The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

28 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

There are at least 6 companies that I know that make replica hickory shafted clubs with two of them in the US (Tad Moore and Louisville) and hickory is growing in Most parts of the world. Most people still prefer to play with original clubs and they hold up really well. You can get new hickory shaft replacements that are frequency matched although it is frequently more cost effective to replace the club. There are a lot of hickory clubs still around as it is estimated that more than three million were produced in North America alone between 1900-1935, even more in the UK. You can assemble a good hickory playset for $350 and up for common clubs. At the show, there will be lots of clubs to choose from at reasonable prices (RH irons restored for play go for $40-75 each, woods for $70-100). 

Unfortunately classic clubs don’t sell very well and the market is weak, which is a shame. I frequently get sets given to me and never have to pay much for really great sets.

My philosophy has always been that a club should be played, not displayed. The only clubs that should be hung on walls are the truly valuable (very few) or clubs that are not in playable condition. That goes for hickory or classics in my book. You would also be surprised at how playable these clubs are. My lowest round of the year last year (75) was with hickory clubs.

As for playing multiple days, when Back in form, it is not unusual for me to play 6 or 7 days in a row, sometimes more and I walk the course at least 80% of the time. After my recent health issues, it will take a while to get there, but I will eventually. My secret is that despite living on a golf course with a range 150 feet from my door, I rarely hit range balls and instead work in the short game area a couple times per week for 15 minutes. My theory is that there is less wear and tear on my body which will soon be 70, why waste good shots on the range.

@Petethreeput, I wish you well on your golfing and would love to play some time. 

I have what I believe are an old set of hickory's that I was told were my grandfather's, but they have to be older than him if so.  I'll have to go find them sometime.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

There are at least 6 companies that I know that make replica hickory shafted clubs with two of them in the US (Tad Moore and Louisville) and hickory is growing in Most parts of the world. Most people still prefer to play with original clubs and they hold up really well. You can get new hickory shaft replacements that are frequency matched although it is frequently more cost effective to replace the club. There are a lot of hickory clubs still around as it is estimated that more than three million were produced in North America alone between 1900-1935, even more in the UK. You can assemble a good hickory playset for $350 and up for common clubs. At the show, there will be lots of clubs to choose from at reasonable prices (RH irons restored for play go for $40-75 each, woods for $70-100). 

Unfortunately classic clubs don’t sell very well and the market is weak, which is a shame. I frequently get sets given to me and never have to pay much for really great sets.

My philosophy has always been that a club should be played, not displayed. The only clubs that should be hung on walls are the truly valuable (very few) or clubs that are not in playable condition. That goes for hickory or classics in my book. You would also be surprised at how playable these clubs are. My lowest round of the year last year (75) was with hickory clubs.

As for playing multiple days, when Back in form, it is not unusual for me to play 6 or 7 days in a row, sometimes more and I walk the course at least 80% of the time. After my recent health issues, it will take a while to get there, but I will eventually. My secret is that despite living on a golf course with a range 150 feet from my door, I rarely hit range balls and instead work in the short game area a couple times per week for 15 minutes. My theory is that there is less wear and tear on my body which will soon be 70, why waste good shots on the range.

@Petethreeput, I wish you well on your golfing and would love to play some time. 

Like @aenemated the value of my hickories isn’t the money.  It’s twofold for me.  They were my grandmothers, and then for some reason my dad paid to have them refurbished, so I feel like it’s my turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aenemated said:

image.jpeg.e00f3d832a392b3b5f64f6d2da9653c1.jpeg

It lives over my desk here where most of the nonsense I have to say also comes from! 

I see you have some work stuff up on your computer screen.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

33 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I see you have some work stuff up on your computer screen.

Oh, that's just the TV. Many more things comprise work stuff 😄 

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Posted (edited)

Cute Spring Patterns Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave

Good Morning Gentlemen and welcome to the first day of Spring 2024.

The first day of spring is Tuesday, March 19, 2024, at 11:06 p.m. EDT. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, this was marked by the arrival of the Vernal Equinox (otherwise known as the “First Point of Aries“).

Traditionally, we cel

What Does Vernal Equinox Mean?

Vernal translates to “new” and “fresh,” and equinox derived from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night).

So what does that mean? Essentially, our hours of daylight—the period of time each day between sunrise and sunset—have been growing slightly longer each day since the winter solstice in December, which is the shortest day of the year (at least in terms of light).

Even though we know that after December 21st, the days start getting steadily longer, we still see more darkness than light over the course of a day in those three months leading up to spring. The vernal equinox marks the turning point when daylight begins to win out over darkness.

At this moment, the direct rays of the Sun are shining down on the equator producing the effect of equal day and night (give or take a few minutes, see below).  After the vernal equinox, the direct rays of the Sun migrate north of the Equator (with hours of daylight steadily growing longer) until they finally arrive at the Tropic of the Cancer (latitude 23.5 degrees north).

Edited by touch

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

18 minutes ago, touch said:

Cute Spring Patterns Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave

Good Morning Gentlemen and welcome to the first day of Spring 2024.

The first day of spring is Tuesday, March 19, 2024, at 11:06 p.m. EDT. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, this was marked by the arrival of the Vernal Equinox (otherwise known as the “First Point of Aries“).

Traditionally, we cel

What Does Vernal Equinox Mean?

Vernal translates to “new” and “fresh,” and equinox derived from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night).

So what does that mean? Essentially, our hours of daylight—the period of time each day between sunrise and sunset—have been growing slightly longer each day since the winter solstice in December, which is the shortest day of the year (at least in terms of light).

Even though we know that after December 21st, the days start getting steadily longer, we still see more darkness than light over the course of a day in those three months leading up to spring. The vernal equinox marks the turning point when daylight begins to win out over darkness.

At this moment, the direct rays of the Sun are shining down on the equator producing the effect of equal day and night (give or take a few minutes, see below).  After the vernal equinox, the direct rays of the Sun migrate north of the Equator (with hours of daylight steadily growing longer) until they finally arrive at the Tropic of the Cancer (latitude 23.5 degrees north).

Spring has arrived on the calendar. Not so much in reality.

Detailed Forecast

Today
A chance of flurries before 10am. Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 38. Wind chill values as low as -4. Breezy, with a west wind 22 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph.
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

Spring has arrived on the calendar. Not so much in reality.

Detailed Forecast

Today
A chance of flurries before 10am. Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 38. Wind chill values as low as -4. Breezy, with a west wind 22 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph.

Well heck it's still ski season in the high mountainous part of western North Carolina that you call home @sunbeltgolfer !😃

It won't be warm and toasty down here but more on the slightly chilly side, but I will be playing golf today and celebrating the first day of Spring. 🏌️‍♀️

Today will be my 17th round of 2024.  💥

icon
Asheville, NC   
Edited by touch

8 minutes ago, DLeightonReid said:

Good Tuesday morning, golfers!  Sometimes it’s the little things that makes your day.  While substituting in a 4th grade class yesterday, a learning disability young lady gave me the following note. 

IMG_0116.jpeg
Now onto the cartoon. 

IMG_0112.jpeg

How special, but I'm not surprised you received that note DLR because you are one fine gentleman. Congratulations on receiving that touching message. 

Happy Spring Mr teacher. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, touch said:

Well heck it's still ski season in the high mountainous part of western North Carolina that you call home @sunbeltgolfer !😃

It won't be warm and toasty down here but more on the slightly chilly side, but I will be playing golf today and celebrating the first day of Spring. 🏌️‍♀️

Today will be my 17th round of 2024.  💥

icon
Asheville, NC   

Ski Beech ended their season Sunday. Sugar Mountain is still open if you're looking to carve up some snow.

• Like 1

Links Lounge Major Standings after The Players

* Last years bonus for Chisag (+30) and Triple Lindy (+10) have been applied

145 Pts - DMM

127 Pts - Triple Lindy

110 Pts - Touch

NJBF

Chisag

Aaron

87 Pts - imKirby

65 Pts - aen

59 Pts - DLeighton Reid

Parker

44 Pts - P3P

Big Stu

14 Pts - NCLancer

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Posted (edited)

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chisag said:

...  If NCLancer spent less time researching Bears QB and researched Players Championship favorites, and I think he could have doubled his point total!  🤪

Yes, he could have climbed up to last place.

• Haha 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Well Fella's it's my birthday today so heading out to rehab, then my friends are treating me to a round of golf and dinner after. Gonna be even easier to shoot my age. 🙄

Happy Birthday, Chisag!  I hope you have an enjoyable day.

Edited by DLeightonReid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

55 minutes ago, DLeightonReid said:

Happy Birthday, Chisag!  I hope you have an enjoyable day.

The Beatles, he will love it. 👍🕺

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, chisag said:

... Well Fella's it's my birthday today so heading out to rehab, then my friends are treating me to a round of golf and dinner after. Gonna be even easier to shoot my age. 🙄

Happy Birthday chisag. 🎂

I hope your day was dandy.

Edited by touch
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hole Spotlight # 11 Connestee Falls 

Par 5   downhill uphill 

handicap 4 

489 black tees 

462 white (I play the whites)

407 green senior's 

396 Ladies (yellow)

Ryan and his GF are originally from the JAX, FLA area. Duval county. 

As we got out and walked to the 11th tee boxes I say, " Pay attention you guys, fasten your seat belts for this one because you ain't got this S**t down in Florida."  😅

Today I hit 5 wood, 4 hybrid, and PW and two putted for par. I have made a good many 7's on #11. It's a special par 5. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Haha thanks to all for the Birthday wishes. 🤗  Shot a 70 so one year under my age. 4 under on the front and birdied 10, but for the 2nd day in a row the temps dropped and a 20mph wind showed up the last 4 holes and I ended up 2 over on the back. 

Way to adjust to changing conditions on the finishing holes enough to shoot less than your age on your birthday. 💥

Nicely done.   🏌️

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What a fine early spring afternoon I had today playing golf on a beautiful course. 😊

There were maybe 6 groups out there all day today. It was too cold and breezy for the old guys. 

The three of us had nobody if front of us all day. 

Our pace was the pace😅

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 8:00 PM, TiScape said:

I don’t post in here anymore, but this post was brought to my attention by several members. Not sure why the warning wasn’t enough and a thin veiled accusation had to be added. Just want to clear up that no member that is “no longer hanging out here” had anything to do with the (***NO POLITICS/RELIGION***) designation. It was ironically a post by someone that has been and is currently very active who “couldn’t follow the rules” and whose post caused the “tag”. That is all and miss most of you 😊

Thanks

After much thought and some PMs between members I have also decided not to post or participate in this thread any more. I have my reasons and will not discuss it any further. I will also miss most of you. Sorry but that is the way it will be

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)