Any High School Golf Coaches on here?

cvvorst

I hope this is the right forum, but are there any high school golf coaches on here? 

A school I know of might be looking for a new coach for the high school girls team (and possibly boys team) It's not a big team, and it's not a ultra competitive position/sport for the school either. My kids are younger, and are in the school now. My wife works at the school as well. Word is they might be looking to replace the current coach. Not because he's doing a poor job as a coach, but other reasons (nothing too serious, and he might not even be replaced) People there know I am an avid golfer, so there's a chance I might be asked to fill in. 

I have no training/certification to coach golf. I know I'd be a poor substitute for a real certified PGA Pro. I am not very good in regards to technical knowledge about the swing, I play more by feel. But if it's just to help watch over them and help them be able to compete, I would be happy to help or fill in. At the same time, I would try and have one of my friends (guys who are actual Pros) fill in instead.

Has anyone on here coached as an amateur without teaching experience/coaching experience? Anyone with experiences to share as a high school coach? Would I be in way over my head?

I am hoping I am not needed to fill in, but I wanted to see if any others have had similar situations or advice before I commit to something. Thanks in advance for any help!

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Have you looked at your state's laws/rules for teaching and coaching?  Here in Texas you have to be a certified teacher to coach in public school, but different states have different rules.  I coach football and baseball (would love to get the golf gig).  If you have a general coaching question, I can help you out.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

My high school coach was FAR from 'qualified' to coach our team.  He was just a math teacher who happened to play.  He couldn't break 90 if his life depended on it and knew absolutely nothing about the technical aspects of a golf swing.  He was only there to make sure we didn't get (too) out of line.  I'm sure he was happy enough to do it since he got to play 9 every time we had a match and I'm sure he got a couple extra bucks for it.

Obviously, a real coach/pro would be ideal.  But if you're not in an ultra competitive division/conference/district you could (more than likely) absolutely fill in.  Even if you're not in a position to give technical swing advice you could absolutely teach them some etiquette, some teamwork, how to win like you've been there before, and conversely how lose like you've been there before, etc.  Isn't that what high school sports is all about anyway?

• Thanks 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Should get plenty of info/advice in this thread.

Also, as @dugue4 mentioned You may not even be allowed to be the coach depending on your state. I know the state I grew up in you had to be a certified teacher (even if it was just PE or Driver's Ed) and be teaching classes in that school in order to be a coach.

Edited by Abh159

My experience for individual sports like tennis/golf/swimming is that the "Coach" is really more of a team manager.  Setting lineups, managing schedules, running practices.  They generally have some basic knowledge of the game but are not expected to provide skill based instruction.  The most you would likely provide to individual players would be course management and strategy tips.  You would not be expected to provide instruction unless there was something very, very basic.

Teams sports like baseball/basketball/football have more "real" coaches.

We had a tennis coaching crisis a few years ago and my buddy and I almost stepped up to volunteer (both kids on the team).  We are both decent tennis players but are not qualified to teach strokes, but could help with strategy, lineups, and court position/management.

edit:  Live in Georgia.  parents/community can coach but need a teacher sponsor who "should" attend all practices and matches.  

Edited by david.c.w

Coached varsity high school boys and girls golf for 44 seasons over 24 years. Recently retired after Covid wiped out the spring 2020 boys season after 4 days of practice. I am/was not a pro or anywhere near it. Lowest lifetime handicap is probably 8. I found that the season schedule didn't really allow for wholesale instruction/swing changes, etc. for players as after one week of practice we were often competing three days out of five during the week, 90% of the time on the road, and only practicing two days and working with 8-10 players. Serious/competitive players took private lessons during the summer and sometimes on non-competition days and I asked what their instructor had them working on and attempted to support and reinforce that. My biggest strength was in teaching course management, mental aspects of the game and emotional control.

• Like 3

Elementary teacher/high school coach who just finished his 8th year of coaching. My first few years, I had really good teams (district team champs, an individual who qualified for the state tournament twice, etc.) and I kind of just let the team go play. Some of the players had their own swing coaches, so I just let them go. The kids that didn't, all I did was work on course management with them.

The last few years, my team hasn't been that good. My 6 player roster this season has 4 players that have never touched a golf club until July of this year. Our best player shoots 48 for 9 holes, and some of the players can't break 70 for 9. I'm definitely at a loss for what to do with them. I can't coach the full swing, and our home course does not have a head pro.

