2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Question for the other senior citizens of the forum

OnTheBag

1 hour ago, WilliePPQ said:

72 and still walking as much as I can when playing. I have found that going to a "mixed bag" of almost anything that works is right for me. Playing X-forged Callaway irons 8-9-PW. And add in a few loft adjusted Tommy Armour 855 5-6-7. Toss in a couple hybrids from Wilson and Ping and you get the picture. I tend to pick and choose based upon the track we are playing, as we typically play multiple places in a week. Oh yes also try to keep to 12 club max! So maybe mixing in G425's a little bit at a time might work?

One of my regular groups still walks once a week during the summer on a shorter, old layout course.  Other than that, I try to stick to a cart.  Playing 4 or 5 times a week, my hip and knees just won't let me play that often while walking every round.  

A lot of my problem in switching to the GI irons is that I've become a "feel" golfer.  Meaning that I tend to massage the ball into the position I want with little regard to whether I'm hitting a 5i or 7i.  No ego involved at all.  What I noticed today while playing the G425 5i/6i was that the ball tends to jump off the face and I lose the feel.  It was more forgiving on mishits, but I rarely have those.  If nothing else, after 50+ years of steady play, I am consistent.  

This was a good discussion and I appreciate all the feedback.  Hit 'em straight boys and most of all enjoy each day in the sun.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I'm late '70s and will be carried out on my shield.

I stretch and keep the length of swing good. On the range last week quite satisfactory, Wilson 1969 fluid feels + persimmon, no concessions.

And I still carry a 12 club bag.....

Gentlemen, and any non-specific others,

I say this not to be heroic or some sort of role model for the aged. I picked golf as my sport. I play it, not because it is easy, but because it is difficult. And in doing so, I may learn about myself and others. As I anticipated aging I never expected to have an 'opt-out' clause, an easier option with game improvement clubs. I expected to age and have declining powers. I still accept the challenge and I shall continue to play ('play' , because it's a game, and all that 'game' implies). The handicap system takes care of my aging process. My golf bag takes care of my declining physical powers....this year 12 clubs in the bag, on a good day 14. Next year I may be down to 8 or 9....or 3 or 4. It isn't given to me to know, it is given to me to sustain a direction, and with the help of true golfers I can grace the fairways for a few years yet.

God bless all true golfers and I wish you all health and power to enjoy however you play the game in the coming year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:28 PM, ShortGolfer said:

As your swing speed slows down you may want to consider carrying fewer clubs.  As well as changing to softer graphite shafts.  And moving up to closer tees.

But, as long as you play at a decent pace, I doubt anyone cares what clubs you carry.

I've gotten compliments on my Sunday bag from walkers passing by the course on the 9th hole, as I still have enough energy to briskly walk up to the elevated tee box!

Life is a circle, 😂 

Quite a few of us learned with a beginners setup of D, 3w, 3,5,7,9, PW and SW,. And a lot of seniors would be smart to go back to a modern version of that type bag.

I talked a friend into moving up a box. He resisted for a while, but he now uses 12* driver, 5w, 22*,26*,30* hybs, 8,P,S and putter. His gapping is great now, and he’s playing clubs he can elevate easily.

He’s scoring better and enjoying the game again. It was sad watching him try to play a 3w off the deck, or hit a 4 iron over a waste area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I am 68 turning 69 in a month.  One of the best things I did a few years ago was to order a new set of irons with graphite shafts and the longest iron is a 6. My wedges and putter have steel shafts but everything else is graphite. 

• Like 1

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

In 1982-83 I got a set of Ping Eye 2’s (that I still have) and at 70 years old I’ve been playing CB type clubs ever since. I did transition to Steelefiber shafts several years ago and last year to Recoil graphite’s but even as a younger man I figured if a certain club design is easier to hit it made sense to use it. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

4 hours ago, RSinSG said:

In 1982-83 I got a set of Ping Eye 2’s (that I still have) and at 70 years old I’ve been playing CB type clubs ever since. I did transition to Steelefiber shafts several years ago and last year to Recoil graphite’s but even as a younger man I figured if a certain club design is easier to hit it made sense to use it. 

I love my Eye2's.  Play mine at least once a month and more often if possible.  One of the best irons ever made in my opinion.  

