2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i210 Fans...Wait for i230s or buy the i525s?

The Frase

1 hour ago, The Frase said:

@ckguy914

I would say that I am a casual competitive player.   Yes, there will be music playing and beers flowing, and we have a lot of fun, but I will grind and try to beat my friends and break 80 every time I play.  Has not been a very good 2022 as I went from a 4.5 last year to a 9 this year.  Back down to a 7 but still way too many mid 80s rounds for my liking.  I honestly think the increased distances, higher launch, and forgiveness will help the cause, and I will be back on track going into '23.  Would like to get back to under a 5 by the end of the year but that may be a stretch especially if there is a delay in production and build.  Have to get these ordered soon. 

I was a 4.5 that is now a 6.2 and am very much considering the i525.  I currently play 921 F and played a P790 in rentals few weeks ago and loved the forgiveness on toe hits.  Since then had my sights on P790.  When at GG I hit i525 and fell in love.  May not even wait for i230. The forgiveness will be greater in 525.  That thick sole kinda scares me but if it helps me, I’m in 

I kinda have a hankering for the new level 902PD too, tho. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 4 weeks later...

To the OP, did you go for the i525 or did you stay with the i210s?

I'm a long time Ping irons player (i3 blade that I still keep, i10, i15 B grind, i25 and currently iE1) and now I'm looking for an upgrade.

The best ones I had where the i15 B Grind with KBS Tour shafts. My current iE1 have stock Ping shafts.

I play 10 handicap regularly, my best handicap was 6.7, my 7i distance is ~155yds +5/-10 with a high trajectory but average spin.

I'm happy with the iE1s, but I want an upgrade because... "reasons" 🙄.

I would go for the i210 if that's recommended, I have no issues buying a used set, most of them have the sweet spot untouched.

@Esteban_M

I am still using the i210s, but think I will be ordering the i525s soon.  I think the i230s will be quite similar to what I already have and since i am looking for more distance and more launch, I think the i525s are just what the doctor ordered.  Now trying to determine what shafts to go with.  Hit the Project X IOs pretty solid outdoors and then hit the Steel Fiber i95s and the Nippon 950 GH the best inside.

Going to PGA store soon and will make final decision then.  I hit the Taylor Made 770s on a whim and really like them but I think long term, Ping is the way to go. 

• Like 2

As I understand it the i525 heads will give you a mid trajectory, but the Nippon 950 GH shaft would compensate and send the ball high, so you end up with a mid-high ball flight (I buy that any day of the week).

I'm looking into the Modus 105, but maybe the Nippon 950 GH is a good alternative (I've been playing Nippon NS PRO ¿1180GH? in my wedges for a decade now).

Edited by Esteban_M
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, ChipLife said:

I've played both the Gen 4 Ps and i525s this year. For me, the Ps felt/sounded much better but found the i525s to be a hair more forgiving. I also prefered looking down at the i525s. Both sets are great!

Very interesting as I had the Gen 4 XP which I wasn't a big fan of the offset or thick top line as I almost traded and was going with the P model and switch from MMT shafts to the Accra iseries but it didn't happen as I started with this game with PING's over25 some years ago and plan on finishing up with PINGS. Plus I see more seniors that still get out and play are still using their PING EYE 2 irons.  

I'm glad I bought some PXG's especially at the hero's big price drop as I feel for those that paid over $300 for an iron when they 1st came out. Justify all you want as PXG are very nice but not for the original asking price when they 1st come out. So lets talk about feel as that is different for everyone but to me lets say yes PXG feel softer but the i525's feel powerful.  

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, Ping does not offer the Nippon 950GH so at this point I am leaning towards the Steel Fiber i95.  Depending upon up charge, I may go all in as I have enjoyed my i110s, but maybe I should go with the True Temper MPH at 95 grams as they are supposed to be high launch and high spin which I need.  Decisions, decisions...

15 hours ago, The Frase said:

Sadly, Ping does not offer the Nippon 950GH so at this point I am leaning towards the Steel Fiber i95.  Depending upon up charge, I may go all in as I have enjoyed my i110s, but maybe I should go with the True Temper MPH at 95 grams as they are supposed to be high launch and high spin which I need.  Decisions, decisions...

I demo'd these with the SF i95 R and really enjoyed them.  Was getting my distances plus a bit more and height was on point. They looked great as well.  

This decision is based completely around what you're looking for and how you can maximize your carry and spin profile. I've owned both, I noticed pretty similar launch windows with more spin in the i210s but about 10 more yards of distance in the i525s. If you're generating too much spin with the i210s, the the i525 would be a good option. If you're looking for more yardage, then the i525 would be a good option. However, if you like the carry, launch, and spin you're seeing with your i210s I would wait on the i230.

• Like 1

I personally would wait to hit the i230 before doing anything.  I thought the i500 was the best performing iron ever made for me.  The sound / feel were awful and why I pre-ordered the i525 the second I could.  The i525 was one of the worst irons I ever played.  Definitely the fastest I've ever sold an iron set.  

