RTX 6 ZipCore… Worth the upgrade?

JoshuaD

For those who have played both the previous version ZipCores AND the new RTX 6 ZipCore, would you say the upgrades are worth the additional $50 above the lowered price of then predecessor ($119)?

I know it’s only been available for a very short while, but I’ve read a few comments from forum member who have noted buying/receiving the new RTX 6 ZipCore wedges, so I’m hoping someone out there may have some insight.

If you could pick up a new/unused RTX for $100 (pretax), would you still opt for the RTX 6?

New to the forum so some context. High handicapper who’s been playing more regularly over the last year. Playing a set of Ping Eye 2+ in the infamous beryllium copper I received as a hand me down. Best clubs for me in the set are the 7i and sand wedge. I find myself in situations where I’m playing those clubs more often because they are my most consistent. Limited swing due to some shoulder issues.

I did stop have a chance to hit a few balls,  switching between the RTX 6 56° and a CBX Full Face 56°. I much preferred the RTX 6. Believe it or not (and your guess is as good as mine), better contact and straighter ball flight.

I did not have the opportunity to swing a previous gen RTX ZipCore, so I’m really wondering how much of a difference I would feel or even notice and if it is worth the extra cash… 🤷🏻‍♂️

EDIT: Ended up picking up the prior version RTX ZipCore. Stopped at the local range on the way home. From my short experience (and IMO), swing and feel were almost identical to the RTX 6. Biggest difference was, even though they look the same (groves and patterning), you could physically feel that the grooves and markings on the face were deeper. The coating on the face was also a bit rougher. Sort of sandpaper-ish. 

My conclusion is that if you’re in the market and have the ability to pick up the discounted model, do it. Only three reasons to get the RTX 6: your livelihood depends on it, your game is so good that those minimal things make a difference or, you simply need to have the newest, brightest, shiniest piece of equipment.

Edited by JoshuaD

14 hours ago, JDennis said:

I have original zipcore raw your rack. Still the best wedges I have hit for me. Sadly I have TM MG2's, Callaway's, SM8's and SM9's. I just jive with the zipcores...

They look VERY similar. I know the originals have similar patterns and grooves, just not as aggressive as on the new RTX 6. then there is the adjustment to the hosel insert and subsequent weight adjustment. My curiosity is if it really is distinctly different enough to warrant the price difference.

3 minutes ago, zeebot said:

The rtx6 are heavier and spin more…. Not sure if I’m moving forward with the 6 or going back to the original… I’m leaning original. 

I appreciate the input.

In your experience, is it a drastic difference?

I know that being a little bit heavier and having the ability to add additional spin can be beneficial, I’m not so sure that those things are worth an extra $70 for me, especially where I am currently in my golf journey. 

I will preface this by saying I have not hit the new RTX6 yet, however…

I have the previous RTX Zipcores in my bag and absolutely love them, they’re the best wedges I’ve played and I’ve tried most of the big names in the last few years. If I were in the market for new wedges right now I would walk right past the 6s and go pick up another set of og zipcores no questions asked. 

Based on given your stated golf experience and skill level, I doubt you would see any significant difference with the 6. Getting the right lofts, grind/bounce, and practice practice practice is far more important. 

I vote save the money and go with previous generation. 

• Like 4

Just upgraded to the OG zipcore and compared to the rtx6 in store. Small difference in feel, probably a bit more spin on the rtx6 (which may or may not be helpful), and costs $60 more on avg per wedge then what I paid for 2 new and 1 lightly used zipcore.

Edited by sadclevelandsports
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input. Edited the original post to include the following:

Ended up picking up the prior version RTX ZipCore. Stopped at the local range on the way home. From my short experience (and IMO), swing and feel were almost identical to the RTX 6. Biggest difference was, even though they look the same (groves and patterning), you could physically feel that the grooves and markings on the face were deeper. The coating on the face was also a bit rougher. Sort of sandpaper-ish. 

My conclusion is that if you’re in the market and have the ability to pick up the discounted model, do it. Only three reasons to get the RTX 6: your livelihood depends on it, your game is so good that those minimal things make a difference or, you simply need to have the newest, brightest, shiniest piece of equipment.

Edited by JoshuaD

9 hours ago, AmateurAmateur said:

You will not notice a difference in standard conditions. There is a marginal difference in wet conditions but enough for you to notice? Depends on the player really.

