2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 LPGA Drive On Championship (Mar 23 - 26)

Argonne69

5 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Was "paying it forward" ! 

On the subject of "what rhymes with Boutier"...

(and an attempt to get that horrid earworn out of my head

a.k.a. "this girl is on fire" / Leona Maguire)

... this 1997 song 'Sympathique' has popped into my head ... dunno if you would categorise this band as 'faux french' (i would've guessed Quebec Canadian! But seems they're from Portland Oregon?)

... but the Lyrics/chorus of 'Sympathique' are catchy(?) ... each couplet = rhymes with "Boutier"... and the frenchy vibe = celebrates our new champion Celine?

Not bad - better then I'll do😅

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

22 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Most of the people would assume Yealimi is older because she's been on the tour for so long; but Gina is actually more than one year older.

Talking about ages, it's the slightly older players that are doing well so far this season. Having said that, there are a bunch of early 20s - Furue, Stark, Thitikul, Saso and Hataoka - with past wins. But no teenage sensations like Lydia Ko or Brooke Henderson breaking into the top tier yet. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Your image above shows why it is a decent fit on multiple fronts with the French Can Can dancing - that was in my mind.

Just completed a 4-show run of Monty Python's SPAMALOT and played the "Frenchies" scene as a can can dancer so it was fresh in my mind! Along with that ferocious rodent rabbit! 

stop motion rabbit GIF

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

Talking about ages, it's the slightly older players that are doing well so far this season. Having said that, there are a bunch of early 20s - Furue, Stark, Thitikul, Saso and Hataoka - with past wins. But no teenage sensations like Lydia Ko or Brooke Henderson breaking into the top tier yet. 

Gina was in limbo last season of too good for the Epson + not yet good enough for LPGA but she has better priority this season via top 10 Epson so she could bank enough starts to easily finish top 100

Edit - quoted wrong post , meant to @18majors- no way I put Gina in the same class as jeeno! 😂

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:04 PM, OnTheBag said:

You'd be surprised how those slots get assigned.  I will neither confirm nor deny that preferred tee times have been handed out to "favorites" and crappy tee times given to others because of a petty difference with an LPGA staff member.  People are people.  The LPGA staff and players are no exception.  

Not quite, tee times are broken into A and B groups based on CME points and often reshuffled multiple times throughout the season. GC producers do meet with rules officials and help try to select a few tv groups within that A grouping. 

Having worked for a highly popular player who was at one point stuck in the B pairings until a reshuffle. No conspiracy against players except the obvious TV times for the select few 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Ryann and Gina have been married since December 2021. 

Not anymore... 

17 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Grant Boone just described Ryann O'Toole as "Georgia Hall's good buddy"

Very politically correct from Grant. But Ryann and Georgia are definitely together. 

quite the story to be told there and that's a major understatement. All I will say is poor Harry 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, iamthebeard said:

Not quite, tee times are broken into A and B groups based on CME points and often reshuffled multiple times throughout the season. GC producers do meet with rules officials and help try to select a few tv groups within that A grouping. 

Having worked for a highly popular player who was at one point stuck in the B pairings until a reshuffle. No conspiracy against players except the obvious TV times for the select few 

Thanks.  I've been retired since 2017.  At one time, there was a "catty" situation with the schedulers and several players.  This was well before good TV coverage highlighted the need for Spotlight Groups.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

8 hours ago, pmcuk said:

Lots of older winners last year also.

11 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Mrs. Robinson?

I understand the "Mrs Robinson...are you trying to seduce me?" movie reference... albeit not sure how it's used in this Georgia/Ryann situation/context... is Ryann = "Mrs Robinson" in this context?

...can you also clarify the "poor Harry" context (was Harry = Georgia's significant other?  I haven't been following the characters in this soap-opera!)

..Edit: https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-game/who-is-georgia-halls-caddie-238685 

6 hours ago, iamthebeard said:

Not anymore... 

Very politically correct from Grant. But Ryann and Georgia are definitely together. 

quite the story to be told there and that's a major understatement. All I will say is poor Harry 

Edited by JungleJimbo

7 hours ago, iamthebeard said:

Not anymore... 

How much drama like this is on tour that we will never know about? I’d be really curious to hear some of it but not expecting you to reveal anything. 

Would some of it change the public opinions of some players? Is there a certain group that seems to be involved more of than not or stays out of it more often? From the outside it seems like the Koreans are very business like and don’t use the tour as dating/social scene. Am I way off base?

Something else that makes me curious is the groups and dating preferences. I could care less what someone’s preferences are but I’ll use an example. A friend of the family was a VERY high level softball player in the late ‘90’s/early 2000’s. When she was being recruited many schools were very open including having some coaches who encouraged teammates dating each other. She choose University of Arizona in part because they were a generally straight team. The coach didn’t have anything against a certain preference but just preferred to keep the drama of dating within the locker room off the team. Because of this certain players would specifically choose to go elsewhere because the locker room wasn’t a dating pool. 

…Edit… who got it worse, Harry of Gerina’s husband?

Edited by mallrat

25 minutes ago, mallrat said:

How much drama like this is on tour that we will never know about? I’d be really curious to hear some of it but not expecting you to reveal anything. 

Would some of it change the public opinions of some players? Is there a certain group that seems to be involved more of than not or stays out of it more often? From the outside it seems like the Koreans are very business like and don’t use the tour as dating/social scene. Am I way off base?

