2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Calling All Broomstick Users

OspreyCI

On 12/18/2023 at 8:45 AM, cw1209 said:

For you guys with the Lab broomstick, what head weight did you go with? 485, 500 (std), or 515 gm? I have rolled a few variations of the Odyssey 2 ball broomstick which have a 450 gm head weight. 500 gm seems super heavy. If you had the yips, I think you would want to go heavy. I don't struggle with my stroke/path. My thought was to go with the lighter 485 gm head. At the same time, I'm sure Lab decided on 500 gm as standard for a reason. 

Also wondering same thing … what head weight best for LAB broom? After playing a round with a player that shot his age (74) for 1st time using a relatively new broomstick Mezz Max - w/ no 3-putts entire round, and several birds with a final 12-footer to clinch the feat … I became a true LAB believer!  Also curious what color head that LAB’ers are happy with? Does the anodized dark colors hold up with limited chips/scratches? Thank you!

On 12/29/2023 at 11:08 AM, BradyF said:

In short, the answer is no.  I used various broomstick last year and along with the sensor being covered by thumb and/or the putter face being so far from sensor, it RARELY picked up putt.  

This was the #1 reason I cancelled Arccoss for the upcoming season.  IMO, if it can't record your putts properly and are you constantly worried about pin locations, you aren't focused on what you should be focused on.  I'm a stat head but it became much to cumbersome around the green.  And IMO, if you aren't properly locating flag and proper distance of putts, ALL of the strokes gained data is skewed (approach, around the green AND putting).  They have a way to go on the tech before I fork over $150 again.

I am not sure if you saw a post on here that saved me with respect to Arccos.  The way I do it is to screw the putting sensor all together  - mark the flag and then look at my path I walked on the green you can see exactly where you putted from - I edit the round and fix the first putts - it does not allow you to set the other putts but it is not bad.  For me the main use of Arccos is the caddie I do not care about the stats that much other than my score. 

It is an easy fix for Arccos - just allow light from the side of the sensor, or use a non-powered sensor - the latter hurts their revenue stream. They are a PITA overall and obviously are not the sharpest knives in the drawer or they would not have so many problems like my favorite of using white numbers to set the pin that are often displayed over a bunker so you can not see them when trying to set the pin location - how could that still be a thing? That should never have made it into the product when it would be so easy to fix.  They never respond and should be overtaken by someone that cares about their customers

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

On 1/1/2024 at 5:22 PM, GauchoGuy said:

Also wondering same thing … what head weight best for LAB broom? After playing a round with a player that shot his age (74) for 1st time using a relatively new broomstick Mezz Max - w/ no 3-putts entire round, and several birds with a final 12-footer to clinch the feat … I became a true LAB believer!  Also curious what color head that LAB’ers are happy with? Does the anodized dark colors hold up with limited chips/scratches? Thank you!

My LAB brooms have " between the grips.  The colors hold up fine if you use a putter cover 🙂 I am always blown away by people in carts that the first thing they do is remove all their covers and you hear the clatter of the clubs banging against each other - brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.

Colors - I have green from the Augusta putter, black, red, blue and just got orange on a DF 2.1 broom.  The blue is a MEZZ Max and it is very cool, but the orange is my favorite color.

So as to not put 3 posts into this thread, I wanted to update my grip journey with the broom here.  I have been doing the Adam Scott setup and always thought the left arm thing looked painful and can confirm it is not natural for me.  I do that exact same setup but my left arm is following my chest - not anchored but just off - it seems to want to go there.

The reason this is important IMO is that if you are thinking about aiming your freaking elbow at the hole you are not putting.  I aim the putter, take my stance and fire.  Things are starting to lock in now.  Got out to practice tonight at 37º and made 2 22 footers to start and LMAO that I have something way better for my setup 🙂 

• Like 1

Just purchased a second hand LAB broomstick. Did a quick at home measurement to check length (44") and lie (77°). This seemed to fit, so I went ahead and purchased. Now reading that lie angle should almost always be 79.5° for maximum benefit. Am I really at a disadvantage losing the 2.5° on the lie angle or is it splitting hairs?

