PGA Frisco

JetSpeed79

East was a great experience with some very memorable holes. Greens were so firm you never had a ball mark to fix. Warning - despite paying $550+ for my round with caddy and tip, valet at the main club house was not complimentary. They tell you it's $30+ tip when you get your car back. Next time I'll self park. 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, cjblake09 said:

I think they are only going walking only until mid June to let the course recover from the tournamnet.  Could not see anyone walking that course with zero shade in July and August.  

The website says walking with caddie only until June 18th. I called and asked for clarification on that and they had no idea that was on there. I asked directly if carts will be allowed after the 18th and was told no. I have also been told that they will sometimes allow carts but only cart path only and that this will be seasonal. They could not tell me what that meant and when that would be.

Edited by Razortxn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GolfinDave said:

The cheaper course was $343 to ride. Then have to pay a forecaddy if someone got the service. The East course is going to set you back $500+. I just don't see how it works for locals, unless you can expense it all. 

Its a resort, I dont think locals are the target market honestly. 

I just played the East on Saturday and it was $550 with caddy fee and tip. My opinion is that the course is not worth that kind of $ outlay, but since I am expensing it, I'm not complaining too much. The water and trash situation is ridiculous and even the caddies were complaining about it and said they complain about it everyday after their loops. Was also told when checking in that the East will be walking only for the next 8 years due to the number of professional championships they have on the horizon. The course was tough in post Senior PGA conditions, but i did like the design and enjoyed the round. 

• Like 3

On 6/5/2023 at 11:59 AM, monty09 said:

I really want to like this course but think it will be a big miss

Even the resort itself seems like a joke. I personally know 2 people that have already quit because it was so poorly mismanaged.

A 3rd friend (former co-worker) literally laughed at the Director who interviewed her because the Director literally offered her $25 base rate at the Spa per service. The services start at $195............ (25 dollars is an absolute insult and the interviewer was 100% serious). 

I played the East on Monday- I really enjoyed the course. It was walking only, we teed off at 8:20. Wasn't too bad until about hole 13- but the breeze, cool towels brought around by the starter, and frequent cart girl/water coolers on every hole made it manageable. They started allowing cart path only yesterday on East because of the heat index. Course conditions were fantastic, bunkering was unbelievable. Greens were pure. Obviously most wont be happy about the price, but if the company expense account or your business is footing the bill (Already a huge realtor conference at Omni right now and another Fortune 500 executive team meeting here rn) then they'll end up being fine. 

I will say 18 seemed to be a dumb hole going into the round but it ended up being a really fun 3rd shot into the sloped green. I hit a perfect wedge and got my first and only divot-plug on the green. They definitely watered the 18th, had they not the ball would have rolled back down the slope. My caddy could not believe it stayed where it was at. 

IMG_3929.JPG.21ecf02e5897fc220649d4befee443f8.JPGIMG_3923.JPG.b57220da0cc4e500cdbb5f289abe2435.JPGIMG_3920.JPG.a147d0682be52d9ac66fdb180e1d992e.JPGIMG_3911.JPG.fdcd4c3bd30bca786f945f9fb7013a6f.JPGIMG_3908.JPG.0e826a75948392c818769c7a6a268274.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone played The Swing (the 10 hole short course)? Was wondering what is the best time of day to go and how easy it is to get on. Can you walk up and get on and play as a single or do you have to wait to be paired?

Ping G430 Max HL 11* Alta Quick 45

Ping G 430 Max HL 5W Alta Quick 45

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 5h 27*

Titleist T300 8 & PW (Tensei Red AM2 Regular)

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50* & 54* Graphite

LAB Golf DF3 35"

19 minutes ago, Shane Cavitt said:

Anyone played The Swing (the 10 hole short course)? Was wondering what is the best time of day to go and how easy it is to get on. Can you walk up and get on and play as a single or do you have to wait to be paired?

No answers other than to say the people I’ve spoken to that have played the short course had great things to say about it. I’m planning on getting out there soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, FuzzyKnuckles said:

The Swing is good fun, it's $40 but a good time. With the lights its open till like 11pm during the week and after midnight on the weekends. Its busy after work but still flows well. You can walk up and play, that's the primary way they do it

Had no idea it was lighted and open so late. May have to head over there and try that out. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Booked Fields Ranch East for this Saturday. Fingers crossed it's a good time.

Will provide a short review as well. Looks as though they've updated their info on the East Course restrictions on when carts and caddies/forecaddies are required. Along with openly talking about the $40 cart fee.

Edited by cloroxbleach4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JLaws_2929 said:

What is the appropriate tip for a caddy at the Field Ranch East Course?  I've never played with a caddy before.  I called the shop and they said the average tip is $40 which to me seems very low.  

There will be 2 separate things - a caddie fee and then a caddie gratuity. The caddie fee (per their website) is $80 for a double bag and $125 for a single bag. 

Then on top of that you have the caddie tip which is paid directly to the caddie at the end of the round. $40-50 is a reasonable gratuity assuming good service.  

14 hours ago, ND2005 said:

There will be 2 separate things - a caddie fee and then a caddie gratuity. The caddie fee (per their website) is $80 for a double bag and $125 for a single bag. 

Then on top of that you have the caddie tip which is paid directly to the caddie at the end of the round. $40-50 is a reasonable gratuity assuming good service.  

This makes sense and was more in line with what I was expecting.  I couldn't find anything on on what the caddy fee was I'd be charged at the shop.

Thank you for your help! 

14 hours ago, ND2005 said:

My son played there last week. His caddie told him that they only get $40 of the $125 caddie fee. 

On 10/8/2023 at 8:34 AM, North Texas said:

My son played there last week. His caddie told him that they only get $40 of the $125 caddie fee. 

That sounds like a bit of highway robbery.  I don't know the caddie situation in DFW but somehow I don't think they will draw real good caddies if that stays the same.  St Andrews only takes 5 pounds out of the caddie fee.  I hope your son got the numbers backwards.

Thank you for the replies.  It was in fact $125 to the shop for the caddie and the recommended tip was $45.

Overall I really enjoyed the course.  Made you think, was challenging but fair.  I think the more you play it and learn the angles/where you can miss the better you could score...

Will be fun to watch future majors. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 5:45 PM, wegobomber31 said:

Yeah there is no way that is right. No one is going to caddie in the hot Texas sun for 5+ hours for $40. 

caddie here at fields ranch- it is correct- the shop only pays us $40 a bag and the “reccomended $45” makes for a very low, below industry standard rate. The caddie situation is grim and they have been struggling to keep good caddies around 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, c1301998 said:

caddie here at fields ranch- it is correct- the shop only pays us $40 a bag and the “reccomended $45” makes for a very low, below industry standard rate. The caddie situation is grim and they have been struggling to keep good caddies around 

That is really terrible. 

Overcharging the guests and underpaying the employees. Not a recipe for success. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, c1301998 said:

That is not sustainable.  They are out of touch with the industry.  Many courses have the golfers pay 100% of the fee and tip directly to the caddie in cash.

34 minutes ago, CMCSGolf said:

Pinehurst does the same thing.  Therefore, their caddies suck in my two experiences there.  It's one of a few reasons why Pinehurst is perpetually a big step below Bandon (and increasingly other places) as the best golf resort in the US.

the one thing pinehurst and PGA frisco have in common is the caddie program is managed by caddiemaster- almost all caddiemaster courses skim a significant percentage of the bag fee off the top from the caddies themselves. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Played the West again yesterday and i think it is playing at least 5 shots harder than summertime.  Will rough gone around the greens and everything mowed so tight it makes all those chip shots twice as hard.  I also hit the basically middle of the green on 2 holes and found my ball about 30 yards away after catching the slope.   We also had some very devilish pin placements yesterday that did not give me great confidence in my putting!

• Like 1