Have you tried an electric bike for fun?

platgof

The amazing part is how quiet you are on the bike! Bafang, who makes motors for E bikes has just come out with a new system, the M series that looks really good. From what I read it has a better motion detector to make the transition for pedaling even better, in coordination with power from the motor. Glad I waited for this. 

Edited by platgof
spelling

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

First time to take the ebike out to the course, 10 holes late this afternoon.  This is probably the best money I've ever spent on anything that is golf related.  Petal as much as you want and get a workout or let the ebike carry the load.

BadAss.jpg

• Like 2

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

On 10/31/2022 at 9:54 PM, Wooley12 said:

Yes, hub motor. I was going to get a Rad Rover but before I could pull the trigger the Ancheer appeared  as a surprise gift from my brother. I'd estimate the battery allows for about 25-30 miles. I've built racing motors for motorcycles but moving ions and computer programing are not my skill set. DIY with a hub motor makes sense. The brakes are weak and the front suspension is a joke but both are sufficient. As the Ancheer was a gift, $$ to Fun ratio is infinity. Factory parts and service support doesn't exist. Still working on relearning my riding skills. I needed to make two "Strategic Dismounts" in the first week before the throttle and I got to understanding each other. 😆

singletrack.jpg

Dang, that seat is LOW! My knees would be hitting my chin!. I've considered an ebike but talked myself out of one.  I enjoy my Trek 8000 police model mtb. Used to be a bike cop instructor. 

20220102_105207.jpg

52 minutes ago, QuickFeet said:

First time to take the ebike out to the course, 10 holes late this afternoon.  This is probably the best money I've ever spent on anything that is golf related.  Petal as much as you want and get a workout or let the ebike carry the load.

BadAss.jpg

How does that handle with the bag weight on the left side and not centered? 

The side load is really not an issue; I've not noticed that I'm making any unusual movements to hold a straight line.  Not that I can ride in a straight line anyhow.  The bike does turn to the left a little easier than to the right.  I suppose if you were to ride "hands free" you may have to lean a bit to the right.  LOL, at 67 there's no need to ride like that anymore.

The biggest adjustment is making sure you provide enough clearance to people or objects you pass on your left; benches, ball washers, tree trunks, bridge railings, etc.  It doesn't squeeze through small openings.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

22 hours ago, 596 said:

Dang, that seat is LOW! My knees would be hitting my chin!. I've considered an ebike but talked myself out of one.  I enjoy my Trek 8000 police model mtb. Used to be a bike cop instructor. 

Nice bike. Watched the SPD bike squad move a mob to where they wanted them to be and was impressed. Seat is low for sure. Low seat is preferred for off road as you are on the pedals a lot even when pedaling. They make seat posts that go up and down at the push of a button. For me with my disability, lack of leg strength, the bonus of an eBike is the motor makes up for any loss of efficiency with the low seat. So I keep it low. 

• Like 1

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

17 minutes ago, Wooley12 said:

Nice bike. Watched the SPD bike squad move a mob to where they wanted them to be and was impressed. Seat is low for sure. Low seat is preferred for off road as you are on the pedals a lot even when pedaling. They make seat posts that go up and down at the push of a button. For me with my disability, lack of leg strength, the bonus of an eBike is the motor makes up for any loss of efficiency with the low seat. So I keep it low. 

I set my mtb seat height the same as my road bike.  I'm in Florida so I can get away with that off road.  No steep descents where you need to get behind the seat. I have very long legs and shorter torso so my bikes look weird. Plus I have 2 titanium hips which actually makes riding much easier from a seat to handle bar drop. 

20220408_161618.jpg

Edited by 596

I got the wife and I Cube E-bikes this past Spring. We love them. We keep the assist off until the hill starts winning. The shortest ride we’ve done with our e-bikes was about 15 miles. 

