2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Shortest time you've owned a club and why

Vater

Solid 2 minutes after switching Titleist U500 with the U505 - throwing up from every second of the way due to the visuals of it. Performance-wise, probably great - but far f**kin’ from it for me. Sold it immediately & Went hunting for yet another fantastic but discontinued U500. #GrassIsNotGreenerOnTheOtherSide

• Like 1

probably a 7 wood that lasted maybe a month.  Wanted to fill the gap between my 3w and 4h by slotting that in between and changing the loft of the 4h from *20 to *23 to replace my 5i that I was struggling with. To my surprise I discovered that I hit my 4h FURTHER at the higher loft which pretty much erased the need for the 7w as their ranges overlapped a little too much.  Sort of a failed experiment but it ended up working out

TSi2 15* 3wd w/ AD-DI shaft in it: <18hrs. 

Bought it bc of the shaft, knowing full well that I have not had luck with that shaft, but it was a regular price with a fully upgraded shaft. I figured I'd at worst sell it off for parts and make some money off of it. Went directly to the range that night and SUCKED with it, just worm burners and bad strikes the whole time. I'm used to Diamana blue type profiles (stiffer but, softer mid section, firm tip). Whatever the characteristics of the AD-DI are, I flat out can't hit it, it feels foreign to me. 

Ended up returning it the next day after my round as I didn't want to hassle with the selling. I found the LTDx w/ Hzrdus Blue, got it exchanged and some cash back, and it was like I'd owned it for years.

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

1st place goes to...TM GAPR.  Made it through one range session before it went up for sale.  Absolutely hated the feel.

2nd place goes to...Cleveland CBX wedge.  Played one tournament round with it and posted my worst tourney score ever because of that damn thing.  Snapped it over my knee on #18 and trashed it after I signed my scorecard.

I had a set of Taylormade P770 irons back in the day, hit them at the range and sold them in less than a week. Just wasn't for me.

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

9 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

This is the exact story that I remembered when I saw the thread title!  I knew there was a WRX'er who had sold a club before they even took delivery of said club!

Hall of Fame stuff, right there. 

I think there is a few of us haha.

I know the one thread this came up last time the guy who bought it off me even jumped in to confirm and say he liked the putter lol.

I bet I've bought 20 putters in the last decade and still use a beat up Ping Ketsch lol.

• Haha 2

p790 4 iron: got it and took it to the range, thought it would be more forgiving and easier to launch than a blade/ players cavity.  played 1 round with it and hit it a bunch off tees etc..  Felt horrible to me, less forgiving than a blade off heel strikes...took it back.  

jpx 919 tour set:  10 days. was prepared to sacrifice some looks and feel for a little more forgiveness and force myself to get over the offset.  Clubs arrived with lofts and lies all over the place.  iirc the 9 iron was 4 degrees strong, the 8 iron 1 degree weak etc... I thought the offset on the 9 iron looked way much.  After 2 rounds struggling to control distance I took them in and found out the issue.  Mizuno offered to bend them back to spec but I told them I didn't want irons that had been bent so severely already.  Bought some mp18s and couldn't be happier. 

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TM BRNR 13.5* hzrdus gen4 black 6.5 70g 43.75"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

Cobra Speedzone 3 wood. 

Big draw, big fade, pull, push. Literally a 100y wide dispersion. It's the only club I've hit "well" but had absolutely no idea where it was going to go. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

So I probably won't compete with anyone here, I tend to play clubs until they truely don't work or the next season. I am not one to change frequently

But I do have a good story. I had bought new wedge for the season, new 56 degree newer model than the previous but same brand and model family. Had been playing the club for several weeks when "the" incident happened that I am describing today. I had struggled with the club in the past but it hadn't left yet, well this day I was over the water (150 yards) forced carry, I hit a 9 iron, missed the green, I had gotten over but was short and pushing towards the water. Next shot I chip with the aformentioned 56 and chunk it, ok, let me reset and try again. I chunk it a total of three times to get on the green that was 10 feet in front of my ball position when i started this disastour. I am now on the green, and calmly turn torwards the water, nice throw make it about 35 yards before you see the splash. Club is done, I have now officially retired it.

Well I meet up with my playing partner, his response is the reason this story is being told. "I'm not shocked it happened, I am more suprised it took this long"

Thats the story of the time I should have gotten rid of a club a lot faster

• Like 1

Vokey 58* M grind. Was recommended by the online wedge selector tool, and did not like it at all. Maybe cause I’m in AZ, but def was too much bounce for what I was looking for. Returned it after 2 days (range and round). 

What's In The Bag

TaylorMade Qi10 LS | Tensei Black 65X

Callaway Rogue ST LS | Ventus Blue 7X

Callaway Apex UW | Ventus Blue 8X

Mizuno Pro 225 | DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M | DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

TaylorMade TP5x

Callaway Rogue ST Max driver. Got fit for it and I am pretty sure the guys fubbed the numbers to get me excited. Took it to the course a few times and I noticeably lost 10-15 yards every drive. Switched back to my Ping and sold it on eBay two weeks later. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 60 6.0

3 Wood: Ping G410 LST 14.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 70 6.0

5 wood: Ping G430 MAX 18 degrees Diamana GT 70S

4-PW: Ping i230 Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (52, 56), Ping Glide 2.0 (60) Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Putter: Piretti 801R Tour Only 303SS Prototype

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I had a driver for as long as it took to drive from the store, play a round, and drive back to the store.  

