2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Arg's Travel Log

Ack. I have a three hour drive to San Diego this morning, but the silly RV park doesn't allow check-in until 2 pm. Show up early and it's a $30 charge. Check out time is 11 am, so no idea why what they're doing for 3 hours. Forcing everyone to check in late also creates a bottleneck with a line of motorhomes, 5th wheels, and travel trailers queued up at the front gate.

I'll give them a call and see if I can arrive an hour early without incurring a penalty. Otherwise I'm going to take the slow road. The direct route is CA-74 through the mountains. I drove it once before, and I believe it's a fairly hairy road with steep climbs/descents, and few passing lanes. Don't know if I want the stress.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Slight change of plans for mid-February. After a week in Orange, I was originally planning to spend the following week east of LA. On my last visit to the city I was driving up Highway 1 near Manhattan Beach heading to LAX and I noticed several small RV parks along the ocean. I thought to myself that it would be cool to camp along the Pacific for a few days. 

So, instead of heading east from Orange I'm going to spend 4 nights near LAX along the ocean. Hopefully I can get a tee time at Los Verdes. Might also play Rancho Park and Alondra. 

Only drawback is that there's a constant stream of planes overhead heading to and from LAX. Hopefully it's not too bad. The majority of the RV parks I've stayed in are close to the highways or train tracks, so noise is a reality. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Slight change of plans for mid-February. After a week in Orange, I was originally planning to spend the following week east of LA. On my last visit to the city I was driving up Highway 1 near Manhattan Beach heading to LAX and I noticed several small RV parks along the ocean. I thought to myself that it would be cool to camp along the Pacific for a few days. 

So, instead of heading east from Orange I'm going to spend 4 nights near LAX along the ocean. Hopefully I can get a tee time at Los Verdes. Might also play Rancho Park and Alondra. 

Only drawback is that there's a constant stream of planes overhead heading to and from LAX. Hopefully it's not too bad. The majority of the RV parks I've stayed in are close to the highways or train tracks, so noise is a reality. 

I think you are referencing Dockweiler RV park which is literally oceanfront in Dockweiler Beach and right under LAX's runways.  I would add Chester Washington Golf Course to your list as a backup.  Better conditioned than Alondra but shorter with smaller greens.  Los Verdes tee time are hard to come by.  You will have better luck showing up at the crack of dawn and going on the wait list as a single.  

• Like 1

Well that was an unpleasant drive to San Diego. There were no rest stops on the route, and no easily accessible gas stations as far as I could tell, so it was 3 straight hours of driving. I developed a knot in my lower right back, and even my heated, massaging seat pad didn't help. Torture. 

The crazy 6 to 8 lane highways didn't help. Very poor signage indicating when a lane is going to end, or divert to another highway. I generally stay in the right lane, especially here in California where the speed limit is 55 mph if you're towing. Feels like you're standing still at times. 

Both Google Maps and my Garmin GPS were of little help, giving me much too little notice of a necessary lane change, or two or three. Other drivers were less than courteous most of the time, so I had to barg my way in on occasion. 

Made it here in the one piece, though. Don't feel like going out after that drive, so I'll stay in and have a beer and watch some golf. The RV park is very nice. Roomy concrete pads with plenty of parking for the Honda, unlike the previous one. I'm right on San Diego Bay with views of the water. 

Figures I'd roll into town and bring crummy weather with me. Rain is forecast to roll in tomorrow afternoon, and it'll be off and on through Monday. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

I was able to book an early morning round at Balboa Park on Thursday morning. Been trying for several days. 

Mt Woodson tomorrow. Looks like a long drive. 

I had an early tee time at Singing Hills (Willow Glen) on Monday, but I moved it to Sunday, as the chance for rain looks a little less. 

Still planning to play Coronado on Tuesday afternoon. No luck finding anything earlier yet. 

Still have two days open. How would you rank the following: Enagic, Singing Hills (Oak Glen), Steele Canyon, San Vincente, Bonita, Cottonwood, and Tecolate Canyon? 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I was able to book an early morning round at Balboa Park on Thursday morning. Been trying for several days. 

Mt Woodson tomorrow. Looks like a long drive. 