I say give it a go and see how it works. I am guessing that all will be fine. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq White 6F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Ping iCrossover 2 w/ Linq White 100F5

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ UST Wedge Proto F5

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, YankeesChiefsMizzou said:

Just purchased a second hand LAB broomstick. Did a quick at home measurement to check length (44") and lie (77°). This seemed to fit, so I went ahead and purchased. Now reading that lie angle should almost always be 79.5° for maximum benefit. Am I really at a disadvantage losing the 2.5° on the lie angle or is it splitting hairs?

I agree. Give it a shot. Kind of wished mine was little flatter. 

Edited by OspreyCI

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

14 hours ago, YankeesChiefsMizzou said:

It all depends on your set up. I am 6 1" and found the 78 to be better for me than the 79.5. If something feels of then the lie may beed to be adjusted, but for so many people brooming is a trial and error endeavor. Thus you will see these for sale and then bought up real quickly. You can always send it back to lab and they will adjust the lie for around $100 I think. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, wayward_points said:

Just scooped up a Mezz.1 Max Broomstick. Decided to go with a black head, black accra shaft, lab split grip, 79.5⁰ lie, and settled on 45". I wasn't sure on the length but wanted to go the Lucas Glover route haha. 

Great setup. Let’s us know how you do with it. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Anyone else re-thinking the length of their broomsticks? I went with the Adam Scott ratio 6’0 plays at 45 inches (I am 5’9 playing at 42), but the other pros seem to be 6’2 at 45 or 6’1 at 44. This ratio would put me at 5’9 playing at 40. Anyone playing a broom that short? 

Rogue ST Triple Diamond 9°/ Ventus Blue TR 7X
Ping G410 15.5°/ Tour AD DI 8x
Taylormade P790 UDI 2/ Ventus Blue 9x
Mizuno Pro 243/ N.S Pro Modus Tour 125s
Mizuno T22 Wedges 50°-55°-60°/ Project X 6.0 Wedge Shafts
Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

1 hour ago, ohiogolfer58 said:

Anyone else re-thinking the length of their broomsticks? I went with the Adam Scott ratio 6’0 plays at 45 inches (I am 5’9 playing at 42), but the other pros seem to be 6’2 at 45 or 6’1 at 44. This ratio would put me at 5’9 playing at 40. Anyone playing a broom that short? 

I have been at the Broomstick thing for a couple of months now and has been quite the journey. I have tried so many things and I am kind of going to a spot I am at with the full swing. I try to help a lot of people with their swings and I always come back to the paper wad toss into a garbage can method. WTF does that mean? Well, it means that the human body/mind is smart enough to do whatever you want it to do based on your thoughts.  When you toss the paper wad into the can, what is your make percentage? Pretty damned high. Walking up stairs, how often do you trip? Is there any conscious thought? Imagine walking up the stairs worried about shallowing out your leg, or making sure your knee is aimed at the target? Sounds really stupid right? Why is it OK with golf? It's not.

I think you can figure out "your" Broomstick setup by going out on a green and playing around to see what feels right. If it feels right, it IS right, for YOU? For me, I hate aiming my left arm like Adam Scott - I keep my left arm close to my body. Much to my amazement, it is super easy to hold it just off the body. I putt best when the brain turns off and I just go, because no two of my strokes are ever the same.  I would encourage you to play around.

I have two LAB brooms - MEZZ Max 79.5º and 45", and a DF 2.1 79.5º and 46". I do not think that inche change matters at all, because I adjust to it. I am dying to try a regular length putter with a super upright lie angle though, but that is an endless trap to keep experimenting and changing. I have stopped thinking about things and it has really helped. It will be interesting to see how I feel at this time next year after a full year of putting this way.  Even 2 months in, I get a lot of comments about how well I putt with the broom - they really work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ohiogolfer58 said:

Anyone else re-thinking the length of their broomsticks?

