Odyssey Tri Hot 5k

jjfcpa

Picked up a double wide CH on CPO on sale in Outlet condition for just under $200.  Played 3 rounds with it now, and have to say I really like it.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

I just purchased 34" 5K Triple Wide, I am loving it so far, but have only been putting on PuttOUT mat. 

One thing that is throwing me off is the counter balance. I like a heavier club head, but also use a SS Tour 3.0, along with the 30g plug, it almost makes it so I don't feel the head.
I wish they had heavier head weights then the two 25g ones that it comes with. So this might just take some getting used to.
Love the over all look, and the soft feel when it comes off the face.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aaronpoling said:

I just purchased 34" 5K Triple Wide, I am loving it so far, but have only been putting on PuttOUT mat. 

One thing that is throwing me off is the counter balance. I like a heavier club head, but also use a SS Tour 3.0, along with the 30g plug, it almost makes it so I don't feel the head.
I wish they had heavier head weights then the two 25g ones that it comes with. So this might just take some getting used to.
Love the over all look, and the soft feel when it comes off the face.

I just got a 35" 5K Triple Wide yesterday from CPO.  Very nice looking, bigger than my WH OG double-wide head for sure.

I plan to cut it down to 34" and figure it will lower the swingweight by 8-9 points (assuming keeping the stock pistol grip and butt weight).  At the stock 35", I measured mine at E5.2.  I prefer D6-D9 on my putters so hope it falls in there.  For comparison, a 34" Tri-Hot 5K One that I got as-received only measured at a swingweight of D0.3 (very light, to me).  

6 hours ago, stuman74 said:

I just got a 35" 5K Triple Wide yesterday from CPO.  Very nice looking, bigger than my WH OG double-wide head for sure.

I plan to cut it down to 34" and figure it will lower the swingweight by 8-9 points (assuming keeping the stock pistol grip and butt weight).  At the stock 35", I measured mine at E5.2.  I prefer D6-D9 on my putters so hope it falls in there.  For comparison, a 34" Tri-Hot 5K One that I got as-received only measured at a swingweight of D0.3 (very light, to me).  

I like the look of the Triple Wide, but I am coming from and Evnroll ER3, and it isn’t much bigger then that.

What I am surprised at is that the Triple Wide’s heads are all 365G, with two 25g plugs.

I am tempted to pull the plug out of the shaft, because it is almost too heavy on the butt end with a SS Tour 3.0

cant even imagine what 35” would do to that!

7 hours ago, aaronpoling said:

I like the look of the Triple Wide, but I am coming from and Evnroll ER3, and it isn’t much bigger then that.

What I am surprised at is that the Triple Wide’s heads are all 365G, with two 25g plugs.

I am tempted to pull the plug out of the shaft, because it is almost too heavy on the butt end with a SS Tour 3.0

cant even imagine what 35” would do to that!

The stroke lab shafts are horrible IMO. Whatever they're playing with on Tour can't be what they're selling retail, but those guys have the benefit of a Tour truck to dial in. My Stability shaft runs circles around the Stroke Lab. 

10 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

The stroke lab shafts are horrible IMO. Whatever they're playing with on Tour can't be what they're selling retail, but those guys have the benefit of a Tour truck to dial in. My Stability shaft runs circles around the Stroke Lab. 

I will say that the SL red is better than the original SL black. From what I have read, the SL isn’t really comparable to a stability shaft.

My understanding the SL is more for being able to counter balance the putter.

what Stability shaft are you using? And on what putter?

11 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Not a fan of SL either, however I think many people forget that - unless you're playing 35” or longer - you should probably be increasing the head-weight and/or replacing the stock 30g counter-plug with something lighter.

Some guys on Tour don’t even have a counter-plug installed in their SL shafts at all, and the ones that do use one dial it in (along with the head weight) to their desired weight. 

So even though i still personally prefer steel shafts, I think too many people buy stroke labs OTR and don’t adjust anything. Minor adjustments can make a big difference in feel and distance control with SL in my experience

(Many people also don’t realize that u can order these putters, excluding the Ten for whatever reason, with a steel shaft instead of a SL shaft through Odyssey’s website)

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

On 6/3/2023 at 6:08 AM, snagy2000 said:

LOL. One putter shaft “running circles” around another 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

• Like 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

On 5/8/2023 at 10:19 AM, jls667 said:

I just took advantage of the Callaway Pre-Owned blowout sale and ordered a Tri-Hot 5k 3. I rolled it in the store and loved everything about it but the grip. My favorite grip is the Lamkin Sink-Fit Skinny Pistol but that comes in at 70g. I called Callaway, since I couldn't find the info online, and they said the 5k Pistol grip is 55g. Does that seem right to everyone? I feel like tossing a 70g grip in there would throw off the balance quite a bit.

