2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 Lotte Championship (Apr 12 - 15)

Argonne69

Steady Eddie golf by most of the players. No real fireworks, but Linnea really shot herself in the foot on the 14th. Still plenty of holes left to grab the lead again. 

Some really good putting, but at the same time there have been some real head stratchers. 

Yeah, compelling stuff. Too close to call, but it'll be interesting if Yu Liu grabs the clubhouse lead. Will the lead groups stumble or hang tight? 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Nice. Bonus golf. The 18th should set up nicely for some drama. 

Georgia didn't quite have the day many expected, but she's been on a real tear. She might not be the favorite next week at the Chevron, but she's definitely in the conversation. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Heck of a finish by Grace. Birdie, birdie, birdie finish was impressive. Book a flight to Houston. 

Yu Jin got a bit unlucky with the lie near the green, but a wonderful week for the young player. I'm sure we'll see her again. 

Tough for Yu to sit for an hour and come out firing. Great final round, though. Certainly made it interesting. 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Congratulations to the Epson Tour, they've a banner year thus far this year.  Lilia Vu (2021 graduate), Celine Boutier (2017), and now Grace Kim (2022) have won three of the six LPGA tournaments.

Hopefully, their success will eventually lead to increased TV exposure and much higher purses for the Tour.

Was Ruoning Yin = also an LPGA winner and graduate of the Epson Tour?

3 hours ago, pmcuk said:

. Vongtaveelap is definitely knocking on the door. .

My takeaway from watching this event is that Vongtaveelap with a putter in her hands is a ticket to adventure.  A couple times she hit one of the worst putts you're going to see from a pro and then made a lengthy comebacker.  Maybe it was just these greens, but she did not look comfortable to me.  Certainly has all the other tools though.

Good win for Grace Kim, won't be her last.  I was hoping that Yu Jin would close it out but it was not to be.  Glad she birdied 18 to get into the playoff.

Too bad the scheduling made for a "weak" field but that weak field made for an excitiing week of golf and exposure to some new names.  Love seeing the entire rookie class having a chance to get into an event.

Used to be that chatter was that Brooke played too many events, is Georgia Hall now playing too many?  She's on a heater, obviously, but at some point you have to think she's going to run out of gas.  Maybe she'll take a little time off after the Chevron.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Was Ruoning Yin = also an LPGA winner and graduate of the Epson Tour?

No, Ruoning played on the China LPGA, and then earned her LPGA card in Q Series. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

No, Ruoning played on the China LPGA, and then earned her LPGA card in Q Series. 

@JungleJimbo

Both Yin's, Ruoning and Xiaowen, finished inside Top-5 at Stage II of 2021 Q-School; Xiaowen was too young for Q-Series but Ruoning went ahead and qualified for LPGA through Q-Series.

I thought Xiaowen, two years younger than Ruoning, is the more talented of the two.  It would be interested to see who has the better career five years from now.

• Like 1

Just now, 18majors said:

@JungleJimbo

Both Yin's, Ruoning and Xiaowen, finished inside Top-5 at Stage II of 2021 Q-School; Xiaowen was too young for Q-Series but Ruoning went ahead and qualified for LPGA through Q-Series.

I thought Xiaowen, two years younger than Ruoning, is the more talented of the two.  It would be interested to see who has the better career five years from now.

I also look forward to seeing how they compare to the career of Amy Yang.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

Congratulations to the Epson Tour, they've a banner year thus far this year.  Lilia Vu (2021 graduate), Celine Boutier (2017), and now Grace Kim (2022) have won three of the six LPGA tournaments.

Hopefully, their success will eventually lead to increased TV exposure and much higher purses for the Tour.

Grace Kim also won as an amateur on the Women's All Pro Tour in 2021 at my home course here in Texas. She had a 9 shot lead going into the back nine on the final day and ended up winning by 2 after a wild back nine. 

Here was her back nine that day. 

Par

Triple Bogey

Birdie 

Par

Bogey

Eagle

Par

Double Bogey

Bogey

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Nice. Bonus golf. The 18th should set up nicely for some drama. 

Georgia didn't quite have the day many expected, but she's been on a real tear. She might not be the favorite next week at the Chevron, but she's definitely in the conversation. 