95B3EDC7-86CF-4012-B964-8F0AE2D17B36.jpeg

A96B02C7-7BB3-4D25-B7F2-8DA63C74E1F1.jpeg

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, noodle3872 said:

I got the wife and I Cube E-bikes this past Spring. We love them. We keep the assist off until the hill starts winning. The shortest ride we’ve done with our e-bikes was about 15 miles. 

95B3EDC7-86CF-4012-B964-8F0AE2D17B36.jpeg

A96B02C7-7BB3-4D25-B7F2-8DA63C74E1F1.jpeg

One of things that moved me away from the ebike was the fact that all it would do was make me go faster. We have no hills nearby enough that I would need the assist to get to the top. If it was hilly here I'd consider one.  Don't really need one for golf as I use a Stewart follow cart. 

I need to get a step through like those CUBEs for my wife. My step over height is so tall she can't even try mine. 

The tool needs to fit the job. I live in a vertical world. But sometimes it's all down hill 🙂   Did a 26 miler on my Schwinn last year. Fist two miles are through a tunnel. Ends in my back yard. 

alldownhill.JPG

• Like 2

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

2 hours ago, 596 said:

One of things that moved me away from the ebike was the fact that all it would do was make me go faster. We have no hills nearby enough that I would need the assist to get to the top. If it was hilly here I'd consider one.  Don't really need one for golf as I use a Stewart follow cart. 

2 hours ago, Wooley12 said:

I need to get a step through like those CUBEs for my wife. My step over height is so tall she can't even try mine. 

The tool needs to fit the job. I live in a vertical world. But sometimes it's all down hill 🙂   Did a 26 miler on my Schwinn last year. Fist two miles are through a tunnel. Ends in my back yard. 

alldownhill.JPG

We live on a hillside of the Okanagan Valley that takes 5 minutes in a car at 30 mph to reach  the bottom so when we take off from home, the last stage of the ride is a climb so the assist is so welcome. I and my misguided ego really wanted a full framed bike but the ease of getting on/off with the step through was a no brainer. Plus I’m not getting any younger!

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 4 months later...

Went to Sarasota two weeks ago and they offer an E bike safari at Myakka River State Park. It was a blast and we were so close to alligators that it was frightening. I was able to cruise at 19 mph with ease., they are a blast. If you get a chance do yourself a favor and try this out.

Bag is in overhaul mode

1 hour ago, 596 said:

Ok, you win. Here's the new ebike. Orbea Gain gravel bike.  Rear hub motor that cuts out at 20mph.  3 different watt assists.  Also one of the trails I ride near the house. 

20221203_202503.jpg

20230305_093732.jpg

20230326_095719.jpg

I see why you went e bike!!!  I would pick another trail. Where is this?

Bag is in overhaul mode

Yeah, I didn't pass him. I turned around.  He could have stretched way past the other side of the trail in one lunge.

This is on a trail around Lake Hancock, in Lakeland, FL.  It's about a 25 mile ride.  Lake Hancock has for decades been a gator release area for nuance gators in central FL.  Some days I'll see literally 80 gators. Many of them over 12 feet and many up close and personal.

The other picture is a connected county park on Lake Hancock called Circle B Bar Ranch.  Lots of gators, snakes, bears, bald eagles, wild boar etc. Great place to ride! 

20211226_111054.jpg

On 11/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, 596 said:

20220102_105207.jpg

News flash! Not everyone is tall! 😂

Your seat is definitely high! Surprised there is enough seat post in that frame tube to keep it there. Haha 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 596 said:

I think every bike I've owned I've had to replace the seat post with a longer one and they are all maxed out. My inseam is 36".

Btw that's a medium sized frame.  Much more maneuverable then a larger one when working as a bike cop. 

I feel ya! I’m a 34/36" inseam as well and all my bikes have looked like yours. 

Riding the Weiser River rail to trail. We did the top from New Meadows to Council and back. 35+ miles last May. The trail runs  84 miles. The North end is the most scenic. The Specialized Turbo Vado and Como made it with ease. Our friends on 75 lb. fat tire Rad Power bikes ran out of battery and walked several miles.  We have about 30 miles of trail right here in the Lewis Clark valley and lots of great. trails up around Couer d' Alene Idaho. 

