2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

TSR2 Fairway, talk me into upgrading from my TSi2...

tipperi

The main thread seems overwhelmed with discussion on the drivers and have made my mind up there sticking with the TSi2 for its accuracy sound and feel over TSR2 (for me)

I have a shaft coming this week from Peoples, (Ventus Red TR 7S) to match the 6S that has done wonders for my tee game.

The question at hand.... I have a 16.5 degree TSi2 that's a couple years old that I very seldom use more than once a round.  I shy away from hitting it off the deck because i struggle to launch and spin it enough to hold greens.  Part of that, is that I think the Tensei White thats in it (while decent for me in driver in the past) is not a good fit for a fairway wood primarily used for 2nd shots into Par 5 greens.

The greens at my club are very firm and fast year round, and require height and spin to hold them.

What are folks seeing from TSR2 over TSi?  Any help with launch off the deck or ease of use?  I expect like the drivers it will sound more muted, Im good with that.  If I can find more height and a little less draw bias from the TSi i'd pull the trigger.

• 3 months later...

I upgraded from TSi2 16.5* to TSR2 16.5*. Primarily because I had a lot of Dicks credit, and had a gift card laying around from family.

Results are still TBD.  In theory, the TSR2 is supposed to launch higher because the CG is lower. Something about the weight being lower in the head (even though its towards the front).  Supposed to give higher launch and lower spin. My own experience has been that the TSR2 feels hotter, and when I catch it right it goes. But off-center hits are not as forgiving (again, likely because the weight is forward).  And the spin is lower, which has led to a more penetrating flight for me.

As for the sound and feel... I actually prefer the TSi2 in that area.  The TSi2 feels and sounds like an actual persimmon wood to me.  A deep but quiet "thwack".  TSR2 has a "clack" to it that seems closer to what other brands with carbon heads sound like (TM, Callaway).  I was hoping for a high-pitched (but low volume) "ping" similar to how my TSi2 hybrid sounds, but that's not what I'm hearing.

I've committed to giving the TSR2 extended time in the bag to get used to it.  And I'm not unhappy with the club.  But I haven't seen a big improvement from TSi2 to TSR2 so far.  Not enough to spend the $ anyway.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

im not going to convince you to ditch the TSi because to me, there's nothing to be gained. ive hit all 3 TS fairway heads. There's zero difference. The all have similar #s. Only difference is sound. It doesn't matter what the TSR has or doesn't have. You keep the one you think you hit better. 

Take the money you saved, get a few bucket of balls and hit just 3 wood. THE ENTIRE BUCKET with just your 3w. You will figure something out sooner or later. im in no position to give swing tips on anything. God knows im very capable of hitting some of worst shots you've ever seen lol.

But i know with a 3w, if you dont have the speed to elevate it, you have to hit down to get some spin. More spin causes it to go up but less distance. If you want a rocket to get down as far down as possible down the fairway, you come down a little shallower, smaller divot and sweep it. Either way, you have to hit down somewhat. Hitting 3 wood is tricky but once you develop a relationship with it, and you understand each other lol, itll be a club you will never get rid off. hence why you see a lot of people not being able to get rid off their certain 3wood. Im as confident with my TSi2 3w as i am with a pitching wedge.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I can't comment on how it performs vs the TSi2, but my TSR2 16.5* is referred to as the "magic 4w" by my group.

Easy to hit and the perfect flight for me.

I've got mine shafted with the Tensei 1K black 85g shaft since I prefer a heavier club.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

When I got my driver I tried the tsr2 fairway against my tsi2. Preferred my tsi2 for sound/feel and no difference in results. It’s safe in my bag.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

• 2 weeks later...

My reason is weird: I don’t like the alignment lines all the way across the face on the TSR2. I like the target look of the lines on the TSi2. The clubs seemed virtually the same to me. I was hitting 7 woods. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I can't. My TSi2 15*/DI7s has performed so well over the last year i can't even bring myself to try the new model. 

• Like 1

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I wouldn't get a TSR2 thinking it will be a performance upgrade from TSi2. They are very similar. The sound of the R2 is just OK -- a little hallow with the larger headed woods, more solid with the 5w and 7w. The TSi3 was the best feeling Titleist wood I ever played. But I'm getting used to the R2 lineup. But performance between i2 and r2 will be hard to distinguish.

Also, keep in mind that with the R2 and R3 models, the 4w is the same head size as the 3w. In the i2 and i3 series, the 4w was in-between 3w and 5w and had a 42.50 in. shaft instead of 43.00. 

Titleist TSR3 08.75 - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 - Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR2 22.00 - Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

On 6/5/2023 at 7:28 AM, tipperi said:

The main thread seems overwhelmed with discussion on the drivers and have made my mind up there sticking with the TSi2 for its accuracy sound and feel over TSR2 (for me)

I have a shaft coming this week from Peoples, (Ventus Red TR 7S) to match the 6S that has done wonders for my tee game.

The question at hand.... I have a 16.5 degree TSi2 that's a couple years old that I very seldom use more than once a round.  I shy away from hitting it off the deck because i struggle to launch and spin it enough to hold greens.  Part of that, is that I think the Tensei White thats in it (while decent for me in driver in the past) is not a good fit for a fairway wood primarily used for 2nd shots into Par 5 greens.

The greens at my club are very firm and fast year round, and require height and spin to hold them.

What are folks seeing from TSR2 over TSi?  Any help with launch off the deck or ease of use?  I expect like the drivers it will sound more muted, Im good with that.  If I can find more height and a little less draw bias from the TSi i'd pull the trigger.

If you struggle launching fairway woods off the deck loft is always going to help you over shafts or head designs. Of course there are shallow easier to launch heads than others but the TSI2 isn’t a low launch weight forward head. 

My suggestion would be switch to a 5 wood at 18 degrees. Unless you’re swinging 110-115+ with driver I bet you’ll see more carry distance off the deck with the 5 wood than the 3W. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I would have had more test time to answer this topic if not for this situation.   My intent was to try the TSR2 16.5* against the TSi2 15* head I've used for the past year +. 

I'm totally happy with the TSi2 and from the balls I did get to hit with the TSR, pretty sure I still prefer the feel and sound of the TSi2. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I can't comment on the TSi2, but I can comment on the TSR2. I have had a 16.5° since the beginning of the year. I've had the Tensei Blue in it until recently, when I got a TSR1 20° hybrid with an Atmos TS Blue 8S shaft. That led me to changing a couple things. I grabbed an Atmos TS Red 8S shaft for my TSR2, which helped with launch and the heavier shaft was just better for me. Then last week, I found a TSR1 15° head that I turned to 16.5° and put a heavier weight in the back. This has been the ticket. Higher launch for me and I'm so much more confident now. I've never hit a fairway wood this high from the turf, and it's like the light bulb has finally come on. I've always struggled hitting fairway woods from the ground, and in 3 rounds of using it, I've hit more great shots from the 240-255 range with this club than I did all year with the TSR2. Some of that may be a better shaft fit, but having that weight low and back in the TSR1 can't hurt versus the low and front of the TSR2.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

PING G410 20.5° Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Hybrid Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec

I now have TSR’s in all my woods/hybrid EXCEPT for my 3 wood. I went back to my TSi2. For some reason, I simply hit it better. I like the sound and feel of the TSi2 a lot better (a “crack”, or “thwack” as some describe it). I do have a TSR 3 wood and have tested it extensively- but the TSI just worked and felt better for me.