For whatever reason, Georgia got in her own head, her play slowed up significantly. She can be deliberate, but I've never seen her this indecisive. Her ball striking went off.

All the hallmarks of a player that will regress for awhile until they find their best game again.

She's quality though, won't be for long.,

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 minute ago, Rapidcat said:

For whatever reason, Georgia got in her own head, her play slowed up significantly. She can be deliberate, but I've never seen her this indecisive. Her ball striking went off.

All the hallmarks of a player that will regress for awhile until they find their best game again.

Didn't she have pretty much the same issue at the end of an event very recently?  I think even with the lead/playoff situation or potential playoff in terms of letting it slip away.  Definitely seemed to slow down because of the pressure a bit and maybe accumulating some scar tissue, hope it isn't long term.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

I saw the same thing and even commented to the wife about how "deliberate" Georgia Hall was. Especially on the back nine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Didn't she have pretty much the same issue at the end of an event very recently?  I think even with the lead/playoff situation or potential playoff in terms of letting it slip away.  Definitely seemed to slow down because of the pressure a bit and maybe accumulating some scar tissue, hope it isn't long term.

Interesting point, I didn't notice it over the last couple of events when she has been in contention but it may be a pointer to how she is currently handling pressure.

There's a caddie sub-plot in all this. Her long-term male caddie was her fiancée, they split and she has had a couple of new caddies, could that be an issue? I don't know.

She's been playing great golf, just not quite getting the wins. 

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Sigh. $100 to any local fan who goes and punctures the tires on the vehicle with the backup beeper. Oy. 

You wonder why the on-site broadcast director (or whatever the on-site boss is called) let this issue run for 4 days.

On day 1 I went outside my house to see if there was some construction work happening that I wasn't aware of. Nope, it was this event.

Surely get the vehicles stopped, sound-proof or near such the broadcast booth or just move the thing to a quieter location.

So many duds in these roles these days, no initiative.

• Like 2

First post here. Follower of forum/LPGA/PGA for quite some time... couple of observations from this wk's tourney:

a) Vongtaveelap -- certainly athletic, Sim300 has the tools, but will she have the mental gumption?  Always floundered on the final round - data points?  Asia Pac Amateur, etc... Lost to Hashimoto and Huang (one despite a "sizeable lead".  Some can say luck, but I'd say lack of mental fortitude.  She's young so has the time...

b) Kim is a deserving winner! Congratulations.   Adds to an increasing list of first time winners. 3rd "first time winner" for 2023 and dare I say more to come with this crop of rookies (Katsu etc.)

c) Clearly the commentators looked biased for a Hall victory.  They need to do a tad more work on the international players.  And as rightly pointed out already, what's with the "I'm backing up the truck" beep.  Irritating to say the least. 

d) as with most R4 LPGA tourneys, hot putter and comebacks from 5 strokes make it exciting - eg Minjee Evian win, Yu Liu last night, etc

• Like 4

Some random observations......

I enjoyed the commentary team mix:

• Angela is spot-on, nice insight and pleasant voice, knows her stuff. More of her, please. 
  • Enjoy Mark Rolfing doing the Hawaii events (female and male), refreshing to hear him call a shot for what it is "that was a poor shot" rather than the usual commentators' efforts of "that wasn't what she wanted", "she won't be happy with that" etc. Others should take note. He loves pronouncing Hawaiian names, sort of fun.
  • Grant Boone is like a comfy pair of slippers in front of a warm fire on a wintry night whilst enjoying a cocoa or whiskey with a Labrador at your feet. Just needs to ditch his 6 factoids every event that he repeats ad nauseam eg Christina Kim is on her 21st season on the LPGAT etc. Love to have a $ for every time he uses the term 'major champion'.
  • Karen talked a little less than usual (good), Kay was her decent self.

Natthakritta Vongtaveelap: why show mainly her putts when we all want to see her hit her driver (Sim 300)?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bcjim said:

Not a Lotte US gals in contention...

This guy will be happy then (this is a reply on Grant Boone's twitter feed):

image.png.063d3f64a17672926b191c721ba91d40.png

• Sad 2