2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

blade shaming ?

Fairway14

Blade Shamers are clowns.  I personally have big time respect for anyone who plays blades.  I bought a set of 712mbs recently as a backup.  I grew up playing Titleist and Wilson Staff blades and playing them gives me great joy.    IMO you'll get 10x more "ooh cool blades" vs unknowing pompous clowns mouthing off.  And even if they do who gives a rats glutes.   And all the more better if you beat them playing blades.  On a personal level my scores arent much different playing blades vs any other irons.

Edited by mosesgolf
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

1 hour ago, Lasorcier said:

Is that a real thing to leave the band on a cigar when smoking it?  That seems pretty stupid.

When you pay $60 for a high end cigar, you want everyone to know it!!

As for the shaming thing.... I mostly get good comments on my clubs. I have both MBs and Players CBs and score the same with all of them. As for looking at clubs in big box stores, If I want to hit something, I tell them what I want to hit and pull out my roll of lead tape. Never had a problem with any of the sales people. If someone asks what club I hit on a given shot, I just tell them the yardage I played and if I hit it clean. I think most of the stuff people mention is gamesmanship more than anything. People trying to get in your head to throw you off your game.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

2 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Is that a real thing to leave the band on a cigar when smoking it?  That seems pretty stupid.

Even better is the places that buy fake bands

A friend used to have a cigar warehouse/ distributorship on Flagler street in Miami

The cigars came in graded bundles from Honduras and Nicaragua and had no bands- the retailers then put their own bands on that could be anything ( fake cohiba as common as a fake scotty )

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never realized there was a debate over removing the band of a cigar before smoking it.

But don't smoke it with the cellophane wrapper still on...

...I won't make that mistake--twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 7/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Fairway14 said:

I know several amateur players, from 0 to 12 , who in recent years seem to have been shamed out of playing blades. Koepka and some other pros winning with big head cavity back irons has caused amateurs and Tour pros a like to maybe "feel ashamed" for playing muscle back blade irons. A few months ago longtime blade user Ricky Fowler put in his bag a set of cavity back irons. My guess is that he was tired of the eye rolls from people who looked in his bag after he missed a cut.
Have you or someone you know been shamed out of playing muscle back blade irons ? Do you agree that blade shaming is a real thing ?

When you play for a living and get in the severe funk he’s been in, you do what one needs to do to crawl out of that funk. Nice to see him on top of the boats today by the way!!

3 hours ago, Stinger83 said:

People don't shame my bag cuz I'm usually 50 yards ahead of them  🚨

I know the feeling all too well. 😂 

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

On 7/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, mukster said:

Shaming is saved for the guys who wear Crocs. 

Shaming is for FOOLS!

image.png.a0b5da970c3a76ba6bbeeb529db6ed80.png

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

57 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Shaming is for FOOLS!

image.png.a0b5da970c3a76ba6bbeeb529db6ed80.png

Lol! 

You know why Crocs have those holes in them? 
That’s where all your self esteem leaks out! 

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Shame anytime I could care less. I hit blades better. Always have and probably always will. I hit them more solid with better control. My scores show it and I’ve never hit any club to get someone’s approval. I use what I hit best. 

• Like 2

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

couldn't :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

What about 4x4 shaming? Big time 20 handicap city slicker parks way back in the parking lot? That truck is never going off road. Maybe the 4wd will engage on the way home from golf galaxy on a winters day when there was nothing to do but hit into a simulator then post on Instagram about all the 300 yard drives. 🏆

Maybe Dad shaming should be a thing. You know, that same 20 HCP, blade playing 4x4 driving, cigar band smoking Instagram posting, ignoring his wife to drink beer and play Golden Tee with the boyz while the kids are glued to a device so they’ll shut up types. 

This stuff is never not funny! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

It seems to me that the act of "shaming" someone for their actions can only be referred to as such if the person on the receiving end actually feels shame as a result of it.  Otherwise the said shaming is really only an opinion.  The feeling of shame only comes if one recognizes that they are doing something wrong or foolish.  Playing blades is not something that falls into that category for me and as such I cannot be "shamed" for doing it.

Bottom line?  If you think you are being shamed then you probably are.

8 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

Maybe Dad shaming should be a thing. You know, that same 20 HCP, blade playing 4x4 driving, cigar band smoking Instagram posting, ignoring his wife to drink beer and play Golden Tee with the boyz while the kids are glued to a device so they’ll shut up types. 

Quality. 

I'm still stuck on the $60 cigar thing.  At least an expensive golf club like a pretty blade will last longer than the cigar, although that could depend on temper and level of intoxication.  But I wouldn't shame somebody for it.  I would hope it is a good cigar though.

