2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing SOOOOOO bad rant........

launcher

I know we've all been there. But I think I'm hitting rock bottom. I also know, that over the next few day, I'll be ready to pick up the pieces and try again. 

I'll try to be brief, but probably not going to be. 

About me: 62 years of age. Best days are long behind me. Only play about 5-6 times a month now, and absolutely never, ever practice. Considering all of that, actually played pretty well last season, and really well at the start of this season. Still relying on the basic changes that were shown to me via a lesson I took about 7 years ago, which was the last time I played this bad. 

The problem: Extremely inconsistent. Can't seem to put two swings together. In the past when I've had a couple of bad rounds, it always revolved around the same few basic mistakes, that were pointed out in the lesson I mentioned from several years ago. I either stop shifting my weight, let my head creep to the target early, have poor hip turn on the backswing, or get my right elbow and right hip disconnected. The result is a vicious over the top sort of move. 

Which brings me to the psychological component. In the last couple of years, I've been a little worried that I'll get to the point where I'm just too old, and won't have the athleticism to play well anymore. 

Since I played extremely well at the start of this season, I'm hoping that I have a few good years left. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that some will say that I will either have to spend some time on the range, or maybe even consider another lesson. I'm hoping for something simpler, like a swing cue of course. 

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

Even the pros go off the rails occasionally , so it is hardly unusual for amateurs to also do so. The pros are not reticent to seeing their chosen instructors when this happens. This is the time for you to see a competent instructor . 
Unless you have experienced a specific injury or illness  recently ,it is highly unlikely that natural aging is the cause of your current swing issues. 

Without looking at your swing, I bet money that because you are coming over the top your hands and arms are dominating the swing, with the hands as leaders instead of followers.  The tail is wagging the dog.  Handsy swings are at the mercy of good timing, with some days you have it and some days not.  Blind draw on some days.  No consistency.  Invariably, inconsistency stems from overuse of the hands through impact.  A good golf swing involves proper body turn or pivot, combined with correct positioning of the hands and arms at various parts of the swing.  Quick fixes last only for a few rounds, as other faults in your swing will eventually manifest itself.  You build a swing that goes through correct positioning, and that requires correct knowledge, work, and regular practice.  The secret's in the dirt, and you know that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, launcher said:

let my head creep to the target early

Take that one off of your list.  Ever seen Inbee Park's golf swing in slow mo?  I'm sure if you sat and watched guys golf all day on a public course, you'd here the "I didn't keep my head down" (or some variation) lament numerous times during the day.  Most likely not their problem.  Anyway, I'm 61 and though I started playing golf in my early 20s, played very sporadically (often skipping golf for years when I was raising the kids) until I retired back in 2015.  Now I play two to three times per week on average, and am definitely playing better than I ever did as a youngster.  I do try to keep myself in decent shape with light weights and stretching, so that probably helps.  I'm almost exclusively a walker when it comes to golf, and I think that helps the game as well. 

I'd suggest that maybe you have too many swing thoughts going on.  My one swing thought is basically "keep your right arm straight" (I'm a lefty), and that seems to keep me pretty consistent.  Granted, I'm basically a bogey golfer, so my standard might be lower than yours.  You may never get back to your previous level of proficiency, but maybe simplifying the game by carrying fewer clubs, worrying less about score, and just going out to have a nice hike with some golf thrown in might help you enjoy the game again. 

Edited by jordan2240
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You want a magic bullet? There isn't one. Find out the issue and change it with practice. 

If you want to get the most out of what you have then commit to every shot. Full commitment. Finish your swing.

I think this is underrated.  

• Like 1

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

27 years old here, just started playing golf more consistently again. I have quickly found out when I don't take it too seriously, that is when my best scores appear. I recently watched the Tiger vid that just came out where he is talking to Dwayne Wade. In one of the scenes Wade hits a house but performs a better swing then he did the shot before and Tiger said, "But that's good." That really made me realize at the end of the day most of us are not going to be scratch golfers but we can be better golfers. Control what you can and have fun doing it. You have plenty of good years left. I lose to my 89 year old grandfather every time.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

OP here, 

Thanks for all the replies guys. Definitely helpful. I'm at the point I've been at many times in the past when in a funk. Haven't played for about a week, so I now have renewed faith, ready to get back on the horse that threw me off. 

Playing tomorrow morning, so will try not to overthink. Still believe that I need to focus on weight shift. I really should hit some balls first, but never do. We'll see how it goes. Don't want to say, it can't get any worse, as I've proved that wrong before. 

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

41 minutes ago, launcher said:

OP here, 

Thanks for all the replies guys. Definitely helpful. I'm at the point I've been at many times in the past when in a funk. Haven't played for about a week, so I now have renewed faith, ready to get back on the horse that threw me off. 

