Calling all yippy chippers..

milesgiles

I've played with a guy a few times, right hander, that will put his left hand in his pants pocket and chip with just his right UNTIL he gets enough beers in him to drop the second hand in.  He's a low cap.  The chip yips are real.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I've struggled with the chipping yips over the years. At times it has been at the point where I literally couldn't even hit the green from 3 yards away. The best thing I did was just to stop thinking about it (sounds easier than it is I know). 

Basically I just take 2-3 quick practice motions next to the ball and then immediately put my club behind the ball and hit it. It prevents me from having all those negative thoughts pop into my head and has helped dramatically improve my shot game. I went from a 0% up and down ratio to over 75% in the past 6 months. 

28 minutes ago, Chippy8 said:

Finish way too long, and flight way too high, for that length chip from where you are, but you're results are good even for too long a stall-n-flip stroke.     Pitching pennies is won low, not high.     Here's how low your club could have finished even with having a longer green run to the hole than Greg did.     But you do you, just saying, but having dead legs will bite you eventually. 

I can bump and run with a lower lofted club, mostly without duffing it, but Ive found its a very low percentage up and down for me, and obviously useless if there is anything in the way, up a slope etc. 

Im exploring how to at least give it some air without skulling or duffing, and I know if I can do that then lower running shots shouldnt be a problem 

21 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I've struggled with the chipping yips over the years. At times it has been at the point where I literally couldn't even hit the green from 3 yards away. The best thing I did was just to stop thinking about it (sounds easier than it is I know). 

Basically I just take 2-3 quick practice motions next to the ball and then immediately put my club behind the ball and hit it. It prevents me from having all those negative thoughts pop into my head and has helped dramatically improve my shot game. I went from a 0% up and down ratio to over 75% in the past 6 months. 

I found this to work to some extent, certainly on simpler shots.

1 hour ago, Bob Cat said:

I've played with a guy a few times, right hander, that will put his left hand in his pants pocket and chip with just his right UNTIL he gets enough beers in him to drop the second hand in.  He's a low cap.  The chip yips are real.

Similar idea really. Feels like bowling your right hand through the shot. Can he flight the ball doing that though? I can't, id kill people

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I found this to work to some extent, certainly on simpler shots.

Yeah I started doing it because I figured out when I was practicing my short game and hitting shot after shot in quick succession I had no issues making solid contact. So basically I try to simulate that "practice shot" feeling on the course. 

I'm the opposite. Left hand is my weak hand. I've made a ton of improvement feeling like my left side (shoulder, arm and hand) move the club back and through. If I try and use my right it's Scoop city, especially under pressure. Glad you've found something that works. Yips can make you want to quit the game.

Your head and chest go down.  You have no choice but to be yippy.  Nearly all elite short gamers have their chest and head move up at the beginning of the downswing and through impact.  I say nearly all because I’m open to the fact there may be an exception or two, I just can’t think of any. I’m 

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Your head and chest go down.  You have no choice but to be yippy.  Nearly all elite short gamers have their chest and head move up at the beginning of the downswing and through impact.  I say nearly all because I’m open to the fact there may be an exception or two, I just can’t think of any. I’m 

I actually hadnt noticed until I watched the video after I posted it, and thought blimey what am I doing.. definitely going to try and stop that dip next time, but I do like the feel of the split grip

5 hours ago, naj959 said:

I'm the opposite. Left hand is my weak hand. I've made a ton of improvement feeling like my left side (shoulder, arm and hand) move the club back and through. If I try and use my right it's Scoop city, especially under pressure. Glad you've found something that works. Yips can make you want to quit the game.

yeah its a very, very weird part of the game. Ive tried similar to what you say, posting up on the left side, etc, just couldnt make it stick. Showing how Greg Norman does it really isnt very relevant to people like us, he's one of the greatest players outside of the majors ever and I'm pretty sure has never yipped a chip in his life

• Like 1

God how I suffered with chipping yips.  I would hope to get down in 4 from the fringe.  It lasted a long time and frustrated me to no end.  Awful.  And I tried all manner of things to fix it....

One day I played with a college player and their personal coach.  The coach told me to practice chipping with only my trail hand.  And no rolling the wrists and clubface over - use a slap release instead.  

Worked on it a little and it did the trick.  To this day I still actually chip better using only my trail hand.

Good luck to you, you poor unlucky bastxxx!  🤞🤞🤞

17 minutes ago, liquorandpoker said:

God how I suffered with chipping yips.  I would hope to get down in 4 from the fringe.  It lasted a long time and frustrated me to no end.  Awful.  And I tried all manner of things to fix it....

One day I played with a college player and their personal coach.  The coach told me to practice chipping with only my trail hand.  And no rolling the wrists and clubface over - use a slap release instead.  

Worked on it a little and it did the trick.  To this day I still actually chip better using only my trail hand.

Good luck to you, you poor unlucky bastxxx!  🤞🤞🤞

like i say though, I can see that on a bump and run.. but can you get it airborne? 

3 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I can still yip a chipper quite easily

True. Chippers are not so easy as some would like to believe. Some call it cheating, it is far from it and takes practice. But, I do believe it encourages a putting like chip, a good place to start when yipping it.

Edited by Tanner25

11 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

like i say though, I can see that on a bump and run.. but can you get it airborne? 

Yep.  Two easy ways - more lofted club and opening the clubface 

But honestly - if you have the chipping yips you will be grateful for the relief and not worried about how high you launch... 🤣👍

God that s*** is awful

Worst part of my game by far nowadays is chipping.  There's a video on youtube where Phil demonstrates the art of chipping.  I've gotten so desperate that I started to practice and incorporate his chipping philosophy.  It's helped quite a bit.  I still manage to chunk chips every now and again, but not nearly as often as I used to.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My worst chips are the result of me 'throwing my arms' at the ball. A very common bad habit for me, with all the clubs. The ball is struck on the up, towards the ball equator, and burns the worms for 20 yards.

When i engage the brain and get into the correct mode, i keep my lower body very quiet as the club goes back a few feet. Then forward/rotate with my right hip immediately and let the clubhead follow. Hit down on the ball is a mantra for me.

Looks good Miles, it's a mini full swing. The clubhead is on the circumference of the circle and the back of the neck is the center of the circle.

The back of your neck should be pulling back just a little (holding force) to resist the throw so your head isn't pulled (escape force) into the circle. Like twirling a ball on a string, the hand is resisting the pull of the ball and string.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, liquorandpoker said:

In other words you are currently skulling it over the green or laying the sod over it.  Why does it matter how high your skull or beaver pelt are?

I can bump an 8 iron by rotating my whole body through it, and generally not yipping it.. but not many go close. As you make chipping more mechanical, you lose feel I suppose. If I dont get it inside 6 or 8 feet, its likely a bogey, the same as if id just flubbed it anyway lol

This used to be the worst part of my game and like you I chased every technique possible to improve and nothing worked consistently. I would always default to right shoulder/arm dropping and releasing behind the ball.  My chipping and pitching improved considerably when I stopped focusing on technique and positions and concentrated on what I wanted the club to do.  The greatest change was to move away from swinging the club head.  I now feel the weight of the whole club and move the whole club (from grip to club head) through the ball.  I can do this is very little shaft lean thus using the bounce or with a lot of lean to get that ball first then divot low shot.

• Like 1

OP....looks to me that you suck the club way inside on the backswing.  I've been working on eliminating that move by taking the club outside more.   This allows me to come through the ball and keep the face square on the follow through and not turn the face over.  My thought is to get the left arm off my chest.  The left wrist needs to stay flat and not release the club head.  The other thing helping me at this point is to put a tiny hesitation at the top of the back swing.   This stops my "jerk" into the ball.  My backswing is slow, stop and then easy through the ball.  The old saying of "accelerate through the ball" is a death move for me.  Slow tempo!!

41 minutes ago, 596 said:

OP....looks to me that you suck the club way inside on the backswing.  I've been working on eliminating that move by taking the club outside more.   This allows me to come through the ball and keep the face square on the follow through and not turn the face over.  My thought is to get the left arm off my chest.  The left wrist needs to stay flat and not release the club head.  The other thing helping me at this point is to put a tiny hesitation at the top of the back swing.   This stops my "jerk" into the ball.  My backswing is slow, stop and then easy through the ball.  The old saying of "accelerate through the ball" is a death move for me.  Slow tempo!!

ive been told its too inside a lot (when my hands were together) and I agree. I assume I do it to feel I am getting a bigger flat spot at  impact. I'll have another go tomoz 

10 hours ago, AndersUK said:

This used to be the worst part of my game and like you I chased every technique possible to improve and nothing worked consistently. I would always default to right shoulder/arm dropping and releasing behind the ball.  My chipping and pitching improved considerably when I stopped focusing on technique and positions and concentrated on what I wanted the club to do.  The greatest change was to move away from swinging the club head.  I now feel the weight of the whole club and move the whole club (from grip to club head) through the ball.  I can do this is very little shaft lean thus using the bounce or with a lot of lean to get that ball first then divot low shot.

This!

I think a lot of us yippers try and hit the ball with the club head instead of moving the entire club through the strike if that makes sense. Once I understood that the lead arm, shaft, and club head needed to maintain the same relationship to each other, my pitching got much better. I know the active release is very popular in instruction right now but it brings in another variable that yippers are going to struggle with imo.

I use the Jason Day style pitch for 90% of my short game shots. If I have no other option I'll try the release shot but I know my chances of pulling it off are not as high.