2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 Cobra Forged Tec Irons

ShakeyT

5 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

I haven't had a chance to do so yet but I really am in interested in trying these. I'd also like to put them side by side with the C722 from TE and compare the two against the PXG 0211 DC's I am currently playing.  I would really like to find something with just a touch more distance and a touch more forgiveness.

I have the 0211 and I honestly don't know how the FT-X Can be more forgiving or longer.   Thus the reason they will probably be sold, I ordered them back in March before I planned on getting the 0211.   I will take the wrapper of one just to make sure of what I think will be the case.  I'll put them both on my MEVO to get some numbers.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

58 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I have the 0211 and I honestly don't know how the FT-X Can be more forgiving or longer.   Thus the reason they will probably be sold, I ordered them back in March before I planned on getting the 0211.   I will take the wrapper of one just to make sure of what I think will be the case.  I'll put them both on my MEVO to get some numbers.  

Do you find the 0211's to launch a little lower than normal on low face strikes? I've kind of felt that if you hit about the 2nd groove (which is admittedly not a great they don't provide a ton of help with getting the ball up. If I had a complaint, which I really don't, it would be that I suppose. As for looking for more forgiving and longer.. well I am always looking for more forgiving and longer...lol!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

Do you find the 0211's to launch a little lower than normal on low face strikes? I've kind of felt that if you hit about the 2nd groove (which is admittedly not a great they don't provide a ton of help with getting the ball up. If I had a complaint, which I really don't, it would be that I suppose. As for looking for more forgiving and longer.. well I am always looking for more forgiving and longer...lol!

It's possible that's trend.  I haven't had them that long 2 weeks, and 3 rounds in.  Not that I dont miss low on the face, but when I do I usually attribute it to a poor job so staying in the shot and just happy if the ball is playable 🙂     I haven't really compared them to others in that regard.  But I don't think they are any worst on a low striek than my T300 are. 

• Like 1

Vokey

Got out with FT for first round today. Overall positive. Coming from ZX7, 4-7/8 irons are obviously longer, but also much much much easier to hit. I'm not a poor ball striker, one of my better qualities usually, but don't practice anymore and ZX7 just didn't mesh as well when swing was off. 

higher and straighter ball flight. My only concern is I felt PW and maybe 9 iron didn't have quite distance gain I was expecting, but had some wind on those holes so that may have been tainting results a bit. 

all in all excited to keep the excitement going and adapting better to yardage changes or bending certain irons a bit week to get more common yardages. 

as a side note, FT 4 iron is so easy to hit. Slight side hill lie about 217 out to a thin tough green, was pin high about 5-6 ft off the green. Was a very easy 4 iron to hit

• Like 3

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Hey guys, I've reached out to Cobra Customer Support - these 2022 Forged Tec X and non-X heads are universal bore so they will take taper or parallel.

I think this follows the same progression since 2020 Forged Tec where that was universal bore as well. Just waiting to hear back on one last question - the collar ferrules for these heads or not (if so deep or regular collar).

Hope this helps those who are shafting.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

3 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Hey guys, I've reached out to Cobra Customer Support - these 2022 Forged Tec X and non-X heads are universal bore so they will take taper or parallel.

... I re-shafted my FT's with Steelfiber .355's and used a brass shim cut in half and it works very well and provides a tight fit. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

52 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I re-shafted my FT's with Steelfiber .355's and used a brass shim cut in half and it works very well and provides a tight fit. 

Ah cool. Did you end up using collared ferrules? If so, what depth, if you can recall?

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

On 6/8/2022 at 10:23 AM, SwingBlues said:

Ah cool. Did you end up using collared ferrules? If so, what depth, if you can recall?

... I use the collored ferrules from Golfworks:

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-collared-iron-ferrule/p/ma0300v/

Edited by chisag
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I use the colored ferrules from Golfworks:

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-collared-iron-ferrule/p/ma0300v/

Thanks, thats what I have as well. Yeah, Cobra customer support replied, just standard collared ferrules. They are sending me some, awesome customer service imo.

Out with the TGI 85s and in with the taper TGI 95s 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bmurr7 said:

Man these would look so good if they took "King" off the hosel. Really good lines on them though. Looks aside though I've heard nothing but great things about the performance of these. 

Acetone is your friend

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Got 27 more in today. Overall can say love love love 4-8 irons. Didn't hit 9 or PW enough today, but one thing I can say is for me PW didn't add any distance over my ZX7 PW and they are 2* difference.   Overall I kind of like that, but PW is almost same and 9 I think I'm getting 3-4 yds more. And 5-6 yds more with 7 iron.  Usually 9 through 58 wedge I play a lot of partial shots and don't full swing too often so actually works about well. 

Overall pleased with distance gaps as it was a concern for me before getting them. 

Dumb forgiving. I'd have some toe strike streaks with my ZX7 that would cause a bit of distance loss but nothing bad, similar strikes with these lose almost nothing.  Will say they absolutely hate high strikes though. Did catch 1-2 high today in some fluffy rough and that is where I've experienced the biggest distance loss, but were way high on face. 

