Odyssey Tri Hot 5k

jjfcpa

13 minutes ago, stuman74 said:

Correct.  The overall weight of mine is 538.1g.  Just with a somewhat low D0.3 swingweight, and considering the head has 4g heavier head weight than I'd expect (if the bare cavity head is 310g) something seemed a touch off on the light side.  I have not pulled the grip on the 5K (yet).  All just as-received.

For comparison, my WH OG 1 34" with same stroke lab shaft is 544.3g with D3.1 swingweight.  Spec is also 360g head weight per the website.  I had pulled the DFX grip on it and put on the Odyssey silver/black pistol grip.  That one was 434.2g for the head and bare shaft (head had 2x 14.5g weights, so 1g total lower than spec), 2g tape, 30.4g counterweight, and 77.7g grip). 

Gotcha. Is the “70 class” red stroke-lab shafts any different or lighter than the previous red SL shaft? Or did they just change up the graphics a bit? Both say 3GEN? Also idk how they factor in hosels/necks in their head-weight specs; if the WH OG 1 and Trihot5k 1 necks are slightly different in terms of height/size, that could explain some of the differenceIMG_1377.jpeg.e2db28d523f47a32441ecad89a83b040.jpegIMG_1376.jpeg.f2aea079bc9a4040cfa6a65bf9744ba0.jpeg

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

16 hours ago, stuman74 said:

EDIT: Here are the pics I snapped this morning.  With my caliper, I measured the heads as:

DW: 1.768" x 4.011"

TW: 1.878" x 4.405"

image.png.b4ea9e29ccd631f1393f681328cc1cfd.png 

image.png.10e0281711a1fb12de3ce54fd2529ed8.png

image.png.667730b16655087f3e1ca798c35db43d.png

image.png.e610c67576c03dd33d1767a31b79c8ec.png

This is perfect. Thank you for doing that. I thought the width looked fairly similar between the two but wasn’t positive. I think I prefer the longer heel to toe length of the triple wide. Do you notice much difference in feel off of the face between the two?  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KUJayhawk said:

This is perfect. Thank you for doing that. I thought the width looked fairly similar between the two but wasn’t positive. I think I prefer the longer heel to toe length of the triple wide. Do you notice much difference in feel off of the face between the two?  

For me, I was hoping the TW would do a little better so far from a distance control standpoint, but maybe some adjustment needed by me.  Or grip change...on my DW I have a Winn Jumbo Lite on it vs the stock Tri-Hot Pistol grip on the TW, so that certainly does influence the feel.  I have not actually gamed the TW yet, my last 3 rounds are with my 5K 1 blade putter and I've had some of my best putting rounds ever, so hard to kick it out of the bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjo23 said:

Gotcha. Is the “70 class” red stroke-lab shafts any different or lighter than the previous red SL shaft? Or did they just change up the graphics a bit? Both say 3GEN? Also idk how they factor in hosels/necks in their head-weight specs; if the WH OG 1 and Trihot5k 1 necks are slightly different in terms of height/size, that could explain some of the differenceIMG_1377.jpeg.e2db28d523f47a32441ecad89a83b040.jpegIMG_1376.jpeg.f2aea079bc9a4040cfa6a65bf9744ba0.jpeg

Thanks.  All of my recent Odyssey putters that have a Stroke Lab shaft are the same red 2022 version (top one) not the 70 class 2023 version.  Which is why it just seems a little odd to me.  For all the 34" straight shaft putters I have, they should be the same, right?

1 hour ago, stuman74 said:

Thanks.  All of my recent Odyssey putters that have a Stroke Lab shaft are the same red 2022 version (top one) not the 70 class 2023 version.  Which is why it just seems a little odd to me.  For all the 34" straight shaft putters I have, they should be the same, right?

Should be the same weight/swing-weight? They should be similar, which I think they are, but not necessarily the exact same. If the TriHot5k #1 has a bigger/smaller hosel than the OG #1, it can result in a slightly different weight and swing weight. Two different grips of the same weight can also effect swing-weight slightly differently depending on how the weight is distributed throughout the grip

It’s unclear to me as to how hosels are factored into total head-weight. Like the Trihot5k DW double-bend version and the Trihot5k DW CH (plumbers neck version) are listed as the same weight. Guarantee they have slightly different swing-weights and overall weights.

If it’s not the same exact model from the same lineup, there will be differences. I don’t think u should worry about the minor discrepancy. Although they’re both #1’s, I’m sure they’re different in certain aspects. Like the Trihot5k #7 is much bigger shape than the OG #7, the TriHot5k DW is considerably longer from heel-to-toe than the OG DW, etc.