I had an early tee time at Singing Hills (Willow Glen) on Monday, but I moved it to Sunday, as the chance for rain looks a little less. 

Still planning to play Coronado on Tuesday afternoon. No luck finding anything earlier yet. 

Still have two days open. How would you rank the following: Enagic, Singing Hills (Oak Glen), Steele Canyon, San Vincente, Bonita, Cottonwood, and Tecolate Canyon? 

I enjoyed Balboa the last time I played there a few years ago, a few quirky holes but a good old school feel to the course and was a fun play. The pro shop was a good old school muni shop as well. 

• Like 2

Ugh. My stay in San Diego isn't getting off to a great start. Seems I picked up a cold on Thursday in PS, and it hit me hard yesterday afternoon. I had a headache that turned into a full blown case of the chills and fever. I crawled into bed at 7 pm wearing sweats, and an extra blanket, and my teeth were chattering. Woke up early and called Mt Woodson to cancel my tee time. No way I was going to manage the 40 minute drive out there. 

After rolling back into bed I finally got up a few minutes ago. After 14+ hours of sleep I'm feeling a little better. Pretty sure it's a cold, and not the flu. I've had the flu several times, and I'm usually in bed for a day and a half. 

It's cloudy, but nice outside. I might suck it up and take a short drive to Coronado GC. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to walk on late morning. If not I still have my tee time on Tuesday. 

Ack. Just looked at the radar, and heavy rain is heading this way. Looks like I'll crawl back into bed. Lol. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

A rather unpleasant morning. After spending a good portion of the day yesterday in bed, and another night with 10+ hours of sleep, I was feeling up to a round today. Barely. AccuWeather showed a 3 hour gap in the rain, so I thought I might get lucky weatherwise. Yeah, right. It rained steady for 15 and a half holes. Better than 18 I guess. Not the best day to be walking around while under the weather. Only positive was that the temps were mild, so I didn't get overly hot in the rain gear.

Slight change of plans at the course. I was scheduled to play the Willow Glen course at Singing Hills, but when I arrived I was informed that it was cart path only on Willow Glen, and walking only on the Oak Glen course. I would have been in the 5th group out on Willow, and I could tell it was going to be one of those infamous 5 hour California rounds. Lol. No thanks. With few walkers, I went out as single behind a threesome on Oak Glen, and they let me play through on the 3rd hole. While the weather was crummy, at least I was able to get it over with. 

Not sure if I made the right call, because the Oak Glen course was fairly meh. It looks like they've added a few watery areas to the course recently, but that didn't do a whole lot. The course sits in a shallow valley, so while there are some nice views of the surrounding hills, the course itself is rather flat, with the exception of a couple of slight elevation changes. Bunkering was very light. Water in play on 5 holes. Zero left/right movement. 

Very easy off the tee with light bunkering and modestly wide fairways. Only real danger was hitting across the gully on the par 4 5th. Minor misses would catch the generous rough. Other than on a couple of holes, big misses would find an adjacent fairway. Approaches were a little tougher due to the small greens. Greens were moderately sloped, but had minor contouring, so putting was fairly straightforward. Up and downs the same. 

The three par 3s were meh. The 4th was the best of the three with a forced carry over a pond. The three 5s were also benign. The 7th might be reachable on a dry day, but no real risk. The two short 4s were snoozers. 

Conditions were soft with standing water in spots, but still playable. Course looked scruffy with various turf grasses masquerading as rough. Didn't find a bunker all day, but they looked decent. Greens weren't half bad, and were surprisingly quick for being so wet. Probably rolling 10 to start, but slowed as the rain continued. 

Played a Blue/White combo at 6365 yds (70.7/124). Decent day off the tee, but my low draw was going nowhere in the soggy conditions. Playing in the rain is certainly not my strong suit. One birdie and nine bogies. Highlight of the day was simply being out of the RV after two days of sleeping. Lol. 

I'll be very nice and go with 4 cows here. Probably closer to three. Just not much to get excited about. Did appreciate the young staffer giving me the resident walking rate when I elected to play the OG course. I think they were hoping more players would walk to ease the congestion. $90 wasn't bad for a weekend round in the area. Course needs plenty of changes to make it interesting. Not bad if you're simply looking to wack a ball around for a few hours, but otherwise it can easily be skipped. 

