RIP my sweet baby G400…where do I turn?

Asizzle10

Stealth, then billy bob for an 8 gram back wieght.  bumps the swing wieght up about two point and creates a forgiving weapon you’ll love.  Maybe choke it up a ½ inch  but it swings like the heavy ping heads then.  Or regrip with a heavier grip or put a strip o lead tape under the grip to counterweight like ping shafts.   

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I’m currently gaming a Ping G400 and it’s a great driver. I have an STZ 220 I’m gonna put in play Monday for the first time. It’s a lot like the G400 but better sounding and feel. Plus it can be had for cheap compared to the other new releases. 

I did a driver fitting earlier this year. Nothing beat out the G400 but I picked up the STZ 220 on a whim and really have enjoyed it. Hope it goes well Monday. 

I really liked the Cobra line but it was just too low spin for me. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

On 9/30/2022 at 1:16 AM, Asizzle10 said:

My G400 cracked just as I was getting in a groove. Unsure where to go. Should I buy a used one online or get something new? I liked the g400 but I don’t really know what else is out there. 

Has anyone moved on from the g400 successfully?

DA589C6A-70FB-427D-B0F0-B5492E25944C.jpeg

Geeeees!    Never seen a driver crack on the crown before.

I cracked the face on the older Taylormade 580 driver once hitting it off the fairway, but I've never seen anything like this.

19 minutes ago, Port and Starboard said:

Geeeees!    Never seen a driver crack on the crown before.

I cracked the face on the older Taylormade 580 driver once hitting it off the fairway, but I've never seen anything like this.

There's 2 that broke identically. If this was a TM Stealth thread it'd be 100 posts of haters.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE...PING ended up giving me a slight discount on a G425 lst.  Wasn't too sure about it with the G430 coming out in a couple months, but after a club fitting, my decision was easy.  I'm absolutely amazed and confused at the results.  I've gained 30 yds with the 425.  Club Head Speed, Ball Speed and ball speed way up, spin down.  I was put into a stronger and heavier shaft.

Is the shaft the reason for this increase?   Or is it possible I had a "bad G400"?

Either way I'm obviously very happy and kicking myself for not upgrading earlier when I sensed something was wrong with my driving distance vs my irons.

• Like 3

On 10/2/2022 at 6:04 AM, Therealpatgiles said:

There's 2 that broke identically. If this was a TM Stealth thread it'd be 100 posts of haters.  

I was just thinking the same thing,  how different people are here vs a similar TM thread.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I was just thinking the same thing,  how different people are here vs a similar TM thread.  

The difference is the G400 was released in 2017, and the Stealth was released last year with a higher failure rate 🙄

• Like 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

I used the G400 from 2018 until earlier this year when I got fitted to the Rogue ST.  My fitter (same guy who had fitted me for the G400 back in 2018) was somewhat surprised that I got better numbers with the Rogue ST than the G400; he believes that the G400 is better than anything Ping has made since, and as good as anything on the market generally.

The only reason we could figure for why I was getting better numbers with the Rogue ST was the Tensei Blue shaft.  That shaft, for whatever reason, really seems to suit me; it's in my Ping hybrids AND my Titleist T200 irons, so now with the driver, every club in the bag.  FWIW, I think the Alta shaft in the G400 is very, very good; I just think the Tensei worked slightly better for me.

Long way of saying that I wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry to move away from the G400 unless you get some Trackman data to show you that something else is clearly better.  The G400 is that good.

2 hours ago, bluedot said:

I used the G400 from 2018 until earlier this year when I got fitted to the Rogue ST.  My fitter (same guy who had fitted me for the G400 back in 2018) was somewhat surprised that I got better numbers with the Rogue ST than the G400; he believes that the G400 is better than anything Ping has made since, and as good as anything on the market generally.

The only reason we could figure for why I was getting better numbers with the Rogue ST was the Tensei Blue shaft.  That shaft, for whatever reason, really seems to suit me; it's in my Ping hybrids AND my Titleist T200 irons, so now with the driver, every club in the bag.  FWIW, I think the Alta shaft in the G400 is very, very good; I just think the Tensei worked slightly better for me.

Long way of saying that I wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry to move away from the G400 unless you get some Trackman data to show you that something else is clearly better.  The G400 is that good.

Played the G400 and IMO that is Ping’s best driver. I loved the sound of it, I don’t know what happened with Ping’s acoustics since. If you can replace the head easily, that’s going to be most comfortable. I’d probably do that regardless. 

If budget is no issue, perhaps you want to hit a bunch of the new ones. A lot of love for the Titleist TSR lineup. They look great, cost a lot. 

I ended up in a Rogue ST Max LS and I think this lineup is the most like the Pings in terms of forgiveness. The Callaways are very long in all three heads, whatever one suits you. Pretty interesting to see a number of better players getting their best fit with the Max D head. Overall if I had to predict a different brand that would be the most seamless from the G400, it would be one of these and the price has dropped on Callaway Preowned. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

The difference is the G400 was released in 2017, and the Stealth was released last year with a higher failure rate 🙄

What data are you basing this on? You have hard numbers on both clubs or you just guessing?

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

What data are you basing this on? You have hard numbers on both clubs or you just guessing?

The hardest of hard data...Wrx threads.  

Anyone can search the threads and see the minimal g400 failures compared to stealths.

Edited by Puttersaurus Rex

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Played the G400 and IMO that is Ping’s best driver. I loved the sound of it, I don’t know what happened with Ping’s acoustics since. If you can replace the head easily, that’s going to be most comfortable. I’d probably do that regardless. 

If budget is no issue, perhaps you want to hit a bunch of the new ones. A lot of love for the Titleist TSR lineup. They look great, cost a lot. 

I ended up in a Rogue ST Max LS and I think this lineup is the most like the Pings in terms of forgiveness. The Callaways are very long in all three heads, whatever one suits you. Pretty interesting to see a number of better players getting their best fit with the Max D head. Overall if I had to predict a different brand that would be the most seamless from the G400, it would be one of these and the price has dropped on Callaway Preowned. 

On 9/30/2022 at 1:16 PM, Asizzle10 said:

My G400 cracked just as I was getting in a groove. Unsure where to go. Should I buy a used one online or get something new? I liked the g400 but I don’t really know what else is out there. 

Has anyone moved on from the g400 successfully?

DA589C6A-70FB-427D-B0F0-B5492E25944C.jpeg

Consider also the PXG models? I heard PXG/Parsons poached a bunch of ping engineers ie likely you will find similar design concepts / playability vs Ping?

23 hours ago, Asizzle10 said:

UPDATE...PING ended up giving me a slight discount on a G425 lst.  Wasn't too sure about it with the G430 coming out in a couple months, but after a club fitting, my decision was easy.  I'm absolutely amazed and confused at the results.  I've gained 30 yds with the 425.  Club Head Speed, Ball Speed and ball speed way up, spin down.  I was put into a stronger and heavier shaft.

Is the shaft the reason for this increase?   Or is it possible I had a "bad G400"?

Either way I'm obviously very happy and kicking myself for not upgrading earlier when I sensed something was wrong with my driving distance vs my irons.

Maybe your head was compromised before that crack showed up? 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

10 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

The hardest of hard data...Wrx threads.  

Anyone can search the threads and see the minimal g400 failures compared to stealths.

If we're going that route I know 6 guys who have Stealth's in their bag, none have failed, so it must be pretty darn reliable.  I had a buddy of mine crack his g400 a couple years back, so I guess my data tells me otherwise, in fact he tends to crack/damage drivers on a yearly basis given his club head speed is in the long driver range, so I'd never consider any of those other manufactures since they all seem to have faulty products.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

without reading any of the comments and speaking only from personal experience I can confidently say that no one has ever successfully moved on from the G400

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, DaRiz said:

without reading any of the comments and speaking only from personal experience I can confidently say that no one has ever successfully moved on from the G400

I'm moving on from it after a few months cause its not all that inconsistent  but if you say there's not much better out there then maybe I'll not upgrade at all  was going to go for the stz220

11 minutes ago, sanzo said:

I'm moving on from it after a few months cause its not all that inconsistent  but if you say there's not much better out there then maybe I'll not upgrade at all  was going to go for the stz220

I actually moved onto the G425 and it was a game changer for me. I also got a new shaft so that might have something to do with it. But I had significant distance and accuracy improvement matter moving to 425.