Ping i230 pic

jwo

On 9/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, karstens_ghost said:

I've played standard before and found them too high (i200), and the 230's in Power are absolutely fine. They gap very evenly. I can't get my shorts to spin back, but I think that's the 230 head more than anything else.

Go for it. If you hate it, they can go back.

This is interesting and same thing I found. 

They have great numbers but no matter what I do, I feel they are lacking stopping power even in mid to short irons.

I was used to small cavity backs with great stopping power but these feels more in the like of low spin missiles which is just not a game I enjoy playing. 

I dont think i230 is a i210 replacement considering how much forgiveness they packed in, upped the launch and lowered the spin. 

5 hours ago, Brokensticks said:

This is interesting and same thing I found. 

They have great numbers but no matter what I do, I feel they are lacking stopping power even in mid to short irons.

I was used to small cavity backs with great stopping power but these feels more in the like of low spin missiles which is just not a game I enjoy playing. 

I dont think i230 is a i210 replacement considering how much forgiveness they packed in, upped the launch and lowered the spin. 

I still stand by what I said above, but after several months of ownership I should clarify one thing. I'm happy my short irons don't spin back. They always just dead-stop where they are. I've had a few settle in their own pitch marks. This is neither a good or bad thing; it's just something I like and I'm used to. They are definitely lower spin for me, but not by a bunch. They're more piercing than my Blueprints; the ball sizzles hard on the way out. My miss is an unexpected draw/hook, but I think that has had a lot to do with me, and with Blueprints that will do anything but go left.

If you're considering a blended set, even with the upcoming S/Ts, the 5 and 6 irons of this set are *excellent*. I might still redeploy my OGBP 8-9-P this summer, but it's got to warm up. Come on summer...

If it's the short irons where you want a lot of spin, these may not be the short irons for you. They're very predictable, but they won't rip back for me. They probably won't rip back for anyone without a false front. And honestly they still look gigantic to me. They don't "perform" like they're "big". It's me. They are very comforting in some ways, but if you play off firm ground, make sure you power spec them. Based on what I've seen, I'd tell any and everyone that power spec should be your first thought. And also, I have yet to have a ball unexpectedly bound through forward or out the back of a green. Even the 5-iron; had a shot Sunday at 172m, and stuck it 12ft - and it's within a foot of its pitch mark. Handy to fix them that way; you rarely search. 🙂

Also we were all a bit worried about the backs of the 230s. I've seen no wear at all. For the record, I use neoprene iron covers. I do that mostly because I use an MGI remote control cart, but the club heads still look mint on the back. The rest have regular use, and they're still pretty durable as you'd expect from that process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

I still stand by what I said above, but after several months of ownership I should clarify one thing. I'm happy my short irons don't spin back. They always just dead-stop where they are. I've had a few settle in their own pitch marks. This is neither a good or bad thing; it's just something I like and I'm used to. They are definitely lower spin for me, but not by a bunch. They're more piercing than my Blueprints; the ball sizzles hard on the way out. My miss is an unexpected draw/hook, but I think that has had a lot to do with me, and with Blueprints that will do anything but go left.

If you're considering a blended set, even with the upcoming S/Ts, the 5 and 6 irons of this set are *excellent*. I might still redeploy my OGBP 8-9-P this summer, but it's got to warm up. Come on summer...

If it's the short irons where you want a lot of spin, these may not be the short irons for you. They're very predictable, but they won't rip back for me. They probably won't rip back for anyone without a false front. And honestly they still look gigantic to me. They don't "perform" like they're "big". It's me. They are very comforting in some ways, but if you play off firm ground, make sure you power spec them. Based on what I've seen, I'd tell any and everyone that power spec should be your first thought. And also, I have yet to have a ball unexpectedly bound through forward or out the back of a green. Even the 5-iron; had a shot Sunday at 172m, and stuck it 12ft - and it's within a foot of its pitch mark. Handy to fix them that way; you rarely search. 🙂

Also we were all a bit worried about the backs of the 230s. I've seen no wear at all. For the record, I use neoprene iron covers. I do that mostly because I use an MGI remote control cart, but the club heads still look mint on the back. The rest have regular use, and they're still pretty durable as you'd expect from that process.

Very similar experience for me. I was playing G400 & G425 irons and tried to play the i210's (got my handicap down to 4) and I went from hitting my 9i about 148-150 (with G400/425) to hitting the i210 9i about 135-137 carry and ripping it back to 128-130. That was not for me. Hated that. Same courses two years later and my i230 PS 9i flies pretty much the same 135-137 and just sticks right where it lands. PW, 125... same thing, not ripping back. Not as long as the G series irons, and you can tell in their flight they are spinning more, but the i230's feel "just right". 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Yeah thats kinda the thing, 4-6 iron feels really good. Just as much help I would want in a reasonable small package but in the short irons I want some additional stopping power. I usually play at different courses so my home course has those really soft greens that are fast when putting, here they are fine.