Biggest difference between the 2 that I’ve noticed is the leading edge isn’t as sharp on the RTX6 compared to the Zipcores.

I had to blunt the leading edge on my sand and lob wedges with the Tour Rack zipcores because of how much they dug in wet conditions. No issues with the the leading edge being too sharp with the RTX sand wedge in wet conditions. 

My zipcore lob wedge is still pretty new, so I can’t comment on if the RTX6 lob wedge is that much better than the zipcore in that loft. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

10 hours ago, JoshuaD said:

Thanks for all the input. Edited the original post to include the following:

Ended up picking up the prior version RTX ZipCore. Stopped at the local range on the way home. From my short experience (and IMO), swing and feel were almost identical to the RTX 6. Biggest difference was, even though they look the same (groves and patterning), you could physically feel that the grooves and markings on the face were deeper. The coating on the face was also a bit rougher. Sort of sandpaper-ish. 

Or you play in wet weather.  TXG posted a video about this showing that the RTX6 saw a very minimal drop off in wet weather while the RTX Zipcore performed second worst in wet weather conditions in their original test.  To me that was the way more important thing, and why they went in the bag.  This was empirical evidence vs. eyeballing the depth of the grooves and running your fingers over them to gauge whether it was worth the upgrade or not.  Further,  I tried everything as well and the RTX 6 Zipcore also had more ball speed and higher average spin than anything I tried (SM9, T22, Jaws Raw, MG3, Hi Toe, Glide 4.0, and CBX2 Zipcore).  Second place was HiToe3 and Jaws Raw but the RTX was the clear winner, it wasn't even close.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 4

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Edited by WristySwing
Not grumpy anymore
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:04 AM, WristySwing said:

Or you play in wet weather.  TXG posted a video about this showing that the RTX6 saw a very minimal drop off in wet weather while the RTX Zipcore performed second worst in wet weather conditions in their original test.  To me that was the way more important thing, and why they went in the bag.  This was empirical evidence vs. eyeballing the depth of the grooves and running your fingers over them to gauge whether it was worth the upgrade or not.  Further,  I tried everything as well and the RTX 6 Zipcore also had more ball speed and higher average spin than anything I tried (SM9, T22, Jaws Raw, MG3, Hi Toe, Glide 4.0, and CBX2 Zipcore).  Second place was HiToe3 and Jaws Raw but the RTX was the clear winner, it wasn't even close.

How did you get a 58* with the Low+ grind? Thought that was only on the SW lofts. Wish they offered the Low+ for the LW

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

9 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

How did you get a 58* with the Low+ grind? Thought that was only on the SW lofts. Wish they offered the Low+ for the LW

56* bent weak.  It's technically not a Low+ anymore since it has the same bounce as the mid, but it has the more aggressive C-grind I wanted.  I was trying to replicate my Vokey's I had before this with D in the 54 and the M in the 58.  I like having one higher bounce, full sole option and one lower bounce thinner sole option.  It's not really super easy to do this on Cleveland as the Low grind dug too much for me and the full doesn't have much of any grind at all, so I had to kind of think outside the box here and live with mid bounce on both.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WristySwing said:

56* bent weak.  It's technically not a Low+ anymore since it has the same bounce as the mid, but it has the more aggressive C-grind I wanted.  I was trying to replicate my Vokey's I had before this with D in the 54 and the M in the 58.  I like having one higher bounce, full sole option and one lower bounce thinner sole option.  It's not really super easy to do this on Cleveland as the Low grind dug too much for me and the full doesn't have much of any grind at all, so I had to kind of think outside the box here and live with mid bounce on both.

Like you, I currently have a Vokey M (8* bounce) grind in 60 and like it a lot. Cleveland says I should get a low (6*)bounce 60. I have read a few reviews saying the RTX low bounce tends to dig. Do you think the low or mid bounce plays more like the Vokey M grind? 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

50 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

Like you, I currently have a Vokey M (8* bounce) grind in 60 and like it a lot. Cleveland says I should get a low (6*)bounce 60. I have read a few reviews saying the RTX low bounce tends to dig. Do you think the low or mid bounce plays more like the Vokey M grind? 

I haven't used it outside yet (still freezing temps where I live) and the courses won't open for another month at best.  In the bay I found the Low+ 8* to dig a bit on full swings, hence the idea to bend weaker.  It looks like you could make a pseudo-M grind using either the Low or the Mid and adjusting the grind and leading edge with the Tour Rack products for a bit of an extra fee.  However, for me, I know 10* is usually decent, so I suspect that the weaker 58* Low+ will generally be fine.

• Thanks 1

I posted this week or 2 ago in another thread:

Didnt read the entire thread - but went to a demo day this past weekend at Miles of Golf here in Cincy.  The star of the show for me was the CBX zipcore 52* wedge with DG spinner 115.  I didnt take a picture since the Cleveland Rep was right there but I could not miss the center and I havent swung a club since Thanksgiving here in Ohio.  Feel was superb (subjective I know).  Repeated flights, carry, etc.  Im giving this club serious consideration at 50* since I mainly play that as a full swing approach club.  Just real easy to hit.

I also tried the rtx6 line and they were also great - considering going 54 and 58 there since those are my main around the green clubs.  Loads of spin, versatile, and easy to hit.

But the CBX zipcore was a real peach to swing.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Big fan of my OG zipcore tour rack.  Some of the best wedges I’ve ever played.  It would be really hard for me to change.  My gap wedge and 56* have custom grinds on them so that’s another reason.  They just go through the turf so nice and feel fantastic.  Pretty forgiving for a blade style wedge as well.  I’ve hit plenty off the toe and it still holds its line pretty well.

Cobra   Darkspeed LS 10.5   Accra Tz5 65 M5

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I was due for an upgrade after my MD5 raw wedges were getting towards the end of life. Decided to grab the RTX 6 tour rack solely based on the ability to customize the shaft and grip still. TT TI X100 are a no up-charge so it was a no brainer upgrade for me. 

Will the latest and greatest be a make or break for me? No but I’ll have wedges for the next 3-4 years to play and patina!

I really appreciate the RTX6. I had the original zipcores and liked them a lot. Very compact wedge head with a great feel.

The RTX6 are quite different. The face area is larger, and the changes that they've made for wet-weather spin is very noticeable.

I play in the Pacific NW and I notice a significant difference in spin with these wedges over the original zipcores. (and it's been cold and wet over the past couple of months). 

One interesting difference that I haven't seen Cleveland talking about with these wedges is that they have incorporated a different leading edge depending on which bounce you put into play. I have the Full bounce on my 56, and the leading edge is much less sharp than the lower bounce models. Playing in wet conditions, this is great. I feel that it really helps to keep the edge from digging. I can get a little yippy chipping or pitching from wet, thin lies in the winter, but I feel more confident since I started using the RTX6. 

Another note for those of you who like the black finish on your wedges. I play the Black Satin model in the RTX6, I also played the Black model in the zipcore. The og zipcores were more of a black pearl looking finish. When I first looked at the black satin, I was worried that they would scuff up really quickly and show a lot of wear like many of the black finishes on wedges do. They actually have held up really well. I 've had them since mid-December and have practiced and played quite a bit during the past couple of months. They look surprisingly good so far. I remember being disappointed at how quickly the og zipcores and the rtx full-face looked beat up. 

As far as spending the extra $ on a new wedge, I see the dilemma. I really liked both the og zipcores and the full-face wedges. I wasn't feeling that I needed an upgrade, but being on the Srixon/Cleveland playing staff, they sent the wedges in mid-December. After a couple of days of trying them, I could see that they were a big upgrade for me. I can use the extra forgiveness and I can definitely use any extra spin in wet conditions. 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2023 at 3:05 PM, belh22 said:

Any idea on when new full face released? 

No word from our rep yet. It came out a year after zipcore, so I am thinking that there will likely be an alternate year release schedule for it.

Keep in mind though, the RTX6 is very similar in size to the full face. Toe isn't as high, but the surface area seems similar. I loved both the og zipcore and the full face, RTX6 is a great compromise between the two. 

On 2/21/2023 at 9:16 PM, WristySwing said:

How've you been getting along with the 56* bent to 58*? 

I'm rounding out the bottom of my bag and need a 58*, and debating how I go about filling that role. Basically have 3 options that I can see...