I have been testing shorter and shorter and liking it more and more. I was lucky to find a Ping Nome 500 Long Putter, which is totally adjustable in length. Weird design but it's cool to have that option for testing and messing around. I'm around 6'1" or 6'2" in golf shoes and started with an Odyssey White Ice Dart two seasons ago @ 48". Eventually cut it down to 46.5" and was contemplating more. Found the Nome this year, and if I had to guess I'm at around 45" or so with a much heavier head, probably 25 extra grams in lead tape. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

I have been at the Broomstick thing for a couple of months now and has been quite the journey. I have tried so many things and I am kind of going to a spot I am at with the full swing. I try to help a lot of people with their swings and I always come back to the paper wad toss into a garbage can method. WTF does that mean? Well, it means that the human body/mind is smart enough to do whatever you want it to do based on your thoughts.  When you toss the paper wad into the can, what is your make percentage? Pretty damned high. Walking up stairs, how often do you trip? Is there any conscious thought? Imagine walking up the stairs worried about shallowing out your leg, or making sure your knee is aimed at the target? Sounds really stupid right? Why is it OK with golf? It's not.

I think you can figure out "your" Broomstick setup by going out on a green and playing around to see what feels right. If it feels right, it IS right, for YOU? For me, I hate aiming my left arm like Adam Scott - I keep my left arm close to my body. Much to my amazement, it is super easy to hold it just off the body. I putt best when the brain turns off and I just go, because no two of my strokes are ever the same.  I would encourage you to play around.

I have two LAB brooms - MEZZ Max 79.5º and 45", and a DF 2.1 79.5º and 46". I do not think that inche change matters at all, because I adjust to it. I am dying to try a regular length putter with a super upright lie angle though, but that is an endless trap to keep experimenting and changing. I have stopped thinking about things and it has really helped. It will be interesting to see how I feel at this time next year after a full year of putting this way.  Even 2 months in, I get a lot of comments about how well I putt with the broom - they really work

Great stuff man. Well said about how to use any club, especially the broom. Use what works. My right hand grip is not like anyone I have seen uses and it just works. I played 9 on Sat and played 3 balls per hole. I was rolling bombs when I though of nothing but staring at the ball until it was gone. Wow! Made a couple 20 and 30 footers. Do not try and peek and the big ole club head in the backswing. Star and a dimple until it on its way. Man this broom works! 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

10 hours ago, TonyRo said:

I have been testing shorter and shorter and liking it more and more. I was lucky to find a Ping Nome 500 Long Putter, which is totally adjustable in length. Weird design but it's cool to have that option for testing and messing around. I'm around 6'1" or 6'2" in golf shoes and started with an Odyssey White Ice Dart two seasons ago @ 48". Eventually cut it down to 46.5" and was contemplating more. Found the Nome this year, and if I had to guess I'm at around 45" or so with a much heavier head, probably 25 extra grams in lead tape. 

For me, shorter is better to get a little more bent over. 5’10” and 44”. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 1/8/2024 at 8:29 AM, TonyRo said:

Where did you find one? And do you happen to know the lie angle? Tried researching last night and couldn't find anything outside of "black dot" which means standard. Just not sure if that's standard at 70* which seems unlikely for a broomstick model. Also, the shortest the 500 model goes is 44.5". After measuring what feels comfortable, I would need something in the 42"-44" range. Is there a way to cut a couple inches off the putter, or does the adjustable shaft prevent this? 

On 1/8/2024 at 8:29 AM, TonyRo said:

I'm around 6'1" or 6'2" in golf shoes and started with an Odyssey White Ice Dart two seasons ago @ 48". Eventually cut it down to 46.5" and was contemplating more. Found the Nome this year, and if I had to guess I'm at around 45" or so with a much heavier head, probably 25 extra grams in lead tape. 

