2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Calling All Broomstick Users

OspreyCI

2 hours ago, TommyTank said:

Following along on this as i'm interested in a LAB Mezza 1 Max..

Looking at Lucas Glover he's 6'2 and uses a 45" model - he really seems hunched over

I'm 5'8 so in relation i'd use a 39" which seems a little too short - I have a 39" armlock and i used that as reference

I'm thinking maybe 42"

Thoughts?

It really does depend on your posture.  I've found that longer ones lead me to stand up too upright.  That feels comfortable but is not the best for a good stroke.  It's easier to rock the shoulders properly if you have some forward bend.   I'm 5-9 and just bought a 44" putter.  That seems about right for me, but I feel I could go as short as 42".    It's easier to shorten one than to extend one, although extending isn't hard to do if need be.

• Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I am 6.3 and putt like McCarron, I have a 45" Ping B90 that I hold very upright... think its a touch too short for me but its the length I got when I started to dabble with a broom. Might extend it going forward... 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

On 7/17/2023 at 4:22 AM, kenstl said:

How are most of you using your broomstick putters?

1. face on

2. stance perpendicular to the line

3. open stance

and then what hand position?

I am using the DF 2.1.   I put with a open stance to the line about 30 degrees, right hand with palm on backside of shaft and finger down the shaft.  I also like to lift the putter head off of the ground prior to starting the putter head back so that it creates a free flowing pendulum stroke.  On really long putts I like to look at the hole when putting.  I am interested in hearing what others doing as always trying to improve on those 4-12' putts.  

Perpendicular, left arm parallel like McCarron video and right hand down the shaft with index finger running down grip (fairly normal RH grip). 

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

57 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

It really does depend on your posture.  I've found that longer ones lead me to stand up too upright.  That feels comfortable but is not the best for a good stroke.  It's easier to rock the shoulders properly if you have some forward bend.   I'm 5-9 and just bought a 44" putter.  That seems about right for me, but I feel I could go as short as 42".    It's easier to shorten one than to extend one, although extending isn't hard to do if need be.

Thanks - I putt with not much if any knee bend and relatively upright using a 33" inch putter  - im leaning toward a 42" between my belly button an lower sternum feels good  - but checking w the LAB guys 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

I am 5’10 and my DF Broom was 46” when I got it from a friend. Did a video and LAB suggested I take it to 44”. I sent it back and they cut it down, rebalanced, and made it a heavy head. Love it at 44” and could even go 43”. This thing is just so good.

I got a comment from a guy today while practicing that I got a “Lucas Glover putter?”. I said , No, he copied me, I had mine first.  Lol. The guy sat and watched me drain one after another while practicing. Lol. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 8/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, Snowman9000 said:

Agree... I put pretty upright with a 33" standard style putter so we'll see - my goal is to have every style putter 🙂

- standard (Lots)

- arm lock ( Odyssey 2 ball ten  tour lined)

- counterbalanced (Odyssey Jailbird)

- broomstick (LAB Mezz-1 Max)

Had a broomstick a number of years ago, found it at a thrift store. Not even sure what brand it was - definitely a bad, no-name brand and it was really short. I liked it, but I was in my 20s and felt like vanity prevented me from embracing it. 

I am left handed and there are really no cheap options that I like on eBay, so I was able to purchase components and I’ll put it together myself just to see if it’s worth converting fully. 

found a knock-off brand ghost type mallet that was made extra heavy for longer putters. $25

found the ski-pole type shaft with single bend option at 48” for $30.

super stroke split grip was maybe $35. All in less than $100 and the setup should get me to 79* lie angle, and the head weight is around 450grams. 

I’ll install the shaft and mess around with gripping it at different levels of knee/waist bend before cutting at the desired length. 

I’m 5’8 and like to feel bent over more when putting so I am guessing it will be somewhere near 42-43” playing length. 

the lead arm being perpendicular can be done at any height as long as your waist bend is proper and it’s comfortable. McCarron seems most comfortable fairly upright. 

for those on the fence just know you can get yours put together for under $100 before pulling the trigger on a $550+ putter. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JJP84 said:

Have golfers gone mad? image.png.7faafe471104168e0170ad44d1e8fe85.png

This is so silly... you can get it brand new, with fitting and the upgraded shaft for <$1000 if I am not mistaken... 

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

On 5/9/2023 at 1:53 PM, OspreyCI said:

For all the Broomstick users out there. What length is your stick. Mine is 46” and I am 5’10” and LAB says I should send it back in and have them cut it down to 44”. This suggestion is from the online fitting I sent in with my current (non fit) LAB DF 2.1. 

I am looking to get more bend in my setup and 46” is not letting me do that. I am trying to get a setup more like Adam Scott. 

What length are you guys using? 

I’m 6’3” and I use a 45” and 78* lie which is the exact same putter and specs as Glover & Scott

• Like 1

I went down to my local club champion and took a risk, they had never had a customer fit into the mezz broomstick.  Length was really hard to nail down, we drivers / FW / hybrids all trying to get the length.  I’m 5’7 and ended up at 43 79.5 lie.  It could be a very expensive experiment.  Why doesn’t LAB make a telescoping @labgolfdemo model for their fitters?

