2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

29 minutes ago, sniper said:

Spent some time with my pro, Trackman, i230 demo and my ZX5/7’s today.  

I started out swinging terrible.  Starting it left and hooking it farther left.  My ZX 7 iron felt clunky through the turf, not solid, low spin and not great ball speed.  

i230 w/DG 120. Ball Speed and spin improved and not as bad left but still left. 

i230 w/AWT X.  Dispersion improved and lower launch and lower spin but ball speeds dropped. 

i230 w/Modus 105 S. Dispersion much better with good spin and higher ball speeds.  

Then my pro said you really need work on your path. You are way to in to out with a closed face.  We started working on swinging left and saw big improvements.  I said let me hit my Srixon again. Working on path my dispersion & spin improved, big jump in ball speed and much cleaner through the turf.  Pro liked me better in the Srixon but said it’s worth revisiting as my path improves.  

Still like the i230 but not making any changes at the moment.  I do slightly prefer the shape of the Srixon’s. 

I did hit my Pro’s 24 Apex CB. It’s a nice one too. 

Thats a good idea

were you hitting off turf or mats?  Zx7 sole is love or hate.  I loved it off a mat and it gave me indoor numbers that no other club could beat (high ball speed and optimal spin).  I never could figure it out off grass.

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Thats a good idea

were you hitting off turf or mats?  Zx7 sole is love or hate.  I loved it off a mat and it gave me indoor numbers that no other club could beat (high ball speed and optimal spin).  I never could figure it out off grass.

Off turf today but off mat when originally fit. 

• Like 1

Can anyone comment on how noticeable the offset changes visually from address when going to power spec in the i230?  I've played a set 5-U all season and loved them.  However, now that it's offseason tinkering time, I'm considering power spec to get some more pop out of the mid irons so I can gap a little better from 7 iron down into my fairway metals.  I love the look from address in standard spec, and my concern with power spec is the added offset might be off-putting and stoke some fears of the left miss. 

17 minutes ago, Cameaux said:

Can anyone comment on how noticeable the offset changes visually from address when going to power spec in the i230?  I've played a set 5-U all season and loved them.  However, now that it's offseason tinkering time, I'm considering power spec to get some more pop out of the mid irons so I can gap a little better from 7 iron down into my fairway metals.  I love the look from address in standard spec, and my concern with power spec is the added offset might be off-putting and stoke some fears of the left miss. 

Im pretty sensitive to offset and in general don’t like it.

that being said I didn’t really notice a difference between power spec and standard spec offset in my I210s.

• Like 1

I don't like offset and I have the 7-PW in Power Spec. I don't have any complaints with the offset on them. I did previously have the 5 & 6 iron in power spec though and I didn't care for them. I don't know why Ping goes so aggressive with the offset progression in the longer irons. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Tensei AV White 85x

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Played i230 for the first time today (105 S300) and found ball flight to be too high, which caused at least 10 yards loss in distance. Also, R105 stiff shaft felt just like regular shaft. 

I am thinking about going power spec to gain a bit more distance. 

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

On 11/2/2023 at 4:00 PM, coreyhr said:

I don't like offset and I have the 7-PW in Power Spec. I don't have any complaints with the offset on them. I did previously have the 5 & 6 iron in power spec though and I didn't care for them. I don't know why Ping goes so aggressive with the offset progression in the longer irons. 

Results 

• Like 1

I am thinking about giving the i230 a go. My main concern is the high CG. As a picker, my miss is a bit thin and I'm working on getting a bit steeper. My club is fully paspalum which tends to give you more "spongy"  fairway lies so a club with a higher CG might be better when struck well. 

How do these perform on thin strikes?

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

1 hour ago, JStang said:

I am thinking about giving the i230 a go. My main concern is the high CG. As a picker, my miss is a bit thin and I'm working on getting a bit steeper. My club is fully paspalum which tends to give you more "spongy"  fairway lies so a club with a higher CG might be better when struck well. 

I would say while they measure with a high cog, they perform much more like a low cog, high moi iron.  They launch and spin the ball high for the category of iron it is.

2 hours ago, Dallas said:

Does anyone have any information on how long it is currently taking Ping to ship out custom i230 orders?

That's a good question. I'm testing some i230's soon so I'm curious what the current lead time is as well.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 70g TX
3w: Ping G430 MAX 15° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 80g TX

2i: Srixon Zx7 UT 105Tx 

4-7: Srixon Zx7 MKii DG X7

8-PW: Srixon Z-Forged II DG X7

50°: TaylorMade MG4 DG X100

54°: TaylorMade MG4 DG X100

58°: Ping Glide 4.0 6T DG S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select GoLo 6

I made it to Golf Galaxy yesterday and hit the i230 with X100 and thought they were nice! Once I got warmed up, the ball speed was great (passive brag 130 mph) and the spin was in the mid-high 6k's. I don't see them being any better or worse than my current T100 irons which is a good thing! 

