've already stated how golf for the 99.9% of us whether you can break 70 or 100 is all the same thing...JUST A GAME, not a living, and we go out #1 to have fun...

What i'm arguing here is your logic or in my perception Lack of...tell me one advantage for a non professional where a blade has over a CB? if you say a lower launch well loft and a shaft can change that easily while retaining the same moi on misses...Hogan said we hit about 3 or 4 perfect shots a round and the rest we just manage our misses, and that's the perception of one of the greatest golfers of all time. 

again i have to say this as i feel you're taking this too personally, if i see a guy with blades i don't care what he's using, my first thought is he bought those because he must "like the way they look" and last time i checked this is a free country and i'm 100% gonna tell him "damn those clubs look nice" i've never met a guy who has blades and told me how good he hits them except my friend "Mike" who i mentioned earlier, who is like a reverse sandbagger...and i just let his ego make his wallet lighter with no problem..if he got some irons with more moi would he go from a 8 down to a 4??? i'd guess not but there's no way he wouldn't have better misses, which can in turn create better opportunity for his short game. the blades probably don't hurt his score for any given 18 hole round but you talk about all the rounds of golf over a year and it'll count somewhere for sure...(i look at golf as a snowball affect, better drives will lead to better iron play and better iron play leads to better short game etc...) but hey some people are ok with that and its the cost of playing what they want, i have no problem with that...but don't be delusional and tell me it's not detrimental down to the infinite degree somehow.

anyways i'm done responding back to you BLADEhunter...i feel an immense waste of time being done here arguing about different points of view with someone who is clearly ignorant about what helps a golfer and what doesn't. u said your elbow hurts so what??? why not keep hitting mb's while you're recovering it's not detrimental especially for a low cap like you right??? 

Ummmmm....sooo they don't make a measurable difference on an 18 hole round????  From your prospective why would anybody, pros included, benefit from playing blades? 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

16 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Ummmmm....sooo they don't make a measurable difference on an 18 hole round????  From your prospective why would anybody, pros included, benefit from playing blades? 

last time i checked pros don't get trophies after 18 holes buddy....do you look at your equipment as an 18 hole criteria? do you only measure your golf abilities by your best shots only??? even a broken clock is right twice a day.

5 minutes ago, 1putt2win2 said:

last time i checked pros don't get trophies after 18 holes buddy....do you look at your equipment as an 18 hole criteria? do you only measure your golf abilities by your best shots only??? even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'm genuinely wondering why you think a professional golfer would play bladed irons.  I haven't the foggiest what professionals have to do with your buddy's score being immeasurably changed.  How could one even attribute such a small detriment?       

I select my equipment based on what serves me best.  The measure of my golf abilities is my score.  The shame of my ignorance and ego is my unbearable burden. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

2 hours ago, 1putt2win2 said:

Lol.  You responded to me.  I didn’t post attacking your post.  I quoted nobody at all. Just shows who’s worried about it. Nothing personal meant.  I’m sure we could play a round in perfect harmony.  But we’re not going to agree that you don’t care about what some other dude is playing.  .  

I’m not explaining my entire self. I fall into that trap way too often.  Nsx likes to goat  me into a long post.  Then ignores it.  😂Then the goal post is moved to “ why are you hogging the thread “.

I swapped irons for the shafts.  I’m in the MMT  graphite now.  I sold a ping tour dept built set of blueprints to fund these $79 per shaft beauties.  At the time I couldn’t swing steel without pain.  I’m better now.  That’s he Uber short version.  I have gained nothing in the form of distance or control from the T100 heads.   They are very similar to an MB in the short irons. Really like a combo set.  But again. I digress. 

all I’m pointing out is the hilarity of guys who are worried about being accused of shaming a guy for what iron he plays.  The only reason  to comment here is if you have been shamed. Or have dished it out.  