Reading all of the descriptions about the coaches of your high school team or your kids' high school teams makes me worry that I'm almost the same as the coaches that you are complaining about. I'm trying to get better, but I just don't know what to do with kids who can barely make contact on the driving range.

Basically, that whole rant was just my way of saying that I think you're more qualified to be a coach than you think you are.

• Like 2

Thank you guys so much! Just glanced at the replies, going to dig into them and look into the things mentioned. 

I feel more confident thinking I'm more a manager than a swing coach. I can certainly focus on etiquette and behavior as a competitor. I played high school football /golf and played some college football. So I have that experience under me belt at least. 

I'll get more information regarding expectations. And telling them I expect to be a temporary coach until they can get a real pro. 

• Like 1

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Disclaimer: I am not a coach.

That said I played all through school and as mentioned above in more situations than not the golf coach is just another weekend golfer that decided (or got voluntold) he was going to coach. My daughter is 9 and by the time she hits middle school im planning on getting the necessary certification to assistant coach. The local middle school coach currently is another guy I graduated high school with who couldnt sniff 90 on a good day. He is a great guy and is good with kids...but as a former junior golfer I would have appreciated some level of proper instruction during my time playing middle / high school golf. 

Where we are (Georgia) you can attend an 8 hour training and pass a background / drug test to become certified to coach / assist within the state. 

I think what is also beneficial is having some level of 'buy-in' from the teams home course where the head pro is willing to help out when he has time. That was our dynamic throughout my years playing and it helped quite a bit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcneergolf said:

Along this line sort of.. expecting I could not assistant coach but could I like pay for the team to have a group lesson(s) or other golf outings ? Or is there rules against that sort of thing?

Paying for group lessons will most likely yield poor results. If a kid likes golf the biggest thing they need is parents support and those parents will need to seek out lessons.

I watched a girls high school match yesterday and the team was not very good. I never seen so many people disinterested in playing.  When the kids are putting more then 6 and taking 10-15 shots on the green it really is not lack of skill but an indication they just do not care. 

Group lessons are ok for exposing kids to golf and teach them how to behave on the course but for a kid to really improve they need serious range time and individual lessons. 

• Like 2

If you take the position and know nothing about the swing, you're a perfect candidate.   The worst thing any golf coach at the HS level could do is start messing with swings.  Most of these kids if they're decent already have swing coaches.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I am a coach.

Just finished up my 4th season as assistant coach for girls high school team.  Was asked by the head coach if I was interested in helping, when my daughter was a freshman, as I was always hanging around anyways.  That season, there were 19 girls on the team.  This season we had 18.  Pretty hard for 1 person to handle a group like that.

In my opinion, from the location that I am in, and the matches and tournaments that I have been to, there is no need to be a "teaching pro" or club professional be be "qualified" to be a high school golf coach.  As most have mentioned, most the the top players have been working with a swing coach, long before they make it to high school.

It is important is to allow the players to swing the way they are comfortable with.  No need to try and change things, as the high school golf season for us (Wisconsin) is short enough, that the results could be negative.  You can make minor suggestions, as you do know the game, but to be honest, once the HS season starts, there is really not a lot of time for major changes.

What you can do is be a positive role model for the kids, and make things enjoyable and fun.  Granted they need to listen and respect you, your comments and desire to win.  But there are ways to bridge both sides of that.  Get to know your players, treat them equally, and they will do what is asked of them.

You can help them with course management, rules, proper etiquette, and being a good teammates.  Additionally, try and teach the players (boys or girls) to be making the right decisions all the time both on and off the course and to be good students.  Also, understand that some players will be competitive and some perhaps are there because it's a fun activity and they get to spend time with their friends.  Again, you learn your players, and they they respond to.

You are there also to help facilitate schedules, range time, tee times, setting up bus transportation, homecoming parade floats, year end banquets, and taking selfies, and tik tok videos with the kids.   Most responsible parent would be considered "qualified" in doing that.

I cannot stress enough to understand the caliber of players you have on your team, and set reasonable and realistic goals not only for the team, but for yourself as well.

I have very much enjoy being a part of the golf team, and look forward to contributing for many more years.  It's has been a great experience, and when done correctly, can be a positive influence on young people in so many ways.  Seeing them improve their game, scores, and become better kids and teammates is what your looking to achieve.  I ran into a former player (2 seasons out) at the grocery store this past summer.  She told me how much fun she has during her time on the golf team, and how it has helped her in her college years both on the course and in the classroom.  Let me tell you, well that's the good stuff right there.

Have fun with it,  you wont regret it.

• Like 3