PXL_20220515_191927553.jpg

PXL_20220515_211305073.jpg

-6909998340146235484.jpg

• Like 3

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Buddy of mine was telling me he was gonna buy a bike and start riding it to work as part of a program to lose about 40lbs. It’s about 15 miles each way on a mostly flat paved trail. Told him I thought that was a great idea. So I’m at his place and he tells me he got his bike and told me to come out to the garage to see it. Turns out it was electric and he always uses the assist! I was like huh??? So much for that great cardio I thought he was gonna get! 😂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

Buddy of mine was telling me he was gonna buy a bike and start riding it to work as part of a program to lose about 40lbs. It’s about 15 miles each way on a mostly flat paved trail. Told him I thought that was a great idea. So I’m at his place and he tells me he got his bike and told me to come out to the garage to see it. Turns out it was electric and he always uses the assist! I was like huh??? So much for that great cardio I thought he was gonna get! 😂 

Oh man, I think a big issue is those bikes weigh like 70lbs! “Normal” bike weight like 20-30lbs. 

So, it may be a big deterrent to ever turning off the assist.

Oh I see Trek makes them “only” 40lbs. But is $8,000!

I guess he can just get another no-motor bike. If it’s flat, should be no prob to get started. 

12 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Oh man, I think a big issue is those bikes weigh like 70lbs! “Normal” bike weight like 20-30lbs. 

So, it may be a big deterrent to ever turning off the assist.

Oh I see Trek makes them “only” 40lbs. But is $8,000!

I guess he can just get another no-motor bike. If it’s flat, should be no prob to get started. 

The Orbea Gain gravel ebike is only 26 pounds. Very easy to ride with the watt assist turned off.  You can't feel any resistance when it's off. The motor cuts off at 20mph.  So for a workout I ride at 21 to 23 with the occasional slip to under 20 for a quick recovery with added watts from the motor, then right back over 20.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 596 said:

The Orbea Gain gravel ebike is only 26 pounds. Very easy to ride with the watt assist turned off.  You can't feel any resistance when it's off. The motor cuts off at 20mph.  So for a workout I ride at 21 to 23 with the occasional slip to under 20 for a quick recovery with added watts from the motor, then right back over 20.

Nice, yes, I imagine that, once you get very proficient, you can get some great workouts just like a non-e-bike, especially at 26 lbs. Thats lighter than my bike!

Plus you can do much more exploring and go all over without a car and really enjoy the ride 😊

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 12:56 PM, 596 said:

Yeah, I didn't pass him. I turned around.  He could have stretched way past the other side of the trail in one lunge.

This is on a trail around Lake Hancock, in Lakeland, FL.  It's about a 25 mile ride.  Lake Hancock has for decades been a gator release area for nuance gators in central FL.  Some days I'll see literally 80 gators. Many of them over 12 feet and many up close and personal.

The other picture is a connected county park on Lake Hancock called Circle B Bar Ranch.  Lots of gators, snakes, bears, bald eagles, wild boar etc. Great place to ride! 

20211226_111054.jpg

Nuance gators, like ones with an attitude? No thanks!!

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 3/28/2023 at 11:44 PM, scotee said:

Riding the Weiser River rail to trail. We did the top from New Meadows to Council and back. 35+ miles last May. The trail runs  84 miles. The North end is the most scenic. The Specialized Turbo Vado and Como made it with ease. Our friends on 75 lb. fat tire Rad Power bikes ran out of battery and walked several miles.  We have about 30 miles of trail right here in the Lewis Clark valley and lots of great. trails up around Couer d' Alene Idaho. 

-6909998340146235484.jpg

They should have brought extra batteries. I would think the big tires would handle gravel better like they do sand.

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 3/28/2023 at 11:44 PM, scotee said:

-6909998340146235484.jpg

Your bikes have a 70 mile range that is amazing. Love the scenery!!

• Thanks 1

Bag is in overhaul mode