Mizuno 223 Reviews

leftycabe

Hey All - The other thread has gotten a bit impossible to get anything out of so I thought I’d start one where we could focus the discussion on the clubs. 

I’m curious to hear what everyone’s experience has been so far. Is there much in the way of forgiveness with these? Are people feeling the difference between the 4-7 and 8-GW with the difference in construction? Drop a review!

• Like 2

223’s are fantastic. I ordered a 4-G set. The only club I don’t love in the set is the gap wedge. I feel like it should go further. Otherwise the long irons are easy to hit, long, and more explosive feeling than the 8-G, however I love the pure forged feeling of the short irons as well. I feel like the distance gaps are on the longer side in the short irons than I prefer, however it’s working out great for me so I’m gonna keep rolling without messing with lofts. Overall love the set, great balance of distance, precision, and forgiveness. Would recommend!

• Thanks 1

The challenge I’m having with them, coming from JPX 921 SEL (that’s the lefty 4/5 Forged, 6-GW Tour blend) is that they’re launching too high. But there are benefits to whatever tech they’re using to get that easy high launch. For example, forgiveness is awesome when you strike one thin — it’ll still get up in the air no problem.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

9 hours ago, COmedic said:

223’s are fantastic. I ordered a 4-G set. The only club I don’t love in the set is the gap wedge. I feel like it should go further. Otherwise the long irons are easy to hit, long, and more explosive feeling than the 8-G, however I love the pure forged feeling of the short irons as well. I feel like the distance gaps are on the longer side in the short irons than I prefer, however it’s working out great for me so I’m gonna keep rolling without messing with lofts. Overall love the set, great balance of distance, precision, and forgiveness. Would recommend!

What kind of distance are you getting out of the GW? Waiting for my set. My current GW 921forged goes about 125-130yards. I was hoping for about the same? What’s the PW go for

There's definitely a difference between the 4-7 and 8-PW in terms of feel, but just like the irons it's pretty progressive. As in the 4 iron feels hotter than the 7 iron, which is what I think you'd be looking for w/ the 223s. The 8-PW are incredibly soft, and the 4-7 are soft but sort of like a "powerful soft" if that makes sense?

I just did a full gapping session and the biggest gap I had was between the 7-8, which is to be expected, but it was 14-15 yards as opposed to 12 yards between the 8-9 or the 7-6. So it's definitely there but manageable.

For reference, even the gapping between the 223s against my X Forged CBs was a progressive gain of yardage, w/ both PWs being the exact same carry (134 yards) and basically working their way up to about a 7-8 yard gain in the 223 4 iron over the XFCB. Exactly what I was looking for.

• Like 3

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

46 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

What kind of distance are you getting out of the GW? Waiting for my set. My current GW 921forged goes about 125-130yards. I was hoping for about the same? What’s the PW go for

I hit the PW a comfortable 130-135, but the same swing with GW is 110, maybe 115 at the top end for me. If I were 120 out I’d love to use GW but would definitely pull PW and take some off.

• Like 1

To me, golf can be very counterintuitive and and at times annoying.  Traded in my graphite shafted Titleist 718 AP1's for steel shafted 223's.

My problem is the pull shot with the 718 AP1's as well as previous upright lie angle, high offset game improvement irons.  If I adjust my swing, stance, grip etc., then I get a push.  Nothing in between.  All the new Mizuno Pro irons have the same flatter lie angle with less offset - check and check to combat pulls.  Also, these MP's seemed lighter to me then previous Mizuno irons.  I intended to order the 225's but ordered the 223's because they felt better (not caring about swing speed or golfing ability). I also ordered the Dynamic Gold 105 steel shafts.  Yes, these irons are heavier but I wanted to slow(?) my down swing to hit a straighter shot.  

Initially, when I first hit these irons, I thought that I had made a mistake - too heavy and poor contact and ball flight.  However, this time the 223's responded very well to my swing adjustments and by the end, I was happy with the results.

But the next day's range session would tell the tale.  Majority of shots were straight and on target with my new consistent swing(?); this was never my experience with my previous graphite irons. I seem to have made a very good choice.  Next up playing golf.  

• Like 1

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, leftycabe said:

Hey All - The other thread has gotten a bit impossible to get anything out of so I thought I’d start one where we could focus the discussion on the clubs. 

I’m curious to hear what everyone’s experience has been so far. Is there much in the way of forgiveness with these? Are people feeling the difference between the 4-7 and 8-GW with the difference in construction? Drop a review!

But those shipping delays 🤣

Thanks for starting the new thread. 

Only two rounds on my set (and tons of basement sim balls) due to weather, but so far loving them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, klbcec said:

What are thoughts with 225 in the 4 and 5 and 223 in 6 thru PW? That's what I ordered.  Mistake?

Currently, play Mizuno MP4 in 7 thru wedge with 585 in the 5 and 4.

My order was similar… 225 4-6, 223 7-GW.  I don’t believe it was a mistake. If you watch the Mizuno videos Voshall did something similar going 223’s and blending in the 225 at the 5 iron.  

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 16.5 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Ping G425 19* Hybrid Ventus HB 8

PXG Gen 5 0311 22* Hybrid Ventus HB

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM9 56* M Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5

Srixon ZStar Diamond

I have been playing the 223s here in Korea for about 6 months now and the mizuno feel is still intact (albeit different from my MP-64s that I had been playing for over 10 years).  What stands out is the distance and forgiveness in this club compared to previous models.  I swing the driver an ave. of 105-108 MPH and if I played the tips, it is normally a tough outing with constant long-mid irons.  I had been testing and borrowing clubs that give more distance but ultimately, I still wanted a classic, compact look from an iron, so that I can work the ball as well.  The 223 is exactly what I was trying to find and I am very happy with this decision.  

• Like 2

[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 14.5* Kuro Kage XM 70 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 Hybrid 19* Tour 85 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]i200 4, iblade 5~PW Steelfiber i95R or [color=#800000][b]Srixon[/b][/color] z565 4~6, z765 7~AW Steelfiber i95S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, Glide 58ES
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Ketsch Heavy 34 Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0 Countercore
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Hoofer 14

11 hours ago, klbcec said:

What are thoughts with 225 in the 4 and 5 and 223 in 6 thru PW? That's what I ordered.  Mistake?

Currently, play Mizuno MP4 in 7 thru wedge with 585 in the 5 and 4.

personally I wouldnt do this, the 223's give most people all they need in middle and long irons, and with better land angles. thats where the set shines the most. if its not too late, id return the 225's for a refund and get the 223's

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

23 hours ago, COmedic said:

I hit the PW a comfortable 130-135, but the same swing with GW is 110, maybe 115 at the top end for me. If I were 120 out I’d love to use GW but would definitely pull PW and take some off.

I ordered my set with the GW 1° strong. I haven't played enough to see how much of a difference it will make, but I'm glad the fitter went over all the lofts and we discussed my sw/lw so we had a plan to attempt at reasonable gapping.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1puttTUT said:

I ordered my set with the GW 1° strong. I haven't played enough to see how much of a difference it will make, but I'm glad the fitter went over all the lofts and we discussed my sw/lw so we had a plan to attempt at reasonable gapping.

I made my existing GW 2 degrees weaker (turning it into a strong SW) to accommodate this set

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

I also posted this one on the big Mizuno Pro 221/223/225 thread. 

If you look at my activity I have tons of picture and reviews posted on all the sets between. Pages 63 and 70… hope this helps: 

I did a comparison of the 221 and 225. Also look on page 66 - I included pictures of each the 221 - 223 - 225 side by side. 

The 225 short irons are very capable and can do what ever you ask them to do. They are not hot, but feel rather dense compared to the 223 and 221 short irons. You will be fine with them if you want to do that. 

The feel of the 221 irons is unlike many irons you will ever hit, so soft. 

I did not notice a huge difference in forgiveness between the two, but the accuracy of the 221 short irons is superior to the 225 if you are a decent ball striker, especially on 3/4 and 1/2 shots. there is a bigger difference in ease of use in the 4-5-6 irons - I mean huge. 

I play a lot of knock down shots, so any forged iron is going to play better for me and arguably be more forgiving than any iron with a hollow body b/c it will have more spin on those flighted down shots and lower probability of a hot faced iron taking off and going to far. 

my combo set with these is going to be similar to the 223 make up 

225 in 4-5-6-7-8 iron 

221 in 8-9-P- G(223) 

then I carry a 56 and 60 wedge. 

this set up also provided 4* vs 5* gaps on the short irons .

the 8 iron in 225 is 34*, it’s 38* in 221, so an easy blend with no bending or loft adjustment required. You can also do the same at the 6 iron or 7 iron. These sets were made to be blended if you just double up at the blending club. 

I have tested the gapping - it is perfect,  about 10-12 yards. 

• Like 1

Came to the 223s from Titleist T100s and am not looking back.  I also dropped from stiff shafts to NS Pro 105Rs and am absolutely crushing my shots.  For the record, I’m almost 65.  When I took them to the range with the SC300i to test yardages, my jaw dropped. 5I was bouncing off the 200 yard sign. 6I 180 yards?  PW 140?  All right down the pipe and they feel great.  

I’ve replaced my SM8s with new T20 blue ion wedges in 50/56/60, but haven’t had them out for the initial test drive yet.  They literally showed up yesterday on the porch.

Yeah, I’m happy with the change!

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS driver

Srixon ZX 3 & 7 fairway woods

Epon AF-302 irons 5-PW

Fourteen DJ-5 50*/54* wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sun Mountain mid-stripe stand bag

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 4/9/2022 at 10:21 PM, COmedic said:

That is cool that they come with a gap wedge option.  My MP20 MMCs don't, and I struggle with finding a good matching consistent 50 degree gap wedge.  Maybe I should try a T20/T22 in 50.  I have a set of MB21s and I love the 8/9/PW in that set. So crisp!  

I would love a set of 223s if I could get fit for the right shaft

On 4/10/2022 at 8:20 AM, kwainio said:

There's definitely a difference between the 4-7 and 8-PW in terms of feel, but just like the irons it's pretty progressive. As in the 4 iron feels hotter than the 7 iron, which is what I think you'd be looking for w/ the 223s. The 8-PW are incredibly soft, and the 4-7 are soft but sort of like a "powerful soft" if that makes sense?

I just did a full gapping session and the biggest gap I had was between the 7-8, which is to be expected, but it was 14-15 yards as opposed to 12 yards between the 8-9 or the 7-6. So it's definitely there but manageable.

For reference, even the gapping between the 223s against my X Forged CBs was a progressive gain of yardage, w/ both PWs being the exact same carry (134 yards) and basically working their way up to about a 7-8 yard gain in the 223 4 iron over the XFCB. Exactly what I was looking for.

How does your gapping fall?   My MMC full swing averages are PW: 134-142; 9: 145-155, 8: 162-172  7: 170-180, 6: 180-193. 5: 193-210. 4: 207-220

I feel like I have a good spread, almost too much in the short irons at times. For whatever reason, I need to really focus on taking a lot off with that 9-iron to hit 140/145; I can flush it 160 if I make a really good swing, even choked down an inch.  I wouldn't mind an extra 5 yards from my 6 iron and 5 iron so that I could perhaps drop the 4 iron. and work in a 5 wood.  I have a massive gap between my 3-wood carry and 3-hybrid carry (40 yards).  

What would be interesting is a 223 set of 

PW-47

9-43.5

8-40

7-36.5

6-32

5-27

4-22

to keep it tighter at the top while still having the added distance in the longer irons.  I personally love having a weak PW and 9 iron in the bag.  In the longer irons, there is already a lot of variance: I can hit my 6 180 if thin or even 200 if I get all of it.  That is on me and is a trade off I would make for those tighter short iron specs, especially as I play a shorter "precision" course where you only pull out irons not 9-60 degree wedge on back tee par 3's and a 2 of the par 5s (excluding the 7-iron punch shot of course, a shot I am getting very familiar with)

You definitely get a bit more out of your short irons than I do. I actually took my 5 wood out of my bag and put a 3 hybrid in because I had such a big gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood. But if you're looking for a bit more pop in the long irons and a similar feel in the short irons coming from the MMCs the 223s will be pretty great for you.

Played my first round of the year yesterday w/ my 223s and was really happy that my carry yardages were bang on from my gapping session.

50* - 120-122

PW - 132-135

9 - 145-147

8 - 158-160

7 - 172-174

6 - 185ish

5 - 195ish

4 - 205ish

3h - 220-225ish

• Like 1

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

2 hours ago, kwainio said:

You definitely get a bit more out of your short irons than I do. I actually took my 5 wood out of my bag and put a 3 hybrid in because I had such a big gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood. But if you're looking for a bit more pop in the long irons and a similar feel in the short irons coming from the MMCs the 223s will be pretty great for you.

Played my first round of the year yesterday w/ my 223s and was really happy that my carry yardages were bang on from my gapping session.

50* - 120-122

PW - 132-135

9 - 145-147

8 - 158-160

7 - 172-174

6 - 185ish

5 - 195ish

4 - 205ish

3h - 220-225ish

Solid numbers!  If it weren't so dang windy every day this time of year, I might have some consistent numbers too.  Seems like I am always trying to guess whether I am hitting into or away from a 20mph breeze or a 35mph gust. If I wait 15 seconds, it usually shifts again

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Came to the 223s from Titleist T100s and am not looking back.  I also dropped from stiff shafts to NS Pro 105Rs and am absolutely crushing my shots.  For the record, I’m almost 65.  When I took them to the range with the SC300i to test yardages, my jaw dropped. 5I was bouncing off the 200 yard sign. 6I 180 yards?  PW 140?  All right down the pipe and they feel great.  

I’ve replaced my SM8s with new T20 blue ion wedges in 50/56/60, but haven’t had them out for the initial test drive yet.  They literally showed up yesterday on the porch.

Yeah, I’m happy with the change!

Can you expand on the differences you found between 223s n T100-S?  

Was it throughout the set or a portion of it? TIA

3 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Can you expand on the differences you found between 223s n T100-S?  

Was it throughout the set or a portion of it? TIA

In general, I found the T100s and stiff shafts beyond my physical swing capabilities.  I had many frustrating rounds where I couldn’t make them do what I pictured in my mind.  On the rare occasions where I got them right, they were awesome.  Same with the Vokeys.  The Mizuno T-20s got played today and I’ll probably never use my SM8s again.  LW was intuitive swing for me.  Lay the face open, swing and the ball popped nearly straight up and forward with barely a bounce on landing.  

YMMV, no warranty expressed or implied.  Not valid in CA.  🙂

• Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS driver

Srixon ZX 3 & 7 fairway woods

Epon AF-302 irons 5-PW

Fourteen DJ-5 50*/54* wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sun Mountain mid-stripe stand bag

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

In general, I found the T100s and stiff shafts beyond my physical swing capabilities.  I had many frustrating rounds where I couldn’t make them do what I pictured in my mind.  On the rare occasions where I got them right, they were awesome.  Same with the Vokeys.  The Mizuno T-20s got played today and I’ll probably never use my SM8s again.  LW was intuitive swing for me.  Lay the face open, swing and the ball popped nearly straight up and forward with barely a bounce on landing.  

YMMV, no warranty expressed or implied.  Not valid in CA.  🙂

Thanks and yeah a softer shaft can definitely lead to easier strikes!! I'm in 2021 T100 irons..... the traditional lofted version......and despite the initial intimidation, I've gotten very comfortable paired with modus 105R myself......I'm also a lefty and considered both the JPX921 SEL and 223s but alas Titleist drew me back in......

Enjoy your bats!!

Edited by SwooshLT