Odyssey Tri Hot 5k

jjfcpa

Went to the PGA Superstore and had a chance to roll a few with the Odyssey Tri Hot 5k One .  I spent maybe 10-15 minutes rolling short and long putts.  I dropped too many to pass this one up.  I had to buy this thing so I can practice with it tomorrow and use it on the course on Monday.  I'm currently using an Odyssey White Hot OG and the one thing I don't like about it is that I couldn't get it in black.  The one thing I don't like about the Tri Hot was that it didn't have an oversized grip, but nevertheless, the grip felt really good and the balance of the putter was really good.  

Anyone else had a chance to try one?

• Like 1

How does the Trip-Hot compare to the Toulon guys, looking to replace my Odyssey No7 XG Face balanced. Just find after all these years the face balance does not work for me nor fit my putter stroke (I tried to change my stroke fit the putter and doesn't work) love shape of the Las Vegas H4.5 hosel and fits my stroke great, or the Tri-Hot 2 or double wide which I haven't tried.

I tried the 5K “One” at PGASS and was really impressed. Have since tried the entire line but for whatever reason, the “One” works the best for me. I have been waiting on the retail version of the LAB Mezz to come out as I think it could be great but man am I tempted to pull the trigger on this Odyssey. In particular, the stability of the head during the stroke is like nothing else I’ve ever tried. 

I recommend anyone who is in the market to try these putters. They are fantastic IMO.

• Like 1

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

2 hours ago, BombsIntoTheWoods said:

I tried the tri hot and a toulon in a PGASS, to me the tri hot was VERY soft feeling. Like hitting with a marshmallow. The toulon felt nice and had a lot more feel to contact.

So I would guess it is up to you and what type of feel you like.

My PGASS has Chrome Soft balls on the putting green, which certainly feel like marshmallows. As such, I always bring a sleeve of my balls to test putters, which is the Pro V1x...basically the opposite of the Chrome Soft. I find feel, sound, and roll with a new ball, can be very different. 

Also, I've always been a mallet guy, but for whatever reason, I instantly fell for the Tri-Hot 2. I don't know what it is about the putter, but it just suits my eye. One unique thing, probably due to the forward CG, is the putter has a more heavy feeling strike than I'm used to. You can really feel the mass behind the ball. To confirm my gut reaction I did a SAM LAB fitting (after I purchased the putter), and the results were strong for me. In fact, with limited practice time, the results were as good as a face-balanced style putter I normally game.  

Tri-Hot 2: 

image.png.cadd4bef1861137376d1cee60dbf195b.png

Two-Ball Ten:

image.png.c987e339fc3a5675a7d200b37b864d17.png

• Like 2

They're really nice.  I like the Three.  Could see it in the bag someday with a bit less weight in the head, 35".

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

7 hours ago, brick101 said:

The branding on these putters was a mystery to me until I saw a commercial this weekend. 
Good video here.  

I wish Callaway would publish MOI of the white hot OG models. 

I’m not getting John Toulon saying that the 5K Tri-Hot is better than the premium Las Vegas Toulon version? How much MOI has the Las Vegas Toulon Putter have? How much of the centre of the putter face do you have to strike your putts for the 5K to kick in? I thought the new Toulons have changeable weight at the front of the putter or is that for swing weight purposes? So like the Las Vegas for looks at address and sound but the liking the Tri Hot 5K for technology. Decisions, decisions 🤔 

I'm tempted to try the double wide.  But $399 for an Odyssey putter seems steep to me.

• Like 2

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I absolutely love my Double Wide!  I finally feel comfortable over any length of putt.  I've tried the slant neck mallets, full face balanced mallets and traditional blade putters like the Newport but the Double Wide feels like home.  I release the putter so consistently with the DW that at this point it's a little unnerving to be so consistently down my intended line with excellent speed control so early in the season.  I can't wait until the greens are fully recovered from winter and roll even smoother.  The Mizuno OMOI #2 that I have on order has a seriously uphill battle on its hands right out the gate.

Edited by noodle3872
  • Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

A couple rounds in with the Triple Wide and my Sik Flo is on the bench! 
love the feel,  super stable and great on fast or slow greens. I don’t know why but I struggle with the Sik on slower greens. On fast greens , none better.  The Tri-Hot rolls true and pure on either. In the bag. Well done Odyssey!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:14 AM, Mike_C said:

I'm tempted to try the double wide.  But $399 for an Odyssey putter seems steep to me.

We all try to justify purchases based off of resale value, etc. but why is $400 for "an Odyssey" any different than $400 for any other putter? Because it has an insert? Not being a jerk but Taylormade putters are usually $350, basic never changed the design much Cameron's are $400, Ping's typically $280-400 depending on the release, to name a few. I feel like Odyssey offers most of their putters at an affordable range and then use a line like the Tri-hot to push the envelope for their brand and charges $100 for a little bit more premium of a product. 

The only thing I would say Odyssey and Callaway are notorious for putting their products on CPO at deep discounts so waiting a little bit of time to get it at a much cheaper price is usually worth it. Not sure i love the strategy on their end but I'm always up for saving a few bucks lol. 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Yeah, you’ll be able to get the 5k for around $200 on preowned by September. That’s why I have a really hard time paying that much for an odyssey. Same with Toulon. They just don’t hold their value like a Scotty or Swag. Doesn’t change the fact that Odyssey makes amazing putters, especially since white hot came back. 

Edited by MattUtah

11 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

We all try to justify purchases based off of resale value, etc. but why is $400 for "an Odyssey" any different than $400 for any other putter? Because it has an insert? Not being a jerk but Taylormade putters are usually $350, basic never changed the design much Cameron's are $400, Ping's typically $280-400 depending on the release, to name a few. I feel like Odyssey offers most of their putters at an affordable range and then use a line like the Tri-hot to push the envelope for their brand and charges $100 for a little bit more premium of a product. 

The only thing I would say Odyssey and Callaway are notorious for putting their products on CPO at deep discounts so waiting a little bit of time to get it at a much cheaper price is usually worth it. Not sure i love the strategy on their end but I'm always up for saving a few bucks lol. 

Well, I went and bought the double wide today new, didn't want to wait and get one cheaper. Roll on these is amazing.

• Like 2

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

As soon as I can get one on CPO I'll be all over it. Lol. They do feel like a much more premium release than the regular putters but I also start balking over the $300 mark. 

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

On 2/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, jjfcpa said:

Went to the PGA Superstore and had a chance to roll a few with the Odyssey Tri Hot 5k One .  I spent maybe 10-15 minutes rolling short and long putts.  I dropped too many to pass this one up.  I had to buy this thing so I can practice with it tomorrow and use it on the course on Monday.  I'm currently using an Odyssey White Hot OG and the one thing I don't like about it is that I couldn't get it in black.  The one thing I don't like about the Tri Hot was that it didn't have an oversized grip, but nevertheless, the grip felt really good and the balance of the putter was really good.  

Anyone else had a chance to try one?

Rolls the ball fantastic IMOP , the balance feel are perfect.  One of the better off the rack putters I’ve rolled  in the last couple years

it wants to go in the hole 

Edited by drbonesvt
  • Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

10 hours ago, TheBiles said:

That’s the stock “Tri-Hot 5K Pistol.”

I should clarify , who makes this thing?

Feels real good and the hands

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Tried the double wide at the store today, and felt good.  Ended up buying it and taking it to the course to roll a few on the greens.  Seems like it's real consistent as far as distance control.  Real easy to get online also.  I can't wait to try it on some quicker greens.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I owned a white hot og 1 WS (sold it) and now am gaming the Tri-Hot 5k Two. Rolls the ball well, but the feel off the face to me is way different. Doesn't have that same soft feel to me. Anyone else notice a difference in feel or is it in my head?

I tried a couple of Tri-Hot 5k and I thought they felt much different (worse) than the other Odyssey putters in store. I was planning on buying one! I also wasn't a huge fan of the color.

18 minutes ago, Braddles said:

I tried a couple of Tri-Hot 5k and I thought they felt much different (worse) than the other Odyssey putters in store. I was planning on buying one! I also wasn't a huge fan of the color.

Ok, not just me. Also just found a review by a pro on another golf review site and she had distance control issues like i am having, so guess its not just user error. 

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I owned a white hot og 1 WS (sold it) and now am gaming the Tri-Hot 5k Two. Rolls the ball well, but the feel off the face to me is way different. Doesn't have that same soft feel to me. Anyone else notice a difference in feel or is it in my head?

To me the 5k does feel a little firmer than previous Odyssey.  But for me that’s a positive as I always felt previous Odysseys a little mushy.  Absolutely no issues with distance control for me with the 5k.

• Like 1