18 hours ago, ddbowdoin said:

I went down to my local club champion and took a risk, they had never had a customer fit into the mezz broomstick.  Length was really hard to nail down, we drivers / FW / hybrids all trying to get the length.  I’m 5’7 and ended up at 43 79.5 lie.  It could be a very expensive experiment.  Why doesn’t LAB make a telescoping @labgolfdemo model for their fitters?

Think it may affect the Lie Angle Balance having read other articles on this but dont quote me. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May be an obvious question, but how are people deciding on length/lie? Guessing? I kinda want to try one, but have no idea what to even look for. Would prefer secondhand/outlet since this is just an experiment.

My current LAB putters are 34" / 69 lie. 5"8 and I'd say kinda neutral putting. Not too bend over, not too upright.

Edited by chocolate_rehab

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

6 hours ago, chocolate_rehab said:

May be an obvious question, but how are people deciding on length/lie? Guessing? I kinda want to try one, but have no idea what to even look for. Would prefer secondhand/outlet since this is just an experiment.

My current LAB putters are 34" / 69 lie. 5"8 and I'd say kinda neutral putting. Not too bend over, not too upright.

I say do the video fitting with LAB. I bought mine at 46” and felt I was standing too upright, did the video fitting with it, and they suggested cutting it down to 44”. Love it at 44” and I am 5’10”. 

Edited by OspreyCI

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I noticed something interesting when Adam and Sam are both using the Broom. Adams lead arm or elbow is pointing parallel to the target like we have discussed here, but Sam's is more towards his side. Do you guys worry what the lead arm/elbow is doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHXNs1kkIa8?si=0CbVnx_43ikPCzxR

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 9/16/2023 at 7:26 AM, OspreyCI said:

I noticed something interesting when Adam and Sam are both using the Broom. Adams lead arm or elbow is pointing parallel to the target like we have discussed here, but Sam's is more towards his side. Do you guys worry what the lead arm/elbow is doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHXNs1kkIa8?si=0CbVnx_43ikPCzxR

I use mine with my elbow out like Scott, however I must say be use has been up and down with the long putter.  I have had some lights out rounds, and other rounds with multiple and too many 3 putts.  It is still a work in progress for me in getting better round to round consistency without major swings however I am committed to it and do not see going back to a shorter putter any time soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

On 9/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, OspreyCI said:

I putt like this, I feel it helps me align to the target and feel square. I set up with the butt end in my chest and measure off, push my hand away from my chest and then rock the shoulders to stroke. Works really well... I work on getting left elbow pointing to target. Works really well.

Anyone with good material on Broomhandle putting styles and techniques? So little out there...

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Thanks. Yes, the elbow pointing parallel just works for me. I also use, and sticking with, the right hand grip almost like a normal grip. I do not use the pencil or claw. Tried and tried to make those work. 

Spent last two days trying the Link, 34” Mezz, Mezz Max, DF 2.1 and Armlock 2.1 at PGA SS and 2nd Swing. Nothing can even come close to how good my 2.1 Broomstick is. Felt good to be reminded of that since curiosity gets you on this site sometimes. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 7/16/2023 at 10:22 PM, kenstl said:

How are most of you using your broomstick putters?

1. face on

2. stance perpendicular to the line

3. open stance

and then what hand position?

I am using the DF 2.1.   I put with a open stance to the line about 30 degrees, right hand with palm on backside of shaft and finger down the shaft.  I also like to lift the putter head off of the ground prior to starting the putter head back so that it creates a free flowing pendulum stroke.  On really long putts I like to look at the hole when putting.  I am interested in hearing what others doing as always trying to improve on those 4-12' putts.  

Face On (Sidesaddle) also with a DF 2.1 (46.5 inches)

46 minutes ago, flubberlange said:

Agree. Probably one of the best videos out on broomsticking but he forgot about ball position.

Yea, important one and someone made a comment and they replied. I read that one. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

14 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Yea, important one and someone made a comment and they replied. I read that one. 

Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting thing is I seem to get better results with my dominant eye over the ball. I’m right eye dominant so it means, at least to me, putting the ball further back in my stance - not forward. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flubberlange said:

Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting thing is I seem to get better results with my dominant eye over the ball. I’m right eye dominant so it means, at least to me, putting the ball further back in my stance - not forward. 

Yea, I get it too far forward and I just have the face a little shut and it goes left. Ball position took some trial and error. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I always like to dabble with broomsticks and found a newer company called Longbow Putters that only make broomsticks. I believe the heads are actually made by Goodwood as he is listed as a co-owner. I have the LP-2 in black and it's very close to kicking out my current gamer and its just plan fun using the ball pickup feature built into the head. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx  (8*) AutoFlex 505

PXG Gen 6 3 Wood (15*)

PXG Gen 6 (18*)

PXG Gen 6 4 hybrid (22*)

Cobra Aerojet OL (5-SW)
Cobra Snakebite 58*

Lajosi Custom LP808

On 9/27/2023 at 3:14 PM, flubberlange said:

Agree. Probably one of the best videos out on broomsticking but he forgot about ball position.

From what I've heard from LAB, this seems to be true of most of their putters.  Results seem to be better with ball sightly forward, but certainly not universally true

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...