GEM Training Aid

zacgolf

6 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Hmmm, that's odd. Can no one see the video?

Mr. Wolfe

see it on my ipad/iphone but on my mac it is listed as a gem.mov file which throws a can't be found error - using chrome on all devices.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

7 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Hmmm, that's odd. Can no one see the video?

Mr. Wolfe

Ok I switched to Safari and I saw your swing - Looks pretty much on plane - My preference is more dynamics in your hips like a little squat as you turn like Brendon demos and Milo Lines teaches. Overall it looks on plane.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badshaft said:

Ok I switched to Safari and I saw your swing - Looks pretty much on plane - My preference is more dynamics in your hips like a little squat as you turn like Brendon demos and Milo Lines teaches. Overall it looks on plane.

Who is Brendon? Do you have any links for what you are referring to? Thanks!

Mr. Wolfe

Thing still wobbles on me.  Have been working with it each night now and still get the wobble at P8, right when i get to waist high on follow through.  Have tried holding off, turning over, all sorts of different releases and still get wobble anytime I add speed.  Have done mirror work while swinging it and plane is fine, release looks good.  Just don't get it.

Now I've only ever used the large rod, and maybe with this being so late in swing, is it OK?  Going to take some swings tonight with it on my Planeswing and see if it wobbles in same place.  Just get a feeling that you can be on plane and still get a wobble.  At least with the large rod and that late in the release.

12 hours ago, smoothie4896 said:

Thing still wobbles on me.  Have been working with it each night now and still get the wobble at P8, right when i get to waist high on follow through.  Have tried holding off, turning over, all sorts of different releases and still get wobble anytime I add speed.  Have done mirror work while swinging it and plane is fine, release looks good.  Just don't get it.

Now I've only ever used the large rod, and maybe with this being so late in swing, is it OK?  Going to take some swings tonight with it on my Planeswing and see if it wobbles in same place.  Just get a feeling that you can be on plane and still get a wobble.  At least with the large rod and that late in the release.

Is it okay?  I suppose it depends on your results.  Since the wobble is occurring at the end of your swing sequence, I think it means that you’re only a little off of ideal.  It may be close enough that a few % improvement will not be noticeable.  But the wobble would seem to indicate that something is very slightly off in your plane, release or both.   It took me some time to realize that I had more than one issue going on in my swing.   But after using this device quite a bit I’ve been able to iron those out and I can do belt high to belt high swings at a good pace with no discernible wobble.  I use the long rod for these.  I haven’t graduated to fuller swings with the short rod.  It’s pretty cold now in my area and I don’t have room inside for full swings.  I was able to get out one day last week when we had a decent day and my iron striking was very good for me.  So, was it just a one-off good day or sustainable improvement?  I guess I won’t know until spring.

I made my own GEM knockoff a couple of days ago, using a 6 inch bolt.  Bet I made a thousand air swings in the house that night.  I had it installed on a G-Force club (flexible club, like a Lag Shot).  Not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent.

At first, I was 'wobbling' all over the place.  To smooth things out, I changed to a flatter feeling plane, with higher feeling hands through impact.  I also felt MUCH more body rotation through impact and a different move with my wrists in the release.  I got to where I could make 3/4 swings at fairly decent speed without any wobble.  The next day, excited on the first tee, I PULLED my shot big time.  Sigh...  Kept trying to repeat the feels that I remembered, but struggled after that with both pushes and pulls the rest of the round.

With the original assembly, I started off with what felt like quite a bit of weight.  I'm wondering if maybe it was too much, which was requiring me to exaggerate things?  Or maybe the not-GEM and G-Force club combo was not a good idea?  I've now removed about half the weight and will give it another go.

Thanks to everyone for the info and insight that you're sharing!

DIY GEM.jpg

4 hours ago, bogiebird said:

I made my own GEM knockoff a couple of days ago, using a 6 inch bolt.  Bet I made a thousand air swings in the house that night.  I had it installed on a G-Force club (flexible club, like a Lag Shot).  Not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent.

At first, I was 'wobbling' all over the place.  To smooth things out, I changed to a flatter feeling plane, with higher feeling hands through impact.  I also felt MUCH more body rotation through impact and a different move with my wrists in the release.  I got to where I could make 3/4 swings at fairly decent speed without any wobble.  The next day, excited on the first tee, I PULLED my shot big time.  Sigh...  Kept trying to repeat the feels that I remembered, but struggled after that with both pushes and pulls the rest of the round.

With the original assembly, I started off with what felt like quite a bit of weight.  I'm wondering if maybe it was too much, which was requiring me to exaggerate things?  Or maybe the not-GEM and G-Force club combo was not a good idea?  I've now removed about half the weight and will give it another go.

Thanks to everyone for the info and insight that you're sharing!

DIY GEM.jpg

Agree. I would put it on a normal 7i or similar. I too took some of the weight off on day 2. I was actually sore from swing so much the day before with probably too much weight. I don't get any wobble unless I swing past my waist on follow through. I will say that since using this for a couple of days, I walked 9 holes twice. Both times shooting 40 (which is about what I average), but my ball striking was better and this time of year in Pittsburgh to shoot my average is a win. I REALLY feel this thing is going to help me.

Mr. Wolfe

3 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Agree. I would put it on a normal 7i or similar. I too took some of the weight off on day 2. I was actually sore from swing so much the day before with probably too much weight. I don't get any wobble unless I swing past my waist on follow through. I will say that since using this for a couple of days, I walked 9 holes twice. Both times shooting 40 (which is about what I average), but my ball striking was better and this time of year in Pittsburgh to shoot my average is a win. I REALLY feel this thing is going to help me.

Mr. Wolfe

I started off with 10 washers but it wasn’t balancing toe up which is what the videos mention it should do so I added more washers until it did. Ended up with 20. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michigan1997 said:

I would not use it with the G-Force club. To much going on.

I moved the device to a normal club.  It's about the same with hip high 'swings', but beyond that it's much easier to prevent the wobble.

Had a great day at the range with the almost-GEM.  Swapping back and forth and hitting great shots.  It's working!  Impact was crisp, most shots were very straight, and I was getting 10 yards further carry with my irons. My arms and body felt more coordinated.  My swing felt less armsy, and my rotation to the finish is different.  Also different feelings with my wrist movements and release.  Considering how many differences I'm feeling, it seems that I'd gotten my swing into a pretty wacky place! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, skraly said:

Is it okay?  I suppose it depends on your results.  Since the wobble is occurring at the end of your swing sequence, I think it means that you’re only a little off of ideal.  It may be close enough that a few % improvement will not be noticeable.  But the wobble would seem to indicate that something is very slightly off in your plane, release or both.   It took me some time to realize that I had more than one issue going on in my swing.   But after using this device quite a bit I’ve been able to iron those out and I can do belt high to belt high swings at a good pace with no discernible wobble.  I use the long rod for these.  I haven’t graduated to fuller swings with the short rod.  It’s pretty cold now in my area and I don’t have room inside for full swings.  I was able to get out one day last week when we had a decent day and my iron striking was very good for me.  So, was it just a one-off good day or sustainable improvement?  I guess I won’t know until spring.

I can do hip to hip just fine, the wobble happens after P8 anytime the club face turns over even just the slightest bit. 
still working on it, we’ll see. 

On 11/20/2022 at 7:56 PM, Cwing said:

He also mentioned using a wrench. Anyone that try’s to swing a club with only a crescent wrench attached to it is in for a world of hurt.

Try an adjustable monkey/mole wrench with curved jaws!

No wobble for me! Toe up with and without wrench.

PXL_20221212_085208011.jpg.559c22a97cc496314811334ede0496b0.jpg

Edited by Nickc

I made one of these knock off versions and it showed me that I've never actually really rotated my upper body. 

First 30 or so swings with it, my backswing felt normal. But when I would reach impact position, club face would still be wide open, the face would rapidly flip over past the impact position, and the aid would nearly wobble out of my grip. 

After watching bbg use it and explain it a bit, I realized I should rotate my upper body and not the club face. 

Of course I've always known to do this but never really felt the feelings of doing it properly. 

So this thing is massively changing the way I have swung a golf club for the last 3 years. I'm still learning these new feels, but I'm excited to be feeling new things. Can't wait to see how the practice swings translate on the range. 

1 minute ago, medwa said:

I made one of these knock off versions and it showed me that I've never actually really rotated my upper body. 

First 30 or so swings with it, my backswing felt normal. But when I would reach impact position, club face would still be wide open, the face would rapidly flip over past the impact position, and the aid would nearly wobble out of my grip. 

After watching bbg use it and explain it a bit, I realized I should rotate my upper body and not the club face. 

Of course I've always known to do this but never really felt the feelings of doing it properly. 

So this thing is massively changing the way I have swung a golf club for the last 3 years. I'm still learning these new feels, but I'm excited to be feeling new things. Can't wait to see how the practice swings translate on the range. 

I agree. My "feel" is I am swinging through impact with my body. It is the best trainer I have used.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, medwa said:

Great first post and Welcome to WRX 🍻

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

35 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

I agree. My "feel" is I am swinging through impact with my body. It is the best trainer I have used.

Mr. Wolfe

I'm still having issues with it wobbling past impact, even when rotating my upper body. I think my issue, in addition to my lack of proper upper body rotation, is not swinging it on plane. I'm a high handicap weekend warrior and basically what this thing has taught me so far is that it's a miracle I've ever hit a halfway decent golf shot 😆

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, Barfolomew said:

Does GEM only work for traditional backswing players? 

Can the GEM be moved to use at different angles for players that don't rotate as much or even staying closed?

I think that would depend on what your trying to accomplish. I think it's outstanding for teaching a specific "feel" and muscle memory related to an on plane "body" release. I think (others might chip in yes or no here) that you can marry arm plane with 

various spine angles and body movement. I know I drop my hands inside in transition playing right handed and it showed me that as a lefty I'm too left side dominant in my release at times. Here I thought it would really help me improve my right side (I'm left handed)

but it really has helped me more with my dominant left side.

I promotes an on plane release through the hitting area so if your not doing that it will certainly tell you via the wobble. 

Edited by TxFlogger
spelling

11 hours ago, medwa said:

I'm still having issues with it wobbling past impact, even when rotating my upper body. I think my issue, in addition to my lack of proper upper body rotation, is not swinging it on plane. I'm a high handicap weekend warrior and basically what this thing has taught me so far is that it's a miracle I've ever hit a halfway decent golf shot 😆

For me, it's good upper body rotation along with correct wrist release that prevents the wobble.  My swing is feeling very different.  It's feeling more horizontal vs vertical.  I think this training aid helps several things.  Plane, rotation, casting, correct wrist hinge/release, smooth rhythm etc.

Would anyone that owns the real thing be willing to weigh the entire device as a whole with the longest section? I respect not wanting to give out the component weights - I just want to make sure relatively in the ballpark.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

On 12/12/2022 at 9:33 AM, medwa said:

Don't be too hard on your self.  I'm a single digit hcp'er and if I get the ball off of the ground and more or less in the direction I am aiming I consider that a pretty good shot.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Badshaft said:

Link doesn't work for me

On 12/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Ok, have been playing around with my homemade GEM. I think I am starting to get it. If I use my body, I am getting no wobble, even up to about 75% swing speed. I did notice that it flattens my swing a bit (which I've actually been trying to do). Does this look too flat?

Mr. Wolfe

Mr Wolfe thanks for posting that video.

I just obtained my  GEM and have been working  with it.

I also notice that if I turn my torso(shoulders, chest,abdomen,hips) as I swing have much less if very little wobble.

how this translate into a good ball  flight I dont know,i dont have launch monitor or access to one.i always just follow my ball flight, which I like basically straight to where I am aiming.

hard to get a perfect slight fade or draw on every shot but I guess that is the goal.

I also like how your swing keeps hands below the shoulders.yes this promotes a flatter swing but so what?

I think working with this device will encourage a better swing because it almost forces you to use your torso, not just your arms.i think people who say it doesn't help their swing and cant get rid of wobble feeling are just not performing a good swing mechanics.for me it is encouraging a full body turn, with my back foot on toes at the finish.

I wish the GEM people would show high handicappers ball flight after using their device.

seeing it would go a long way to answering questions, and maybe enhance some improvements.

I am 75+,20+handicapper trying to improve, started golf about 15-20 years ago, have had lots of "pro lessons" and tried different gadgets,,we will just give this device some time, and I will follow this forum for others experience.

John Watermeier

I saw a youtube video on this yesterday and decided to do a DIY as I'm impatient.  I didn't get a lot of wobble but haven't done any high speed swings yet.  I made up two weights as I wasn't sure what it should be.  I decided to use a 4oz and an 8oz fishing weight, as opposed to washers and used 6" carriage bolts as I couldn't find any threaded rod.  I did paint them quickly so as not to have to deal with lead on my fingers.  My irons are pretty good but I'm hoping to try this out with driver as I tend to leave the face open.  Then it snowed last night, so might be a while before I can get out.  So today I was searching for more info and trying to find the weight it should be and I came across this thread.

golfweight2.jpg

golfweights.jpg