T100 vs. 223 Pro vs. P7MC

thl9077

Which irons?  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for P7MC even though the 223s are what’s in my bag. All three are incredible irons. For me, it came down to the extra pop and forgiveness of the 223s in the 4-7 irons. 

Based on your ratings…

P7MC (played these for most of last year): 4.5 feel, 4.5 sound, 2.5 forgiveness, and I honestly think they’re the best looking irons on the market so that’s an easy 5. Don’t really know about popularity on any of these. I found them more forgiving than their reputation would suggest and liked that they launched a touch on the low side for me.

223 (in the bag now): 3.5 feel, 4 sound, 4.5 forgiveness, 3 looks. Slightly thicker top line and larger overall profile, and I still don’t like the Mizuno Pro script. But these are really forgiving, relative to other stuff in this category. Biggest problem I’m having with them is they launch too high … it’s enough of a problem that I might be going back to JPX 921 SEL. But when you strike it thin and still see it getting into your window, you appreciate them. I’d be interested to hear a comparison of these and i210s.

T100 (just demoed them, not much experience at all): 4.5 feel, 4.5 sound, 4 forgiveness, 4 looks. Thinnest top line of all these, but surprisingly forgiving. Great irons.

• Thanks 3

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

I voted for P7MC even though the 223s are what’s in my bag. All three are incredible irons. For me, it came down to the extra pop and forgiveness of the 223s in the 4-7 irons. 

Based on your ratings…

P7MC (played these for most of last year): 4.5 feel, 4.5 sound, 2.5 forgiveness, and I honestly think they’re the best looking irons on the market so that’s an easy 5. Don’t really know about popularity on any of these. I found them more forgiving than their reputation would suggest and liked that they launched a touch on the low side for me.

223 (in the bag now): 3.5 feel, 4 sound, 4.5 forgiveness, 3 looks. Slightly thicker top line and larger overall profile, and I still don’t like the Mizuno Pro script. But these are really forgiving, relative to other stuff in this category. Biggest problem I’m having with them is they launch too high … it’s enough of a problem that I might be going back to JPX 921 SEL. But when you strike it thin and still see it getting into your window, you appreciate them. I’d be interested to hear a comparison of these and i210s.

T100 (just demoed them, not much experience at all): 4.5 feel, 4.5 sound, 4 forgiveness, 4 looks. Thinnest top line of all these, but surprisingly forgiving. Great irons.

Thanks for the feedback and it’s very similar to my experiences although I’ve only tested indoors. 

At this point my need is 223 Pro but want is P7MC due to its Amazing feel and looks. Just curious do you know if off the rack item and custom is identical if same specs? For example in Canada they have lots of P7MC with KBS Tour Stiff in stock. Ideally I would want to order full custom but the lead time is 8-10 weeks. If I ordered same irons with same shaft would it be exactly same as buying of the off the rack set? Why would someone still order custom if their spec is in stock but “off the rack?”  

also what kind of shafts were on your P7mc and now the 223 pro? 

I’m debating between p7mc with KBS Tour S and 223 Pro with Modus 120x. To me the modus 120x felt way more flexible than a KBS Tour stiff. I have heard that KBS is stiffer than Modus so it can’t be compared as apple to apple. 

I would put the T100 and 223 a step above the P7MCs. If the P7MCs didn't look so good I'm not sure they'd be on so many peoples radars. Easily the least forgiving and shortest players iron on the market today IMO. I play the 223s & I can assure you the P7MCs would be a full club shorter than them. If you're really prioritizing small blade length etc then there's the T100 or the TCB to fill that void with really good looking but different feeling irons.

This is relative between these three irons but this is how I'd rate them.

P7MC

-Feel: 4

-Sound: 3

-Forgiveness: 1

-Looks: 5

-Feel: 3

-Sound: 4

-Forgiveness: 5

-Looks: 3

T100

-Feel: 3

-Sound: 3

-Forgiveness: 3

-Looks: 4

• Thanks 1

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

Please excuse my slightly different viewpoint. 

If your set consisted of 7-PW, there’s no reason not to choose whichever model looks best to your eye. They all feel good and have good dispersion, height, and spin characteristics. The 223 is likely longer, but not so much to throw it out of the category.

The major differences are in the long irons, which of course you normally won’t experience until your set arrives. For me as a 6hdcp with 100mph driver -

The P7 long irons are no goes. They’re short, low, small sweet spot, and what would be adequate impacts on most other sets are severely punished anyway. Perhaps worse, the lack of distance and height induced you to try to swing faster, which is a deadly combination.

T100. The T100S long irons are different, and far easier to create adequate results. They feel different, and to some that isn’t acceptable, but in the case of the sets you’re considering, it creates a deficit for the T100 standard set that at least to me, they can’t recover from.

223. Prior year Mizuno’s have stressed the ease and utility of mixing the various models to create an optimal personal solution. They are/were at least arguably the best in that arena. To a great extent, the 225 and 223 models break that model, as they are far more variable within the set. They’re already a mixed set. The biggest payoff is in the long irons which are both very easy to hit and have significant distance advantage. Compared to the other two models here they really are in a different category. You can obviously accomplish similar results with T200 Titleist’s and perhaps P770’s, but in standard configuration, IMO the 223’s are a far better set for the “better” player. 

• Like 4

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

12 hours ago, thl9077 said:

Thanks for the feedback and it’s very similar to my experiences although I’ve only tested indoors. 

At this point my need is 223 Pro but want is P7MC due to its Amazing feel and looks. Just curious do you know if off the rack item and custom is identical if same specs? For example in Canada they have lots of P7MC with KBS Tour Stiff in stock. Ideally I would want to order full custom but the lead time is 8-10 weeks. If I ordered same irons with same shaft would it be exactly same as buying of the off the rack set? Why would someone still order custom if their spec is in stock but “off the rack?”  

also what kind of shafts were on your P7mc and now the 223 pro? 

I’m debating between p7mc with KBS Tour S and 223 Pro with Modus 120x. To me the modus 120x felt way more flexible than a KBS Tour stiff. I have heard that KBS is stiffer than Modus so it can’t be compared as apple to apple. 

Yeah if your specs match the stock irons, no reason not to buy off the rack!

I played the KBS Tour 120 stiffs in the P7MCs and Project X LZ 6.0 in my 223s. I’d say the KBS Tours felt slightly softer but mostly in the handle. Project X LZ is just a lot like their HZRDUS Blue, in that it has a very specific mid kick point. 

7 hours ago, kwainio said:

Easily the least forgiving and shortest players iron on the market today IMO. 

i59 was a little shorter for me. Basically agree with most of what you said though. I do think P7MCs handle a low heel miss really well, probably just because mass is concentrated closer to

the hosel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

Please excuse my slightly different viewpoint. 

If your set consisted of 7-PW, there’s no reason not to choose whichever model looks best to your eye. They all feel good and have good dispersion, height, and spin characteristics. The 223 is likely longer, but not so much to throw it out of the category.

The major differences are in the long irons, which of course you normally won’t experience until your set arrives. For me as a 6hdcp with 100mph driver -

The P7 long irons are no goes. They’re short, low, small sweet spot, and what would be adequate impacts on most other sets are severely punished anyway. Perhaps worse, the lack of distance and height induced you to try to swing faster, which is a deadly combination.

T100. The T100S long irons are different, and far easier to create adequate results. They feel different, and to some that isn’t acceptable, but in the case of the sets you’re considering, it creates a deficit for the T100 standard set that at least to me, they can’t recover from.

223. Prior year Mizuno’s have stressed the ease and utility of mixing the various models to create an optimal personal solution. They are/were at least arguably the best in that arena. To a great extent, the 225 and 223 models break that model, as they are far more variable within the set. They’re already a mixed set. The biggest payoff is in the long irons which are both very easy to hit and have significant distance advantage. Compared to the other two models here they really are in a different category. You can obviously accomplish similar results with T200 Titleist’s and perhaps P770’s, but in standard configuration, IMO the 223’s are a far better set for the “better” player. 

I have played both 221 and p7mc this year.  I've been through fitting with 223.  I have not hit the new t100.  I think the 221 are the best irons Mizuno has ever made.  Perfect..but you didn't ask about those. 

Your statement about distance simply isn't true.  With the same loft and shaft, I hit all 3 the same distance, on average... Verified by gc4.  

As for feel, I'd put the p7mc first, then 221, then 223.  

Forgiveness is probably a toss up between the 223 and p7mc.  

Looks, the p7mc... Not even close is the 223.  It's a weird looking finish. It isn't polished and it isn't brushed. Add in that goofy plastic badge looking thing in the back .. no thank you.   Noone will ever drool over the 223 sitting in the bag.  They ugly.  Plus, I don't like the longer toe on the Mizuno.  

Turf interaction... I like the slightly thicker sole on the p7mc.  Our conditions are usually softer and Mizuno tends to dig slightly.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max driver

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Callaway Paradym 18 hybrid

Adams proto 20 hybrid

Callaway Apex CB 24 (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 50/56 wedges 

Scotty Cameron fastback 1.5 putter

22 minutes ago, Tommyboi95 said:

Is it just me, but for me personally I found the 223 to be a little jumpy at times?? When I got fit I found that my t100s were 178,180, 178.6 etc. where the 223s were 176, 184, 180 

maybe I was just struggling to get in a groove with the 223. 

thanks!

Exactly what I found... Which is why I went 221. 

• Like 2

Adams proto 20 hybrid

Vokey sm9 50/56 wedges 

4 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

Exactly what I found... Which is why I went 221. 

You’re a beauty Bogey

And the only issue I can’t play the 221 is because I have to play a 32* 7 iron to keep my spin and launch down. I spun the 221 at 7000 😅 and I’m not gonna bend it to add the offset and ruin the iron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommyboi95 said:

You’re a beauty Bogey

And the only issue I can’t play the 221 is because I have to play a 32* 7 iron to keep my spin and launch down. I spun the 221 at 7000 😅 and I’m not gonna bend it to add the offset and ruin the iron

try the T100s...they have 32* 7 iron.  I have the opposite problem.  LOL  I need a little loft because I'm a low ball hitter.

• Like 1

Adams proto 20 hybrid

Vokey sm9 50/56 wedges 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, Tommyboi95 said:

Is it just me, but for me personally I found the 223 to be a little jumpy at times?? When I got fit I found that my t100s were 178,180, 178.6 etc. where the 223s were 176, 184, 180 

maybe I was just struggling to get in a groove with the 223. 

thanks!

Tested them today and…. Ball speed… 122, 124, 118, 123, 129….. whoa 129 out of nowhere. My dispersion was pretty bad, flying a 7 170-188. Thats a no go for me

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Tested them today and…. Ball speed… 122, 124, 118, 123, 129….. whoa 129 out of nowhere. My dispersion was pretty bad, flying a 7 170-188. Thats a no go for me

I have found similar jumpiness from my T100S irons, but I think there's something more at play with mine even if I don't know exactly what's up. I'm trying heavier and stiffer shafts for now.

Probably the best example of this is my 6 iron. Arccos gives me a "Smart Distance" of 183 metres with a weird longest outlier of 236 metres. I know where that was - there is nothing about the conditions I was playing in to make that happen (there was no 50 knot tail wind and I wasn't hitting downhill, for example - I hit through the fairway and into the side of a hill and there was no roll). It was weird. It just... happened. I don't think it was a case of finally finding the middle of the club, either 😂

That kind of front-to-back dispersion makes it tough to play good golf.

image.png

Edited by steventoo
  • Confused 2

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

28 minutes ago, steventoo said:

I have found similar jumpiness from my T100S irons, but I think there's something more at play with mine even if I don't know exactly what's up. I'm trying heavier and stiffer shafts for now.

Probably the best example of this is my 6 iron. Arccos gives me a "Smart Distance" of 183 metres with a weird longest outlier of 236 metres. I know where that was - there is nothing about the conditions I was playing in to make that happen (there was no 50 knot tail wind and I wasn't hitting downhill, for example - I hit through the fairway and into the side of a hill and there was no roll). It was weird. It just... happened. I don't think it was a case of finally finding the middle of the club, either 😂

That kind of front-to-back dispersion makes it tough to play good golf.

image.png

Maybe you hit a sprinkler or something??? Haha. Well see thats why I would go t100 over the t100s, the t100s has a similar design to the 223 with the slot behind the face for faster speeds in the 3-7 irons. The t100 doesnt have it. Pretty sure thats what causes the jumpers, or inconsistencies. Just my hunch though.

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 7MC sure is a great looking club. So classic and the milling and shape is top notch. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 6/5/2022 at 10:57 AM, Red4282 said:

Maybe you hit a sprinkler or something??? Haha. 

I don't think so - it totally blew through the dog-leg I was laying up to and just kept going until it landed in the rough of another hole which is perpendicular to the shot I was playing, but which slopes sideways on a hill towards where I was hitting from. If that makes sense.

image.png.acc52a2009f483c49425cb60cf74f6dc.png

It's just weird - a 50m flyer. Not as weird as the T200 3 iron, though...

image.png.dc0e544d6f5c8e9baea2dd21a326a647.png

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

• 1 month later...

I bent my P7MC 1* strong.  They are just as long as my i210s they replaced at this point.  I think the “short” comments about P7MCs is a bit over-stated.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X

Ping G430 3H, Ventus HB Blue 9X

Ping i230 4i DG S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5k Seven CH

Ping Hoofer Lite

• 1 year later...