2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Some Love for the Paradym X Driver

Jut

Thanks for the info! I’m sort of in the same boat but have gone through some swing changes and don’t get as high of spin numbers. I’m with you, though, in that I’m more interested in consistency than the occasional long ball. Just wondering if you tried the standard paradym and if so how they compare? I have a driver fitting next month and am trying to do some research beforehand 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sleeky_D said:

Thanks for the info! I’m sort of in the same boat but have gone through some swing changes and don’t get as high of spin numbers. I’m with you, though, in that I’m more interested in consistency than the occasional long ball. Just wondering if you tried the standard paradym and if so how they compare? I have a driver fitting next month and am trying to do some research beforehand 

The standard Paradym, ironically, is one driver I did not test.  I fell for the reviews, which in general, stated that the X was testing better overall than the standard model.  Silly of me, but that does leave me another option if the X doesn't pan out....  🙂  

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1

I love the Paradym X!  My game off the tee was really struggling until I put this in the bag.  I tested the PDX extensively against Stealth 2 Plus and TS2 both on the course and GC Quad.  While it won't win any long drive competitions, it has saved me so many shots on the course.   My issue is low launch despite having decent swing speed (107-110mph).  I ended up getting it in 12 degrees with a strong cog paired with a Ventus TR.  I turn it down to 10 degrees to open the face angle a bit.  It has been a game changer for me.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jut said:

The standard Paradym, ironically, is one driver I did not test.  I fell for the reviews, which in general, stated that the X was testing better overall than the standard model.  Silly of me, but that does leave me another option if the X doesn't pan out....  🙂  

Fair enough! I just recently started hearing of the hype. Definitely adding it to the list to try before my official fitting

Does that driver launch high? Are you guys going for the 9 degree or 10.5 heads? I typically play 10.5 and adjust as needed but if the driver is a higher launcher I go to the 9. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Agreed with OP.  I hit this thing well.  I’d probably buy one if it came in 8 degree, but the launch and spin are just still too high with the 9.  

I was surprised with the lack of draw bias.  I can still feel it, but it seems to go much straighter than the max heads of past years.  Something about it just allowed me to consistently come square through impact, rather than spraying it left and right like the triple diamond.

Edited by black bnr32
  • Like 2

I was going through some issues with my driver as well struggled with being consistent off the tee until I picked up the Stealth 2+ as I have a premium shaft as it matches just perfect for me, not only am I getting a tight dispersion I’m getting plenty of distance something I wasn’t getting with the paradym X or with the ping G435. I hit the Rogue ST Max D better last year with more accuracy then I hit the paradym X this year.

The head looks too stretched out where the Stealth 2+ looks more compact and feels nicer. I’m not say the paradym is a bad driver cause it’s not, it just didn’t perform as well as I’d hoped. 

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

49 minutes ago, black bnr32 said:

Hey @Jut, how does the spin compare between the X and the G430 max?  Any difference in draw/fade bias?

I think we need to find 8 degree “max” type heads.  Or maybe find a tour adapter that can loft lower than 1 degree.

Spin and launch were actually very similar (ironically, I spun the G430 Max less than the G430 LST).  For some reason, I had trouble controlling the Max (I had the Ping 2.0 Tour Black in it) and it doesn’t sound / feel nearly as solid as the X.  

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1

9 hours ago, Jut said:

Spin and launch were actually very similar (ironically, I spun the G430 Max less than the G430 LST).  For some reason, I had trouble controlling the Max (I had the Ping 2.0 Tour Black in it) and it doesn’t sound / feel nearly as solid as the X.  

I agree that an 8 degree head would be nice, but knocking the 9 degree down and then playing it with a lower spinning, lower launching shaft seems to work pretty well.  This HZRDUS Black 4G is definitely the best version of the HZRDUS line that I've played.  I have it in my TSR2 fairway wood and hybrid also.  It does the job, but retains really good feel.  

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1

I read the testing on the Paradym X, then hit it vs the “regular” Paradym, and the numbers  on my Flightscope were really good.  I got the X with the Ventus Blue shaft (not velocore) and it has been really great; actually better than I had hoped.  

Really, I can’t say enough good things about this driver.

• Like 4

Made my Paradym into an X. Moved the 9 degree to 10 and put it to the draw setting. Not sure if it works that way but on the back 9 I started to pound the ball for my number 2 pencil arms on a 225 lb man. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 5/24/2023 at 6:12 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

This is how I felt with the rogue st max TC last year - and it’s still in the bag.

I always worry about max heads being too spinny. Wasn’t the case for you?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

9 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I always worry about max heads being too spinny. Wasn’t the case for you?

Nope. Consistent 24-2600RPM for me.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

I may be biased, but Callaway has hands down the best driver this year.  I really thought Titleist was going to take the crown as the shop I was at sold a bunch of them, and then the Paradym released.  It's a weird day not walking in and seeing at least 10 Paradym drivers waiting to be shipped out and/or built.  Its fast, straight, and feels fantastic.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 3

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I have a buddy who plays this driver. His swing is one of the ugliest that I have seen in person.

He usually results to a huge banana ball off the tee, but since he has started using the X (12 degree), he has much less curve and gets more in play. It’s only good for about 200-220 at best, but he’s happy.

I guess it’s easier to buy a new driver than taking a lesson and working on your game.