I do also like the Golf Pride Pro-Only Red Star which is 50g. I could even toss some lead tape under the grip and match at 55g or just let it go at only 5g.

Either way, does the 55g weight for the pistol seem right? I just want to confirm as I've been given wrong info by customer service reps in the past.

Did you by chance pull the grip and weigh it yet?  I have not had a chance to on mine yet, but hope to later this week. 

Typically, the Odyssey pistol grips similar to this were roughly 78g with a 30g butt weight for Stroke Lab versions. 

7 hours ago, stuman74 said:

Did you by chance pull the grip and weigh it yet?  I have not had a chance to on mine yet, but hope to later this week. 

Typically, the Odyssey pistol grips similar to this were roughly 78g with a 30g butt weight for Stroke Lab versions. 

I did not. I've actually been putting pretty well with it and have been happy with the results so I'm not risking changing....yet. I still like the Sink-Fit Skinny Pistol way more but the Odyssey pistol hasn't been off putting, just not my favorite.

That said I did call Callaway a second time a couple weeks ago to double check, and the guy said it was 75g. So I have two different answers, which is partly why I held off since season is underway...I didn't want to mess with it and start putting poorly in case the second guy was wrong.

If you do change it out and weigh it, please let me know. I'd love to confirm the weight before toying around with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jls667 said:

I did not. I've actually been putting pretty well with it and have been happy with the results so I'm not risking changing....yet. I still like the Sink-Fit Skinny Pistol way more but the Odyssey pistol hasn't been off putting, just not my favorite.

That said I did call Callaway a second time a couple weeks ago to double check, and the guy said it was 75g. So I have two different answers, which is partly why I held off since season is underway...I didn't want to mess with it and start putting poorly in case the second guy was wrong.

If you do change it out and weigh it, please let me know. I'd love to confirm the weight before toying around with it.

Ya’ll are overthinking this, put on whatever grip feels best. You’re not gonna “mess up” anything. U guys think all the Odyssey staffers on Tour use the same grip?

All of Odyssey’s stock grips in the past 1-2 years weigh 78grams. If u keep it within 10-15grams or so, u won’t notice a difference - but regardless of the weight difference, you’re not “ruining” or “messing up” anything. But you’re definitely messing up if your staying with a grip that you’re not totally comfortable with

And don’t listen to the customer service reps, i’ve dealt with many of them trying to get simple information/specs like you guys - they’re gonna tell u inaccurate or conflicting information every time

Edited by mjo23
  • Like 2

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

Anyone pull their weights yet?  I wanted to weigh mine to see what they were at from the factory. 

Its just a T15 torx, but it looks like you need to use their stupid tool to pull the weights themselves out, as the weights have a thread in them (and looks like the weights also have a rubber o-ring on them).  They certainly don't come out just by pulling the screws.

https://odyssey.callawaygolf.com/odyssey-accessories/weight-kits/spr5587262.html#product-features

2 hours ago, R_Swanson said:

Anyone pull their weights yet?  I wanted to weigh mine to see what they were at from the factory. 

Its just a T15 torx, but it looks like you need to use their stupid tool to pull the weights themselves out, as the weights have a thread in them (and looks like the weights also have a rubber o-ring on them).  They certainly don't come out just by pulling the screws.

https://odyssey.callawaygolf.com/odyssey-accessories/weight-kits/spr5587262.html#product-features

I pulled the weights on my various Tri-Hot 5K putters as well as a couple Eleven mallets.

The Eleven mallets each had chamfered weights that were 10g ea with no rubber gaskets (despite spec page saying they should be 15g weights).

The 5K Triple Wide and 5K One both had approx 25g weights (no chamfer) and rubber gaskets.

I used a T15 bit and then a very narrow cabinet screw I had to carefully insert into the bore and pull the weights out.

Also, I played my first round today with the Tri-Hot 5K One.  I was concerned that the putter feels too light (measured at D0.3) but I had my lowest putt total ever with 28 (previous was 29).  Sure, I had 4 putts from the fringe/rough but they all got close.  I was very pleasantly surprised how I did with it, especially when I was 20-30 feet out from the pin.

12 hours ago, stuman74 said:

Also, I played my first round today with the Tri-Hot 5K One.  I was concerned that the putter feels too light (measured at D0.3) but I had my lowest putt total ever with 28 (previous was 29).  Sure, I had 4 putts from the fringe/rough but they all got close.  I was very pleasantly surprised how I did with it, especially when I was 20-30 feet out from the pin.