• Like 1

Age 67 and happy with my 4 - W MP18 Hi Fli/ SC combo set with Recoil 95 graphites. I have never been happy with hybrids, so have either turned my 3 wood up to 16deg and my 5 wood to 20deg, or dropped the 3 wood and added a 7 wood to the standard 5 wood. 

Edited by Pete O'Tube
  • Like 1

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R

Mizuno ST 190 TS 3 wood Fujikura Atmos 6 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Odyssey DFX Double Wide

On 1/1/2022 at 10:35 PM, Hickory4ever said:

I am almost 68 and have no intention to play GI irons. I play historical clubs (hickory and classic steel) more than 70% of the time and play more than 170 times in a year. I have stayed relatively injury free because I have accepted that swinging slower puts less stress on my body, especially my bad right knee which requires a brace. 

Scoring clubs require feel and forged clubs work best for me. I carry a couple hybrids and a 4-PW (24-48 degrees) set of old Mizuno MP 52’s, a 12degree SIM2 Max driver and 16.5 SIM2 Max 4W when I want to play “modern” equipment. I usually putt with an old Otey Crisman mallet, it works. 

The only place I see a benefit in technology is in the long clubs. For irons, I just want consistency club to club and the last thing I want is a hot face. 

My handicap index has only gone just above 10 in the last five years because of losing length. My short game has improved compensating for part of the loss to father time. Playing over a hundred rounds per year with hickory clubs has turned into the best swing trainer, it has actually made me better which was an unexpected bonus.

With modern equipment, I can still compete from tees up to 6000-6200 yards. I score about the same with my hickories from 5300-5500. The moral of the story, play from the appropriate tees, play within yourself, have fun. 

Rather than getting GI shovels, I would consider making sure your shaft flex is right, for me it is still regular flex. 

You are one of the guys I would say that despite the distance loss knows how to golf his ball and has adjusted his game to fit his swing now

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

1 hour ago, Forged Hack said:

Took my eye 2’s out yesterday and they just plain work. Wedges are super friendly around the green, mid length irons are plenty workable. Great clubs! 

CF6DBC58-CE3B-481F-BD82-628E205FBD2A.jpeg

You are going to love this---- Some time ago I found an orphan Ping Eye 2 PW with a broken shaft on the pile at work. Of course I saved it. In my stash I found a brand new marked Cleveland wedge shaft with a new grip. Think it may have came from some of the stuff Golfsmith dumped out when they were closing. Anyhow put it together some time ago. I had checked the loft at 51*. Any clubs like that I note on a strip of tape what they are for future reference. I hit it and it hit well but had no use at the time for it because I was still gaming my Machogans with a 49* PW. Got put in the wedge bag for something or other. Now recently when switching to the more modern TM irons I needed a gap wedge and plus I had lost distance. I had went through a few in my stash to find the right one. I had also during this modified the bounce on a Cally PM 56* and had fallen in love with that ugly thing. Messing around the shop Thursday I found the Eye2 PW. I had always liked the way it sat and hit. Threw it in the bag and practiced it Thursday and Friday. Fell in love with it for now. Put it into play Saturday in the Shootout glad I did. Hit 2 spectacular shots that spun and stopped inside the leather and I think helped us win. So for now it is in

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

You are one of the guys I would say that despite the distance loss knows how to golf his ball and has adjusted his game to fit his swing now

Agreed.  I would be cautious putting too much on the line against @Hickory4ever.  He is too much like me and you Stu.  Hustlers understand their hustle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Agreed.  I would be cautious putting too much on the line against @Hickory4ever.  He is too much like me and you Stu.  Hustlers understand their hustle.

Exactly You read through my line exactly---- Yep it takes a hustler to know a hustler

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

The steel shafted iron set.  Improved playability by installing lighter weight regulars instead of the Z-Z65's. They do play quite nice, for 25 year old irons.  (Remain suspicious of the hype.)  Have another modernist set with graphite that's played as well.  Switch them up based on whim and fancy, and the "feels" on any given day.  

When one is a bogey golfer of modest abilities, the implements wielded can be changed up without being overly concerned that they'll make much of a difference.  I ride, I walk.  And sure as hell don't carry.  That's what the 3-wheel trolly is for.  