I didn't have my club or the time to do a proper head to head but thought they were great! I may do a proper iron fitting in the near future and will definitely consider these. 

• Like 1

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

17 hours ago, JustAPlusGuy said:

That's a good question. I'm testing some i230's soon so I'm curious what the current lead time is as well.

I ordered a set of 5 - U wedge with Recoil Dart 75's in F2 flex (+ 1/2") four weeks ago yesterday and was told two weeks which did not happen.

Called the shop on Monday and they were told by Ping that the all the clubs were built except for the seven iron as they were out of seven iron shafts.  

They said they could ship what was built but all the seven iron shafts got used up in fitting carts which seems a little bizarre.

I mean every manufacturer on earth has been using seven irons in their fitting carts since the beginning of fitting systems so why wouldn't that have factored that into their initial ordering of shafts?

At any rate I told them to ship what they had but have yet to receive a shipping notification.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

2 hours ago, vernon said:

I ordered a set of 5 - U wedge with Recoil Dart 75's in F2 flex (+ 1/2") four weeks ago yesterday and was told two weeks which did not happen.

Called the shop on Monday and they were told by Ping that the all the clubs were built except for the seven iron as they were out of seven iron shafts.  

They said they could ship what was built but all the seven iron shafts got used up in fitting carts which seems a little bizarre.

I mean every manufacturer on earth has been using seven irons in their fitting carts since the beginning of fitting systems so why wouldn't that have factored that into their initial ordering of shafts?

At any rate I told them to ship what they had but have yet to receive a shipping notification.

Wow, that's wild. Hopefully you get them soon!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JustAPlusGuy said:

Wow, that's wild. Hopefully you get them soon!

I hope so too. Still no shipping notification though.

Think I'll call again today to make sure the request to ship the ones that are built made it through.

Currently no "pro" at the course I ordered them through so the superintendent is wearing both hats most likely until spring.

Good guy that seems to be doing a pretty good job but still not his first language!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

13 hours ago, vernon said:

I hope so too. Still no shipping notification though.

Think I'll call again today to make sure the request to ship the ones that are built made it through.

Currently no "pro" at the course I ordered them through so the superintendent is wearing both hats most likely until spring.

Good guy that seems to be doing a pretty good job but still not his first language!

First time I've ever heard of a Superintendent running the course as a head pro. Guess if he can manage then why not, until someone is found.

11 hours ago, JustAPlusGuy said:

First time I've ever heard of a Superintendent running the course as a head pro. Guess if he can manage then why not, until someone is found.

Yeah it's saving them a chunk of money and with winter on the doorstep I guess why not?

Of course this is a facility that since covid still has never even reopened its food and beverage operation on weekends for cryin' out loud.

You can get a can of beer, soda or a bottle of water out of the little refrigerator behind the pro shop counter and that's it.

Burgers and stuff is available Monday thru Friday from 11:00 - 1:30.

Pretty nice little eighteen hole golf course too.

Patrons don't seem to mind since they pretty much all just bring their own coolers and nobody seems to care.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:28 AM, JStang said:

It's a big reason why these irons are staying in my bag. Thin strikes are slightly punished but playable.

1 hour ago, Foreleft said:

I find my i230’s to be more draw biased than my i200’s.  Thinking of flattening lie by a degree.  Anyone else notice this?  

PS - same shafts in both.

I found quite the opposite. The extra toe weight made them more fade bias for me. You could always add a heavier toe weight. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, LHGolf4 said:

I ordered mine from Discount Dan’s on October 16th.  They got them from PING in 2 weeks and then they shipped them on to me.  

That's awesome! Discount Dan's may be the way to go. 🤔

I ordered from DD's 12 days ago and just got shipping confirmation. If shipping stays on schedule, I should have them two weeks after placing my order.  

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I hit these at the range today after an injury layoff (knee is still really sore) and they are amazingly forgiving for their size.

I was getting a bit annoyed at my inability to strike it anywhere near the middle and all the funky ball flights I was producing, but then I realised that the dispersion was good considering the mess of a swing I was putting on it.

• Like 1

PING i230 sure seem to bring in the buzz as I have always wondered why they are so popular. It's easy I'm sure its because they are that good. This is as close as I came to getting them. I order some i525's 6-PW from PING and once they arrived I wanted the 5 iron. PING mistakenly sent me an i230 5 iron as OK it was an error nobody is perfect but would I really like how it  looked and felt but never hit it. PING took care of the problem and had me an i525 5 iron in 3 days. Pretty darn quick. 

The when I read these thread about how nice the feel better than the i525's and they are not even forged made me wondering more but I never pulled the trigger as there was just something about that tiny gap in the back of the badge that turned me off. Oh well glad they are as popular as they are as PING does make some fantastic equipment and so does just about everyone else too.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip