I lost my rangefinder... I'm a moron

On 9/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, mvhoffman said:

Title really says it all.  Had the rangefinder for 2-3 seasons now.  A Callaway 300 which was great.  Slope, vibration, chirp...etc.  Used it all of the time and then the end of last year before the handful of cart riding tournaments I decided to get one of the magnetic straps on amazon for $10 to keep it handy.  Well, since then i have left it on 2 carts and had to go back to the course to get it.  3rd time was a charm as I grabbed it after the tournament last weekend and while getting my bag together, i stuck it to the basket on the cart and forgot it... AGAIN. 

13 minutes ago, NatSt8er said:

Ummmm,,,,,,,, actually, that was the cause of the question. :classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 9/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, me05501 said:

I think this would be a good use for an Apple AirTag. 

Here is a silicone case for the Bushnell Tour V5 SHIFT (or non-SHIFT) model rangefinder with a lipped cavity for an Apple AirTag. 

detail_bushnell_tour_v5_shift_airtag_gea

► https://www.spigen.com/products/bushnell-rangefinder-tourv5-shift-airtag-gearlock-case

Edited by GreatStrike
grammar
  • Like 1

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

Here's another rangefinder case that has magnets in the strap for attaching it to the cart bar or a golf club that has a cavity for an Apple AirTag. 

Amazon.com: Spigen AirTag Universal Magnetic Rangefinder Strap, Wrap,  Mount, Securely Holds Golf Laser Rangefinders to Carts - Black : Sports &  Outdoors 

► https://www.spigen.com/products/airtag-rangefinder-wrap

Edited by GreatStrike
grammar

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

17 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

Here's another rangefinder case that has magnets in the strap for attaching it to the cart bar or a golf club that has a cavity for an Apple AirTag. 

Amazon.com: Spigen AirTag Universal Magnetic Rangefinder Strap, Wrap,  Mount, Securely Holds Golf Laser Rangefinders to Carts - Black : Sports &  Outdoors 

► https://www.spigen.com/products/airtag-rangefinder-wrap

By any chance, did you read the original post ?

Bit ironic the ad says "Never lose rangefinder"

Those magnetic devices are the reason the OP LOST his rangefinder,,,,,,,,,,,, 

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

22 hours ago, nsxguy said:

@nsxguy - Yes, I did indeed read the original post. That's the main reason I posted about the two different rangefinder cases (my two previous posts) that are designed to hold an Apple AirTag.

It's actually a pretty good idea for forgetful golfers with expensive rangefinders that have an Apple iPhone. Once you have purchaed an AirTag for $29 thee is no additional cost to start using and tracking your items on Apple's Find My network. 

I'm sure many hundreds of rangefinders are lost every year and the 'finder' (excuse the pun) fails to turn it in at the Pro Shop or the staff doesn't know who it belongs to, so the owner is never contacted to get it back. That's $300 or more gone! 

I have a Bushnell TourV5 Shift rangefinder but I wanted a red colored silicone case (it's easier to see and not lose) instead of black (easier to lose) so I decided to get the TISITA red silicone case for it, but it doesn't hold an Apple AirTag. I wish it did! 

TUSITA Replacement Case Compatible with Bushnell Tour V5 Slope Shift - Silicone Protective Cover - Golf Laser Rangefinder Accessories  

I have typically used an ultra fine point Xylene paint marker in either silver or white to write my name and cell phone number on something like a rangefinder in case I lose it - hoping whoever finds it contacts me. With a Xylene paint marker you can write on rubber, smooth plastic or even soft silicone and it dries within a second and is permanent - it will not not wear off making it ideal for permanently marking your name and cell phone number on something like a rangefinder for identification purposes.  

PM-92     

Edited by GreatStrike
grammar

11 hours ago, nsxguy said:

If it works properly, this is a good idea. It would have prevented OP from leaving the course without his rangefinder, via a proximity alert to his iPhone (if he has one...Apple article here). You would still risk having someone grab it before you went back, but less likely to happen.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

8 minutes ago, zap311 said:

If it works properly, this is a good idea. It would have prevented OP from leaving the course without his rangefinder, via a proximity alert to his iPhone (if he has one...Apple article here). You would still risk having someone grab it before you went back, but less likely to happen.

I get it. Tech is wonderful. I made a living with high tech.

Without reading the article I'm guessing you can set your iPhone to alert you to too wide a gap between it and the object the proximity device is on.

Lotsa people HATE Apple. Not sure why. I love my iMac. But I wouldn't buy an iPhone just because it could locate my rangefinder.

Great idea for someone who already has an iPhone though, and is prone to leaving it behind though. 👍

Titleist Pro V1X

18 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

@nsxguy - Yes, I did indeed read the original post. That's the main reason I posted about the two different rangefinder cases (my two previous posts) that are designed to hold an Apple AirTag.

You added quite a bit to this post, didn't you ? Board notified me you quoted me "2 hours ago". Since there's no NEW post from 2 hours ago I'm guessing your edit notified me again (didn't know the software did that).

Anywho, see my post above. It's a great idea for those who already have an iPhone,,,,,,,, but I wouldn't change phones solely for the ability to find something I'd "tagged". :classic_smile:

Titleist Pro V1X

alright... update to my original post

1.  The wallet and keys in the rangefinder case is the ultimate hack.  I did it this past Sunday after the 2nd shot on 18 (also as recommended above).  The recommendation was great because the new 300 has a built in magnet so that it sticks to the cart bars.

2.  I took a fine Sharpie and put my name and phone number on one side 2 times and the smaller side once.  I then took some clear polish and did a fine coat over the writing and it worked out great.  Cant even tell it is there.  

3.  Can someone take a comparative picture of an apple tag and a coin, just for reference.  I was thinking about doing this as well.  Not just for the range finder but golf bag as well as we do fly and travel a lot.

I appreciate everyone's comments on this post.  I definitely lucked out with being gifted a new range finder from my local course.

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

On 9/19/2022 at 9:47 AM, me05501 said:

I usually rely on my Garmin watch for distances and like that it is always attached to me so I can't lose it. This year I grabbed a Callaway 300 from a member here at a good price so I've been using it some as well. 

I've found that leaving the empty rangefinder case hanging from my bag is enough of a reminder for me not to leave it stuck to the cart, but I can see how it'd be easy to leave one behind. 

Well I guess I have to rat myself out. 

I played in a four-round event with 15 other guys this weekend. The first evening I was going through my bag and saw the holster for my range finder hanging there empty. Doh! Forgot to put it in the basket and the predictable result was predictable. 

I called the course the next morning and they'd located it and held it for me until I could pick it up. Due to our tight schedule I had to play without it for two rounds on Saturday but I was able to pick it up Sunday morning before we played our last round. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I've actually lost 2 rangefinders. Oof.

I recently left my bushnell tour v5 on the cart rail and didn't realize until a few days later. Called the course and luckily they had it.

When I showed up to collect it, they had a total of 4 V5's in their lost and found. Said it was crazy how often they are left on the cart.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:44 AM, Blaiser said:

I've actually lost 2 rangefinders. Oof.

I recently left my bushnell tour v5 on the cart rail and didn't realize until a few days later. Called the course and luckily they had it.

When I showed up to collect it, they had a total of 4 V5's in their lost and found. Said it was crazy how often they are left on the cart.

Same here, I had a cheapie for about 2 years before I got the Tour v5 shift which lasted exactly two weeks.  However in my case they said "no one turned it in".  I know for a fact that a course employee took my empty cart (as I was unloading) back to the cart barn. I just didn't realize until the next time I played that my rangefinder was gone.  I called multiple times to see if someone turned it in but no.  So at least you folks had honest people helping you out.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:11 AM, getitdaily said:

I have a bushnell now and it stays in the case that's attached to my bag. I grab it from the case, get my yardage, and put it back in the case. It never goes in the cart.

🏻 This. 

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

On 9/19/2022 at 9:47 AM, me05501 said:

I usually rely on my Garmin watch for distances and like that it is always attached to me so I can't lose it. This year I grabbed a Callaway 300 from a member here at a good price so I've been using it some as well. 

I've found that leaving the empty rangefinder case hanging from my bag is enough of a reminder for me not to leave it stuck to the cart, but I can see how it'd be easy to leave one behind. 

Exactly what I do clip my empty case on my strap d ring

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Had an odd exchange this season. I’m coming off #9 green. Someone not in my group is there and says “I lost my rangefinder, think I left it back on #7 tee. Did you see one, or pick one up?”

Me: ”Sorry, I sure didn’t.”

Him: ”You sure?”

Really? Am I sure? I halfway wanted to take a step towards him and say “yes, I’m damn sure I didn’t steal your stuff!” but I’m way calmer now than I once was, so I just glared, shook my head once, and said “good luck” as I kept it moving to #10. 

• Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 9/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, me05501 said:

I think this would be a good use for an Apple AirTag. 

Funny you should mention this!

Twice I've left mine on the cart...and fortunately it was turned in to the pro shop each time.

Not 30 minutes ago I emailed Precision Pro to suggest they develop an AirTag skin for their NX10 rangefinder.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never lost a rangefinder but I did wear one out after almost a couple thousand rounds of rattling around on my push cart. It eventually got unsealed and had a bunch of dust and moisture get inside and collect on the inside of the lenses.

But anyway, just last week I thought I had literally broken a rangefinder for the first time. It's a very expensive Nikon image-stabilized one and only a few years old. I was picking it up and in my typical fumble-fingered way it slipped, I tried to make a grab for it and instead my hand just swatted it into the head of a wedge in my golf bag. Scary loud bang. I've done things like that before and never a problem but when I tried to use it, nothing.

I was in a panic at first but then decided I might as well try a fresh battery. Fired up on the first try. What are the odds after shooting thousands of yardages on the lithium battery it would happen to die at exactly the moment I bang the everloving crap out of the rangefinder? 

On 9/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, animalgolfs said:

I've done the same - it's now my routine to put my RF away after my last shot on 18 - before I pull the putter out - I put my RF away

This is my first year with the Bushnell V5 Slope, and also what I do, and I only left it attached to the cart 4 times before I started doing it 🙂  Something funny is for the previous 10 years I had that big a** Bushnell Pro 1M Slope (the one you hold horizontally) that did not have a magnet on it and did not leave it behind once. What does make me feel good is every time I have left it behind I'd call whatever course I was at and they had it and saved it for me.