2 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Quality. 

I'm still stuck on the $60 cigar thing.  At least an expensive golf club like a pretty blade will last longer than the cigar, although that could depend on temper and level of intoxication.  But I wouldn't shame somebody for it.  I would hope it is a good cigar though.

Its a diminishing returns thing, IMHO. 

Blade stigma: I have blades, I must be good. 

Cigar stigma: I have a $60 cigar, I must know the difference. 

Ball stigma: these are $100/dozen, I’m good. 

Shaft stigma: Mine are extra stiff, because I’m a big time swinger. 

275 yard driver stigma: short knocker 

325 yard stigma: I’m really f’n good 

feel free to continue.....

It’s hilarious what Karen and Todd are up to these days. The Jones’s retired and went to Florida. 

🤣🤣🤣

I was browsing the MPF's for the irons I played when I was a single digit hc(8) and it was less than 400, the number typically associated with blades. They were the Cleveland TA3 (cast). Even though many would say only lower single digit hc should play blades I think that depends on the person, in my case I hook the ball and less offset helps me. Plus I have a tendency to overswing (like many amateurs), however, playing unforgiving blades (or small cb's) is a very good cure for that. It's a shame that more higher hc'er don't try blades(or small cb's) to help them with overswinging. 

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Fairway14 said:

Referring to Anser/Newport style putters as "blades" is a separate subject for another thread.

More relevant to this particular thread is putter shaming. Blade iron shaming has been happening for about 25 years now, but shaming anyone not playing a big mallet head putter is a relatively new thing, gaining momentum the past few years.

This is so true.  I was putting with a ping nome for the last 7-8 years and liked it but switched to an old school ping anser 3 this year. After a new grip and some lead tape my putting has improved, specifically lag putting.  I liked the stability of the mallet on short putts but my distance control is so much better with the anser and i feel like the extra feedback I get forces me to be more mindful of my stroke.  I've had scotty's, odyssey's, other pings, and I can say I am putting my best probably ever with the 40 year old anser.

I just put my old 710 mb's back in the bag today. Hardly any groves on the 7 and 9 iron. I've tried to go to something more forgiving with the 919 tours. I love them. But for some reason my misses were wider. 

So I'm probably going to order a new set of 620 mb's. They just work better for my swing. No idea why but I'm tired of looking for something I already found. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

I just put my old 710 mb's back in the bag today. Hardly any groves on the 7 and 9 iron. I've tried to go to something more forgiving with the 919 tours. I love them. But for some reason my misses were wider. 

So I'm probably going to order a new set of 620 mb's. They just work better for my swing. No idea why but I'm tired of looking for something I already found. 

Those 620's are some nice looking clubs. I just got my first set of Titleist irons I've ever tried since I started playing in 1995 and they really look nice, '99 DCI 990B.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Dug my MP 67s out and took em for a spin today. Hit them better than my gamers and anything that I have demo’d recently. They are back in the bag (for now). 

play what makes you happy. Who cares what people think. 

• Like 4

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

It's been a while since I had a blade-like set in my bag, but recently,  I decided to get a set of PING Blueprint irons.

Last Summer, I had S55's and enjoyed the heck out of them, but so far the Blueprints are as much fun or more.

I love the look, the sound and the flight of the ball.  

It's funny, but they looked small behind the ball for the first few shots.  After four rounds, I'm used to their look and feel. 

I’m in the same boat as they don’t look small at all to me. Everyone says that but huge irons look like they’re not going to work to me. I play apex mb and don’t feel intimidated at all. When I had 785/585 combo set I had zero confidence that I was going to get through the ball and those aren’t exactly huge 

The beauty of golf is that there is no one set way to play the game. Figuring out the club types and set-ups that allow you to play your best golf and/or give you the greatest enjoyment is one of the joys of the game. A golf buddy just put MP-20 blades in the bag this year and has seen his handicap drop from a 5 to 1. His bad days have been bit worse, but his good rounds have been substantially better this year, so blades clearly work for him. Unfortunately, even though I've played blades in the past, I don't fall into the category of guys that play better with them.

Play what you want. Just don't be the guy that sprays everything left and right and claims to need blades because you like to "work" the ball.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I don't know if the CB's Fowler is playing has been discussed(how do you search a specific thread??) but it appears his "new" irons are the 2017 King Forged CB with a MPF of 398, which is close to some straight solid blades I've seen. This isn't at all GI but would be somewhat easier to hit that his other blades and is a lot less than many other forged CB's I've seen.

Notes: