2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 Cobra Forged Tec Irons

ShakeyT

On 5/18/2022 at 9:23 AM, Cubsfan24 said:

I'd say you're correct about the 2020s. The 2022s have plenty of forgiveness from what I've experienced so far. The ball still flies on mishits. The FTX in the long irons wouldn't be a bad idea if you get the gapping right. 

I can speak on the FTX, they are wildly forgiving. That is A/B’ing against my 425. Feel is great and dispersion is perfect for me. I just listed my stiff set on BST and am needing regular flex…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

It's too bad they got rid of that lefty and replaced him with this Rickie Fowler look-alike 

No way, this guy is way more talented. He is a lefty swinging righty in that video. Plus Matt has his own channel and now puts out way more content than he did with TXG. 

Edited by Paybax
  • Like 1

I got mine today and I immediately hit the range.  Quick review below:

Looks:  For Cobra, these are definitely on the understated side.  They look good when you take the time to look at them, but I don't see them as big head turners.  I think the Mizuno Pro 225s look better.  I compared the vs the ZX7 size-wise when I hit them today, and they are slightly bigger than the ZX7.  That's pretty good since the ZX7 is a player's iron.  I guess if you're going for looks and getting attention, maybe look at the Pro 225s.

Feel:  At first, I didn't like the feel, but then I realized they were all misses.  They just happened to go okay because I was hitting a club with a lower COG than I used to.  Once I started squaring them up, they all felt fine.  I didn't notice a difference in well hit shots between these, ZX7s or amp cell pros.  Misses still felt bad like any other club, but they didn't fly as poorly as they would with a blade.

Confidence:  These are obviously a better fit for me than the player's irons, and I was able to swing more naturally and not manipulatively like I have had to with the blades.  I could still identify total misses on contact feel-wise, but the ball flight was not bad.  

Overall:  I am really happy with these clubs.  I think their understated look may be a little more timeless than some snazzy head-turners, the lower center of gravity helps me a lot as someone whose miss is thin, and their feel on well hit shots is just as good as that of any forging I have hit.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just a quick update. It is just hard for me to imagine clubs more forgiving than the Forged Tec's. Granted I am coming from the MIM Tours (which I find plenty forgiving) but the 5-pw FT's just seem silly forgiving. I took the FT-X 4 iron out of the bag because for me at least it was just too long and the offset is so much greater than the FT 5 iron which is already a little more than my MIM's. I bent my FT 5 iron to 24* so the 19* FT-X 4 iron is basically a 2 iron and maybe why I do not find it much more forgiving than the FT 5 iron. The FT's are also very easy to bend but the FT-X not so much as I had no luck bending it. 

... 3 rounds in now and I have gotten used to the TGi 85's but will re-shaft with some Steelfiber i80s I just like better. I play Steelfiber i95's in my MIM's but when demoing the new T200's they didn't have the i95's and after several swings with the i80's I couldn't really tell any difference. Side by side I am sure I would but just swinging the i80's my timing and feel was as good as the i95's so I ordered a set.

... But back to the FT's. They really want to go high and straight and looong. Pw-8 is about 1/2 a club longer and the rest are about a full club longer than my MIM's so I am still learning distances. I think Cobra is spot on with the thicker heavier goo in the scoring irons compared to the lighter foam in the 7-3 iron heads. I can really go after a shot and just hit it farther with the same trajectory. About a 10mph straight downwind shot yesterday from 185 I hit an 8 iron which is a 5 with my MIM iron. I saw my pard hit a 4 iron from 195 landing about 20 yds short and roll on so I figured hit my 8 iron 10 yds short and roll on.  But that is where the water runs off the green so my 8 iron carried 175 and stopped right after it's pitch mark. Nice to know I can swing as fast as I comfortable can and the ball will just go farther. I am a smooth swinger so it isn't something I do often but nice to know it is there if needed.

... Once I re-shaft and play several more rounds with my Forged Tec's I will see if they are going to kick the MIMs out of the bag. I really didn't think they had a shot but based on performance so far they have a chance. At this point I have nothing negative to add and that is pretty rare for a new set of irons.  

Go get em Sammy!  You striped em! 175 yard 8 iron .... you are amazing!

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

55 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just a quick update. It is just hard for me to imagine clubs more forgiving than the Forged Tec's. Granted I am coming from the MIM Tours (which I find plenty forgiving) but the 5-pw FT's just seem silly forgiving. I took the FT-X 4 iron out of the bag because for me at least it was just too long and the offset is so much greater than the FT 5 iron which is already a little more than my MIM's. I bent my FT 5 iron to 24* so the 19* FT-X 4 iron is basically a 2 iron and maybe why I do not find it much more forgiving than the FT 5 iron. The FT's are also very easy to bend but the FT-X not so much as I had no luck bending it. 

