2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

2023 wxrs drivers comparison thread

getitdaily

• getitdaily changed the title to 2023 wxrs drivers comparison thread
2 minutes ago, muniman said:

Though it is a good topic for a thread, I  feel it would gain better traction after players have had more of a chance to actually compare the new stuff side by side. This time of year, most in the cold part of the country won't be able to play for another month, or so. 

Retailers will have all the demo heads in a week or so.  Lots of indoor testing will start this week.

I really like this idea. It'd be great to keep these comparisons in one place. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

6 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I'll start a 3w comparison thread too...unless you want to author it...

All you man! I’m currently trying to resist the temptation to buy a G430 Max 3W with a Diamana TB 70X… but will probably give in within 24 hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

2 hours ago, muniman said:

Though it is a good topic for a thread, I  feel it would gain better traction after players have had more of a chance to actually compare the new stuff side by side. This time of year, most in the cold part of the country won't be able to play for another month, or so. 

Ha, I wish! I’d say April is more of the reality. For folks in Canada, May!

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

All being released together is best for comparison test as it always was misleading when a reviewer would say how much longer this driver is or that then 2 months later the next one comes out and they as even more impressed. It's bad for most of us recreational golfer's as we have to wait for almost 3 more months or more to actually get out and play, but at least we can demo them now for ourselves to compare.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Not interested in drivers this year, but a FW thread would be nice, I need a new 7w. I'm REALLY curious about the Aerojet FWs. Finally a Cobra FW without the rails!!!!! I know some like them, but I never have.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

12 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Not interested in drivers this year, but a FW thread would be nice, I need a new 7w. I'm REALLY curious about the Aerojet FWs. Finally a Cobra FW without the rails!!!!! I know some like them, but I never have.

BT

I'll create one. Will be testing them tomorrow myself...paradym, stealth2+, cobra. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hokiealumn said:

I was very fortunate to be used a tester of sorts with my local fitter for all of the new 2023 Equipment. I hit A LOT of balls and heres my quick summary of all of them:

• Callaway - Paradym TD and the whole Paradym line is going to be a problem for other manufactures this year. Its a big improvement over Rogue and Rogue netted me a 11 yd carry improvement over my SIM2.
  • Ping G430LST - Its loud AF still for a 118SS. I hit 5 balls with it and moved on, couldn't get over the sound
  • Cobra - Aerojet LS 9* head turned to its lowest setting sat super open and looks like it had 12* of loft at address. LTDX do not do this. I couldn't keep anything remotely playable with it in the grid.
  • Taylormade - Stealth2+ - Decent numbers but I honestly preferred the look and sound of OG Stealth to Stealth2.
  • Titleist - TSR 3/4 is where I spent most of my time as well as the Paradym. Ball speeds were fairly equal and spin was lower with the TSR4. Sound was great and TSR3 is way more forgivable than my current gamer (Rogue TDLS 9*)
  • **Fitting Summary - Ultimately it came down to the Paradym and TSR3. Paradym was 8*, STD loft setting & Neutral. TSR3 9* was C1 and back weight at T1. First hit both with Ventus TR Black 6x and they were neck and neck but forgiveness nod was given to TSR3 as miss hits were not as punishing.

My fitter then put the Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5 TX in each and things were night and day. Ball speed up, launch down, carry increased and spin maintained 2200ish in the TSR. Paradym remained mostly unchanged from the Ventus. Longest of the day was 118SS, 1.5 efficiency, 177 BS, 318yd carry with 343yd overall.

TSR3 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Green was the winner for me. Happy to have the TSR on order. If you are chasing max distance, Paradym may fit you well and Callaway will do very, very well with it this year.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/8def03317ec46c7c9a294688d5fbca3ce30cb05967bb21432eb7dc515d5c5b9f/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/8def03317ec46c7c9a294688d5fbca3ce30cb05967bb21432eb7dc515d5c5b9f/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_0321.jpeg.69d0b63b48dbada0596e83f958dfc117.jpeg

Did you try the td with the heavy weight back?

Just now, getitdaily said:

Did you try the td with the heavy weight back?

Yes, Heavy weight forward for me fell out of the sky.

Titleist TSR3 9*, Hzrdus Smoke Green Hulk PVD 70 TX

TaylorMade Mini BRNR 11.5*, Hzrdus Smoke Green Hulk PVD 90 TX
Titleist TSR3 13.5*, Ventus Blue TR 80 X

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 2HY, Ventus Blue 90HY X
Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Ventus Black 100TX

Srixon ZX7 5-PW, LAGP L-Series 05
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3 50, 55 & 60 LAGP L-Series 05

LAB Link.1, LAGP P-Series 135
Titleist -ProV1X

Great thread and ill be following along! 

Since there are no big box stores, and I work at 1 of the only 2 (yes 2) golf shops here I still have to buy blind. I'm a lefty and there's like 15 of us on island lol. 

Currently in "OG" Stealth plus, set at std 9*, ventus black 6x, 25 grams total in weight track toe side. I like the set up.

I'm most interested in trying a Cally Paradym Triple Diamond, but it's still early so ill follow along and collect as much info as I can. 

1 minute ago, TJ83 said:

Great thread and ill be following along! 

Since there are no big box stores, and I work at 1 of the only 2 (yes 2) golf shops here I still have to buy blind. I'm a lefty and there's like 15 of us on island lol. 

Currently in "OG" Stealth plus, set at std 9*, ventus black 6x, 25 grams total in weight track toe side. I like the set up.

I'm most interested in trying a Cally Paradym Triple Diamond, but it's still early so ill follow along and collect as much info as I can. 

On my way to hit fwys and the Callaway drivers. 

I have stealth+ 9. Ventus blue. 4g front and 10g extra weight back. Will compare the Callaway first and then stealth2 + this weekend.

• Like 2

Put my stealth+ up against paradym and paradym 3d. 

Stealth+ has ventus blue 6x, 4g front weight, 10g added to back weight. 9.0 loft.

Both paradyms were at 9.0. Neutral slider weight on the paradym and heavy weight back on the 3d. They both had a ventus black 6x.

3d is a really good head. The only knock on it is spin kicks up too much on low strikes. 

Just didn't get along with Regular paradym. A bit too much spin. Couldn't find the center very well.

My stealth+ is staying put. TM adapter going on the ventus black. See if I can go 9.75, raise launch and keep.spin down...

The club listed as "driver" is my stealth+. I hit it first and last. Wanted to make sure the slow I saw initially was just lack of warmup. 

20230112_162407.jpg

20230112_162416.jpg

20230112_162428.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TJ83 said:

Thanks for sharing!! 

Was weight forward in triple d  low spin and low launch? 

I didn't even try it with weight forward. That's a setup I know I wouldn't play. If anything I'd get custom weights and go 8/8. But good strikes were already really good. I was more interested in fairways today so I wanted to save swings. I'm not 30 anymore...

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:10 PM, hokiealumn said:

I was very fortunate to be used a tester of sorts with my local fitter for all of the new 2023 Equipment. I hit A LOT of balls and heres my quick summary of all of them:

• Callaway - Paradym TD and the whole Paradym line is going to be a problem for other manufactures this year. Its a big improvement over Rogue and Rogue netted me a 11 yd carry improvement over my SIM2.
  • Ping G430LST - Its loud AF still for a 118SS. I hit 5 balls with it and moved on, couldn't get over the sound
  • Cobra - Aerojet LS 9* head turned to its lowest setting sat super open and looks like it had 12* of loft at address. LTDX do not do this. I couldn't keep anything remotely playable with it in the grid.
  • Taylormade - Stealth2+ - Decent numbers but I honestly preferred the look and sound of OG Stealth to Stealth2.
  • Titleist - TSR 3/4 is where I spent most of my time as well as the Paradym. Ball speeds were fairly equal and spin was lower with the TSR4. Sound was great and TSR3 is way more forgivable than my current gamer (Rogue TDLS 9*)
  • **Fitting Summary - Ultimately it came down to the Paradym and TSR3. Paradym was 8*, STD loft setting & Neutral. TSR3 9* was C1 and back weight at T1. First hit both with Ventus TR Black 6x and they were neck and neck but forgiveness nod was given to TSR3 as miss hits were not as punishing.

My fitter then put the Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5 TX in each and things were night and day. Ball speed up, launch down, carry increased and spin maintained 2200ish in the TSR. Paradym remained mostly unchanged from the Ventus. Longest of the day was 118SS, 1.5 efficiency, 177 BS, 318yd carry with 343yd overall.

TSR3 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Green was the winner for me. Happy to have the TSR on order. If you are chasing max distance, Paradym may fit you well and Callaway will do very, very well with it this year.

IMG_0321.jpeg

Unreal write up man well done. 

Must be nice to have that kind of power...ole mighty mouse over here gets excited when I can get my SS up to 113

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 5:07 PM, muniman said:

Try another 2-3 months.

• Like 2

Swung the triple diamond today along with the stealth 2. Swung the paradym 2mph slower than stealth but got 2 mph more ball speed. Heel shots it held up well on cuts around 2600-2800, toe hits were a little on the lower side around 1700,1800. Overall, paradym looks wayyyyy better in person, (coming from someone who thought it looked like a hideous bowling ball on first impressions). It feels great to me right there with tsr which surprised me I dont remember a callaway driver feeling that good. I wish the triple diamond look was the same for all model with the no chevron crown but oh well. To me I feel TSR is still king but if anyone will come close or take the top spot i think itll be callaway this year. The stealth for me has seemed to take a step back, Honestly liked the og way more which I gamed all last year. Also very excited to see how the new Mizuno stz 230 does, it looks gorgeous it might be the sleeper of the year.

• Like 2

Tried all the newer heads today and the tsr4. For me the ping g430lst won out. a combination of distance forgiveness and feel. Tsr4 was highest for ball speeds at 185 but I felt it lacked feel compared to the ping. I wasn’t a fan of the Paradym for some reason. Went with ping g430 lst 9 in the flat minus setting, ping tour 2.0 black shaft

Pretty good test here. Unfortunately they didn’t have the Para to hit, but they say that’s coming.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

Pretty good test here. Unfortunately they didn’t have the Para to hit, but they say that’s coming.

Was amazing how close everything was.

• Like 1

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck