2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dr Kwon

zacgolf

10 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

The graphics show the basics of "getting stuck", rings true (especially to me) with driver. Like the key of getting upper arm, elbow straight down vertical at shaft parallel. The freedom to get arms more in front early on while holding "connection" is what I constantly wrestle with.  It's everything, not just hands and arms to do it. It goes back to the active body rotation he advocates.

Yes, it seems to be related to keeping the back to the target a bit longer and keeping the club in the middle of the body.  Moving the club with the body as opposed to the lead arm pull action with the shoulders opening too early.

14 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Yes, it seems to be related to keeping the back to the target a bit longer and keeping the club in the middle of the body.  Moving the club with the body as opposed to the lead arm pull action with the shoulders opening too early.

Yeah agree, my experience suggests it's also how hips are set up to clear lead side. Which then gets back to pressure shifts and bump. Which get back to back swing, hip depth and turn. In short, if I shift and use ground, have decent hip depth, back will stay closed while hands/arms can accelerate away.

Kwon is not saying anything new but he's conveying ideas of motion differently. The notion of lower body commencing transition much earlier on has never received more attention.

When people say" you're swing is too long", a lot of times it really means you waited too long to transition back. Even with good strikers this is a rampant problem. Grooving that impulse to have active lower body transition back much earlier than I'm used to is part of my struggles. Monte talked about this a lot in the past, it really is a gazillion reps and patience to change that. Kwon's drills is more about that than anything to me.

4 hours ago, Nels55 said:

This is what I’ve been struggling with the most. I feel like I have to slow down at the top a lot, which I’m hoping is, as he says, maturing the backswing. 

45 minutes ago, gentles said:

Have been following this thread for most of the 27 pages

for those who are working on this what feels or swing thoughts are you using to map this feel to hitting a ball? 100% easier to make the shifts without a ball like is demonstrated in most of the videos

Not sure if I’m doing it correctly but I need to feel like I’m falling into my lead side a bit before pushing off the lead leg. 

would also be interested to know what feel others are using. 

18 minutes ago, yoose said:

Not sure if I’m doing it correctly but I need to feel like I’m falling into my lead side a bit before pushing off the lead leg. 

would also be interested to know what feel others are using. 

Others feels are useless.  Feels are individual.  You and I can do the same motion and both feel something different.     Can do same motion an hour apart and it can feel different.  Why iteach always says learn proper mechanics and whatever it feels like to you is what it feels like - but that feel can change too.     Tyler posted a video about 3 golfers he gave a lesson to and had them do the same drill (they had different issues with lateral motion so he was working on getting the to be more centered) and each of them felt different things.  

Edited by glk
  • Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

17 minutes ago, glk said:

Others feels are useless.  Feels are individual.  You and I can do the same motion and both feel something different.     Can do same motion an hour apart and it can feel different.  Why iteach always says learn proper mechanics and whatever it feels like to you is what it feels like - but that feel can change too.     Tyler posted a video about 3 golfers he gave a lesson to and had them do the same drill (they had different issues with lateral motion so he was working on getting the to be more centered) and each of them felt different things.  

Does Dan C agree with what Kwan is teaching?

3 minutes ago, PJ1120 said:

Does Dan C agree with what Kwan is teaching?

I don’t know.  Ask him.

• Haha 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

26 minutes ago, glk said:

100% agree with this I'm just looking for ideas to try. Have been working on pressure shift left for almost a year now, on the range I have all the time in the world, can feel the pressure shift, the moment I've got a target (even on the range) I get short and dont shift forward. I understand the concept, intent, etc, just trying to figure out how to map it to a swing with target in play. Thanks

47 minutes ago, glk said:

I get that, but for me sometimes it helps to hear from others because there might be something that I might be doing that I might have noticed unless I focus on it. Most of the times it won't be useful like you said, but sometimes I get something out of it.

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

My rope was delivered yesterday. A couple observations:

1. The rope swing was more difficult than I expected and requires a lot of patience in transition.

2. If you are going to do more than a couple of swings, wear a jacket. It hurts after a while!

if it hurt then you are using your arms too much.    have to make a full turn, really have to make a full turn - get that trail shoulder behind your head.

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

30 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Can anyone sum up Kwon's teaching.... 27 pages is a lot lol or a key video to watch that gets his teaching across well

I saw a video from Brendon and seemed like good stuff...

Well, you know Barf, sometimes you just gotta do the heavy lifting yourself!

BarfLuggage.jpg.84024f56a92ee2183272a916c621b92c.jpg

These are all good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izISyYIfdxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2o2E4Z8bDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCw-RNyn_k

I have found all of the videos I have seen to be useful as I often see the students making the same swing errors that I make...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

My rope was delivered yesterday. A couple observations:

1. The rope swing was more difficult than I expected and requires a lot of patience in transition.

2. If you are going to do more than a couple of swings, wear a jacket. It hurts after a while!

You’re doing it wrong if it hurts. It should just lightly land on your ribs in either side 

Edited by Forged4life

I’ve been working on the shift and turn which is getting my hips turning more in both directions with the swing. I’m really trying to get the shift and turn through the down swing. 

Anyway, I played today and my lower back really got tired and started aching on the back 9. Could it be caused by this new swing I’m trying to build? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong?

(I also did leave raking the last two days for 30-40 minutes each which could be the issue.)

10 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

I’ve been working on the shift and turn which is getting my hips turning more in both directions with the swing. I’m really trying to get the shift and turn through the down swing. 

Anyway, I played today and my lower back really got tired and started aching on the back 9. Could it be caused by this new swing I’m trying to build? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong?

(I also did leave raking the last two days for 30-40 minutes each which could be the issue.)

Most players use mainly arms and hands when swinging.  And they do it for years.  The moment they discover how to pivot they feel sore all over at the beginning.  

17 hours ago, RobertBaron said:

Use your body/ground to swing your arms, don't use your arms/hands to swing the club. 

I happened to come across this vid after I wrote this and while I'm no expert pertaining to Dr Kwon's teachings, I'm pretty sure it's a pretty good visualization of what he's trying to get players to achieve. At least with the backswing. But really the downswing is pretty much just a reverse of this.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZe4sBspBg8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Well, you know Barf, sometimes you just gotta do the heavy lifting yourself!

BarfLuggage.jpg.84024f56a92ee2183272a916c621b92c.jpg

These are all good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izISyYIfdxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2o2E4Z8bDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCw-RNyn_k

I have found all of the videos I have seen to be useful as I often see the students making the same swing errors that I make...

Barf dont look up or you'll get oiled on!

So from all of Kwon's research the best way to more distance is by instructing college girls to hit in their underwear... hmmm ok I'll try it but the guys at the course not gonna like it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

2 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Barf dont look up or you'll get oiled on!

So from all of Kwon's research the best way to more distance is by instructing college girls to hit in their underwear... hmmm ok I'll try it but the guys at the course not gonna like it

Very few golfers that I know will object to seeing college girls in their underwear.  Alas it is not just college girls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7KOpkRaVKA

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

I came on here to post this. I was fine until trying to go hips first then shoulders. Lower right back started to hurt. I have a history of back spasms so we'll see. 

22 hours ago, Duffer Mark said:

More likely doing something wrong.   Kwon’s motion done properly is as back friendly as a golf swing can get.    Without seeing your swing, sounds like early extension or possibly restricting lower body - from past  experience I know both of those can lead to sore lower back as the round progresses.   Video would tell more.

• Like 2

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

27 minutes ago, glk said:

More likely doing something wrong.   Kwon’s motion done properly is as back friendly as a golf swing can get.    Without seeing your swing, sounds like early extension or possibly restricting lower body - from past  experience I know both of those can lead to sore lower back as the round progresses.   Video would tell more.

I agree as I have found the Kwon motion to be back friendly in my case anyway.  I have had lower back problems for many years and had gravitated to an 'arm swing' because any time I tried to use a body driven swing my lower back would bark at me.  So far doing the Kwonification drills and the swing to the best of my ability my back has been good.  I did have one incident where I strained a muscle in my left lower back but I was moving my left hip forward past my lead foot in the downswing which I have since corrected.   A friend whom I golf with fairly often commented today that my swing looks like I am using my legs to get easy power which was encouraging.