• Like 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

19 hours ago, swquintal said:

I have a Tri Hot double wide and didn’t like the original grip and switched it out for a Garsen Ultimate grip and it seems to have thrown the weight all out of wack. Wish I had just stuck with the original grip

I did the same, and regret it. Any tips on those who have switched out with success? 

Any particular grips or weight profiles that have worked?

22 hours ago, swquintal said:

I have a Tri Hot double wide and didn’t like the original grip and switched it out for a Garsen Ultimate grip and it seems to have thrown the weight all out of wack. Wish I had just stuck with the original grip

2 hours ago, kkennedy said:

I did the same, and regret it. Any tips on those who have switched out with success? 

Any particular grips or weight profiles that have worked?

Remember that Odyssey doesn’t adjust weight according to length (they sell weight kits for people to buy and do that themselves). Really the stock setup (360-365g head, 77g grip, 30gram counterplug) is ideal for 35” length, and then there’s a solid chance that you’re gonna want to increase the head-weight and/or reduce the grip weight if your in the 33”-34” range.

But changing the grip isn’t gonna just “throw everything off” unless you put on a very heavy grip without increasing the head weight

• Like 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

On 6/6/2023 at 2:18 PM, Mikee_j said:

So… is the forgiveness and high MOI on the blade Tri Hot a real thing or just more BS marketing hype?

For me it is. I have played blades most my life, but have also tried some mallets. I have always noticed the forgiveness of the mallets but didn't get along with the feel of where the weight in them is. The Tri Hot 5K for me brings the blade look and weighting feel (closer to the face) that I feel most comfortable with, but does actually as it says and matches that forgiveness of a mallet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PureDivots said:

For me it is. I have played blades most my life, but have also tried some mallets. I have always noticed the forgiveness of the mallets but didn't get along with the feel of where the weight in them is. The Tri Hot 5K for me brings the blade look and weighting feel (closer to the face) that I feel most comfortable with, but does actually as it says and matches that forgiveness of a mallet.

Yes. this.

3 hours ago, mjo23 said:

Remember that Odyssey doesn’t adjust weight according to length (they sell weight kits for people to buy and do that themselves). Really the stock setup (360-365g head, 77g grip, 30gram counterplug) is ideal for 35” length, and then there’s a solid chance that you’re gonna want to increase the head-weight and/or reduce the grip weight if your in the 33”-34” range.

But changing the grip isn’t gonna just “throw everything off” unless you put on a very heavy grip without increasing the head weight

Maybe they accidentally pulled out the counterweight plug?  I agree that just changing the grip (assuming grip weights are similar) shouldn't change things drastically.  On my Triple Wide I swapped the stock grip for a SS Pistol GT 2.0 and it only made things better.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

1 hour ago, SheriffBooth said:

Maybe they accidentally pulled out the counterweight plug?  I agree that just changing the grip (assuming grip weights are similar) shouldn't change things drastically.  On my Triple Wide I swapped the stock grip for a SS Pistol GT 2.0 and it only made things better.

Seems pretty unlikely, but that would certainly explain why things would feel out of wack. Although the weight plug is lighter than the grip, it’s gonna have more of an impact on the SW and feel than the grip will - since all that weight is concentrated in the butt end. I think it’s more likely that people just overthink things, and are needlessly nervous to make tweaks, because they have this idea in their head that the stock setup is the “optimal” setup (i used to think this way too). If things feel “out of wack” because of a grip change, it’s probably simply because they aren’t comfortable with whatever grip they put on

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

3 hours ago, SheriffBooth said:

I assume the counterweight is located at the butt of the shaft and I don’t remember seeing it come out when I cut the old grip off. Unless the counterweight sits in there very loosely, there’s no way mine came out. The original tri hot grip weighs 77 grams and the Garsen ultimate grip I put on weighs 50 grams according to Garsens website. So 27 grams lighter grip, would that throw the feel out of wack? 

Made my double wide into an arm lock. 

extended to 37”, used a Superstroke Wristlock grip. Feels great on the carpet at home! Playing Thursday , try it out! 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I have a mini treasure chest of Callaway giftcards saved up and have really been liking the tri-hot Rossie when rolling it at golf shops. I think it may be the double 25g weights in the front but it just feels so dang stable.

I took the plunge today and ordered a "love child" putter between Rahm's and Ricky/Wyndham's. Tri-hot Rossi DB, 37" (tallest they offer), 2 degrees upright, with the Superstroke XL Tour 2.0+ grip. Hoping the extra 3.25" on the grip will allow me to play my hands down further on the grip, with the 2.0 size hopefully taking a lot of the wrist action out of the putt without losing complete feel like I do with a 3.0. We'll see!  

While I did have my personal best today (92...yeah, I suck) I did have 36 putts from the green with my Tri-Hot 5K One (including 3x 3-putts).  My immediate solution?  Ordered up a Tri-Hot 5K Two 😉

I may try out my 5K Triple Wide for my round this Friday for the first time on-course.  I just like the look of these 5K blades a lot though.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, PureDivots said:

Much appreciated. I keep rotating between my custom made blade which i adore because of how it looks and feels, and my Spider. The Spider does give me a noticeable advantage, especially 8ft and in... but the blade is just pure sexyness! 

Might have to spend some time with the Tri-Hot 5k one and see what happens

On 6/19/2023 at 7:57 PM, swquintal said:

I assume the counterweight is located at the butt of the shaft and I don’t remember seeing it come out when I cut the old grip off. Unless the counterweight sits in there very loosely, there’s no way mine came out. The original tri hot grip weighs 77 grams and the Garsen ultimate grip I put on weighs 50 grams according to Garsens website. So 27 grams lighter grip, would that throw the feel out of wack? 

I'm not some expert club builder, but a 27 gram change at the grip end is going to make the head feel heavier I think, maybe like 5 or 6 swingweight points heavier.  From what I've read, every 4 or 5 grams added or subtracted from the grip end is 1 swingweight point.  I replaced my stock grip with a Superstroke Pistol 2.0, which would have been about the same change, so maybe I just like the slightly heavier head feel.

Edited by SheriffBooth
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

So Im late to this party.  I was goofing off in Miles of Golf on Fathers Day and picked up one of these 5k putters (CS model) and immediately loved it.  Im a SBST putter or try to be.  The CS and the triple wide face balanced were just great feeling putters.  I dont change putters all that often and there isnt anything wrong with my current putter (see sig) but wow were these things nice.  Might be a winter pickup for me, not changing mid season.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

2 hours ago, SheriffBooth said:

I'm not some expert club builder, but a 27 gram change at the grip end is going to make the head feel heavier I think, maybe like 5 or 6 swingweight points heavier.  From what I've read, every 4 or 5 grams added or subtracted from the grip end is 1 swingweight point.  I replaced my stock grip with a Superstroke Pistol 2.0, which would have been about the same change, so maybe I just like the slightly heavier head feel.

Yeah that’s what I meant earlier when I said it feels all I it of wack since the grip change. The head certainly feels heavier and sometimes feels hard to make a consistent stroke

Recently center shafted putters have caught my eye and I just got my hands on the Triple Wide Center Shaft. Stock length was 35”, I cut it down to 33.75”, removed the counter weight from the shaft, and put on a pro only green dot grip. Let’s just say I think I found my new putter!  Feel off face is amazing and consistent. 

Stopped by Miles of Golf again lol.  Yeah the CS version of this putter just rolls pure.  Im gonna see if they will let me take it outside on their putting green to try it.  The CS version was more consistent for my feeble skills compared to the face balanced triple wide.  Short putts were great.  

• Like 1

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Nice video, as those two exact models are what I’ve been eyeing hard as of late. Undecided whether I can justify the added expense of the Tri Hot. But currently using a Tri hot 5k one model that has been very nice so far. Coming from the OG one to 5K one there is a different feel for sure. 5K is firmer off the face as others has mentioned. Definitely noticeable. Hard to tell on the forgiveness yet and as I only have like 2 rounds with it so I’m still getting use to new feel and grip. I have settled on I really like crank hosel setups for toe hang and visual appearance. Want to try a mallet with a CH hosel being I’ve played only mallets for a long long time until recently trying the blade style OG and 5K one models. 

The 5K one looks pretty big which is somewhat of a concern. But I played a spider X for years and that ain’t a tiny putter haha

Edited by rodney24

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

9 hours ago, Liveonce said:

Thread has me nervous to try a new grip on my Tri Hot two. Do I just remove the grip like normal and put new one on with the stroke lab shaft?!

Nothing to be nervous about..change the grip as you would with any other putter. The stock grip is 77grams, so just keep the new grip with within 10grams or so of that if you're happy with the stock weighting

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X