• Like 3

Singing Hills Golf Resort at Sycuan, Oak Glen Course, El Cajon, CA 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/7ubdxexr79i7h00zebvqq/h?rlkey=jr9f98veqn64x7815fcr5uwl7&dl=0

• Like 4

Much better scene in San Diego. Starting at San Diego Brewing. They have 9 of their own brews on tap, and 25 guest taps. Went with a Russian River Brewing Damnation Belgian Strong Golden Ale. Not bad. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Are you still planning on playing Goat Hill Park while in the San Diego area?  Glad you are feeling a little better.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

23 minutes ago, DE-ILLINI said:

Are you still planning on playing Goat Hill Park while in the San Diego area?  Glad you are feeling a little better.

Yeah, I've got Goat Hill on my list for next week when I'm in Oceanside. 

• Like 2

Tomorrow's forecast looks worse than today's with rain all morning. Going to take a day off from golf and hit the rails. I purchased a round trip ticket on Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner from San Diego to Los Angeles. The route runs along the Pacific Ocean from San Diego to San Clemente, so if the weather isn't awful I should get some nice views. 

Several years ago I took Amtrak's Coastal Starlight from Seattle to LA, and I've also ridden the Cascades from Vancouver, BC, to Seattle, so this will allow me complete the entire west coast route. 

• Like 4

Sitting here listening to the rain on Bessie's roof. The radar shows that it might actually stop shortly, but the courses will probably be a mess. I got an email from Arrowwood stating that the course would be closed today, so the train trip is probably a wiser choice. I'll tee it up at Coronada tomorrow.

Since I booked a SD city course, I'm now getting spammed. Oy. However, this morning's email actually included some useful information. Torrey Pines will reopen on Wednesday, January 31st for public play, 3 days after the conclusion of the Farmers. 'Probably going to queue up the following day for the South course, and have another round booked later in the morning in case I can't get on.

Well that was stressful. Oy. Nearly missed my train. I checked the travel time yesterday, and it was 15 minutes to travel 9 miles to the station. Figured an hour would be plenty of time. Of course I didn't factor in the Monday morning idiots crashing into each other in the rain on I-5, so it was 40 minutes. Luckily the parking lot next to the station had open spaces or I'd probably still be circling around trying to find parking. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lol. Not much of a view on a crummy day, but beats sitting in the RV. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Bah. Looks like I messed up. I booked the return trip out of LA leaving 18 minutes after I arrive. I figured that on a route with no freight traffic the train would be close to being on time. Currently pulling into the 3rd stop, Oceanside, 16 minutes late. I'll monitor the progress, and hopefully we can make up time. If not I'll hop off in Fullerton or Anaheim, and give myself some cushion. 

I've traveled out of LA's Union Station twice before, so photos aren't quite needed. Not sure if I can transfer my ticket to the next departure. I'll talk with the conductor when I see him. 

Edit: I spoke with the conductor. 'Very pleasant. He said the weather is messing with some of the crossing signals, and it's unlikely we'll make up any time. So, I'll hop off in Fullerton, and see if I can switch my business class ticket to an earlier train, which would give me a 15 minute layover. If not I'll hang out for an extra hour and catch my original train heading south. Fullerton is actually a very busy trainspotting location with heavy BNSF freight heading east and west on their mainline. 

San Clemente Pier 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

@Argonne69 have you ever considered mapping out the courses you have played? I do it myself in google maps and it’s pretty straightforward. Just type in the course and drop a pin. I haven’t played a fraction of the courses you have but I always enjoy adding new courses to the map. I have some buddies that color code courses by year played, their personal ranking, and all sorts of things. 

Maybe you already do this and I just missed it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@Argonne69 have you ever considered mapping out the courses you have played? I do it myself in google maps and it’s pretty straightforward. Just type in the course and drop a pin. I haven’t played a fraction of the courses you have but I always enjoy adding new courses to the map. I have some buddies that color code courses by year played, their personal ranking, and all sorts of things. 

Maybe you already do this and I just missed it. 

I've posted a link to my csv file on several occasions. Not too difficult to import the data into Google Maps. 