I try to play with a friend at his "home course" aswell and its the opposite with rock hard greens that are well drained so little moisture. Even a high launched 9i can roll out and most of the time you dont even find a ballmark.

The new Blueprints are really interesting. I really like the sole design of Ping since Im naturally shallow but I can go really aggressive and it just slips right thru, hopefully that is a thing on smaller soles as well.

• Like 1

So the consensus is the i230s spin 2-400 less loft per loft and pickup up some ball speed compared the the i210?

I played the i210s in power spec for 2 years and had some great rounds……struggled a little in the wind due to high spin  and my inability to flight them down.  Hoping the changes to the i230 solves this.

• Like 1

I20s with S300s were the best irons I've played (neck and neck with MP53s)

I just ordered a set of I230 with S300.

I think they are going to be perfect.  My draw turns into a hook when I get nervous / quick and these apparently don't turn over as easily.

I've been on the T100 / T100s / T150 train for 4 years I have to realize I'm not good enough for them anymore with real life stuff in the way.

I think these Pings are going to be amazing for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Qi10 10.5

Qi10 3 and 5 Wood

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

27 minutes ago, Jjones519a said:

im really leaning towards these for 2024.  For those who played these in 2023 are they staying in the bag? Why or why not?

Definitely staying for a while. They are very consistent and repeatable. There are a lot of things people want out of irons, but this is what I want. You hit it, it goes a number and stops. Anything else is uncivilised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

17 minutes ago, Jjones519a said:

im really leaning towards these for 2024.  For those who played these in 2023 are they staying in the bag? Why or why not?

Just read your post in the T150/i230 topic along with this one.  I posted a question in a the T150 thread.  

I’m trying to decide between T150, i230 and my current ZX5/7 combo.  Not 100% on the Srixon sole but do like the forgiveness. I like the size and feel of the i230. In most of the YouTube reviews the T150 has impressive ball speeds. 

I’m leaning i230 in power spec for the forgiveness but still not sure what I’ll do. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sniper said:

Just read your post in the T150/i230 topic along with this one.  I posted a question in a the T150 thread.  

I’m trying to decide between T150, i230 and my current ZX5/7 combo.  Not 100% on the Srixon sole but do like the forgiveness. I like the size and feel of the i230. In most of the YouTube reviews the T150 has impressive ball speeds. 

I’m leaning i230 in power spec for the forgiveness but still not sure what I’ll do. 

Unless you really want it in normal, I think PowerSpec is better for most players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jjones519a said:

I’ve been testing everything, trying to dethrone mine … but they’ve won out against everything I’ve thrown at them.

First of all, they’re super forgiving irons that spin. They’re not game improvement and they aren’t the spinniest heads on earth, but they do a better job of being a “best of both worlds” than anything else I’ve found.

Second, I love the rounded leading edge and the bounce. I nearly replaced my i230s with some PXG irons earlier this year, but the PXGs with their much sharper leading edges just dug trenches on me. The Pings seem to help me a ton when I get steep or catch one a little heavy. I especially love the UW — I play lots of little chips and pitches with it, back of stance low spinners.

I’m not the fastest swinger in the world but my home course is 6,700 yards, so I’m really not prioritizing distance at all. Still, I’d look at adding an i530 in the 4 and maybe 5 iron spots whenever it eventually comes out, just to space out the gapping a little more.

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I've had mine in play for around a month now and after initially doubting the shaft choice I had made (PX LS 6.0) I'm now delighted with them and my game is back to where it should be.

I previously played t100 (2021 version) and for a long while I loved them from the 6 iron down but ended up in a run of very high scores and just lost all confidence with them, I was struggling with missing greens and anything from more than 180 to the green was pot luck where it ended up.

In short, these are super forgiving especially in the long irons, but I'm finding them deadly accurate in the short irons, I've always drawn the ball but easily turned it into a hook but with these being slightly toe heavy I'm finding my ball flight is straighter and I can even hit a hint of a fade

Do they feel as good as my T100? NO, I also still prefer the shape and head size of the T100 but the performance and confidence that the i230 give me far outweigh this.

I only play once a week and practice at the range once a week and the last 3 months with my T100 I didn't break 80 once, the last 4 rounds have been 74, 73, 76 & 74 which I am more than happy with, I feel like I have my confidence back and these are staying in the bag for 2024 and probably even 2025!

• Like 3

On 10/18/2023 at 9:22 AM, nickosbad said:

I've had mine in play for around a month now and after initially doubting the shaft choice I had made (PX LS 6.0) I'm now delighted with them and my game is back to where it should be.

I previously played t100 (2021 version) and for a long while I loved them from the 6 iron down but ended up in a run of very high scores and just lost all confidence with them, I was struggling with missing greens and anything from more than 180 to the green was pot luck where it ended up.

