is pasatiempo @ $345 worth it?

JohnDrives2222

On 6/1/2022 at 8:30 AM, SouthBayGolfer said:

Shows how much I know. I would be disappointed if I were a member for those 8 months though. 

Anyone would be...

Tracks that hold PGA events, typically are shut down to play four - six months prior to the event, and the PGA takes over course mgt sometimes up to 6 months in advance of the event.  Course, that depends on turf quality.  Normally, members vote on letting the PGA take over, even when the course is owned by a benevolent dictator.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

17 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Anyone would be...

Tracks that hold PGA events, typically are shut down to play four - six months prior to the event, and the PGA takes over course mgt sometimes up to 6 months in advance of the event.  Course, that depends on turf quality.  Normally, members vote on letting the PGA take over, even when the course is owned by a benevolent dictator.  

So a track like Augusta, how long do they shut down for before an event? 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Srixon ZX 3 wood 15 degree

Srixon ZX utility 3 and 4 iron with nippon tour 105 shafts

Srixon ZX-7 5-P nippon tour 105 shafts

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Scotty Cameron Special Squareback Select 2 putter

Ping Hoofer Lite Tour bag

Srixon Z Star XV balls

23 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Anyone would be...

Do you mean majors (or other major events like Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, etc.)?

I've played a good bit of PGA venues (I even grew up on a course that hosted an annual PGA Tour event), and none of them shut down for 4-6 months. Most would stop member play about 2-3 weeks before the event and 1-2 weeks after so the course could recover.

54 minutes ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

So a track like Augusta, how long do they shut down for before an event? 

Can't say.  Augusta has 2, 18 hole courses plus the 9 hole.  As I understand, Augusta members typically play the back 18 pvt course, not the course we see on TV.  The one on TV has one set of blocks, put out daily, and limited play.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

9 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Can't say.  Augusta has 2, 18 hole courses plus the 9 hole.  As I understand, Augusta members typically play the back 18 pvt course, not the course we see on TV.  The one on TV has one set of blocks, put out daily, and limited play.

None of this is true. Most courses shut down for maybe a couple weeks and/or move to cart path only to keep it in shape. If it is a public course like TPC Scottsdale you can play the week before the Waste Management. The Ocean course was open a few weeks before the PGA last year. 

Also, there aren't two full 18 hole courses at Augusta either. There is a completely different club/course called Augusta Country Club, but that is a completely different place. Augusta National has purchased land from ACC the past few years to expand ANGC. 

Edited by mci711

50 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Do you mean majors (or other major events like Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, etc.)?

I've played a good bit of PGA venues (I even grew up on a course that hosted an annual PGA Tour event), and none of them shut down for 4-6 months. Most would stop member play about 2-3 weeks before the event and 1-2 weeks after so the course could recover.

Interesting.  I've played a number of tour venues after events too.  Having been on the BOD of two clubs, as board members, we visited other clubs with similar membership structures to exchange management techniques.  As I knew it, length of control by PGA or USGA depends on if the club is public or private, and what the venue contract stipulates. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Are you feeling okay? Some of your recent comments have been wayyyyyyy off.....

Augusta National has one 18 hole course and one 9 hole par 3 course (currently under construction). Also, what are you talking about when you say the members play a different course than we see on tv???

FYI, Augusta National closes late spring (before the Masters) and doesn't open back up until the fall. Members are able to play there when it's open (Oct/Nov - March)

20 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Are you feeling okay? Some of your recent comments have been wayyyyyyy off.....

Augusta National has one 18 hole course and one 9 hole par 3 course (currently under construction). Also, what are you talking about when you say the members play a different course than we see on tv???

FYI, Augusta National closes late spring (before the Masters) and doesn't open back up until the fall. Members are able to play there when it's open (Oct/Nov - March)

RECENT?????????  As in, recent comments????    LMFAO.  This is the way PBO rolls….Augusta National has 2 18 hole courses and members play the “other” one more, not the one you see on tv.  Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! And extremely knowledgeable…

Edited by sharkiesj

• 4 weeks later...