If anyone uses the "piston style" (generating speed with just lower hand) then you can ignore this, but I feel like you are getting to what appears to be the "sweet spot" for length. I obviously don't know what pro's heights are in golf shoes, but I would imagine that the heights recorded are roughly around what they are with golf shoes. 6'2 at 45" seems to be what is trending. 

Rogue ST Triple Diamond 9°/ Ventus Blue TR 7X
Ping G410 15.5°/ Tour AD DI 8x
Taylormade P790 UDI 2/ Ventus Blue 9x
Mizuno Pro 243/ N.S Pro Modus Tour 125s
Mizuno T22 Wedges 50°-55°-60°/ Project X 6.0 Wedge Shafts
Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

2 hours ago, ohiogolfer58 said:

If anyone uses the "piston style" (generating speed with just lower hand) then you can ignore this, but I feel like you are getting to what appears to be the "sweet spot" for length. I obviously don't know what pro's heights are in golf shoes, but I would imagine that the heights recorded are roughly around what they are with golf shoes. 6'2 at 45" seems to be what is trending. 

Yeah I'd agree that about an inch either way for that will likely be where I settle. Feels very comfortable!

3 hours ago, dmecca2 said:

Where did you find one? And do you happen to know the lie angle? Tried researching last night and couldn't find anything outside of "black dot" which means standard. Just not sure if that's standard at 70* which seems unlikely for a broomstick model. Also, the shortest the 500 model goes is 44.5". After measuring what feels comfortable, I would need something in the 42"-44" range. Is there a way to cut a couple inches off the putter, or does the adjustable shaft prevent this? 

I found it on eBay during last season. I actually didn't even know PING made a long putter besides a few super old ones like the B90. I was very excited to find it, as I'm a big PING fan and was happy to have something in the bag. I'm guessing the long versions are quite rare by now. Bonus points for adjustability and a slightly heavy head (to which I added lead tape anyway). I reached out to support to see if I could get a lie angle for you. This putter also came with a few different shafting options in accordance with PING's "Fit for Stroke" campaign if I recall correctly, which might change the lie. Some heads are labeled "straight", "strong arc" etc. Naturally, the broomstick one is "straight", but "slight arc" versions might exist as well, I'm not sure. If all else fails I can compare it to my 79.5-degree LABs and take a guess. The upper shaft that slides in and out is actually graphite - I don't see why, with a little care, you couldn't trim this section and regrip it. You could also see how long the belly versions stretch to and just add head weight to taste. Good luck!

Edited by TonyRo

54 minutes ago, TonyRo said:

I found it on eBay during last season. I actually didn't even know PING made a long putter besides a few super old ones like the B90. I was very excited to find it, as I'm a big PING fan and was happy to have something in the bag. I'm guessing the long versions are quite rare by now. Bonus points for adjustability and a slightly heavy head (to which I added lead tape anyway). I reached out to support to see if I could get a lie angle for you. This putter also came with a few different shafting options in accordance with PING's "Fit for Stroke" campaign if I recall correctly, which might change the lie. Some heads are labeled "straight", "strong arc" etc. Naturally, the broomstick one is "straight", but "slight arc" versions might exist as well, I'm not sure. If all else fails I can compare it to my 79.5-degree LABs and take a guess. The upper shaft that slides in and out is actually graphite - I don't see why, with a little care, you couldn't trim this section and regrip it. You could also see how long the belly versions stretch to and just add head weight to taste. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Trying to get my hands on a (very) cheap model to try out and feel if it's something I could do/learn. The adjustable nome checks a lot of boxes for me, but they're incredibly rare for some reason. Probably sitting in a lot of basements by now. The only model I see for sale is the 405g belly putter version, which extends out to 44" or 45", but I imagine the lie angle is completely wrong. If they're the same lie angle, maybe I can grab that one, add some (a lot of) lead tape, and regrip to test.