Here's the latest update through Desert Willow Golf Resort. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7tlm9hur9pzqsire0ye46/ArgsCourseRatings.csv?rlkey=d05u2uknsbynkdeq454hny236&dl=0

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Enjoyable day riding the rails. The weather could have been better, but then again if it was perfect I would have probably been out on a course. It was a little better on the ride south, so at least I got a few good pics of the ocean near San Clemente. Didn't realize that there's a nuclear reactor along that stretch of beach. Passed within a quarter mile of Torrey Pines, but the tracks are in a low area east of the course with hills blocking the view of the courses. 

Not a whole lotta freight action in Fullerton. Quiet hour with just two BNSF intermodals. Better than zero. 

I overheard several passengers talking about the ride and the scenery. Seems it was their first time riding the Surfliner. I paid $19 for the upgrade to Business Class, and the newly refurbished cars were very nice. The coach cars are still comfortable, but the dark fabric makes you feel like you're in a cave. Still, $31 one-way from SD to LA isn't bad for the 3 hour trip. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/r3k0yas40ctcmlf66njgj/h?rlkey=8ws8wk05s4nu9ipx47k5lwuhs&dl=0

• Like 4

Conveniently located next to Santa Fe Depot is a Stone Brewing taproom. Looks like 33 taps with a decent mix. Enjoying a tasty Gargoyle's Slumber Imperial Stout. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Conveniently located next to Santa Fe Depot is a Stone Brewing taproom. Looks like 33 taps with a decent mix. Enjoying a tasty Gargoyle's Slumber Imperial Stout. 

spacer.png

Stone Brewing - one of my favorites.  Nice!

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50*, New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

spacer.png

Looks pretty empty, is that typical on Amtrak these days? I haven't been on Amtrak since the early 1990s. I just thought about it and can't remember the last time someone told me they used Amtrak as transportation other than commuters in the NYC-Philly-DC corridor and rail buffs taking scenic rides. I'm just a middle class guy but never hear someone say "Yeah we're taking a 700 mile trip and are taking the train instead of driving or flying." 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Looks pretty empty, is that typical on Amtrak these days? I haven't been on Amtrak since the early 1990s. I just thought about it and can't remember the last time someone told me they used Amtrak as transportation other than commuters in the NYC-Philly-DC corridor and rail buffs taking scenic rides. I'm just a middle class guy but never hear someone say "Yeah we're taking a 700 mile trip and are taking the train instead of driving or flying." 

The photo was a midday southbound trip in business class. The morning trip to LA was nearly full. Can't imagine a lot of workers heading south at that time. 

You're right, these days non-Eastern corridor Amtrak caters primarily to budget travelers with no time constraints, and old rail fans taking land cruises. Very few travelers go end to end on the long distance routes. The vast majority of trips are in the 300 to 500 mile range originating and/or ending in areas with no major airports. If you're traveling from North Platte Nebraska to Fort Madison, IA, the train is a better option than driving several hours to Denver or Omaha. 

32 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

Stone Brewing - one of my favorites.  Nice!

I'm glad they were open. Flooding near the train depot has many businesses closed. 

• Like 1

Being under the weather this past weekend, I missed my typical Saturday mole-fest. Stopped at El Huevo Estrellado in Chula Vista. Not the best, but acceptable. Definitely wish restaurants would serve a full chicken breast instead of chopped. Salsa was very tasty. The $6 happy hour margarita was about average. 

spacer.png

On 1/16/2024 at 8:07 PM, Argonne69 said:

Yes, the course hosted the Desert Classic from 2006 through 2008. It was apparently dropped the following year because of the high winds that are common at the course.

What a tragedy it would be for them to have to play in some wind... I for one would hate to watch the tour play anything other than absolutely flawless, 0 wind, 74 degree temperatures, with grandstands that bounce the balls back in bounds for any bad shots :) 

Edited by rooski
  • Like 2

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Bummer. No surprise that my round today at Coronado is a washout. The course is closed after record rains yesterday. The city set a new record for daily rainfall in January, and the 5th rainiest day ever recorded. Streets and homes were flooded. It took me a while to find a way out of the downtown area yesterday with multiple street closures. 

Going to fire up the GolfNow app and see if there's a mid-morning tee time somewhere. I assume it'll be a soggy mess at a lot of courses.