Edited by SollyinGA

• 2 weeks later...

I agree! My handicap is mostly based on Driver, other clubs in my bag are very good to my game. My driver need consistently to put balls in play. I have been exchanging many drivers which don't fit me. Drivers are long and more challenge for me. Paradym X has little offset that helps me to hit straighter drives. Be sure to find right shaft to reduce spiny and side spins. Be sure to test Paradym X!

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just picked one of these up

based on some solid reviews. For those who have tried it, does it sound reeeeally muted off the face? Its like a marshmallow, can’t really tell where i hit it at times. 
Granted im coming from a Epic Speed Max LS which is kind of more of a tingy whack than a dull thud. 

Seems to fly high and straight so i think i will just have to get used to the sound/feel. 

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

• 3 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:40 PM, Jut said:

I'm a decent golfer, but I've chronicled my issues with getting off the tee with the big stick in some other threads.  I've gone the 3W and mini-driver routes, but have routinely made it a point to get the 'right' driver in the bag.  I've gamed them all.  This year alone I've tested or bagged the TSR3, TSR2, Aerojet, Aerojet LS, Paradym TD, G430 Max, G430 LST, Stealth 2 Plus, and Hell, probably some others that I don't even remember.  My problem is not unique, I don't have a super high swing speed (approx. 95-100), but I generate too much launch and spin, thus I gravitate towards lower spin models.  These work great for me on Trackman or at the range, but I miss the forgiveness during actual rounds.  I had some great driving rounds with the Paradym TD (heavy weight front at times and back at times) and with the Aerojet LS, but then other rounds I struggled majorly with consistency. 

What I've discovered is that instead of looking for my unicorn (low spin to maximize distance coupled with uber forgiveness), I'm better off giving up some length to keep the ball in play.  In comes the Paradym X.  Normally, this isn't a driver that would even be on my radar, but after seeing how it tested on another site and seeing some positive reviews from folks like Shiels, I decided to give her a go.  I change clubs more often than underwear, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been really impressed after a handful of rounds.  Misses are MUCH more playable.  Spin and launch are a bit higher than "optimal", but I'm not losing too much distance compared to the lower spin models.  Very important to me also, sound and feel are AMAZING (better to my ears than even the Paradym TD).  I'm alternating between the HZRDUS Black 4G and the Mitsubishi MMT and seeing great results with both (set at either 8* or 9*).  She's not as pretty as the TD, but I've gotten used to her bigger footprint.  Overall, I'm pretty darn happy right now with the driver and that's a big step!  Long story short, if your struggles are similar to mine, give the X a few swings when you get the chance.  

Greetings from Rainy South west Ireland, I've similar issues as you, though my swing speed is even slower at around 75 to 80 due a lot to rotator cuff injury, went last week for driver fitting with the Ping G430 in mind, tried them all in fitting Cobra Dark TM , but the Paradym X shone bright then any, distance improved swing speed and consistency were better than I could dream of, expected to be fitted into very light shaft but new Tensei AV 2blue 55g Reg was the one that worked , it'll be my first Callaway driver , now the wait of 3 weeks for it to arrive, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, Jut said:

I'm a decent golfer, but I've chronicled my issues with getting off the tee with the big stick in some other threads.  I've gone the 3W and mini-driver routes, but have routinely made it a point to get the 'right' driver in the bag.  I've gamed them all.  This year alone I've tested or bagged the TSR3, TSR2, Aerojet, Aerojet LS, Paradym TD, G430 Max, G430 LST, Stealth 2 Plus, and Hell, probably some others that I don't even remember.  My problem is not unique, I don't have a super high swing speed (approx. 95-100), but I generate too much launch and spin, thus I gravitate towards lower spin models.  These work great for me on Trackman or at the range, but I miss the forgiveness during actual rounds.  I had some great driving rounds with the Paradym TD (heavy weight front at times and back at times) and with the Aerojet LS, but then other rounds I struggled majorly with consistency. 

What I've discovered is that instead of looking for my unicorn (low spin to maximize distance coupled with uber forgiveness), I'm better off giving up some length to keep the ball in play.  In comes the Paradym X.  Normally, this isn't a driver that would even be on my radar, but after seeing how it tested on another site and seeing some positive reviews from folks like Shiels, I decided to give her a go.  I change clubs more often than underwear, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been really impressed after a handful of rounds.  Misses are MUCH more playable.  Spin and launch are a bit higher than "optimal", but I'm not losing too much distance compared to the lower spin models.  Very important to me also, sound and feel are AMAZING (better to my ears than even the Paradym TD).  I'm alternating between the HZRDUS Black 4G and the Mitsubishi MMT and seeing great results with both (set at either 8* or 9*).  She's not as pretty as the TD, but I've gotten used to her bigger footprint.  Overall, I'm pretty darn happy right now with the driver and that's a big step!  Long story short, if your struggles are similar to mine, give the X a few swings when you get the chance.  

My situation is identical to yours. Thanks for sharing this. 

I play off 16, currently game a Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5° in regular shaft and I can’t keep my spin below 3500 to save my life. My thinking is a Paradym X 9° in stiff could be my answer to lowering spin and maintaining forgiveness. Based on your testing do you think I’m better off sticking with 10.5° and just switching to a stiff shaft? 

• Like 1