GEM Training Aid

zacgolf

4 minutes ago, mudge said:

GLWT, Chicago customs is notorious for letting things sit for weeks or sometimes months without movement 

That sucks.  It shows that its been processed already, just sitting.  I had reached out to GEM customer service and they replied right away.  Said they were aware of the Chicago customs and how they can be slow, said give it another week and reach out if it hasn't left by then.  Fingers crossed

Built the DIY version and have used it in two range sessions.   Feels pretty natural and really helps me release the club.  I have a tendency to hold off my release when I get worried about a hook.   I was able to establish a swing feel that carried over to a personal record round.

No need to spend the over $100 for the real deal unless you want it to look really nice.

Nike Covert Tour w/ Accra Tour Z 65
TM RocketBallz Stage 2 w/ Accra LT70
Adams Dhy 18 w/ Nunchuk
Nike VRS Forged 4-GW, DGX100
TM ATV Wedges 56* and 64*
Odyssey Black Tour #2

Built the DIY version tonight 

Im a good player by handicap and I don’t know what’s going on with this training aid. I feel when I try to release it, I get a wobble 

I feel when I try to hold it off and really rotate my body, it stays stable 

Honestly not sure if the latter is wrong so I’m a bit confused as to how I should be practicing with this 

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

13 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

Built the DIY version tonight 

Im a good player by handicap and I don’t know what’s going on with this training aid. I feel when I try to release it, I get a wobble 

I feel when I try to hold it off and really rotate my body, it stays stable 

Honestly not sure if the latter is wrong so I’m a bit confused as to how I should be practicing with this 

I have been using it about 2-3 weeks and getting more comfortable each practice. 

It has helped me stay more consistent in my 3 rounds since getting it - I would say watch the 2 videos that I posted from Be Better Golf (Above and previous page). He explains the movement pretty well.

11 minutes ago, RobertBaron said:

Isn't that kinda the point of it?

My understanding from the couple videos was to learn how to release, not necessarily hold off? That's part of my confusion 

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

7 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

My understanding from the couple videos was to learn how to release, not necessarily hold off? That's part of my confusion 

I think if you’re a bit flippy through impact, a body driven swing or release will feel held off. 

like if you’re way under plane, more on plane will feel over the top or out to in. 

Edited by RobertBaron
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 7:14 PM, osubuckeyes691 said:

I've only had it for 2 days now, but getting the same feel.  Even when I rotate hard, any time the club face turns over at just a little speed, there's a wobble.  Only time I don't feel a wobble is when I go very very slow. Anyone else

Whether store-bought or home-made, this thing really gives you the feel of a "no hold-off" release. If you question what a full release feels like, this will give you a solid feel that transfers to most swings. For those of you struggling with this feel right from the box, well you should. Some of you are closer than others with being on-plane and on time.

Most folks don't have the patience to follow the instructions, but for those of you who do, this should help you feel something you quite possibly never have.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, nitram said:

Whether store-bought or home-made, this thing really gives you the feel of a "no hold-off" release. If you question what a full release feels like, this will give you a solid feel that transfers to most swings. For those of you struggling with this feel right from the box, well you should. Some of you are closer than others with being on-plane and on time.

Most folks don't have the patience to follow the instructions, but for those of you who do, this should help you feel something you quite possibly never have.

So if you had someone on a launch monitor and they practiced with this thing then you should see someone be less open (or more closed) face to path after using it...?

1 hour ago, nitram said:

After watching the video above, think I know what's going on.  I'm feeling the wobble well after impact and at p8, as the club transitions past waist high.  After watching his release in the video, I think I might know where the wobbles coming from on mine.   Cool training aid, look forward to putting in more time with it.

FYI, the pic above of Couples release would be wobble city with the GEM 

@getitdailyIn theory yes, as I'm seeing/reading more people reporting a baby draw after using it as intended. In reality, I'm seeing better sequencing and better low point consistency. But more importantly, folks will have a chance to "feel" a proper release, perhaps for the first time.

Caveat: I am in no way associated with GEM Golf and have no intention of buying one. I've just witnessed what this has done for roughly a dozen people, male/female, 6-26 hcp, and one is finally feeling a proper release for the first time in over two decades of playing golf.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

12 minutes ago, nitram said:

@getitdailyIn theory yes, as I'm seeing/reading more people reporting a baby draw after using it as intended. In reality, I'm seeing better sequencing and better low point consistency. But more importantly, folks will have a chance to "feel" a proper release, perhaps for the first time.

Caveat: I am in no way associated with GEM Golf and have no intention of buying one. I've just witnessed what this has done for roughly a dozen people, male/female, 6-26 hcp, and one is finally feeling a proper release for the first time in over two decades of playing golf.

Thanks. The aid intrigues me but I want to see someone post actual data, before and after...path and face to path before I even think about buying it. I intentionally use a bit of a hold off release. I play a fade. I've toyed with a bit more "active" release and I do hit it a bit farther, but I also start to get too close to square ftp or even closed ftp at impact. 

However, I do stay a bit too open often....path 2 degrees left and ftp more than 3 open. I'd have to see just how often that is...

Guess what I'm wondering is if this aid will help folks get a bit more release but not abandon the left hand hold off release method. If I get my right hand too involved in the release I see hook city.

Edited by getitdaily

I get your desire to see data as I think it would be interesting to see. Also, I'd be interested to see how the GEM would work for you and whether your LH hold off would cause a wobble.

Edited by nitram

17 minutes ago, nitram said:

I get your desire to see data as I think it would be interesting to see. I'd be interested to see how the GEM would work for you and whether your LH hold off would cause a wobble.

I've been using a launch monitor for all.long game work for 5ish weeks now. I'm due for a follow up lesson now that I'm practicing with data. I'll ask my instructor what I should be focused on and if this aid would benefit where he thinks I need to focus. 

My swing is down to very small changes. I mostly see my instructor when I get wonky and can't dig put the fix.  Almost always setup and tempo...

• Like 1

This video from about 2 minutes through the end talks about the wobble and how to use it - This video gave me an epiphany on what I was doing wrong. 

I haven't been getting the club on the correct plane and I fixed it on my second 9 yesterday. I have always been more of a single planer so I made a slight adjustment to the club path and I had a great ball striking day yesterday on the course after I figured it out- This also helps with the wobble - If you are not on the inside path and turning the corner it will wobble. 

Front 9; I couldn't get my off of the right side with fade or worse - My Irons were decent but not as solid as they could.

Back 9; Doubled #10 because of a bad slice into the woods then I made the change to getting the club on the inside plane he explains in the video, (the figure 8 move) after that even Par and I hit every fairway with all but 1 green which I was just inches from - Really felt great with solid ball strikes. 

I know some of you guys are asking for the specs of the original GEM - But I am not comfortable giving out the guys hard work, research and living. Everyones DIY ideas look like they would for sure work -  Maybe not quite the same but pretty dang close -

If you have the wobble - I would look at process, study the vids and give it more time - I practiced about 20 minutes tonight and I thought it went really good. Last Friday was my 3rd week. He did mention in one of the videos it might take a few weeks to get a good feel for it.

Edited by Badshaft
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Badshaft said:

I know some of you guys are asking for the specs of the original GEM - But I am not comfortable giving out the guys hard work, research and living. Everyones DIY ideas look like they would for sure work -  Maybe not quite the same but pretty dang close -

If you have the wobble - I would look at process, study the vids and give it more time - I practiced about 20 minutes tonight and I thought it went really good. Last Friday was my 3rd week. He did mention in one of the videos it might take a few weeks to get a good feel for it.

Totally understand!

Mr. Wolfe

Link doesn't work for me

23 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Ok, have been playing around with my homemade GEM. I think I am starting to get it. If I use my body, I am getting no wobble, even up to about 75% swing speed. I did notice that it flattens my swing a bit (which I've actually been trying to do). Does this look too flat?

Mr. Wolfe

GEM.mov

I just got my GEM (ordered late Friday, processed Mon and arrived via DHL (Dallas area) on Wed. Obviously only a quick session last night and another this AM (50-60 halfswings each).

Absolutely no question that it's a unique concept and until you experience it you really can't understand it. The closest personal experience I could relate it to is Malaska's corner to corner drill and related shaft movement. 

What I can tell you is that this is unequivocally objective. It's not a subjective "if will feel like this but your actually doing that". Even in 100 or so swings it affects plane, posture, dynamic balance, sequence and rotation. There 

actually was a noticeable difference in comfort and "wobble" in session two this AM. A couple of things that stood out to me that haven't been mentioned are awareness of spine angle and foot pressure. If all your doing is swinging without

preconceived moves  I think you'll notice greater efficiency (simplicity) in your body. Quickly brought back a few "ah ha" moments where I've felt like my body is moving slower but the club is actually very fast through impact.

Speaking for myself I know that regardless of how well I'm swinging I can't seem to ever get through a round without the fight between playing golf and playing golf swing. It might not be the right tool for everyone but for those looking to build 

a clear repeatable set of movements in the impact area I think it's game changer. Obviously the proof is in the results over time. I wanted to get these initial thoughts down while they were fresh. I'm going to take a few weeks just doing the BBG drills

before I hit the range/course. I actually play from both sides (left handed but learned golf right handed). I got "stuck" as a righty at about 13 or 14 (4-7 handicap) and a Pro at the Raven (PHX) actually convinced me to try lefty about 15 years ago. 

Right now I'm focused on how the GEM will help me right handed in refining how my right side works. My lefty ""potential" is much better (40 yds longer, much better sand/flop shot play but also more bad shots). Rightly I can walk out no practice/play for 

3-6 months stick a tee in the ground and shoot 78-83 or so. I can hit 400 balls and chip/putt for 5-6 hours each week and play a few holes each evening...then stick a tee in the ground for score and shoot....75-82.....ARGGGGHHHHHHH.

I'll report back in a couple weeks...

• Like 2