Calling all yippy chippers..

milesgiles

On 11/18/2021 at 3:07 AM, AndersUK said:

The greatest change was to move away from swinging the club head.  I now feel the weight of the whole club and move the whole club (from grip to club head) through the ball.  I can do this is very little shaft lean thus using the bounce or with a lot of lean to get that ball first then divot low shot.

This is a very interesting post.  I've played with this a bit using only trail hand on the club.  Pretty good results.  Seems to eliminate moving pieces and produce very controlled impact position.

For me personally it is a less wristy version of what I was already doing.  But otherwise feels like a very similar outcome of the trail hand only method.

I had the chip yips for about three years. I spent a lot of time at the chipping green trying you name it; right hand only, feel like you’re trying to hook it, keep your hand high, turn your chest, don’t break your wrists, use a putting stroke, use the toe of the club, reverse grip, split grip, eyes closed, eyes on target, no glove, sacrificing a chicken in the rough, it didn’t matter.

Then a guy I don’t normally play golf with says, your swing is super shallow. He tells me all my swings are, and it isn’t bad, it just is, but it means you have to be more precise.

That evening he sent me the Padraig Harrington chipping video and said watch the first ten minutes or so.  Obviously, if your issue isn’t being too shallow it may not help, but I haven’t stubbed or bladed a chip for months after really committing to his practice regimen.

Edited by Petethreeput

Lately I've been practicing chipping with no backswing.  Start with an impact setup with the club at the top of the backswing.  Then just rotate without breaking the wrists, arms, etc.  Gives a good feel of not breaking down. 

Also. I've found that having the ball off the back foot is not a good thing for me.  I do better with the ball in mid stance or even slightly forward.  This may be because I am right handed but left eye dominant.  I have to turn my head to the right aka, Spieth or Nicklaus

32 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I had the chip yips for about three years. I spent a lot of time at the chipping green trying you name it; right hand only, feel like you’re trying to hook it, keep your hand high, turn your chest, don’t break your wrists, use a putting stroke, use the toe of the club, reverse grip, split grip, eyes closed, eyes on target, no glove, sacrificing a chicken in the rough, it didn’t matter.

Then a guy I don’t normally play golf with says, your swing is super shallow. He tells me all my swings are, and it isn’t bad, it just is, but it means you have to be more precise.

That evening he sent me the Padraig Harrington chipping video and said watch the first ten minutes or so.  Obviously, if your issue isn’t being too shallow it may not help, but I haven’t stubbed or bladed a chip for months after really committing to his practice regimen.

interesting, Im always told i have to pick up the club more and that I come too much from the inside (whatever technique I use), but I thought it was a good thing to shallow the arc rather than come in steep and on top of it? I must be misunderstanding something 

When I struggle with chipping, I use this technique to work my way back to decent chipping.  In the longer version, he talks about the 90* turn being more like 45* for better chippers.  I also think there is a bit of the Sieckmann shallowing to this since your sternum points in front of the ball.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

interesting, Im always told i have to pick up the club more and that I come too much from the inside (whatever technique I use), but I thought it was a good thing to shallow the arc rather than come in steep and on top of it? I must be misunderstanding something 

Maybe not. Clearly i was TOO shallow chipping. Everyone has a different malady, and then as Monty says, it eventually becomes a brain issue.  And I cannot remember the instructor who focuses on yips, but he has a successful program.  I am deep in the Rockies so no help out here.

The video may be the wrong fix, it’s hard to say from the front on video, but once I found this video, and the repair drill, I was new person around the greens.

If too shallow is now the issue for you, this may be the cure. At first I was manipulating the club bc I felt so foreign and didn’t see results, but after some time it became much more natural.

Best of luck.  Coming from a guy who whiffed a couple of chips… yep whiffed.

2 hours ago, Haroputt said:

I believe the chipping yips are cause  from players try to get to cute with short chips and try to make a finesse stroke

And their setup is not correct  for short chips and  setup for a long chip

why not  make a putting stroke either with putter or a lower lofted clubs

definitely not.

I think most of us can bump and run something if we keep it as simple as possible, but it will rarely go close, you need some control of the ball (as a guy who plays with people with exceptional short games). Not to mention the numerous times when a bump and run is out of the question.

I don't have the chipping yips (bunkers are a different story), but I wouldn't say it is a strength compared to other parts of the game.  Here are some things that have helped me get better around the greens.

• Make the least athletic move that you have to, resulting in the least complex shot needed to execute a good result.  Often just getting the ball on the green and rolling forward is going to be the best option.  
  • People will go back and forth on how much hand action is needed, but for me my left hand (I play lefty) dictates my distance touch.  It is a similar sensation with my putting.  So I do like to weaken my top (left) hand a little and get it involved in the shot.  Weakening it gives me more confidence I can be aggressive with the strike and still use the bounce if that makes sense
  • Take several practice swings and get an idea where you are bottoming out.   Not only am I not good enough to control where the bottom of my swing is on every shot, I'm certainly not good enough to do it on uneven lies and stances.  To some degree you are going to have to factor in whether you are going high or low, but I like to know where my club is tending to strike the ground on a given stance/lie and make adjustments as needed.
  • Lastly (and for me, most importantly) when visualizing the shot required, make sure you also visualize both the strike and the ball flight.   Everyone's mind is different.  For me, if I just pick a landing spot and try to hit it, my brain somehow envisions the lowest shot imaginable to get there lol.  I often will hit the ball thin when I do this.  But if I literally trace or visualize the entire strike, ball flight, and roll out, I get much better contact.   

Just throwing it out there.  Love the nuances of this game and you never know what is going to click and get you going in the right direction!     Hit em straight

I can chip/pitch 99 out of 100 balls perfectly on the range but 50% of these shots on the course come out thin or get chunked. However, when I do make the right move I almost hole the bl@@dy thing.

I'm taking this to range and hopefully to the course....."Lee Trevino's instruction (for righties) on not letting the shaft appear from behind the left wrist PLUS Monte's thoughts on throwing the ball underhanded sound a little contradictory, but actually not - as long as you are moving the body through the shot both can be true." 

On 11/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, liquorandpoker said:

This is a very interesting post.  I've played with this a bit using only trail hand on the club.  Pretty good results.  Seems to eliminate moving pieces and produce very controlled impact position.

For me personally it is a less wristy version of what I was already doing.  But otherwise feels like a very similar outcome of the trail hand only method.

The trail hand method can work but it is still very important to focus on what you want the club to do.  I got yippy when my attention was on how I wanted parts of the body to move or focused on using parts of the body to control the club.  Instead, focus on the whole club and what you want it to do.  If you want it shallow then move it back shallow, want it steep........etc. The point is - put attention on the club and visualize what you want the club to do and the body starts to sort itself out.

4 hours ago, AndersUK said:

The trail hand method can work but it is still very important to focus on what you want the club to do.  I got yippy when my attention was on how I wanted parts of the body to move or focused on using parts of the body to control the club.  Instead, focus on the whole club and what you want it to do.  If you want it shallow then move it back shallow, want it steep........etc. The point is - put attention on the club and visualize what you want the club to do and the body starts to sort itself out.

I also let the body sort itself out.  I don't actually think about anything other than perhaps impacting the ball.  It's really mostly just feel.  

When I use rear hand only method I arrive at similar impact position as when I attempt yours.  The difference seems to be that mine is more free-wheeling it something, and seems to end up a bit more wristy.

2 hours ago, Chippy8 said:

Close comes from judgment finding touch riding on sound technique which imparts proper spin.  If you don't know how to do that it becomes more hope than skill.    Same applies to chips with more air underneath.  

not sure you are agreeing with me or not, but chips have to spin if you want to get them close. Like I say, I can bump and run with no spin and not flub it, but as soon as i try to check it or get it in the air I'm in trouble. 

I was always instructed to chip with an open stance whether it was a chip and run, a pitch, flop shot, etc..  I had some issues and then the experimenter that I am I decided to try to do the above from a totally closed stance, i.e. right foot back.  Eureka, my short game absolutely improved to the point where it's gone from a very mediocre part of my game to the best.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tgreenwood11 said:

I was always instructed to chip with an open stance whether it was a chip and run, a pitch, flop shot, etc..  I had some issues and then the experimenter that I am I decided to try to do the above from a totally closed stance, i.e. right foot back.  Eureka, my short game absolutely improved to the point where it's gone from a very mediocre part of my game to the best.

Monte is a big proponent of the closed stance to shallow out chip/pitch shots. I try to stay neutral. Open If I'm trying to chop down from thick rough.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a Jumbo Max ultra light large grip on my 8 iron.  I always use an 8 iron when I chip.  Makes a huge difference in chipping.  You have to rotate and it nearly eliminates a flip on all shots from full to chip.  I love chipping with it.  I'm in the process of regripping all my clubs with this grip.  

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 9:10 PM, naj959 said:

Monte is a big proponent of the closed stance to shallow out chip/pitch shots. I try to stay neutral. Open If I'm trying to chop down from thick rough.

as someone who sucks it inside badly when chipping, I tried the closed stance today.. no idea what the theory is but if Monte says it I do it lol 

Edited by milesgiles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 596 said:

I installed a Jumbo Max ultra light large grip on my 8 iron.  I always use an 8 iron when I chip.  Makes a huge difference in chipping.  You have to rotate and it nearly eliminates a flip on all shots from full to chip.  I love chipping with it.  I'm in the process of regripping all my clubs with this grip.  

I've used the JMax XL Ultralights on my chipping clubs. Takes the hands out if the shot. If a bigger putter grip has worked for putting, same principle.

• Like 2

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

2 hours ago, naj959 said:

Shallower angle of attack, easier to use the bounce. Are you by chance sucking it inside and then cutting across?

no, from the inside, which everyone tells me is wrong. I do know its important to shallow the aoa chipping, dont know why standing closed does that but Im happy to believe it..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

no, from the inside, which everyone tells me is wrong. I do know its important to shallow the aoa chipping, dont know why standing closed does that but Im happy to believe it..

If it's working run with it! haha

A friend pointed out to me the importance of tempo which has also helped a ton. I use a 2 count to keep everything moving together with constant acceleration. Monte also says accelerate like a minivan not a Ferrari. I used to get very jerky in the through swing which would create excessive shaft lean and expose the leading edge.

Something to keep in mind.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, milesgiles said:

not sure you are agreeing with me or not, but chips have to spin if you want to get them close. Like I say, I can bump and run with no spin and not flub it, but as soon as i try to check it or get it in the air I'm in trouble. 

I hesitate to disagree with an elite player put spin is surely only needed when overcoming an obstacle such as a bunker. But I’m a links’ golfer mainly. After several long gaps in my 55 years of golf, chipping ( not pitching ) changed from being an great asset to a liability. But, in hindsight my technique, though pro-taught seems faulty now - by bending too much over the ball and going down the grip.

Often using one heavy club can avoid the chip-yips, in my case a 9-iron with a PX 6.0 shaft. But standing only on the front leg, standing tall, baseball grip, adopting a putting-stroke with the shaft held almost vertical and light top hand grip can help. But the heavy club seems to avoid a handsy action. 

I learned this last point from an opponent the other week when he chunked everything by throwing his hands at the ball whilst all other movement was in paralysis. Good luck.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, milesgiles said:

So don't try to check the bump and run. Hit your spot and let it roll. Knowing your "air to ground" ratio is the key to 'putting with loft' and a lot more predictable than depending on spin to get it close.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

3 hours ago, Pastit said:

I hesitate to disagree with an elite player put spin is surely only needed when overcoming an obstacle such as a bunker. But I’m a links’ golfer mainly. After several long gaps in my 55 years of golf, chipping ( not pitching ) changed from being an great asset to a liability. But, in hindsight my technique, though pro-taught seems faulty now - by bending too much over the ball and going down the grip.

Often using one heavy club can avoid the chip-yips, in my case a 9-iron with a PX 6.0 shaft. But standing only on the front leg, standing tall, baseball grip, adopting a putting-stroke with the shaft held almost vertical and light top hand grip can help. But the heavy club seems to avoid a handsy action. 

I learned this last point from an opponent the other week when he chunked everything by throwing his hands at the ball whilst all other movement was in paralysis. Good luck.

Can only speak of the best players Ive played with, they all put at least a little check on even the most straightforward chips. Id say do whatever to get it inside 6 feet, for me the no spin option rarely does that..