Haha - one of my dad's expressions I heard many times was "...you need to have your head examined..." Man was he right 🙂  I have my Putt Out mat set up indoors so that I can practice putting randomly throughput the day as I pas the mat. I use both my DF and MEZZ Max brooms all the time, but I also use my regular length LAB herd as well, just to stay fresh with putting that way - just in case (Yes see head examination comment above).

I have found as I go further down the broom path it has changed my ability to putt with a "normal length putter at this point in time.  I can adapt back to it with practice, but my brain is asking, why are we bent over this much and adding arc into the putting stroke when we could be putting at the 79.5º lie angle and reduce the arc? That really hit me today and being an engineer, I can not unsee that - and so I started trying to put with the brooms holding the lower grip like a regular putter - yeah it had to be a sight. Then I used my regular putters at an estimated 79.5º lie angle. My arms hand more vertically and the putter length reduced due to being more upright.

This really seems like a winner in my book. So much so, that some idiot I know is contemplating ordering a 79.5º putter. @labgolf I am having heartburn over this. The issue is that the regular length putters "feel" really light compared to the brooms. I have preferred the DF 2.1 over the MEZZ and MEZZ Max due to feel and stability especially under pressure. The DF 2.1 has no heavy head option and MEZZ Max does. Is there a way to order the DF 2.1 heavier (or is it not needed since I will get used to it? I have 2 custom DF 2.1s and one of them is slightly heavier and I putt way better with that one.

As far as lie angle - after using the brooms I think you can adapt to the lie angle of the putter and IMO,  I would recommend that everyone should be using the most upright putter they can to reduce the arc in the stroke so it is more linear.  A SBST stroke would be possible with a 90º lie angle putter and 79.5º is better than my 68º

@labgolf I would love to hear your comments on this - an order is ginned up on my machine 🙂 Actually 2 orders are, I am just not sure which one will go, and I do not want to order 2 more 🙂  I love the weight of the MEZZ Max broom at 45" standard weight versus the DF 2.1 broom - it just feels slightly more solid overall - both have the TPT shaft

Edited by ajlacombe

I am still rotating between the MEZZ Max heavy at 45" and DF 2.1 at 46" and am not sure where things will end up - I am still letting my puting style develop with the broom.  The broom has ruined my short putter putting because it now feels like I am way bent over if I use my 68º lie angle - hands seem too low.

The broom is really growing on me.  My next conquest is the 79.5º standard length putter.  Ws choosing between MEZZ Max have and DF 2.1 standard and that was solved today when I got an email about ordering a new putter, which I ordered. Should be here in 2-4 weeks is the build time.  Should be a fun time testing things out.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:20 PM, wayward_points said:

Just scooped up a Mezz.1 Max Broomstick. Decided to go with a black head, black accra shaft, lab split grip, 79.5⁰ lie, and settled on 45". I wasn't sure on the length but wanted to go the Lucas Glover route haha. 

Got the same except went with 44” and I’m 5’11” for those interested.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

9 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Got to e same except went with 44” and I’m 5’11” for those interested.

I actually submitted a video for them to analyze and they suggested I go with 44" and 79.5⁰ lie angle so they made the adjustments. Just got my putter yesterday..super quick turnaround time and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. We also went with the heavier weights. Excited to put this through it's paces before the season starts. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 1:27 PM, wayward_points said:

I actually submitted a video for them to analyze and they suggested I go with 44" and 79.5⁰ lie angle so they made the adjustments. Just got my putter yesterday..super quick turnaround time and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. We also went with the heavier weights. Excited to put this through it's paces before the season starts. 

Awesome and GL with the new stick. I think I'm going to send mine back and have them switch the weight from standard to lighter.  I'm consistently leaving putts short and when I try and take a longer stroke it goes to far.  So would rather go lighter so I can hit it harder with a shorter stroke.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X