I listened to it as a beginner a couple years ago.  And ignored it.  Railed against it. It’s the difference between guys who play this game to compete and the ones just drinking beer I think.  Some of us value more than “ forgiveness “.  And score best when we like what we’re hitting.  

funny true story.  You mention my screen name several times.  I came here collecting 8802 blade putters.  That’s where the name came from.  I had absolutely no clue that a blade iron had a stigma.  I just called them “ irons”.  See ball. Hit ball. Find ball. Hit her again.  Middle feels best. Hit it in the middle. It’s that simple. Then the hate  came.  It’s nuts the comments I’ve fielded in 6/7 years. I once posted a witb with the blueprints that made the sites main page as a focus. The hateful comments that bag drew was outrageous.  I mean downright mean , vile things.  For what ?  Jealousy ?  Stupidity ?  I have no clue. But it’s a real thing.  And those comments are anonymous, so no way to know who here said them.  

I say that  All the time I’m laughing to myself since the name was picked as innocently as possible.  If I’m lying I’m dying.  That’s a true story.  I’ve since sold my putter collection save 2 . 

anyway, I’m done.  Here’s my hand in truce. No sense in arguing over this dead horse.  👊peace. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I'm genuinely wondering why you think a professional golfer would play bladed irons.  I haven't the foggiest what professionals have to do with your buddy's score being immeasurably changed.  How could one even attribute such a small detriment?       

I select my equipment based on what serves me best.  The measure of my golf abilities is my score.  The shame of my ignorance and ego is my unbearable burden. 

ok if you're serious on the first question i'm gonna answer it to the best of my knowledge and why i "think" they chose a bladed iron (obviously i'm not the individual pro so i cant speak for them) alot of the pros who are 35+ years in age just grew up playing MB's, just plain facts, the technology wasn't there and they just grew up looking at a small topline and sharp leading edges, as we all know this game is just as mental as it's physical for the best players in the world...the pros have their ballstriking down pat, to a level  that even a +3 or +4 handicap has no idea what pure is...they're within 4 yards of distance control from even 200 yards....they dont need forgiveness, what they're looking for is to control trajectory and shape shots because with pin locations and course setups they play they need to make birdies when a different ballflight, different trajectory just won't hit it close to the pin. now for the majority of pros who don't use MB''s like Cantlay, Spieth, Bryson, Brooks etc...they're valuing something different, they're valuing forgiveness and having 192 to the pin and miss hitting it but still having the ball go 188 so they're not punished. maybe they want to use a lower launching shaft but like the look and feel of the CB...who knows? this is not a perfect answer as i've never been or claimed to be a GREAT golfer, just a decent amateur at one time...

let me ask you, as i'm genuinely wondering why you think a professional golfer wouldn't play bladed irons??? like i said in a earlier post Cantlay and Dechambeau shot -27 this past week and neither play a MB...

17 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I'm genuinely wondering why you think a professional golfer would play bladed irons. 

Because MB setup produces 5%-10% more spin on a loft to loft basis and that the Pro game is still about spin control. Also that the level of consistency and dispersion for them is wee bit tighter & higher. But that comes at the price of miss hits losing an extra 5-6 yards.That the CB's seen carried by Pro's often replicate that profile. Bubba's Ping's are not your Ping's. Jordan's AP2 were not retail AP2. See Callaway's dot series and their H stamps in irons and how they differ from retail and that might help too. If you play MB's on a regular basis you get what it means real world. Net result, the good is better, the bad is worse is simplest verdict one can ascribe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  You responded to me.  I didn’t post attacking your post.  I quoted nobody at all. Just shows who’s worried about it. Nothing personal meant.  I’m sure we could play a round in perfect harmony.  But we’re not going to agree that you don’t care about what some other dude is playing.  .  

I’m not explaining my entire self. I fall into that trap way too often.  Nsx likes to goat  me into a long post.  Then ignores it.  😂Then the goal post is moved to “ why are you hogging the thread “.

I swapped irons for the shafts.  I’m in the MMT  graphite now.  I sold a ping tour dept built set of blueprints to fund these $79 per shaft beauties.  At the time I couldn’t swing steel without pain.  I’m better now.  That’s he Uber short version.  I have gained nothing in the form of distance or control from the T100 heads.   They are very similar to an MB in the short irons. Really like a combo set.  But again. I digress. 

all I’m pointing out is the hilarity of guys who are worried about being accused of shaming a guy for what iron he plays.  The only reason  to comment here is if you have been shamed. Or have dished it out.  