Then again, I'm not a senior citizen quite yet.  Have a few more years to go until I might classify myself as one.  Only 70.5 years of age as I type.  

GN5Lq8YuRGunzPoqgHd7hA.jpg.2255d6eeb2798dbbe765e384f3a9c354.jpg

Isi Nickel Green Dots, Ping Max Driver, a couple of Ping laminates for a nod to the eighties…you my sir have moved up a notch on my list!

• Like 2

Stu, good call on marking that 51 degree eye 2 wedge with tape, saves yet another internet search.

To the OP, here’s what I mean on how the eye 2 wedges are green friendly. Compared to my only other two sets (Titleist Tm and Wilson Staffs) I would dare to say the Ping is game improvement for sure.

9D7FB3F3-E13F-4D3C-8215-BE3BFA982134.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

Thanks guys for the nice comments, would love to get a game in together some time. And Stu, I get immense pleasure taking a couple bucks off a young guy that hits it way by me.

I really don’t think chasing the latest iron technology is going to help any of us old guys turn back the clock. Loft for loft, I only find about a ten percent difference between my 1920’s irons and current players irons as long as shaft length is standard. Swing within yourself and make sure your shafts are not too stiff.

Good advice and agree completely in regards to shaft flex. Some seniors need to accept the fact that too stiff a shaft is doing them a disfavor. Swallow your pride and drop down a flex, perhaps even two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hickory4ever said:

Thanks guys for the nice comments, would love to get a game in together some time. And Stu, I get immense pleasure taking a couple bucks off a young guy that hits it way by me.

I really don’t think chasing the latest iron technology is going to help any of us old guys turn back the clock. Loft for loft, I only find about a ten percent difference between my 1920’s irons and current players irons as long as shaft length is standard. Swing within yourself and make sure your shafts are not too stiff.

Yeah I agree newer technology is not going to help us turn back the clock----- The only reason I am sorta semi modern ( well the irons after all are 8 years old) is because of the shafts. I need the graphite to cushion the nerve issues from a back injury. Now I will admit the lofts are somewhat stronger in relationship to my VIP blades but in all honesty the distances are about the same maybe 2 or 3 yards longer. Now due to the shafts and head design the mid and short irons fly higher. And yes In the past before my injury in April of 2020 I loved being the guy that kicked butt and took names with sorta rusty lead taped old "antique" blades. Yep I would love to tee it up sometime. Heck if my back was not messed up I would pull out some of my hickories. Yep I have dabbled with them some but not enough to honestly call myself a Hickory player. And yes I have to take it easy and swing within myself If I do not I pay for it hours later and sometimes for days afterward

• Like 2

Do I sense a possible "us old guys shootout" at Stu's track someday in the future? What a hoot that would be...2 man better ball pot game with a separate skin game and greenies on the side from the senior tees?...no modern day clubheads allowed with an exception for "titanium trampoline" drivers only?

oh man, us "old hustlers" might show up in droves 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

5 minutes ago, anser85029 said:

Do I sense a possible "us old guys shootout" at Stu's track someday in the future? What a hoot that would be...2 man better ball pot game with a separate skin game and greenies on the side from the senior tees?...no modern day clubheads allowed with an exception for "titanium trampoline" drivers only?

oh man, us "old hustlers" might show up in droves 

That would be a blast.  Oh the stories that could be told and the lies that could be perpetuated.  I'm in.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OnTheBag said:

That would be a blast.  Oh the stories that could be told and the lies that could be perpetuated.  I'm in.  

Lets go for it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forged Hack said:

Stu, good call on marking that 51 degree eye 2 wedge with tape, saves yet another internet search.

To the OP, here’s what I mean on how the eye 2 wedges are green friendly. Compared to my only other two sets (Titleist Tm and Wilson Staffs) I would dare to say the Ping is game improvement for sure.

9D7FB3F3-E13F-4D3C-8215-BE3BFA982134.jpeg

I have my own loft and lie machine plus I have my old school flat plate and club protractor. I check and mark when I put them up for later use because I will forget except for any of my Macgregors which on those I have the specs burned into my brain and all of my Macs are set alike.

• Like 2