I went to AZ to play some golf before adjustbale drivers were a thing, 2007 ish.  Landed in PHX with a broken driver, and headed to a shop that had a driving range attached.  Hit a few drivers, and had a salesman come over and say I know what you need.  Handed me a Taylormade Tour Burner TP (or something like that) and I was hitting it pretty well but nothing amazing.  I told him I'd be back after the round or the next day becuase I didn't think it was right.  He said if I bought it and didn't love it on the course he'd take it back.  On the course it was low hard hooks all day. So on the way to dinner it went back.  

4 hours ago, CynicalFly27 said:

Callaway Rogue ST Max driver. Got fit for it and I am pretty sure the guys fubbed the numbers to get me excited. Took it to the course a few times and I noticeably lost 10-15 yards every drive. Switched back to my Ping and sold it on eBay two weeks later. 

Your Username checks out!😂

The only time I’ve ever been fit for a driver it was for a callaway 815 double black diamond that I used my course credit for. I tested a bunch of drivers at that time and I didn’t buy the club from the fitter so I don’t believe the guy fudged the numbers, I just think Callaway sent out juiced heads to fitters because I wasn’t the only one that summer that had the same problem. After 2 days of hitting side by side with my older driver it was gone to the bay. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:47 PM, T McComish said:

So I probably won't compete with anyone here, I tend to play clubs until they truely don't work or the next season. I am not one to change frequently

But I do have a good story. I had bought new wedge for the season, new 56 degree newer model than the previous but same brand and model family. Had been playing the club for several weeks when "the" incident happened that I am describing today. I had struggled with the club in the past but it hadn't left yet, well this day I was over the water (150 yards) forced carry, I hit a 9 iron, missed the green, I had gotten over but was short and pushing towards the water. Next shot I chip with the aformentioned 56 and chunk it, ok, let me reset and try again. I chunk it a total of three times to get on the green that was 10 feet in front of my ball position when i started this disastour. I am now on the green, and calmly turn torwards the water, nice throw make it about 35 yards before you see the splash. Club is done, I have now officially retired it.

Well I meet up with my playing partner, his response is the reason this story is being told. "I'm not shocked it happened, I am more suprised it took this long"

Thats the story of the time I should have gotten rid of a club a lot faster

You can mention the word "Vokey" on here...

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

4 hours ago, airjammer said:

Your Username checks out!😂

The only time I’ve ever been fit for a driver it was for a callaway 815 double black diamond that I used my course credit for. I tested a bunch of drivers at that time and I didn’t buy the club from the fitter so I don’t believe the guy fudged the numbers, I just think Callaway sent out juiced heads to fitters because I wasn’t the only one that summer that had the same problem. After 2 days of hitting side by side with my older driver it was gone to the bay. 

Yeah, I have heard of multiple people getting fit into the Rogue ST Max and noticing a significant performance drop-off on the course. 

• Sad 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 60 6.0

3 Wood: Ping G410 LST 14.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 70 6.0

5 wood: Ping G430 MAX 18 degrees Diamana GT 70S

4-PW: Ping i230 Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (52, 56), Ping Glide 2.0 (60) Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Putter: Piretti 801R Tour Only 303SS Prototype

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I had a few Adams hybrids that I loved.  9031 to be specific. Wanted to try the super ls. Heard it was a canon and it came with a Mitsubishi shaft, a kurocage black that I thought might be similar to the Mitsubishi 82 diamana whites the 9031 came with.

I got a mortar instead of the canon I wanted.  Wow nothing but super high flight and not the distance I wanted.  Some day a 9031 will grace my bag again but the ls super never even saw it.  Back to the shop as soon as I could.   

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I can't recall specifically what club, but I've bought clubs before, hit them 4 times and stuck them away for the sale pile. If it doesn't wow me right out of the gates it's usually gone. Guess that's why I have so much feedback here 🤣

Edited by davo32683

Nothing is safe in my bag!

On 7/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, OsnolaKinnard said:

I had a 13.5* Titleist 975F with a DG S300 that for me was just unhittable.  It had the sweet spot the size of a quark.

i had it for about  2 hours and traded it in on a Callaway Steelhead 4+.

I had the same club but in 15* as a junior, used to think I was Tiger Woods with it and loved it

• Like 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

3 rounds with a stroke lab naked 2 ball slant. Made a few putts with a friends putter that had the line. In my infinite wisdom decided to go naked and thought about striping it later. After many short misses, turned to WRX and found a Plumbers neck Taylormade Delmonte and have been 6-7 strokes gained in the 5 rounds using it. Anyone want a stroke lab 😂

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X