TM Stealth

MWhack

15 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

I'm still firmly in the camp of a 13.5* Callaway XR16 with either a Flynn shaft...or a UST Recoil 450 F1 flex.  This setup would cost less than a USK TS3 setup...and if I remember correctly the head weight difference is within a few grams.  Nothing else out there is going to give you a 20 yard difference.

BTW...if you're asking these questions now...at 8YO...you're not going to be using a Stealth for the next 4 years when she's 12YO.  You're lying to yourself if you believe that.

Man that's the line I tell my wife every time I had to buy new equipment. ....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Movingday said:

What age do you suggest?

I would suggest no parent ever putting a kid in them until meeting with someone trained in TPI or golf training specific.  In other words, listen to an expert, not a salesman on the internet.  

In most cases with young juniors and female golfers it is a strength problem.  Specifically chest and leg strength.  Unless they have the strength, mobility, stability to swing the sticks faster, you will see very minimal gains.  Once you have the strength, mobility, stability, then these will help.  The only thing these swing protocols are going to do is leave you empty handed in the wallet and a possible injury with your child if they aren't ready for them.

If a parent does decide to put the child in a speed protocol, wait until puberty.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

4 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

I would suggest no parent ever putting a kid in them until meeting with someone trained in TPI or golf training specific.  In other words, listen to an expert, not a salesman on the internet.  

In most cases with young juniors and female golfers it is a strength problem.  Specifically chest and leg strength.  Unless they have the strength, mobility, stability to swing the sticks faster, you will see very minimal gains.  Once you have the strength, mobility, stability, then these will help.  The only thing these swing protocols are going to do is leave you empty handed in the wallet and a possible injury with your child if they aren't ready for them.

If a parent does decide to put the child in a speed protocol, wait until puberty.

Thank you 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Movingday said:

Thank you 

My kid maybe had very minimal gains with speed program over a years period even after puberty.  Once with a TPI certified trainer went from 99 as a PB to 119 as a PB in about a year.

Just now, Movingday said:

PB?

Personal best. 

At 16, I think if he went through a speed program we would see an increase in speed over the next two months because he is now strong enough for them to make a difference.  Issue is, we don't want it messing up his swing, which these programs can.

1 minute ago, heavy_hitter said:

Personal best. 

At 16, I think if he went through a speed program we would see an increase in speed over the next two months because he is now strong enough for them to make a difference.  Issue is, we don't want it messing up his swing, which these programs can.

How often is he working out? Those gains are amazing. 
I just started mine (almost 14 yo) working out 3 days a week, basic Olympic lift and plyo/speed stuff. We also just started with super speed (do super speed on non lifting days.

His biggest issue is distance, he tiny 60 in and 82 lbs, so trying to do anything I can to help. Swing speed is 80. He’s a good player, but just can’t handle the yardage of the elite level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Movingday said:

I just started mine (almost 14 yo) working out 3 days a week, basic Olympic lift and plyo/speed stuff. We also just started with super speed (do super speed on non lifting days.

His biggest issue is distance, he tiny 60 in and 82 lbs, so trying to do anything I can to help. Swing speed is 80. He’s a good player, but just can’t handle the yardage of the elite level. 

My boy started around 14.  Went from one of the shortest to well above average.

He goes 2 to 3 days a week.  Right now generally 3 as he has time.  Concentration has been the power lifts.  Bench, Squat, Dead-lift, Pull-Ups, Leg Press.  Throw in some plyo, rows, and rotational exercises to add stability and mobility.  He does nothing with any type of speed program.

Trust me, I understand that problem.  220 doesn't compete with 280.

5 minutes ago, Movingday said:

I suggest these in excess...and maybe look into GOMAD (Starting Strength).  Yes...I'm serious.

350280_web_Optimum%20Nutrition%20GSW_2LB

marinated-top-round-steak-3060302-hero-0

Best-Juicy-Baked-Chicken-Breast-IMAGE.jp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Movingday said:

What age do you suggest?

Nothing until they are older. Let them play and develop. Joints and growth plates at that age are extremely malleable. Putting them in something too heavy, as speedsticks are essentially designed to do, can be a recipe for major issues. Body weight exercises and natural swinging until they are older and more prepared. When they are 10-12 start looking at overspeed sure but only if they are athletic and have the base strength and balance.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Lol, yeah I have him crushing as much protein as possible. 

I had my boy on protein shakes and creatine.  Some people will say "Creatine is bad."  It is not and had this discussion with the kids pediatrician who is in a senior division of power lifting.  It is a naturally occurring substance in the body.  It will have no long term effects.  

I would suggest you call the TPI guy.  Try to set up a meet where he can evaluate and write out a program for him.  Meet with him maybe once a month or every other month.  Have your kid work out in your home town and send videos to him if there is a question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jj9000 said:

BTW...if you're asking these questions now...at 8YO...you're not going to be using a Stealth for the next 4 years when she's 12YO.  You're lying to yourself if you believe that.

It seems you have not read before comment... we just dont have the choices as you guys in the US have.. here its USKids, OEM or Blind buy Import and wait 4-8 weeks.. 
I will def. not buy another one in the next 3-4 years if it works for her...

5 minutes ago, MWhack said:

It seems you have not read before comment... we just dont have the choices as you guys in the US have.. here its USKids, OEM or Blind buy Import and wait 4-8 weeks.. 

You will be buying one for her in the next 3-4 years.  Guaranteed.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Nothing until they are older. Let them play and develop. Joints and growth plates at that age are extremely malleable. Putting them in something too heavy, as speedsticks are essentially designed to do, can be a recipe for major issues. Body weight exercises and natural swinging until they are older and more prepared. When they are 10-12 start looking at overspeed sure but only if they are athletic and have the base strength and balance.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

My 10 year old is athletic and strong. SS 70. Thoughts on him doing super speed? I think @heavy_hitteris a no here, what about you? 

we have the junior super speed clubs. So they are lighter overall

Edited by Movingday

3 minutes ago, MWhack said:

I read...then commented...and a Stealth is no better than a XR16 for an 8YO at 60MPH.

Sorry...but that's the facts.

You should have the same access we have...eBay and/or Callaway Pre-Owned.

Here...I've even done some legwork for you:

https://tinyurl.com/4rnaxw3w

...and yes...you absolutely will buy another Driver for her in the next 4 years b/c the Stealth at 12* likely won't be a good fit at 12YO like it is at 8YO.

Several of us have tried to help b/c we've already been there and done that.  But...if you're stuck on the Stealth, then go for it.  But...make sure and report back in a year or two with questions about the new Driver that she needs.

• Like 3

Just now, Movingday said:

My 10 year old is athletic and strong. SS 70. Thoughts on him doing super speed? I think @heavy_hitteris a no here, what about you? 

He would see more growth at that age doing the lightest stick only.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Movingday said:

We have been working with a fitness coach since the day my kid turned 7. He’s 9 now, 54” 65lbs 70mph SS. We have been told to stay away from speed sticks, and only do a few reps of the lightest stick if we REALLY wanted to. I’d start with a fitness program and swing sequencing if you are concerned about swing speed. Speed stick has its uses, but probably not at this age when power/swing sequence aren’t even there. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kcct82 said:

We have been working with a fitness coach since the day my kid turned 7. He’s 9 now, 54” 65lbs 70mph SS. We have been told to stay away from speed sticks, and only do a few reps of the lightest stick if we REALLY wanted to. I’d start with a fitness program and swing sequencing if you are concerned about swing speed. Speed stick has its uses, but probably not at this age when power/swing sequence aren’t even there. 

Good info, thanks. 

29 minutes ago, MWhack said:

Most of us have been down this road. I bought 3 drivers and 10+ shafts in the past 3 years when my son was between 6-9 years old. You’re not gonna gain much with a 58-60mph SS, but I understand it’s fun to try. Go ahead and buy a Tsi1 with the stock Aldila Ascent 35 shaft. It’s the softest L flex shaft I’ve ever owned and it should be good for your kid when she gets a little stronger. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Movingday said:

We have the junior speed sticks. We tried them out from around age 7 or so.  Would see some increase in speed, but they seemed to mess with his swing more than anything.  We stopped using them for a long while.  Now age 11, along with some fitness training, we are swinging the lightest speed stick only. 

The whole OEM driver for an 8YO is a rabbit hole.  Many great suggestions for lightweight OEM adult heads (XR16, TSi1) or just get OEM junior drivers (Cobra F9 junior is a great driver).  Or just do what you want. The bottom line is have your junior swing with as much speed as possible while maintaining "reasonable" form.

Edited by wildcatden
  • Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

47 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

I read...then commented...and a Stealth is no better than a XR16 for an 8YO at 60MPH.

Sorry...but that's the facts.

You should have the same access we have...eBay and/or Callaway Pre-Owned.

Here...I've even done some legwork for you:

https://tinyurl.com/4rnaxw3w

...and yes...you absolutely will buy another Driver for her in the next 4 years b/c the Stealth at 12* likely won't be a good fit at 12YO like it is at 8YO.

Several of us have tried to help b/c we've already been there and done that.  But...if you're stuck on the Stealth, then go for it.  But...make sure and report back in a year or two with questions about the new Driver that she needs.

Like I said earlier, dude came to a forum asking for opinions, got those opinions, then said to heck with what you guys said I am going to do what I wanted to anyway. Love these kind of posters....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Personally I am not sold on speed sticks and all of that. I am a bigger fan of body weight calisthenics, power yoga (flexibility is so underrated), and medicine ball work. Build the core athlete first. 

• Like 1