... 3 rounds in now and I have gotten used to the TGi 85's but will re-shaft with some Steelfiber i80s I just like better. I play Steelfiber i95's in my MIM's but when demoing the new T200's they didn't have the i95's and after several swings with the i80's I couldn't really tell any difference. Side by side I am sure I would but just swinging the i80's my timing and feel was as good as the i95's so I ordered a set.

... But back to the FT's. They really want to go high and straight and looong. Pw-8 is about 1/2 a club longer and the rest are about a full club longer than my MIM's so I am still learning distances. I think Cobra is spot on with the thicker heavier goo in the scoring irons compared to the lighter foam in the 7-3 iron heads. I can really go after a shot and just hit it farther with the same trajectory. About a 10mph straight downwind shot yesterday from 185 I hit an 8 iron which is a 5 with my MIM iron. I saw my pard hit a 4 iron from 195 landing about 20 yds short and roll on so I figured hit my 8 iron 10 yds short and roll on.  But that is where the water runs off the green so my 8 iron carried 175 and stopped right after it's pitch mark. Nice to know I can swing as fast as I comfortable can and the ball will just go farther. I am a smooth swinger so it isn't something I do often but nice to know it is there if needed.

... Once I re-shaft and play several more rounds with my Forged Tec's I will see if they are going to kick the MIMs out of the bag. I really didn't think they had a shot but based on performance so far they have a chance. At this point I have nothing negative to add and that is pretty rare for a new set of irons.  

Just a question.  According to their website, the 8 iron is 34*, is that true?  Also the swing weight for graphite is C9.  What is your swing weight with the TGi 85's?

13 minutes ago, sandpounder said:

Just a question.  According to their website, the 8 iron is 34*, is that true?  Also the swing weight for graphite is C9.  What is your swing weight with the TGi 85's?

... My 8i is 35* bent 1* weak. They are .25" long and swing weight at D2. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... My 8i is 35* bent 1* weak. They are .25" long and swing weight at D2. 

I'm playing KBS lite stiff .25" long and sw is D4.  They are extremely forgiving and long as you say.  I also noticed spin was higher than other players distance irons I've tried.  Ball is not rolling out on the green.  It took me a few rounds and a few practice sessions to get used to the lighter shafts and feel, but once I did they feel automatic.  I'm more confident than I've been in a long time.

• Like 2

I got fitted for the first time last weekend. Although I thought I might end up with Stealth irons, the fitter had serious doubt they would work for me (but didn't tell me that). I hit the Stealth first, then P-790, Apex, T200, ZX5, i525 and finally FT. We quickly narrowed it down to the P-790, i525 and FT - then eliminated the i525. I got very similar numbers with the P-790 (DG105 S300) and the FT (C-Taper stiff). I decided that I would only get the 790s if the delivery date was significantly shorter. I absolutely loved the feel of the FT. SS (7i) is 85-88mph, but even when I was getting gassed, I was still hitting the FT >170yrds and straight, and it felt like butter.

Turns out the 790s ETA was August while I would be looking at October for the FT with C-Taper. Good news is we preferred the DG shafts even if I couldn't try them in the FT. It looked like a 60-90days wait, but when the fitter called Cobra (Canada), they said the DG were out of stock with no ETA. We were planning on hard stepping the DG, so ended up ordering the FT with Nippon NS950 (Stiff), hard stepped twice. The shafts are in stock and I should have the FT in a few weeks. 😄 

I just got back to golf last year (played approx. 15 rounds).  However, I only played 1 round /year for the past 16 years. I finally have the bug, and a bit more time so I plan on playing a lot more this year. It was time to replace my 2002 TM racOS with something more modern. I have been reading so much on new clubs, watched every video I could find and went into the fitting with a totally open mind. I thought it was funny to read how some people felt more confident with certain clubs depending on the top line and aesthetics, or how big/small the head was. I thought to myself, "it cannot make that much of a difference".  I was shocked when I looked down at the FT and how slim it looked to me, yet made me feel "this will be easy". I think the FT are some of the most eye-pleasing and performing clubs I have seen and can't want to hit them on the course. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BassRocky said:

I got fitted for the first time last weekend. Although I thought I might end up with Stealth irons, the fitter had serious doubt they would work for me (but didn't tell me that). I hit the Stealth first, then P-790, Apex, T200, ZX5, i525 and finally FT. We quickly narrowed it down to the P-790, i525 and FT - then eliminated the i525. I got very similar numbers with the P-790 (DG105 S300) and the FT (C-Taper stiff). I decided that I would only get the 790s if the delivery date was significantly shorter. I absolutely loved the feel of the FT. SS (7i) is 85-88mph, but even when I was getting gassed, I was still hitting the FT >170yrds and straight, and it felt like butter.

Turns out the 790s ETA was August while I would be looking at October for the FT with C-Taper. Good news is we preferred the DG shafts even if I couldn't try them in the FT. It looked like a 60-90days wait, but when the fitter called Cobra (Canada), they said the DG were out of stock with no ETA. We were planning on hard stepping the DG, so ended up ordering the FT with Nippon NS950 (Stiff), hard stepped twice. The shafts are in stock and I should have the FT in a few weeks. 😄 

I just got back to golf last year (played approx. 15 rounds).  However, I only played 1 round /year for the past 16 years. I finally have the bug, and a bit more time so I plan on playing a lot more this year. It was time to replace my 2002 TM racOS with something more modern. I have been reading so much on new clubs, watched every video I could find and went into the fitting with a totally open mind. I thought it was funny to read how some people felt more confident with certain clubs depending on the top line and aesthetics, or how big/small the head was. I thought to myself, "it cannot make that much of a difference".  I was shocked when I looked down at the FT and how slim it looked to me, yet made me feel "this will be easy". I think the FT are some of the most eye-pleasing and performing clubs I have seen and can't want to hit them on the course. 

Congrats!  Good you opted for the Nippons.  Best shaft out there.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:02 AM, 1puttTUT said:

Yeah he mentions he's a lefty, but he's hitting righty in this video. 

Wasn't trying to ruffle everyone's feathers here, just saying I really liked Matt. I guess I'll have to look for his new channel. 

You're gonna be in for a surprise when you find Matt's channel. He's done tons of videos hitting righty lately. 

Mac and Matt are both lefties and both extremely talented. They're both also annoyingly good playing wrong-handed. Mac does it to test clubs for higher handicappers much like Matt used to on the TXG channel; lately Matt's righty videos have been more focused on technique, sort of learning to play all over again without the lefty muscle memory.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Decided to give one length a try and had a set 6-GW built to my specs (+1/2 long, 2 up, midsize grips).  Played my first round today and am super impressed.  The adjustment was not as bad as I imagined and I even enjoyed chipping with the GW @37.75 inches.  Feel is excellent and better than previous models - muted smooth feel not clickly like other brands.  Was able to hit partial shots, choke down on pitches, etc.  Honeymoon period for sure but first impressions are excellent.  I play to a 7 HCP and am 6'4".  Woods are best part of my game and I struggle with irons.  Hoping this is a long term commitment and not a short term fling.  Can only imagine that the non one length models feel and perform as good too.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lobber said:

Decided to give one length a try and had a set 6-GW built to my specs (+1/2 long, 2 up, midsize grips).  Played my first round today and am super impressed.  The adjustment was not as bad as I imagined and I even enjoyed chipping with the GW @37.75 inches.  Feel is excellent and better than previous models - muted smooth feel not clickly like other brands.  Was able to hit partial shots, choke down on pitches, etc.  Honeymoon period for sure but first impressions are excellent.  I play to a 7 HCP and am 6'4".  Woods are best part of my game and I struggle with irons.  Hoping this is a long term commitment and not a short term fling.  Can only imagine that the non one length models feel and perform as good too.

I did OL for one year and loved them, especially longer short irons. I had gapping issues, 6-4 iron were all basically the same distance so switched back to VL now tho. 

If I was to do it again I would do GW-6 iron in OL and then VL in 5-4 irons. 

2 minutes ago, Paybax said:

I did OL for one year and loved them, especially longer short irons. I had gapping issues, 6-4 iron were all basically the same distance so switched back to VL now tho. 

If I was to do it again I would do GW-6 iron in OL and then VL in 5-4 irons. 

I have a 5 hybrid and a 7 wood.  Works well.  No gapping issues stopping with 6 iron as long as I have my 5 hybrid

On 5/27/2022 at 3:10 PM, BassRocky said:

Shoot I just ordered them with c tapers. I better get on the horn and find out more as I don’t want to wait until October for them.

• Like 1

Just shafted up a set of FT over the weekend with X100 at +1/2". Swingweight came in a bit heavy but hoping to get a couple rounds in this week and will report back

• Like 2

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

A sneakd preview for my WRX peeps!   I likely will have a set of 2022 FT-X with TGI 75 plus 1/4 and 1 up.   With every club except one still in the plastic on the classifieds soon 🙂

B0DF4623-0514-4BEB-BF82-BF9496C6D48C.jpeg

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I haven't had a chance to do so yet but I really am in interested in trying these. I'd also like to put them side by side with the C722 from TE and compare the two against the PXG 0211 DC's I am currently playing.  I would really like to find something with just a touch more distance and a touch more forgiveness.