I'm in i59 now and am lukewarm about them.  Waiting to hit the i230 as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blazman11 said:

I personally would wait to hit the i230 before doing anything.  I thought the i500 was the best performing iron ever made for me.  The sound / feel were awful and why I pre-ordered the i525 the second I could.  The i525 was one of the worst irons I ever played.  Definitely the fastest I've ever sold an iron set.  

I'm in i59 now and am lukewarm about them.  Waiting to hit the i230 as well.

If the i525 were the worse irons you ever played and your lukewarm about the i59's don't bother with the i230's. It's obvious that PING irons don't work well with you as I'm coming from TM P790's, Srixon ZX5's, PXG 0311 Gen 4 XF as I think the i525's have been game changers for me. All the others were also very nice as well but my i525's are ones that I'm most pleased with but then maybe it's because when I first started golfing it was with PING irons and now the plan is to finish my golfing adventure with PING's. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 10/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

If the i525 were the worse irons you ever played and your lukewarm about the i59's don't bother with the i230's. It's obvious that PING irons don't work well with you as I'm coming from TM P790's, Srixon ZX5's, PXG 0311 Gen 4 XF as I think the i525's have been game changers for me. All the others were also very nice as well but my i525's are ones that I'm most pleased with but then maybe it's because when I first started golfing it was with PING irons and now the plan is to finish my golfing adventure with PING's. 

So by your logic you should never play TM, Srixon or PXG again.  

The i525 is a huge departure from what Ping had in the i500.  It's like any other iron set though - some people love them and some don't.  I know of 2 Ping staffers here that immediately dropped the i525 as well.  I don't think those individuals are leaving Ping staff because they didn't like those irons.

Oh heck no I never said you should never play TM, Srixon, or PXG's, I'm also not say you should only PING and I'm not asking OP what I should play. I only said thats what I played before and I really liked them, but the i525's are my game changers. The new Srixon ZX 7's look amazing, TM P790 will be hard to get any better but we know how hyped up TM will make them. I only played the Gen 4's and they felt great. PING has always and somehow found it's way back into my bag as I started off playing PING and I plan on finishing playing PING's. I'm not a professional and I don't care what the PING staffers are playing or really any PGA player plays as for most of them it's about the money anyhow. This is just my personal preference and nothing against any other brand out there as when something can help make the game fun and easier to play it's why I play the i525's. 

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, mngolfer7 said:

This decision is based completely around what you're looking for and how you can maximize your carry and spin profile. I've owned both, I noticed pretty similar launch windows with more spin in the i210s but about 10 more yards of distance in the i525s. If you're generating too much spin with the i210s, the the i525 would be a good option. If you're looking for more yardage, then the i525 would be a good option. However, if you like the carry, launch, and spin you're seeing with your i210s I would wait on the i230.

I saw the same. 

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Of course, my new i525 irons have shipped the same week all of the i230 announcements and reviews hit.  I still think I made the right choice and can't wait to get them out on the course on Friday.  I will say that I am certainly intrigued by the i230 hype but will give the i525s their fair chance to stay in the bag long term.

I do have the playability guarantee for the next 90 days which is comforting in case things go south but I will report back with my initial feedback.  I think I will love the look, feel, and distance of the i525s, and it may simply come down to launch and spin.  Will be a fun process either way.   

• Like 1

Playing i525's now and came from i210's which were certainly the most consistent irons I had played recently.  Like many here, I wanted higher launch and greater carry to improve GIR and i525's (combined with SF i95's) have certainly done just that.  Yes they are chunkier and yes you can end up with a flyer or two on occasion, but overall the higher ball flight allows me to hit longer irons into greens with a better than even chance it will drop and stop.  May consider trying i59's in 9, W, and U, but overall very happy with the 525's.  Of course being a WRX'r, I will certainly hit the i230's the first chance I get...;-)

East Coast Bag:                                                  West Coast Bag:

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R                   G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W/7W GD Tour AD XC 5R                    Gen6P 3W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Fli-Hi Hybrid 26* GD Tour AD HY 65R.             Gen6XF 3H/4H/5H GD Tour AD HY 65R

i230 6-UW Alta CB Stiff                                     P790 '23 6-AW C-Taper Lite 105R

SM9 55S/59A NS Pro v90R                               SM9 55S/59T C-Taper Lite 105R

SC Golo Jet Black                                               SC Golo

1 minute ago, chasdr said:

Playing i525's now and came from i210's which were certainly the most consistent irons I had played recently.  Like many here, I wanted higher launch and greater carry to improve GIR and i525's (combined with SF i95's) have certainly done just that.  Yes they are chunkier and yes you can end up with a flyer or two on occasion, but overall the higher ball flight allows me to hit longer irons into greens with a better than even chance it will drop and stop.  May consider trying i59's in 9, W, and U, but overall very happy with the 525's.  Of course being a WRX'r, I will certainly hit the i230's the first chance I get...;-)

That is exactly what I got, the i525s with SF i95s and coming from i210 with SF i110s.  Hoping I have the same experience that you have had.  Love to hear it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, The Frase said:

That is exactly what I got, the i525s with SF i95s and coming from i210 with SF i110s.  Hoping I have the same experience that you have had.  Love to hear it.