In a word, yes. I was stunned. Blown away at the brilliance of the architecture. From that standpoint unless you have great connections I doubt you ever play a course this well built. 

the greens, each one it’s own work of art. No give up. So many shots I hit blind thinking they were great, sometimes center of green to get crushed by angles and slopes. 

just magnificent 

• Like 4

On 5/18/2022 at 9:44 PM, sharkiesj said:

7E15D770-AD06-4D8F-A994-47DD842A547D.png

I hope they fix the fairway widths too.  1 and 9 are supposed to share a fairway.  In fact #1 fairway should go farther left where the range is.  That’s how it originally was I understand.  Also merge 6 and 7 fairways to the original design.   The greens are the area that doesn’t need restoring IMO.  The fairways and excess trees should be the focus.   Still a great track, but could be top 25 US.    

Edited by So_Cal
Spelling

I’d pay that for Pasa before I would pay almost double that to play Pebble. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

10 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I’d pay that for Pasa before I would pay almost double that to play Pebble. 

I don’t drink. I literally play golf. That’s it. I play good golf. Eat good food. I will say rack rate at pasa is almost as high as pebble if you decide to get a cart and a souvenir.  But there is so much cache at pasa it’s not close. And I love pebble. 

• Like 1

Wow you guys live in a different world to me if you'd play Pasa over Pebble at relatively the same price (which it is, as Callawayjay indicates).  Pasa is a great course but in the end it's in a forest/housing tract.  Pebble is pebble.... on the ocean and with a wealth of competitive golf history Pasa sure doesn't have.

To each his own.....

2 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Wow you guys live in a different world to me if you'd play Pasa over Pebble at relatively the same price (which it is, as Callawayjay indicates).  Pasa is a great course but in the end it's in a forest/housing tract.  Pebble is pebble.... on the ocean and with a wealth of competitive golf history Pasa sure doesn't have.

To each his own.....

Architecturally pebble doesn’t come close to pasa. It’s McKenzie for crying out loud.

Historically it’s pebble x1000

for my trip pasa was in way better shape than pebble or spy. and the imagination that pasa requires to me is special. 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, callawayjay said:

Architecturally pebble doesn’t come close to pasa. It’s McKenzie for crying out loud.

Historically it’s pebble x1000

for my trip pasa was in way better shape than pebble or spy. and the imagination that pasa requires to me is special. 

I didn't comment on conditions, nor do I think that matters.   I disagree whole-heartedly with everything else you said.

Like I say, to each his own. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, Mullenboy said:

To each his own.....

In what world is $385 and $595 (plus cart fee or caddie fee and resort stay) the same price? 

Edited by mci711

4 hours ago, mci711 said:

In what world is $385 and $595 (plus cart fee or caddie fee and resort stay) the same price? 

Pasa charges you for the cart on top of that. Plus pro shop merch. I walk with a pushcart. No caddie at either place. So I have enough pebble swag to tide me over. My second round at pasa i was gassed (6th round in 7 days) got the cart. Got merchandise. Looking at the 2 exclusively pasa could be overpriced, but i don’t care, and pebble could be under considering the history. Use the golf now the week of and save if you’re that concerned about cost 

from a pros perspective pebble beach is a push over. I would think tipped out with the greens at pasa would be a sterner test. Start to finish pasa held my interest. There is a crescendo and a drop with a marvelous finish at pebble. 

don’t get me wrong. Will almost always play spy 2x and pebble once every year we go. Been fortunate in that regard. But will absolutely make the trip to Santa Cruz every time from this point forward. It’s a genius golf course. Ask the caddies what course they love around there. They will all say pasa to a fault. 

Edited by callawayjay

You millage may vary, but I love getting out to bucket list courses from time to time and 'saving some money'. 😉

I have a rough golf budget on a yearly basis, so I am not really deciding between Spyglass and Pasa, it more like between Pasa and new hybrid or play Pasa and don't play 3 or 4 $100 rounds the following month at local tracks. 

The last time I played Pebble it was on vacation. $500 for Pebble and I just played once in the 10 days v $200 to play 3 or 4 rounds on most trips. - money saver! 

9 hours ago, callawayjay said:

Pasa charges you for the cart on top of that. Plus pro shop merch. I walk with a pushcart. No caddie at either place. So I have enough pebble swag to tide me over. My second round at pasa i was gassed (6th round in 7 days) got the cart. Got merchandise. Looking at the 2 exclusively pasa could be overpriced, but i don’t care, and pebble could be under considering the history. Use the golf now the week of and save if you’re that concerned about cost 

from a pros perspective pebble beach is a push over. I would think tipped out with the greens at pasa would be a sterner test. Start to finish pasa held my interest. There is a crescendo and a drop with a marvelous finish at pebble. 

don’t get me wrong. Will almost always play spy 2x and pebble once every year we go. Been fortunate in that regard. But will absolutely make the trip to Santa Cruz every time from this point forward. It’s a genius golf course. Ask the caddies what course they love around there. They will all say pasa to a fault. 

$385 is with cart. It is $345 to walk. Adding merchandise is completely subjective. Most people going to Pebble are going to buy something. The facts are one is $385 max and one is $595 minimum. No where near the same price, just because you buy merchandise, might as well add in food and the extra gas it takes to get to Pebble from the bay area. 

I love both courses and think they are both worth the cost. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 2bGood said:

You millage may vary, but I love getting out to bucket list courses from time to time and 'saving some money'. 😉

I have a rough golf budget on a yearly basis, so I am not really deciding between Spyglass and Pasa, it more like between Pasa and new hybrid or play Pasa and don't play 3 or 4 $100 rounds the following month at local tracks. 

The last time I played Pebble it was on vacation. $500 for Pebble and I just played once in the 10 days v $200 to play 3 or 4 rounds on most trips. - money saver! 

I quit drinking when I was 25 (56 now). Golf is my passion. I’ll save when I can to go play the peninsula. 

the amount of $$$ available when you quit drinking is biblical. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

I too love both courses but don't think either is worth the price charged.

It's all relative to your bank account and what's in your investment portfolio.

But my best advice is to play Pebble Beach at least once in your lifetime (you don't get a 2nd lifetime) for the reason it's the mecca of golf in America.  You'll be walking in the footsteps of Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods.  Can you say that about your local course?

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

On 7/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

It's all relative to your bank account and what's in your investment portfolio.

But my best advice is to play Pebble Beach at least once in your lifetime (you don't get a 2nd lifetime) for the reason it's the mecca of golf in America.  You'll be walking in the footsteps of Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods.  Can you say that about your local course?

Well said - fully agreed.

• Like 1

When people have asked have I ever played PB and I respond yes there are generally two immediate follow up yet very different lead questions:

How much was it?

How was the experience?

Those in the first camp almost always come away with the it’s not worth it group while the second one generally wants to know how to get on, time of year, etc.

Same for TOC, RCD, Sawgrass to name a few.  Truth is (for me anyways) we all see value and worth in our own mind as it were.  And for me every course was worth it and more as the memories have and hopefully will last a lifetime for myself and my family.

YMMV

<><

• Like 1

2 hours ago, callawayjay said:

Pebble beach is always worth it. The Brandon Dunes homers will say it’s a waste but it’s always worth it. If you can afford it, there’s nothing better. As stated above ymmv 

If it's just about playing another round of golf, of course it isn't worth it.  But if you're looking for a great memory, traipsing hallowed ground, that will flash back to you later in life, perfectly made for sharing, you will treasure it. 

I think Phil Knight, founder of Nike, after a round at Pebble Beach said this, "Just do it!"

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down