Stock 58*/low with 6* bounce

Stock 56*/low+ bent to 58* (making it 10* bounce)

Stock 60*/mid bent to 58* (making it 8* bounce)

I already have the 52*/mid bent to 53* with 11* bounce. I'm very much on the shallow/picker end of the spectrum. So I don't need a ton of bounce or have a ton of concern with digging. It'll be replacing a 60* LW with 8* bounce, hence why the stock 60* bent is in the conversation to match the bounce of what it'd be replacing. 

What's really important to me is that I'll be able to open the face up. So the 10* of bounce, on paper, is giving me a little bit of pause. Have you hit many shots with your 56* bent to 58* with an open face? Particularly off tighter lies? 

Would be nice if I could hit all of the configurations above, but that's not gonna happen. So trying to make the most educated decision I can.

6 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

How've you been getting along with the 56* bent to 58*? 

I'm rounding out the bottom of my bag and need a 58*, and debating how I go about filling that role. Basically have 3 options that I can see...

Stock 58*/low with 6* bounce

Stock 56*/low+ bent to 58* (making it 10* bounce)

Stock 60*/mid bent to 58* (making it 8* bounce)

I already have the 52*/mid bent to 53* with 11* bounce. I'm very much on the shallow/picker end of the spectrum. So I don't need a ton of bounce or have a ton of concern with digging. It'll be replacing a 60* LW with 8* bounce, hence why the stock 60* bent is in the conversation to match the bounce of what it'd be replacing. 

What's really important to me is that I'll be able to open the face up. So the 10* of bounce, on paper, is giving me a little bit of pause. Have you hit many shots with your 56* bent to 58* with an open face? Particularly off tighter lies? 

Would be nice if I could hit all of the configurations above, but that's not gonna happen. So trying to make the most educated decision I can.

Sorry, can't be much help here.  I live in Canada and we just got another foot or so of snow on Saturday that has turned into a sheet of ice.  Long term forecasts for the next week are still mixed snow and ice. I figure best case scenario for courses to open and dry out are going to be first week of April at this rate, provided it gets weirdly warm the last 10-14 days of March and the winds pick up.  From what you are saying, on paper the standard Low makes the most sense.  It has the most aggressive grind of the bunch for allowing you to do some sort of face manipulation couple with the lowest bounce for your shallower delivery.

17 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Sorry, can't be much help here.  I live in Canada and we just got another foot or so of snow on Saturday that has turned into a sheet of ice.  Long term forecasts for the next week are still mixed snow and ice. I figure best case scenario for courses to open and dry out are going to be first week of April at this rate, provided it gets weirdly warm the last 10-14 days of March and the winds pick up.  From what you are saying, on paper the standard Low makes the most sense.  It has the most aggressive grind of the bunch for allowing you to do some sort of face manipulation couple with the lowest bounce for your shallower delivery.

No worries. Weather hasn't quite broken yet here in the midwest US either. Although I think we'll be out on the course soon. 

Regarding your recommendation on the standard 58*/6* low, isn't it the exact same grind as the low+? From what it looks like on their site, the only difference between the low and low+ is the extra 2* of bounce. 

Unless I go with the 60* bent down to 58*, whatever I opt for will have either 2* less or more bounce than my current gamer's 8* of bounce. Right or wrong, my leaning towards the 56*/8* low+ bent to 58*/10* is based on the following line of thinking.

Since I like to open the face with my LW, the low+ grind will be better suited for that. At the same time, having 10* bounce instead of 6* will be better suited for bunker play, as well as softer and/or fluffier lies. In short, my theory is that the configuration you play will be a little more versatile than the stock 58*/6*.

A nice bonus is the safety net this approach would give me if the 2 wedge transition doesn't work out. As I can just have the 53 bent back to the stock 52* loft. The 58* bent back to its stock 56* loft. And then pick up a 60*. 

Ultimately, I don't know that my choice will make much difference. Today I experimented with all my wedges off of both medium and very firm lies. The current gamers I'm replacing are 52*/8*, 56/14*, and 60*/8*. And all would be what I'd consider as mid grinds. And the RTX6 I just purchased is 53*/11*. 

I hit a variety of shots with all, and basically found no difference in playability. Even open face flops off of tight "hardpan" lies with my 56*/14* were no big deal. And confirming that, I'm leaning even more towards going the route you went. As open face shots won't be a problem for me wit a 58*/10* low+. Yet having some extra bounce may be nice for playability out of green side bunkers. 

• Like 1