Hi Frase,

Any updated thoughts on the i525s after having them for a month?

Eric

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Chrome 2.0 65 S
Ping G430 MAX 15° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 MAX 17.5° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 22° Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 S
Ping i210 5-W Recoil Dart 105 S +½" SStep x1
Ping Glide 4.0 50, 54

Ping ChipR

2022 Scotty Cameron X5 35"
TM TP5X

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 9:28 AM, ericm007 said:

Hi Frase,

Any updated thoughts on the i525s after having them for a month?

Eric

Sadly, I quickly dumped them as I didn't like the feel, launch, or low spin.  I ended up ordering the i230s after all which i just received and have only played a few rounds with them.  I think they look better, feel better, and have better dispersion than the i525s.  I am now deciding on if I want to keep them with the Recoil 110s, or go back to the Steel Fiber i110s but I am happy thus far with the 230s vs the 525s.  When I ordered, the PGA Tour Superstore said that they could not custom with the SF so I settled for the Recoils.  The truth is that I liked the SF in my i210s better so reached out to Ping and said that they indeed could custom with those shafts.  Bummed that I didn't push harder the first time but hopefully, i can still swap out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Frase said:

Sadly, I quickly dumped them as I didn't like the feel, launch, or low spin.  I ended up ordering the i230s after all which i just received and have only played a few rounds with them.  I think they look better, feel better, and have better dispersion than the i525s.  I am now deciding on if I want to keep them with the Recoil 110s, or go back to the Steel Fiber i110s but I am happy thus far with the 230s vs the 525s.  When I ordered, the PGA Tour Superstore said that they could not custom with the SF so I settled for the Recoils.  The truth is that I liked the SF in my i210s better so reached out to Ping and said that they indeed could custom with those shafts.  Bummed that I didn't push harder the first time but hopefully, i can still swap out.

Did you go regular or power spec on the i230s....any thoughts on distance between the i525 and i230?

On 9/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, The Frase said:

@Esteban_M

I am still using the i210s, but think I will be ordering the i525s soon.  I think the i230s will be quite similar to what I already have and since i am looking for more distance and more launch, I think the i525s are just what the doctor ordered.  Now trying to determine what shafts to go with.  Hit the Project X IOs pretty solid outdoors and then hit the Steel Fiber i95s and the Nippon 950 GH the best inside.

Going to PGA store soon and will make final decision then.  I hit the Taylor Made 770s on a whim and really like them but I think long term, Ping is the way to go. 

I didn't find the i525 as forgiving compared to P790 etc.  They do look thinner from the top line though.

8 hours ago, The Frase said:

As for the spin, I added loft to all my i525 irons. My 7 iron (for example) is 32 degrees. I get an average of 6100 spin on that iron. I’ve also added Prosoft inserts and the feel is wonderful. I really like them but had to do some simple adjustments. 

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 6S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54* & 58*
TM Spider X HB 34”

4 i525 KBS Tour Lite.  STD Loft

5 i525 KBS Tour Lite.  STD Loft

6 i525 KBS Tour Lite.  STD Loft

7 i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

8 i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

9 i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

P i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

U i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

So far, so great!

• Like 2

If I had the i210, I would not change to i230 because there’s not enough difference to matter to me. Did not care for the i525. Bought and quickly sold. It may feel better than the i500 but it’s still a clangy iron. Best Ping set for me if I bought now would be i59 with the i230 (or i210) in the longer irons. The i59 gets forgotten because it is too expensive but it’s better than iBlade IMO due to improved forgiveness.

Spin is never an issue. Best way to alter spin is through loft changes and that’s what I do. Even 1 degree of loft change will have a noticeable effect. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

9 hours ago, mikpga said:

4 i525 KBS Tour Lite.  STD Loft

5 i525 KBS Tour Lite.  STD Loft

6 i525 KBS Tour Lite.  STD Loft

7 i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

8 i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

9 i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

P i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

U i230 KBS Tour Lite.  Power Spec Loft.  +1/4

So far, so great!

where were you able to order KBS Tour Lite? 

19 hours ago, 20footputt said:

I didn't find the i525 as forgiving compared to P790 etc.  They do look thinner from the top line though.

I agree - I took the P790 plunge based upon distance and my game has suffered.  Loving being back into the i230's.  Now looking at crossover or i525 in 3 or 4i ron.  I did not hit the i525 as well, maybe they call forgiving that it went as far on miss hits but i was not hitting greens/dispersion was off.

My hybrid is a hook machine still....

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Anyone compare the Recoils to the Steel Fibers?  Same weight but I think I like the SF better.  Yes they are certainly more stout and perhaps I should consider the SF i110s in Regular to help with launch but that is where I am leaning as opposed to sticking with the Recoils.  Maybe it is just me but they seem to drop out of the sky and I think I am actually losing distance.  Anyone else feel that way with the Recoils?