Nice! Yeah at first I was worried about distance control because I read multiple posts of guys struggling with that between the insert and stroke lab shaft but honestly its been a total non-issue for me. I came from the Cleveland HB Premier 3 which basically the same exact putter but between the weighting/MOI and shaft, it's far more stable and better on mishits. Maybe the similarity is why it's been an easy transition but I'm with you on having initial concerns that were quickly alleviated. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 6:36 AM, jls667 said:

I pulled the grip from my 35" triple-wide tonight and cut it down to 34" (tuned out 34 1/8"....close enough).  After measuring the bare shaft pre-cut and assuming 2.0g grip tape, the grip was 74.8g, so right about at that 75g estimate and photo from another post.  I weighed the cut-down putter right after grip install as well.  Here's all the geek numbers:

Original 35" pre-cut:

553.3g total weight, E5.2 (446.1g head/shaft, 30.4g butt wt, 2.0g tape, 74.8g grip)

34 1/8" post-cut:

553.6g total weight , D7.6 (444.4g head/shaft, 30.4g butt wt, 2.0g tape, 74.8g grip, and prob 2g solvent to still flash off)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stuman74 said:

I pulled the grip from my 35" triple-wide tonight and cut it down to 34" (tuned out 34 1/8"....close enough).  After measuring the bare shaft pre-cut and assuming 2.0g grip tape, the grip was 74.8g, so right about at that 75g estimate and photo from another post.  I weighed the cut-down putter right after grip install as well.  Here's all the geek numbers:

Original 35" pre-cut:

553.3g total weight, E5.2 (446.1g head/shaft, 30.4g butt wt, 2.0g tape, 74.8g grip)

34 1/8" post-cut:

553.6g total weight , D7.6 (444.4g head/shaft, 30.4g butt wt, 2.0g tape, 74.8g grip, and prob 2g solvent to still flash off)

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Now I may go ahead and swap that guy out.

Thanks again.

I've got a bunch of pro shop credit at my club, so I plan on ordering a TH 5K double-wide through the pro shop. Can you folks tell me more about your likes/dislikes regarding the Stroke Lab shaft vs the offered "standard" steel shaft? I have NEVER given any consideration to the type of shaft in my putter (until now, potentially).

Also, are all of the 5Ks counter-balanced at the grip end? I've never owned a CB putter. (Those of you struggling with distance control, assuming they're counter-balanced, do you think that's the issue?)

On 5/13/2023 at 7:39 PM, UnderPar18 said:

IMG_6764.jpeg

IMG_6765.jpeg

gorgeous

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

On 6/7/2023 at 9:19 AM, KMeloney said:

I've got a bunch of pro shop credit at my club, so I plan on ordering a TH 5K double-wide through the pro shop. Can you folks tell me more about your likes/dislikes regarding the Stroke Lab shaft vs the offered "standard" steel shaft? I have NEVER given any consideration to the type of shaft in my putter (until now, potentially).

Also, are all of the 5Ks counter-balanced at the grip end? I've never owned a CB putter. (Those of you struggling with distance control, assuming they're counter-balanced, do you think that's the issue?)

All SL shafts have the counterweight in the butt-end, the steel shafts do not. SL is a good shaft, but, in my experience, it can require tweaking the head-weight and/or counterweight to find the right feel; particularly if u play a length <35”.

The SL shaft will be stiffer than the steel, but many people find that their feel/distance control with the steel shaft is better

Also when u order through Odyssey they have a few steel options, stepped 2.0, stepless 3.0, and Toulon (black) stepless 2.0. This isn’t always the case but stepped steel generally has the most “feel” but may not be as stiff as the stepless steel. Many people can’t tell the difference between the two, and find stepless more aesthetically pleasing. I’ve always used a stepped so I can tell the difference when I use stepless, I personally prefer the stepped but that could just be bc i’m more used to it

Edited by mjo23
  • Thanks 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

On 6/7/2023 at 11:09 AM, stuman74 said:

Original 35" pre-cut:

==> 553.3g total weight, E5.2 (446.1g head/shaft, 30.4g butt wt, 2.0g tape, 74.8g grip)

34 1/8" post-cut:

==>553.6g total weight , D7.6 (444.4g head/shaft, 30.4g butt wt, 2.0g tape, 74.8g grip, and prob 2g solvent to still flash off)

On 6/3/2023 at 4:29 AM, stuman74 said:

@stuman74 appreciate your efforts with this post... But! Please help clarify if i've missed some info e.g. changed from one type of putter shaft , to another 
(i've briefly scanned this page & assumed this is a "all things equal" and simply cutting down an existing putter shaft

... or Is there a typo here, w.r.t. the total weights before & after? i.e. how can you cut almost an inch off your putter, and the "after"'s total weight = heavier?

Original 35" pre-cut: ==> 553.3g total weight

34 1/8" post-cut:  ==>553.6g(??) total weight

Edited by JungleJimbo

43 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@stuman74 appreciate your efforts with this post... But! Please help clarify if i've missed some info e.g. changed from one type of putter shaft , to another 
(i've briefly scanned this page & assumed this is a "all things equal" and simply cutting down an existing putter shaft

... or Is there a typo here, w.r.t. the total weights before & after? i.e. how can you cut almost an inch off your putter, and the "after"'s total weight = heavier?

Original 35" pre-cut: ==> 553.3g total weight

34 1/8" post-cut:  ==>553.6g(??) total weight

The last item in my itemized parenthesis section....the grip solvent.  I squirt a fair amount into the grip and then drizzle onto the tape before sliding my grips on.  Most all of it will flash off (evaporate) over time and thus the putter weight will get down to around 552g flat I'd guess.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stuman74 said:

The last item in my itemized parenthesis section....the grip solvent.  I squirt a fair amount into the grip and then drizzle onto the tape before sliding my grips on.  Most all of it will flash off (evaporate) over time and thus the putter weight will get down to around 552g flat I'd guess.

thanks @stuman74.  I would've guessed that 0.75 inch cut off the shaft would reduce the total weight, but you've done the math and checked the weight.... appreciate your effort to clarify.

Edited by JungleJimbo

7 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

thanks @stuman74.  I would've guessed that 0.75 inch cut off the shaft would reduce the total weight, but you've done the math and checked the weight.... appreciate your effort to clarify.

Yes, the bare shaft went down by 1.7g post cut.  So I assume the total after fully drying will be right about that same delta.  I weighed it just minutes after the grip install so I can check back in a week or two to see how much it changes.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:29 PM, stuman74 said:

Do you happen to have comparison pics of the WH OG Double Wide and the TH Triple wide? If not, what is the length and width of the TH Triple Wide? I have the White Hot OG DW and trying to see how much bigger the TriHot Triple Wide is. Thanks!

11 hours ago, KUJayhawk said:

Do you happen to have comparison pics of the WH OG Double Wide and the TH Triple wide? If not, what is the length and width of the TH Triple Wide? I have the White Hot OG DW and trying to see how much bigger the TriHot Triple Wide is. Thanks!

EDIT: Here are the pics I snapped this morning.  With my caliper, I measured the heads as:

DW: 1.768" x 4.011"

TW: 1.878" x 4.405"

image.png.b4ea9e29ccd631f1393f681328cc1cfd.png 

image.png.10e0281711a1fb12de3ce54fd2529ed8.png

image.png.667730b16655087f3e1ca798c35db43d.png

image.png.e610c67576c03dd33d1767a31b79c8ec.png

Edited by stuman74
  • Like 1

Has anyone weighed a bare Tri-Hot 5k One putter head without the shaft?  Either with or without the head weights?  Just going off my own 5K 1, I'm calculating the 34" shaft + head (w/weights) as 431g and just 377g without the head weights for head + shaft (mine came out to 54.1g for the pair, not 50g).  Just seems a little lower than I expect if the head is really 360g per the Odyssey website.

Edited by stuman74

3 hours ago, stuman74 said:

Has anyone weighed a bare Tri-Hot 5k One putter head without the shaft?  Either with or without the head weights?  Just going off my own 5K 1, I'm calculating the 34" shaft + head (w/weights) as 431g and just 377g without the head weights for head + shaft (mine came out to 54.1g for the pair, not 50g).  Just seems a little lower than I expect if the head is really 360g per the Odyssey website.

Are u not including the 78g stock grip + 30gram strokelab counter-plug for some reason? Including that would make it 539grams, which seems like a pretty normal overall weight

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

8 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Are u not including the 78g stock grip + 30gram strokelab counter-plug for some reason? Including that would make it 539grams, which seems like a pretty normal overall weight

Correct.  The overall weight of mine is 538.1g.  Just with a somewhat low D0.3 swingweight, and considering the head has 4g heavier head weight than I'd expect (if the bare cavity head is 310g) something seemed a touch off on the light side.  I have not pulled the grip on the 5K (yet).  All just as-received.

For comparison, my WH OG 1 34" with same stroke lab shaft is 544.3g with D3.1 swingweight.  Spec is also 360g head weight per the website.  I had pulled the DFX grip on it and put on the Odyssey silver/black pistol grip.  That one was 434.2g for the head and bare shaft (head had 2x 14.5g weights, so 1g total lower than spec), 2g tape, 30.4g counterweight, and 77.7g grip).