Edited by casey_0507
  • Like 2

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

On 6/6/2022 at 2:40 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Were you able to do a comparison yet. If so, I'm very interested to hear what your experience was with them so far.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

Were you able to do a comparison yet. If so, I'm very interested to hear what your experience was with them so far.

Not yet head to head, hopefully this week will get them on the MEVO at the same time.

I have hit several 7 and PW with the X and they are very good, probably about the same distance as the 0211 on course from what I saw.   But I possibly a bit better dispersion.   I stil have the wrapper on evertythign but the 6,7 and P in case I do list them.   One thig I like about the FT-X is that KBS TGI shaft I have in them.  I've always liked KBS shafts, in particular the TGI, so that's a big plus for them.  

But an update, I actually ordered the Lucky 7 Gen 5 promtjion irons last week and those will arrive this week.    I have those coming in SteelFiber which was what I was fit for at PXG.   I have another 10 days on my 0211 to return for credit if I desire, or may sell them here.   

Right now, I can see myself holdng onto the Forged Tec X in addtion to the Gen 5. 

• Like 3

Vokey

Got my FT one lengths in!  Been on vacation so not sure how good my swing will be, but unboxed them, and heading straight to the course. Initial impressions on looks are they look really nice. I have played the F9 one lengths since they were released. Excited to compare the 2 sets.  I can get pictures later of offset comparisons etc if anyone is interested. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Not yet head to head, hopefully this week will get them on the MEVO at the same time.

I have hit several 7 and PW with the X and they are very good, probably about the same distance as the 0211 on course from what I saw.   But I possibly a bit better dispersion.   I stil have the wrapper on evertythign but the 6,7 and P in case I do list them.   One thig I like about the FT-X is that KBS TGI shaft I have in them.  I've always liked KBS shafts, in particular the TGI, so that's a big plus for them.  

But an update, I actually ordered the Lucky 7 Gen 5 promtjion irons last week and those will arrive this week.    I have those coming in SteelFiber which was what I was fit for at PXG.   I have another 10 days on my 0211 to return for credit if I desire, or may sell them here.   

Right now, I can see myself holdng onto the Forged Tec X in addtion to the Gen 5. 

I don't see too many OEMs offer TGI as stock so when Cobra did, it kinda influenced me. I have been a huge fan of the KBS TGI shaft since @dmael recommended them to me for my prior iron set - the TGI 95s taper tips.

The TGIs in my FTX are different, its the TGI 85s parallel tips. Initially I was going to replace them with the taper 95s but I am still thinking. Right now I am at a loss of speed in my golf swing (COVID etc) and based on my PRGR, the 85s seem to have a 1 to 2 MPH edge over the 95s shafted in my JPX921 Hot Metal Pros. However, I so enjoy the smoothness of the 95s. 95s are super, super accurate and 85s seem to be up there but less "smooth".

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

I don't see too many OEMs offer TGI as stock so when Cobra did, it kinda influenced me. I have been a huge fan of the KBS TGI shaft since @dmael recommended them to me for my prior iron set - the TGI 95s taper tips.

The TGIs in my FTX are different, its the TGI 85s parallel tips. Initially I was going to replace them with the taper 95s but I am still thinking. Right now I am at a loss of speed in my golf swing (COVID etc) and based on my PRGR, the 85s seem to have a 1 to 2 MPH edge over the 95s shafted in my JPX921 Hot Metal Pros. However, I so enjoy the smoothness of the 95s. 95s are super, super accurate and 85s seem to be up there but less "smooth".

You are correct on the lack of companies offering them some don’t even as an upcharge.   I wanted them in my original T300 a couple years ago. But had to send tbem directly to KBS after getting them in.  I had gone through a fitting at KBS with them in the Titleist head.   So I was confident I would like them.  

• Like 2

Vokey

On 6/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, jasonTeI3 said:

Anyone request a heavier swingweight in the Forged Tec’s? I asked Cobra and they said they just add a heavier toe weight, which kind of scares me. If I request them at D4 with the C Taper Lites(110g) I’m thinking they would need to add around 4-6 grams.

so I play X100 at plus 1/2", so not apples to apples, but mine straight in no tip weights with midsize tour velvets came in around D7 (build some by me). So they heads are fairly heavy with stock shafts (5g or so over my ZX7). 

I don't think it'd be that big of a deal tbh. 

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Not wanting to thread jack here but I had and interesting development when I went to try out the Forged Tecs. I went to a fitting event this past Friday where several manufacturers were appearing. The forged tecs were at the top of my list expectation wise among a few others. As for the Forged Tecs, I actually did like all 3 in the line very much. I was particularly surprised at the short irons performance in the one lengths. They flew silly high and long. Looks wise they all looked great. Even the X's looked sleek at address to my eye. All that said and as good as they, and they are good... they did not end up being my favorite. I went back yesterday to verify my initial impressions and nothing changed my mind. The club that I was most impressed with and ended up walking away with were the Mizuno 225s with the Project X IO shaft. For me, they were just a tad longer (3-4 yards) than most of the clubs I tried, were more consistent, flew straighter, on par forgiveness wise and had as good a trajectory as anything else. The other clubs I tried were the Mizuno all the 921s, the Forged Tecs (all 3), the Callaway Rogue STs, Apex and Apex DCB, Tour Edge C722, Wilson D9 forged, Srixon Z5 and Z7's. This was really a double surprise for me because the 225's were not really on my radar and most certainly not in the top 4 that I wanted to try. Additionally I really thought I was going to be more prone to liking something with a graphite or lighter steel shaft. Goes to show ya I guess, you never know until you try some stuff out what is going to work the best and this time around it was most definitely the 225s.

