2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Hogan Closed Again

Bad9

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Basically the licensing fee's. Golf's margins are thin and if you're paying a licensing fee on top of that it's even thinner hence why more than a few have tried and failed at reviving the Hogan brand of clubs.  I also don't think the name resonates with the younger generation of golfers like it does with mine so it has even less value.  I think if Callaway kept the Hogan name it could have been cool.

Apex?

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping i230 4 - UW (pwrspc)| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 R

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 56*/mid, 60*/low| Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Wedge
Odyssey AI-ONE #7 CH
Srixon Z Star

1 hour ago, J13 said:

I also don't think the name resonates with the younger generation of golfers like it does with mine so it has even less value.  I think if Callaway kept the Hogan name it could have been cool.

The part I bolded was true in the early 2000's when Callaway got the Hogan name in the Spalding deal. The mystique of the name was already gone by that time as a market factor. despite the nostalgia for the name no one was buying the clubs and there were some very good clubs brought out under the Callaway ownership-the Apex Plus would still be a competitive club today in the players cavity market. I had a set back then and it was the only set of Hogans I ever saw on a golf course.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

15 minutes ago, pjc said:

Apex?

Callaway kept certain IP like Apex but not the Hogan name.  

10 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

The part I bolded was true in the early 2000's when Callaway got the Hogan name in the Spalding deal. The mystique of the name was already gone by that time as a market factor. despite the nostalgia for the name no one was buying the clubs and there were some very good clubs brought out under the Callaway ownership-the Apex Plus would still be a competitive club today in the players cavity market. I had a set back then and it was the only set of Hogans I ever saw on a golf course.

Yep exactly.  

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

I have a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons I bought on a whim a few years ago.  Haven't hit them yet, lol.  IMO they are the nicest looking irons I've ever owned. 

The Apex 19 I currently play are a nod to the Hogan line, at least Callaway kept some acknowledgment of the great name they purchased.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

33 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

I have a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons I bought on a whim a few years ago.  Haven't hit them yet, lol.  IMO they are the nicest looking irons I've ever owned. 

Why haven't you hit them yet???  I mean hell, just try 'em on the range...

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Why haven't you hit them yet???  I mean hell, just try 'em on the range...

That's a good question I don't have the answer to.  I was all fired up when I got them and I've meant to take them but whenever I've gone to the range I'm working on something specific.  All I've done so far is fondle them, haven't even hit chips and pitches in the back yard.

Maybe in the spring, lol.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

• 9 months later...

Old thread.  Not sure if anyone has posted anything about it but I'm now seeing that the Ben Hogan web page is saying that Perry Ellis International and Golf Brands Inc have a licensing deal for the Ben Hogan brand name and are expecting a release in November.  I have no clue how long that announcement has been up.

Edited by cardigan

12 minutes ago, cardigan said:

Old thread.  Not sure if anyone has posted anything about it but I'm now seeing that the Ben Hogan web page is saying that Perry Ellis International and Golf Brands Inc have a licensing deal for the Ben Hogan brand name and are expecting a release in November.  I have no clue how long that announcement has been up.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sacks-parente-golf-names-golf-industry-veteran-scott-white-as-its-chief-operating-officer-1032688670?op=1

2 minutes ago, me05501 said:

They'd be smart to do high-quality forged irons reminiscent of their classic designs and that's it. There's a market for that. Not so much with woods, putters, wedges, etc. 

I’ve said that from day one. Instead they came out with the Scor based models(which appear to have been quite good) which had nothing to do with Ben Hogan and totally missed the nostalgia aspect which I think would have been a great selling point. I think that has largely gone now though.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Jag80 said:

How much profit would they make from forged MB and CB models?  If they would just be buying "house brands" from a forging house, maybe some.. Clothing would probably make more than any club they sell.

I agree. I think their clubs should be niche but there's a big opportunity in apparel. 

I suspect there's an undiscovered market segment halfway between modern irons and hickories...something that would really appeal to the guys playing minimalist golf out of retro bags. Offer all odds or all even sets. No high tech shaft options. Everything custom/bespoke. If you dabble in woods, maybe persimmons. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I agree. I think their clubs should be niche but there's a big opportunity in apparel. 

I suspect there's an undiscovered market segment halfway between modern irons and hickories...something that would really appeal to the guys playing minimalist golf out of retro bags. Offer all odds or all even sets. No high tech shaft options. Everything custom/bespoke. If you dabble in woods, maybe persimmons. 

Ben Hogan apparel has been in Walmart(at least in Canada) for around 10yr, maybe longer

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Interesting. Someone must own the international rights cause we don’t see that here in the states. 

Its actually pretty good stuff, not stupid thin and clingy like some are.

• Like 2

“Wait a minute..  THAT’S THE WARRIOR’S MUSIC”

I’ve been playing the original PTx for 6 years, so I’m very excited to see what comes of this

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

On 12/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, Bad9 said:
On 12/14/2022 at 3:51 PM, J13 said:

I also don't think the name resonates with the younger generation of golfers like it does with mine so it has even less value.  I think if Callaway kept the Hogan name it could have been cool.

+100. I'm one of those old guys. Played Hogan irons off and on in the 70s and 80s. Just superlative. The Apex then was what my Mizzy irons are to me now. But you guys nailed the crux of the problem.

A lot of the younger generation barely even knows that there were such a thing as Hogan clubs (in fact, some only vaguely know who Ben Hogan himself was). They certainly aren't something being talked about on HS team clubhouses (for instance), and I can't remember the last time I saw them stocked in a big box store. They just aren't relevant to young golfers.

But even to the old guys, for whom the name used to mean something significant, Hogans haven't really been "Hogans" for a couple of decades. They are no longer what we associated with what we thought of as Hogan clubs - they are now just sorta clubs with "Hogan" stamped on them by whatever random marketing department currently happens to have the trademark rights to the legacy brand. Which is worth less and less as the years pass. IMO, Hogan has been functionally dead for some little time now. And despite a few half-hearted attempts, I don't see anyone likely to successfully resurrect it.

Last time I saw someone actually gaming them on a course was a couple years ago. Guy that looked to be in his 70s playing (no kidding) original Apex IIs. Brought back fond memories. Felt sweet, close to the current Mizzy butter. Beautiful, almost razor thin topline. Offset about as close to zero as you can get. Players clubs. Big problem being, of course, that they had a sweet spot the approximate size of a pea. You were in heaven when you flushed one, but you spent a lot of your rounds in hell 😂.

Good times. Good times. 

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Obviously there is money to be made in the "other" clubs like Drivers, Fairways, hybrids but I always thought that was part of the downfall of this latest iteration of Hogan. I am sure someone with more knowledge could tell me otherwise but I guess I see high level irons and wedges being easier to re-produce and compete with the major OEMs. I love my PTxPros and most things Ben Hogan but I never once thought about buying their woods. Seemed like a waste of tooling and resources to try to get into that market. 

But what do I know, Sub70, Haywood and Takomo all are making drivers so there must be some research or information that says that is a money making endeavor. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1