2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)

18majors

1 hour ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

Lexi's had a number of issues that probably give many people few reasons to cut her much slack.

As for the media, that's what being a star is; you are under scrutiny.  Possibly, Lexi also hasn't turned into what the media tried to make her be, so they have turned on her / easy target.  [Edit] The media also exists to sell articles.  Had she been Hedwalled, almost certainly it would have been called a collapse, even if to little/no fault of hers.  Is anyone lighting up Ewing?  Again, that's what being a star entails.

The media are a bunch of shmucks and deserve to be treated as such. 

• Like 4

It’ll be interesting to compare Solheim cup to Ryder cup coverage. I wish they put up more carry/distance stats during the coverage. I think it would help us mortals better understand course management. Probably too expensive to have all the same trackman and such but it was kind of hard for me to follow. 

• Like 4

Congrats to the Europeans but it was a draw and both sides had players with mixed form throughout. Let's face it this tournament isn't about the best female golfers in the world against each other so the standard was not expected to be that high. Be interesting to see who survives for next year's encounter. With some players coming from nowhere to win LPGA tournaments upsetting the RR you would have to think there is only a few on both teams almost certain to make it.

The comment "Rose will be a US stalwart down the years" could be a little premature remember she made the USA team based on one pro playoff win and her very low RR divisor. She will need more top 10's over the next year or rely on a captains pick.

Always a fun tournament to watch and enjoyed this one more being so close.

• Like 2

@AKL Kiwi

Nice to know you’re alive and well!  

Regarding Rose, she’s clearly hasn’t accomplished professionally 10% of what Lydia has accomplished when Lydia was 20 years old.  But remember, she’s done better than Tiger Woods at this age.

We just need to wait and see.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

Congrats to the Europeans but it was a draw and both sides had players with mixed form throughout. Let's face it this tournament isn't about the best female golfers in the world against each other so the standard was not expected to be that high. Be interesting to see who survives for next year's encounter. With some players coming from nowhere to win LPGA tournaments upsetting the RR you would have to think there is only a few on both teams almost certain to make it.

The comment "Rose will be a US stalwart down the years" could be a little premature remember she made the USA team based on one pro playoff win and her very low RR divisor. She will need more top 10's over the next year or rely on a captains pick.

Always a fun tournament to watch and enjoyed this one more being so close.

A draw where one team got the cup and the other got paella 🙂 

I’ll get my coat…

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

@AKL Kiwi

Nice to know you’re alive and well!  

Regarding Rose, she’s clearly hasn’t accomplished professionally 10% of what Lydia has accomplished when Lydia was 20 years old.  But remember, she’s done better than Tiger Woods at this age.

We just need to wait and see.

LOL, missed her two other USGA Amateur Championship wins.  And Tiger had two pro wins when 20, she has . . . one, but has some time left.  Anyway, apples and oranges. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

This will make Ciganda especially and her teammates legends in their respective home countries beyond just hardcore golf fans. If you flip the results, the US players would be temporary heroes to a small subset of golf fans. In my opinion,  this disparity in passion from the outside is reflected in each side's mindset in these events. It's obviously not the sole variable,  but all things being equal talent wise, it shows

• Like 2

I say it every Solheim cup and every Ryder cup so I might as well say it again.....Not sure why anyone gets to excited about a team made up of 12 countries playing a single country. Before all the comments about how large the US is, consider how all these smaller countries compete against the US in all the other sports without teaming up.

Edited by wobgon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, khalespace said:

Yes, no other sport where a tie is a loss. 3 hole playoff with 2 players. After that sudden death.

Cricket.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

Is it OK when the media says good things about a player (and helps them earn millions of dollars)?  Time to put the big boy (or girl) pants on.

A players performance earns them money. Over exposed media coverage likely has hurt more athletes than helped them. Without the athletes those bums wouldn't have a job. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

A players performance earns them money. Over exposed media coverage likely has hurt more athletes than helped them. Without the athletes those bums wouldn't have a job. 

On course performance earns players prize money.  I think it would be incorrect to say that media coverage does not aid in endorsement dollars or that only performance brings in that money?

As for hurt more than helped, that may be true in absolute number, but that's not what the entire system is doing or why see the outcomes that we do (total opportunity for players to earn money).

The players (or tour) could always ask the media to go away (literally just don't cover the sport) or just not answer any questions.  Do you think anyone is up for that ex-ante?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I was thinking differently, but on that note I believe the talent pool is too deep world wide, but not quite deep enough stateside.

Hypothetically... if they reconfigured the Solheim Cup to be "Americas vs Europe"

... other than Brooke Henderson, who else has a decent chance to make the team? 

51 minutes ago, wobgon said:

I say it every Solheim cup and every Ryder cup so I might as well say it again.....Not sure why anyone gets to excited about a team made up of 12 countries playing a single country. Before all the comments about how large the US is, consider how all these smaller countries compete against the US in all the other sports without teaming up.

How? Not very well mostly.  Except soccer?

6 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Anne Van Dam has an equally great swing and she can't keep her LPGA card, most people think Lexi has a terrible swing but has 11 wins including a major. 

It takes more than a beautiful swing to get the job done.

yeah Anne aint no Linn Grant..won by 9 a yr ago and has 6 tour wins (LPGA/Euro)......at 24...

Edited by freddi22cl

52 minutes ago, wobgon said:

I'm under the impression it would be a unfair matchup US -vs- France, or US-vs-Denmark. Is there even 12 professional female golfers from Denmark, or France for that matter?