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 3

Finally got two rounds in with the FT's. Full disclaimer I was playing at altitude (9k first day and 5k second day), but these aren't touching my 223's. Didn't really seem like a huge distance gain and I think they're mostly messing with my head as they were built shorter than I specified. They appear to be only 1/4" inch over standard when I'm used to playing 3/4". Alas, they were my backup set and I plan on selling them and trying to find another set of 223's. Still love Cobra as a brand though 🙌

*side note - I did shoot 72 on the 5k feet round so can't talk too much sh*t but I'm just so comfortable with my 223's that I just want point and shoot with both sets, vs an adjustment*

On 6/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, jasonTeI3 said:

Anyone request a heavier swingweight in the Forged Tec’s? I asked Cobra and they said they just add a heavier toe weight, which kind of scares me. If I request them at D4 with the C Taper Lites(110g) I’m thinking they would need to add around 4-6 grams.

I just sent an email to cobra customer service and they said toe weight isn't a weight, just a screw to give access to the foam. 

maybe they meant tip weight??

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

1 hour ago, casey_0507 said:

I just sent an email to cobra customer service and they said toe weight isn't a weight, just a screw to give access to the foam. 

maybe they meant tip weight??

The guy 100% told me “toe weight” the conversation revolves around me not wanting a bunch of tip weight when I first called in. 

23 hours ago, jasonTeI3 said:

The guy 100% told me “toe weight” the conversation revolves around me not wanting a bunch of tip weight when I first called in. 

Could just be mixed messages, as I was actually wanting lighter but already they are pretty much 0g in mine. Attached is screenshot of email I received. 

on a side note, they also told me they don't do lightweight heads. These heads are fairly heavy so be aware of over length builds especially with too heavy shafts. 

im actually gonna try some s tapers to see if I can shave a SW point or so off. 

EFAC1FEB-B2F7-427F-A439-5C1DE77E2D0C.jpeg

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

5 hours ago, ShakeyT said:

I've had the FTx in the cart so many times and haven't pulled the trigger, but I was really close.

Then I went out had had 2 really good iron rounds with my Honmas and I'm waffling again. 

2 different clubs, Honmas vs FTX...at the end of the day, it's only money... 🙉🙊🙈

On 6/19/2022 at 7:45 PM, Dpavs said:

Not wanting to thread jack here but I had and interesting development when I went to try out the Forged Tecs. I went to a fitting event this past Friday where several manufacturers were appearing. The forged tecs were at the top of my list expectation wise among a few others. As for the Forged Tecs, I actually did like all 3 in the line very much. I was particularly surprised at the short irons performance in the one lengths. They flew silly high and long. Looks wise they all looked great. Even the X's looked sleek at address to my eye. All that said and as good as they, and they are good... they did not end up being my favorite. I went back yesterday to verify my initial impressions and nothing changed my mind. The club that I was most impressed with and ended up walking away with were the Mizuno 225s with the Project X IO shaft. For me, they were just a tad longer (3-4 yards) than most of the clubs I tried, were more consistent, flew straighter, on par forgiveness wise and had as good a trajectory as anything else. The other clubs I tried were the Mizuno all the 921s, the Forged Tecs (all 3), the Callaway Rogue STs, Apex and Apex DCB, Tour Edge C722, Wilson D9 forged, Srixon Z5 and Z7's. This was really a double surprise for me because the 225's were not really on my radar and most certainly not in the top 4 that I wanted to try. Additionally I really thought I was going to be more prone to liking something with a graphite or lighter steel shaft. Goes to show ya I guess, you never know until you try some stuff out what is going to work the best and this time around it was most definitely the 225s.

I'm curious to read what you thought of the Tour Edge Exotics C722 irons when you tried them.  I have a demo set of them with TT Elevate MPH95 shafts and I played a round with them when I first got them in my shop about 3 weeks ago.  I also played a round of golf last week with one of my customers and he put those C722 irons in his bag for the round to try them out.  Both of us had rather positive impressions of these irons, although I slightly prefer my C721 irons with KBS TGI 80 (stiff) shafts in them, which have been my gamers for a little more than a year.  I hit a few laser shots with the C722s when I took them out, but the smaller size/less offset in the 722s also gave me a few small problems (slightly less than perfect impact punished me more with the 722s than with my C721s).  Feel is great with these irons, and I wouldn't object to gaming the C722s if I didn't already have the C721 irons in my bag.