Playing tomorrow morning, so will try not to overthink. Still believe that I need to focus on weight shift. I really should hit some balls first, but never do. We'll see how it goes. Don't want to say, it can't get any worse, as I've proved that wrong before. 

Forget focusing on weight shift and focus on full commitment to the shot with the intention that the club is moving its fastest two foot after the ball. That's a simple non technical thought that'll make you shift your weight. 

OP again, 

After a couple of more terrible rounds, I went out today with even more swing thoughts than I could possibly keep straight in my head. First drive was so terrible, I could have quit right there. 

Thank goodness I finally hit rock bottom. At that point, I gave up on thinking. Not totally sure what I did, but, I think I just stopped being so analytical, and went back to the feel player that I am. 

After a couple of more holes, I started playing extremely well. Once the solid shots start the confidence just seems to naturally follow. Will this continue, who knows, but as of today, I feel a whole lot better about things. 

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

67 years old here. I’m afraid you’ll be spending a little time on the practice ground. Hitting balls is fun too. 
whenever I get lost I ALWAYS go back to the 9 to 3 drill. Not a lot can go wrong with the 9 to 3 and you’ll get that confidence of hitting the ball well. Take those feelings out to the course. 

You think you’re playing bad? My traveling senior league makes me play from the ladies tee. 
My game is so bad this year I had to have my ball retriever regripped
Though yesterday I hit my best 2 balls. I stepped on a rake.

I shot my age 62 yesterday … after playing 7 holes.

• Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

4 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

You think you’re playing bad? My traveling senior league makes me play from the ladies tee. 
My game is so bad this year I had to have my ball retriever regripped
Though yesterday I hit my best 2 balls. I stepped on a rake.

I shot my age 62 yesterday … after playing 7 holes.

Thanks for the good laugh!! I'm sure you're just trying to make me feel better about my game. Trust me, stick with it, it's gonna' get better. 

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

On 7/29/2021 at 9:22 PM, launcher said:

I know we've all been there. But I think I'm hitting rock bottom. I also know, that over the next few day, I'll be ready to pick up the pieces and try again. 

I'll try to be brief, but probably not going to be. 

About me: 62 years of age. Best days are long behind me. Only play about 5-6 times a month now, and absolutely never, ever practice. Considering all of that, actually played pretty well last season, and really well at the start of this season. Still relying on the basic changes that were shown to me via a lesson I took about 7 years ago, which was the last time I played this bad. 

The problem: Extremely inconsistent. Can't seem to put two swings together. In the past when I've had a couple of bad rounds, it always revolved around the same few basic mistakes, that were pointed out in the lesson I mentioned from several years ago. I either stop shifting my weight, let my head creep to the target early, have poor hip turn on the backswing, or get my right elbow and right hip disconnected. The result is a vicious over the top sort of move. 

Which brings me to the psychological component. In the last couple of years, I've been a little worried that I'll get to the point where I'm just too old, and won't have the athleticism to play well anymore. 

Since I played extremely well at the start of this season, I'm hoping that I have a few good years left. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that some will say that I will either have to spend some time on the range, or maybe even consider another lesson. I'm hoping for something simpler, like a swing cue of course. 

If you don't practice you don't get to complain.

I'm younger so please don't take this wrong, but I went through this a few years back with my grandpa.  He was always a short hitter but accurate and chip/putt was lights out.   The kind of guy to play a 400 yard par 4 as driver-3 wood-pitch-1 putt and card and shoot his age often.  

He hit his 80's and lost a lot of what little off the tee power he had.   I said grandpa, why not try like a 13 or 14 degree driver? Or maybe some senior flex shafts?  You would've thought I said hey grandpa, your balls really are in grandma's purse huh.  

He went to California for the winter, lost all his golf funny money on side bets, came home, went full on "old guy" with his clubs.  "Senior flex" graphite everything, 14º driver, high lofted 3-5-7 woods, hybrids for his long and medium irons, PING G series 7-8-9 and kept his old Wilson wedges and putter.     He shot a 90 for 18 at the age of 89.

With a screen name like you've got, it's probably going to be a tough pill to swallow, but without practice you're expecting a lot.   You have plenty of time left and current technology is almost the magic bullet you seek.   There's nothing sexy about a bag full of "old guy clubs" but when you take everyone's money it spends the same.  🙂

All that said, something I found helped him a ton was focusing on smooth tempo and working on keeping his right elbow in close.  He is a flexible old coot so it works and even in his late 90's now, he still will come out and ride around, even playing a few holes here and there.  He can hit the ball over 100 yards and actually par'd a 412 yard par 5 (ladie's/senior's tees), doing what I said before.   Driver, 3 wood, 3 wood, 3 wood, made a 30 footer. 

Best wishes!

Edited by dan360
  • Like 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21