In short, these are super forgiving especially in the long irons, but I'm finding them deadly accurate in the short irons, I've always drawn the ball but easily turned it into a hook but with these being slightly toe heavy I'm finding my ball flight is straighter and I can even hit a hint of a fade

Do they feel as good as my T100? NO, I also still prefer the shape and head size of the T100 but the performance and confidence that the i230 give me far outweigh this.

I only play once a week and practice at the range once a week and the last 3 months with my T100 I didn't break 80 once, the last 4 rounds have been 74, 73, 76 & 74 which I am more than happy with, I feel like I have my confidence back and these are staying in the bag for 2024 and probably even 2025!

I find the same with the short irons. Not entirely sure what Ping have done, but from 7 iron and in, these things are super accurate. I've always been fairly neutral in ball flight, but I can trust these with a baby draw as and when required.

Genuinely unsure how any other irons could be better. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 4:22 AM, nickosbad said:

1,000,000% 

I too came out of 2021 T100 irons that were very solid BUT with me not playing that often , I just wasn't as consistent or confident looking down on ....tried 223s for a few months but again something was just off. 

Having had i210s in 2021, the concept was just to find a set of those 4-UW ....however opportunity presented itself and now I'm SET for foreseeable future with irons !! 

17 minutes ago, sniper said:

I spent time comparing T150’s w/Modus 120 and i230 w/DG 120’s.  Distance was pretty close with slight edge to T150.  Dispersion was much better with i230.  I would power spec the i230 and expect to hit the same distance as T150. 

Now just need to decide if I’m ditching ZX5/7 for i230’s 🤔

Is zx5/zx7 combo ....mkii? If dialed with Srixon , I'd stick with ......minuscule gains ....and I'm PING AMBASSADOR!!! 😆 

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Talk to me.... v-sole , hot spots? The srixon DO spin lower, launch lower and have a shade less control compared to i230s...... they do feel smidge better and some like V sole through turf 

V-Sole. I got the ZX in March after a 5 season run with MP-18sc (i200 before those).  ZX felt a little clumsy through the turf.  Once our Bermuda was grown in and the ball sitting up they were fine.  Now that the grass is starting to go dormant it’s back to the same feeling.  

The ZX’s are the flattest I’ve ever hit the ball but no stopping issues. Higher launch/spin would be my only minor concern with i230. 

11 hours ago, sniper said:

V-Sole. I got the ZX in March after a 5 season run with MP-18sc (i200 before those).  ZX felt a little clumsy through the turf.  Once our Bermuda was grown in and the ball sitting up they were fine.  Now that the grass is starting to go dormant it’s back to the same feeling.  

The ZX’s are the flattest I’ve ever hit the ball but no stopping issues. Higher launch/spin would be my only minor concern with i230. 

From my experience,  i230 can be launched high and spin is very consistent but I've yet to see something balloning like with i210s..... firmish turf hasn't been an issue.....I've actually struggled from Bermuda rough ....which I'm rarely in .....passive brag!! 

• Like 2

I have played i20/25 for years before going with JDM irons. Just bought a set of i230 set from BST yesterday and cannot wait to play them.

How would i230 compare to i20/25 in terms of forgiveness and playability? 

Thanks!

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

1 hour ago, malelee21 said:

I have played i20/25 for years before going with JDM irons. Just bought a set of i230 set from BST yesterday and cannot wait to play them.

How would i230 compare to i20/25 in terms of forgiveness and playability? 

Thanks!

Better by all metrics, but the shaft will still have a great deal to do with feel.

• Like 1

So I'm playing the i210's now. They are great. I played them since 2018. But I am wondering if I should switch to the i230's? Seems like the i230's launch a little higher and spin slightly less? I wonder if it would be noticeable on the course? I do like the new grooves. I would switch if I would notice even a little bit of improvement.

Edited by ALIF
typo

$$$$

On 10/22/2023 at 10:37 AM, SwooshLT said:

From my experience,  i230 can be launched high and spin is very consistent but I've yet to see something balloning like with i210s..... firmish turf hasn't been an issue.....I've actually struggled from Bermuda rough ....which I'm rarely in .....passive brag!! 

Spent some time with my pro, Trackman, i230 demo and my ZX5/7’s today.  

I started out swinging terrible.  Starting it left and hooking it farther left.  My ZX 7 iron felt clunky through the turf, not solid, low spin and not great ball speed.  

i230 w/DG 120. Ball Speed and spin improved and not as bad left but still left. 

i230 w/AWT X.  Dispersion improved and lower launch and lower spin but ball speeds dropped. 

i230 w/Modus 105 S. Dispersion much better with good spin and higher ball speeds.  

Then my pro said you really need work on your path. You are way to in to out with a closed face.  We started working on swinging left and saw big improvements.  I said let me hit my Srixon again. Working on path my dispersion & spin improved, big jump in ball speed and much cleaner through the turf.  Pro liked me better in the Srixon but said it’s worth revisiting as my path improves.  

Still like the i230 but not making any changes at the moment.  I do slightly prefer the shape of the Srixon’s. 

I did hit my Pro’s 24 Apex CB. It’s a nice one too.