Something else that makes me curious is the groups and dating preferences. I could care less what someone’s preferences are but I’ll use an example. A friend of the family was a VERY high level softball player in the late ‘90’s/early 2000’s. When she was being recruited many schools were very open including having some coaches who encouraged teammates dating each other. She choose University of Arizona in part because they were a generally straight team. The coach didn’t have anything against a certain preference but just preferred to keep the drama of dating within the locker room off the team. Because of this certain players would specifically choose to go elsewhere because the locker room wasn’t a dating pool. 

@mallrat

I've only seen this 'expose' on the LPGA published in the Chicago Tribune

... otherwise i'm guessing those with 'inside-the-ropes' access (e.g. @OnTheBag, @iamthebeard) will continue to need to be discreet, given its a small world/tight-knit inner circle w.r.t. LPGA and player-caddie relationships, and rotating bags.

(a.k.a. i'm guessing it's a "i could tell ya.... but then i'd have to kill ya!" POV?)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-lpga-caddies-greenstein-spt-0702-20170701-column.html 

Edited by JungleJimbo

2 hours ago, mallrat said:

My cousin played high level womens rugby. Similar experience, she said that the team lost games or had down performances when the interdating drama exploded and that it could last a long while. I never thought to ask if it was ok by the coach or not. But yeah it caused major problems several times. Brother played rugby at similar level, I played D1 football. We did not have the same experience as my cousin with stealing another guys girlfriend/girl of a teammate, I dont think it ever really caused an issue with teh team for a game, stuff was put aside at most a fight in practice and things moved on pretty quick. 

I gotta say its pretty impressive that it all stays inhouse and it doesnt spill over when things go wrong. But I guess the media is busy with 150 other players each week, the mens game, the pga vs liv, and a whole bunch of other things and golf being a solo game you can avoid people.

Edited by Tasals

On 3/27/2023 at 9:13 AM, JungleJimbo said:

i like Celine Boutier's conservative strategy on 18th second shot (both the regulation 72nd hole, and in the playoff)... the "bailout to the right" gives a much easier chip (or long putt) and takes out the chance of a blow-up into the bunkers or water... but then again i'm an 18-hcp and not an LPGA pro in a playoff for the win!

Odd 'spin' that the LPGA social media wrote, in describing Celine Boutier's R4 72nd hole" "...Down one-shot, @celineboutier's decision to go for the green on 18 led to a birdie, forcing a playoff on her way to her first win of 2023..."

IMHO... it was a conservative (and non-risky) course-management strategy ... instead of going for the pin/ green & risking the greenside bunkers".

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Just completed a 4-show run of Monty Python's SPAMALOT and played the "Frenchies" scene as a can can dancer so it was fresh in my mind! Along with that ferocious rodent rabbit! 

stop motion rabbit GIF

Sensational, "Go on, Bors. Chop his head off".

I was thinking of the French taunting knight when contemplating whether I could pen a non-cringe tarara song.

Love the Pythons, my uncle was an English film actor who worked with them and knew them quite well. He had a memorable role in the Mr. Creosote story part in "the Meaning of Life", sitting on Graham Chapman's table, getting sprayed with Creosote's vomit.

So by association:

carl-spackler-meme-generator-so-i-got-that-goin-for-me-which-is-nice ...

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Odd 'spin' that the LPGA social media wrote, in describing Celine Boutier's R4 72nd hole" "...Down one-shot, @celineboutier's decision to go for the green on 18 led to a birdie, forcing a playoff on her way to her first win of 2023..."

IMHO... it was a conservative (and non-risky) course-management strategy ... instead of going for the pin/ green & risking the greenside bunkers".

I think you are spot on with this call but Georgia's approach with an 8I was poor.

Death and taxes, expected both Charging Charley and Narin An to play too aggressively with their approaches and blow them over the back - Charley because she can't control herself in this situation and had nothing to lose anyway and Narin because she is simply too aggressive with her shots under pressure.

They both did it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, woahnelly said:

She finished 8th on the money list in only 13 events. Grace Kim, who finished one spot above her, played 19 events. 

Perfect, she played better than Grace who actually finished 3 spots (5th) above her. How about Lucy, who only played 11 events and smoked Gina like a bad cigar. 

I understand you're a Gina fanboy, you've made that clear enough and but none of those players were too good for Epson or they wouldn't have been on the Epson.

28 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Perfect, she played better than Grace who actually finished 3 spots (5th) above her. How about Lucy, who only played 11 events and smoked Gina like a bad cigar. 

I understand you're a Gina fanboy, you've made that clear enough and but none of those players were too good for Epson or they wouldn't have been on the Epson.

Lucy is awesome too!  Gina was 4/13 cuts on the big tour last season, so it's good to see she was able to maintain her card (with good priority) for 2023 to see what she can do.  

22 hours ago, mallrat said:

Oh boy there's plenty of drama that goes on behind the scenes. and it definitely effects things at times. 

I didn't want to get into the details of the Georgia/Ryann situation only because I didn't want to muddy the waters of this thread with gossip. I enjoy the respectful fandom of the LPGA that goes on here and respect that myself.

I stepped away from the tour in 2021 but still very close with some friends made in those years. 

• Like 2

Intl Crown Watch 

Team China will fair better if Xiaowen Yin, 18 can finish strongly and move up the Rolex Rankings. Ruoning Yin is a promising 20 yr old who finished well last week, who is now safe  Both were top 10 in driving distance last week. Unfortunately for Yin, her success on the Epson Tour means little in the Rolex. 

Grace Kim + Sarah Kemp are within narrow distance for the 4th spot up for grabs. Minjee and Hannah anchor the team while Steph Sky is comfortably 3rd.