I listened to it as a beginner a couple years ago.  And ignored it.  Railed against it. It’s the difference between guys who play this game to compete and the ones just drinking beer I think.  Some of us value more than “ forgiveness “.  And score best when we like what we’re hitting.  

funny true story.  You mention my screen name several times.  I came here collecting 8802 blade putters.  That’s where the name came from.  I had absolutely no clue that a blade iron had a stigma.  I just called them “ irons”.  See ball. Hit ball. Find ball. Hit her again.  Middle feels best. Hit it in the middle. It’s that simple. Then the hate  came.  It’s nuts the comments I’ve fielded in 6/7 years. I once posted a witb with the blueprints that made the sites main page as a focus. The hateful comments that bag drew was outrageous.  I mean downright mean , vile things.  For what ?  Jealousy ?  Stupidity ?  I have no clue. But it’s a real thing.  And those comments are anonymous, so no way to know who here said them.  

I say that  All the time I’m laughing to myself since the name was picked as innocently as possible.  If I’m lying I’m dying.  That’s a true story.  I’ve since sold my putter collection save 2 . 

anyway, I’m done.  Here’s my hand in truce. No sense in arguing over this dead horse.  👊peace. 

• Thanks 1

I have a friend from college that started at a young age and works as a greenskeeper. I didn't start until my late 20s and played some of my first rounds with him.  When he's in town and see's them in my living room, he make it a point to ask if I can hit them.  Granted I haven't played with him in years and have improved since then. 

He still ask despite the fact, the last 2 times I played with him I out played him. One of which on the course he grew up playing and my first time playing.  Nobody I play with regularly questions the blades.

As far as blades vs cavity backs, I think it's less of a difference than most people think.

Best score blades 70, cavity backs 73.  Just saying, even though I would have shot a 70 with cavity backs if I still had them in the bag.

I recently played ping super game improvement rentals on vacation.  Drove the ball great didn't break 90.  Gradually went from chunking irons to airmailing greens.  This is the norm with rentals. 

Got a six pack at the turn,  bottles?, not twist offs?, no bottle opener. Opened the bottles with the cavity back.  Can't do that with a blade.

First round back, 3 off the tee 3 times, broke 80.  14 GIR if you ignore the issues of the tee.  Probably, only flushed 2-3 iron shots.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Because MB setup produces 5%-10% more spin on a loft to loft basis and that the Pro game is still about spin control. Also that the level of consistency and dispersion for them is wee bit tighter & higher. But that comes at the price of miss hits losing an extra 5-6 yards.That the CB's seen carried by Pro's often replicate that profile. Bubba's Ping's are not your Ping's. Jordan's AP2 were not retail AP2. See Callaway's dot series and their H stamps in irons and how they differ from retail and that might help too. If you play MB's on a regular basis you get what it means real world. Net result, the good is better, the bad is worse is simplest verdict one can ascribe. 

100% agree.  I was more wondering what 1putt thought, because based on their posts, they didn't attribute a single positive merit to blades.   

1putt, I imagine the pro's that don't use blades do so because they prefer a different iron.  They get the performance they need out of them.  There are a multitude of terrific iron designs out there.  I doubt those that do play blades do so out of old age.  It is for the reasons Nard listed.  Hitting a blade pure isn't nearly as difficult as you describe, but to each there own.  My buddies gave me crap for being a single cap playing SGI irons, and it appears I'm now considered ignorant for playing blades .  Meh.   

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, bladehunter said:

Haven’t given up on anything.  I hurt my elbow , and sold them to fund the experiments to see what I could play.  I’m healed up now. If I could buy a set without waiting 7 years that’s the likely set I’d buy.  I’m certainly not married to the t100.  I like the short irons. But the long irons have too much bounce for me. I have to really come down hard to hit them crisp.  Same old song and dance for  me.  Wider the sole gets for me.  The less I like them.  

blueprint or titleist MB will be my next purchase.  I’ll transfer this shaft over.  

In which iron does the too much bounce start?

56 minutes ago, Poolparty said:

In which iron does the too much bounce start?

6.     Mind you it’s not nearly as severe as some irons.  But it’s the 6.    The 4/5 iron isn’t going to cut a good divot in the hard summer conditions I see.    I come into the ball shallow.  So I like an iron that gets into the ground  quick , and then wants to cut a shallow divot and exit.  This wants to stay up on top. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

6.     Mind you it’s not nearly as severe as some irons.  But it’s the 6.    The 4/5 iron isn’t going to cut a good divot in the hard summer conditions I see.    I come into the ball shallow.  So I like an iron that gets into the ground  quick , and then wants to cut a shallow divot and exit.  This wants to stay up on top. 

I have no problem hitting down on my 17s or son’s 730s, but my Launch Pads, as effortless as they seem to hit, , I always seem to have a slight problem hitting down on them as I do a blade. Mental I’m sure, but with the ‘Pads l, seem to wanna help elevate the ball, which makes no sense to me. Something  I’ll work on when I bag them. 

Edited by boggyman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I've been pondering a move to the T100 and it sounds like we have similar issues w irons. Playing w 4 degree gaps I'd have to strengthen the 4 and 5, lowering bounce, but not the 6. I hit the 7 great tho.

Would be nice if they gave us bounce and offset

1 hour ago, Poolparty said:

I've been pondering a move to the T100 and it sounds like we have similar issues w irons. Playing w 4 degree gaps I'd have to strengthen the 4 and 5, lowering bounce, but not the 6. I hit the 7 great tho.

Would be nice if they gave us bounce and offset

Came back to add.     I’ve been spending time with mine today , and i think I’ve helped them out quite a bit with adding weight ( lead tape ) to the long irons.  Sounds crazy but the strike has improved greatly.  What I was describing may very well just been mishit a groove low due to not feeling the clubhead in transition  like I wanted.   At any rate I gained some feel and consistency with the 4 and 5 I had been lacking.  I don’t know why I didn’t think about that before.  I put them on a scale today and the 4 and 5 were at c8.  Which is way lighter than I’m used to.  I worked on them by feel until it was good and measured again and had the 4 at D3 and the 5 at D4. Then went down the set hitting balls and only added weight to the 6 and 7 iron.  And not much on either.  Basically one short strip of the high density tape on the 6 and 7. 

so maybe look at that if you’re coming from old school standard type setup.  They’re usually in the D1-4 range.   Modern heads tend to step up lighter and lighter by bigger bargains than an MB which usually only changes a few grams per iron jump.  Food for thought.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Came back to add.     I’ve been spending time with mine today , and i think I’ve helped them out quite a bit with adding weight ( lead tape ) to the long irons.  Sounds crazy but the strike has improved greatly.  What I was describing may very well just been mishit a groove low due to not feeling the clubhead in transition  like I wanted.   At any rate I gained some feel and consistency with the 4 and 5 I had been lacking.  I don’t know why I didn’t think about that before.  I put them on a scale today and the 4 and 5 were at c8.  Which is way lighter than I’m used to.  I worked on them by feel until it was good and measured again and had the 4 at D3 and the 5 at D4. Then went down the set hitting balls and only added weight to the 6 and 7 iron.  And not much on either.  Basically one short strip of the high density tape on the 6 and 7. 

so maybe look at that if you’re coming from old school standard type setup.  They’re usually in the D1-4 range.   Modern heads tend to step up lighter and lighter by bigger bargains than an MB which usually only changes a few grams per iron jump.  Food for thought. 

They were all in the d4 range, except the 4 & 5?

I had JPX 900F, that had a leading edge designed to screw me. I switched to 900T that were a huge improvement but much less forgiving. Now I have a 919 Combo set. The tours are great, but the forged are too big to develop any confidence in. I have a lifetime subscription of lead tape and played the 900s at D4 and the I'm trying the 919s at D3. The T100 looks like it has the forgiveness I want but in a smaller package. And the new T100 looks to have a less shapley sole too. I might be a fool to not get them

25 minutes ago, Poolparty said:

They were all in the d4 range, except the 4 & 5?

I had JPX 900F, that had a leading edge designed to screw me. I switched to 900T that were a huge improvement but much less forgiving. Now I have a 919 Combo set. The tours are great, but the forged are too big to develop any confidence in. I have a lifetime subscription of lead tape and played the 900s at D4 and the I'm trying the 919s at D3. The T100 looks like it has the forgiveness I want but in a smaller package. And the new T100 looks to have a less shapley sole too. I might be a fool to not get them

Yep. Just the long irons.  

the new t100 looks great too.  I played with another member here who had a set last weekend.  Very good looking iron.  I’d have to hit them to give my thoughts on the sole. But on looks alone I’d try them.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock