Ping i230 pic

jwo

45 minutes ago, nickosbad said:

Placed my order yesterday for a 4-PW set of i230

Been playing T100 for almost 2 years with AMT White and the last 2 months I've just lost all confidence with them so they need to be put on the naughty step for a while (possibly indefinitely).

Went back and forth between PX iO and PX LS, ended up in 6.0 LS, was initially concerned that I wouldn't spin the longer irons enough but strangely, I was actually getting slightly higher spin readings with the LS over the iO (granted this was with a 7 iron). As much as I liked the feel of the iO and they were so easy to swing, the lighter weight is not what I am used to having played DG/AMT/C-Taper for the last 20 years

The hope is that the i230 will offer more forgiveness and higher flights in the longer irons and more consistency across the set.

And they SHOULD!!! this has been my bugaboo for years now, that has been rectified with the i230s 

On 8/19/2023 at 2:53 PM, SwooshLT said:

Followed Thursdays 70 with another 70....and 14 more GIR's!!! sadly I didn't get up and down once .....6 birds with 4 inside 5ft and the other 2 were 15ft+ 

Hadn't touched my beautiful stix in a week ....literally got home from a funeral,  changed and ran out to a local muni....hitting 15 GIR's and ANOTHER 70 !!! 

I can't say enough about the forgiveness as I had a few shots that had no business getting on the green. And now I'm getting more confident to press for a bit of distance on in between shots .....

Still learning but man this is FUN!! 

Played my first round with my new wedges yesterday (Cleveland RTX6s) with the KBS Tour shafts and it has me lusting for my new i230s! No updates on shipping etc. yet, but hoping I'll hear something on them this week!

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, pbr2121 said:

Excellent inquiry. I have the power spec but never hit standard. What I can say if I don’t hit down properly and thin it the results are astonishing.

Power spec here as well.  

I previously played i210's in "standard" lofts.

I find the distance that thin and toe shots carry to be flat out astonishing as well.

Many times indiscernible.

Edited by vernon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

9 hours ago, pbr2121 said:

Excellent inquiry. I have the power spec but never hit standard. What I can say if I don’t hit down properly and thin it the results are astonishing.

I assume this was in response to my question. Thanks for the response. I figured it would help a bit on thin shots. I owned a set of i230 and found them to really work all across the face. Especially with distance. I remember hitting it thin and still getting great results. I'd be interested to hear how turf interaction differs from power spec to standard. 

47 minutes ago, toastinato said:

I assume this was in response to my question. Thanks for the response. I figured it would help a bit on thin shots. I owned a set of i230 and found them to really work all across the face. Especially with distance. I remember hitting it thin and still getting great results. I'd be interested to hear how turf interaction differs from power spec to standard. 

I played i210 in standard and power spec.  No difference in turf interaction when moving to powerspec.  These irons have a ton of bounce and a designed to have the lifts adjusted

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toastinato said:

Some of the power-spec differences are less than or just 1 degree, and really they feel no different in that sense. I don't think you'll find any noticeable difference.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

Some of the power-spec differences are less than or just 1 degree, and really they feel no different in that sense. I don't think you'll find any noticeable difference.

Thank you. I figured so. I do notice when bending irons that I notice offset be effected so I wasn't sure the effect on turf interaction. I miss my i230's! Lol. 

• Sad 1

Alright - two rounds in and I am absolutely loving these. My average hole proximity has gone down 5ft (!!) and I don't feel like I've even gotten close to having them dialled in yet.

One question though - is anyone else using the i230 U wedge? So far I'm having a really hard time getting any distance out of it, and I'm wondering if the 13º of bounce is messing me up. With my old 52º Cleveland Wedge I was getting 100 yards of carry, but with this I'm barely cracking 90 yards so far. Hitting the W a bit fat as well, but hoping it's all just adjustment. I have a 30 day play guarantee, so can swap something out if needs be potentially.

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely getting the wedges more dialled in now... How are people liking the 4 iron and 5 iron? I loved my old long irons, and I'm really struggling to get consistency on the course with these. I can hit them pretty well at the driving range, but I'm not seeing anything like consistency on the course - either tee or fairway.

1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Definitely getting the wedges more dialled in now... How are people liking the 4 iron and 5 iron? I loved my old long irons, and I'm really struggling to get consistency on the course with these. I can hit them pretty well at the driving range, but I'm not seeing anything like consistency on the course - either tee or fairway.

My experience, i230 has some of the best long irons. I've always felt they are so easy to hit and get up in the air. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, toastinato said:

My experience, i230 has some of the best long irons. I've always felt they are so easy to hit and get up in the air. 

They've really done well with the 5-iron. Can't speak to the 4, since I went crossover. But I will bag my 4-5-6 year-round. They're good, and reliable. You'll get there, @Rearviewmirror

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

2 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

They've really done well with the 5-iron. Can't speak to the 4, since I went crossover. But I will bag my 4-5-6 year-round. They're good, and reliable. You'll get there, @Rearviewmirror

How do you like the cross over? 4 iron is where I start to get iffy for the sake of flight. Always wondered a 3 or 4 crossover. 

30 minutes ago, toastinato said:

How do you like the cross over? 4 iron is where I start to get iffy for the sake of flight. Always wondered a 3 or 4 crossover. 

I like it, but if I had to do again, I'd get a 90gr shaft to match my 105s better. 80 is a bit light. I don't know that it's any better than a 525, but it looks a lot better. I've never found any better setting than stock O, but that's about what works for me anyhow. I find I use my hybrid less and less as I play that more, too. Maybe speaks more to me and my hybrid, really.

No matter what you do, I'm a proponent of the fat-4. Having one specialty chunker above your first set-iron is handy.

• Like 3

Questions for those of you that have hit standard and power spec lofts. 

How big of a difference did you notice between the lofts? 

I recently picked up a set of i230’s, the initial performance results are good, but they do launch a little higher than I’m used to. I’m fortunate enough to live in Phoenix and the Ping factory is a short drive from me to have them change the lofts. 

Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I recently picked up a set of i230’s, the initial performance results are good, but they do launch a little higher than I’m used to. I’m fortunate enough to live in Phoenix and the Ping factory is a short drive from me to have them change the lofts. 

Thanks in advance. 

Peak height didn’t drop much, spin did by about 3-400 rpms.  The drop in spin was helpful getting a few extra yards despite the absurd peak height.

that being said, even with the absurd peak height, I’ve probably never hit an iron with better front to back dispersion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Thanks in advance. 

I've played standard before and found them too high (i200), and the 230's in Power are absolutely fine. They gap very evenly. I can't get my shorts to spin back, but I think that's the 230 head more than anything else.

Go for it. If you hate it, they can go back.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 8:56 PM, Rearviewmirror said:

Alright - two rounds in and I am absolutely loving these. My average hole proximity has gone down 5ft (!!) and I don't feel like I've even gotten close to having them dialled in yet.

One question though - is anyone else using the i230 U wedge? So far I'm having a really hard time getting any distance out of it, and I'm wondering if the 13º of bounce is messing me up. With my old 52º Cleveland Wedge I was getting 100 yards of carry, but with this I'm barely cracking 90 yards so far. Hitting the W a bit fat as well, but hoping it's all just adjustment. I have a 30 day play guarantee, so can swap something out if needs be potentially.

Took me a little time to get used to my UW, but it's now pretty consistent for 105 yards..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Teebs said:

Took me a little time to get used to my UW, but it's now pretty consistent for 105 yards..

Same. Took a hot minute, but now it's settling in on 100m

Back on the i230 train. First time around I went 5-PW w/ KBS tour stiff and wasn’t totally into it. 

This time around I have 4-UW w/ DG 105 stiff and it feels like a much better fit. I’m used to heavier shafts and I’m surprised how much I like these. I definitely feel like I’m not losing anything with this combo. The long irons are so consistent and reliable. Short irons are point and shoot. I’ll be gaming these for awhile. 

• Like 4

Still astonished with my set (5-GW DG120s). Handicap has stabilized at 4.9 but iron play is better than that.

Long/Mid irons are easy to hit and accurate, short iron performance is exceptional. These won't be out of the bag for a couple of years at least - genuinely don't understand how they could be better for me.

Nice feeling going into 2024 that I don't even need to think about irons. 

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m curious to why these DG 105 shafts fit me so well. I would assume I should be in a heavier shaft because I’m swinging driver decently fast and I’m using Stack System with potential to swing up to 119mph. I don’t always get up there but I’m easily over 108 when I play. I have a moderate, easy tempo with my irons. 

Another positive, I don’t even worry about elbow soreness anymore. 

Hit these again and just can’t get behind the look of them. Too big for me. Wide soles, Meh, do not feel that great either 

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

• 2 weeks later...