2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

VOTE NOW!! Members Choice presented by 2nd Swing: Best fairway wood of 2023

GolfWRX

Best fairway wood 2023  

693 members have voted

1. 1. The bedrock of GolfWRX.com is the community of passionate and knowledgable golfers in our forums, and we put endless trust in the opinions of our GolfWRX members — the most knowledgeable community of golfers on the internet. No other group of golfers in the world tests golf clubs as frequently or as extensively, or is armed with such in-depth information about the latest technology. So, WRXers, we're asking for your input on the best fairway wood of 2023, and don't forget to comment with the reasoning for your choice!

• Adams Idea
    • Callaway Apex UW
    • Calaway Big Bertha
    • Callaway Great Big Bertha
    • Callaway Paradym
    • Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
    • Callaway Paradym X
    • Cleveland Launcher XL HALO
    • Cobra AeroJet
    • Cobra AeroJet LS
    • Cobra AeroJet Max
    • Cobra Air X
    • Honma Beres
    • Honma Beres NX
    • Honma TW757 S
    • Honma TW757 D
    • Mizuno ST-Z 230
    • Mizuno ST-X 230 PLTNM
    • Ping G430 Max
    • Ping G430 LST
    • Ping G430 SFT
    • Ping G430 HL
    • PXG 0311 Gen6
    • PXG 0311 XF Gen6
    • PXG 0211
    • Srixon ZX Mk II
    • TaylorMade Stealth 2
    • TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus
    • TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD
    • Titleist TSR1
    • Titleist TSR2
    • Titleist TSR2+
    • Titleist TSR3
    • Tour Edge C723
    • Tour Edge E723
    • Tour Edge Hot Launch C523
    • Tour Edge Hot Launch E523
    • Wilson Dynapower
    • Wilson D9
    • Wilson Launch Pad
    • XXIO 12
    • XXIO Prime
    • XXIO Prime Royal
    • XXIO X

This poll is closed to new votes

We're proud to partner with 2nd Swing Golf to bring you GolfWRX Members Choice 2023! 2nd Swing has more than 100,000 new and pre-swung golf clubs available in six store locations and online. Check them out here

Best replies will be featured in our Members Choice article. 

Please vote in the other Members Choice categories here!

Don't forget to comment with the reasoning for your choice!    

Edited by GolfWRX

• GolfWRX changed the title to VOTE NOW!! Members Choice presented by 2nd Swing: Best fairway wood of 2023

I voted for the G430 Max. I tested a lot of the current model fairway woods and don't have any particular brand allegiance, but Ping seems to be winning out in a lot of spots for me this year.

My confidence with the G430 Max 3 wood is really high right now. I've been reaching more par 5s in two than ever before. It is a spinnier head than many of its competitors -- I'm around 3500 RPMs on a Trackman on good strikes. However, I wanted my 3 wood to be a club I really felt like I could trust and control off the tee, and this gives me that, while also being able to stop on greens -- which I'm actually hitting with it sometimes! The 7 wood is just super straight and really versatile, good out of anything but the fluffiest of lies (where I feel like, because of the shallow face, I could slide it right under the ball). 

The other thing that Ping and Titleist have but I don't think many other brands do is the ability to move them to a flatter lie angle. I play both my 3W and 7W at the -1 flat settings, and to me at those settings they sit perfectly, I get great turf interaction, and they look square to just ever so slightly open. I really like having that option, and I'm just really comfortable with both of these clubs.

Others I've really liked this year would be the Paradym Triple Diamond and the TSR2 and TSR3. I wanted to like the Stealth 2 because it's really easy to hit high and long and I think it looks fantastic, but it's too upright for me, which means big hooks. If you're a little taller than me or struggle with a slice, it might be perfect for you, and is definitely worth a try.

I haven't hit the G430 LST and doubt it would be the right fit for me given what I look for in a 3W, but I'm really curious and would love to try it anyway. Just haven't been able to find a left handed demo heads.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

TSR3 - Shape and HOT!!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - 10 Degree - C1 - T1 - XC-6 S 44.75"

Titleist TSR3 - 15 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 75S 

Titleist TSR3 - 18 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 85S 

FliHi Pro 3 - 20 Degrees - ProjectXU 6.0

MP-18 - 4, 5 MMC FliHi, 6 SC, 7, 8, 9 Blade - Oban CT-125 S

Mack Daddy Forged 50, 54 @ 55 and 60 DG S200's

All Irons and Wedges 4 Degrees Flat

Golf Pride Victory Cords on all the above - IYKYK!!!

Ping Cadence Ketsch - 34" w/ SuperStroke Wrist Lock

I voted for Apex UW as I usually dont hit FWs that well. The shorter shaft and almost hybridesque size made this perform really well for me.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Apex UW for me. Hands down the easiest, most dependable club to hit in my bag aside from the trusty Betti. It's been so good for me that I ditched the 3W/5W combo for my 17* UW (paired with a VA Composites Nemesys 7X @ 42.5" playing length) and added an extra wedge. Through the season so far, Arccos says I'm averaging 252 total yards and 42% FIR, which are mind blowing numbers for my "spray and pray" long game. 

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

I had been using an Adams Fairway metal for the past 15 years. I was using the Adams redline tour prototype with 14.5° of loft. It was an. absolutely amazing club for me and nothing could kick it out of the bag but unfortunately the crown finally broke so I had to find something else. 

apparently fairway wood heads have gotten very hot in the last 15 years, and the sitter at Club Champion told me I’d have to move to a much higher loft to head to maintain the same distances. To avoid having a club that was longer than my driver I actually had a move up to an 18° TSR2 head to fill a 230-240 yard gap between my driver and hybrid. 

I tried all the other club makers offerings, including Ping, Callaway and Taylormade, since I am agnostic to brands as long as the club performs well and looks good at address, and the Titleist TSR2 fit the bill

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

5 hours ago, ShankAaron said:

Apex UW for me. Hands down the easiest, most dependable club to hit in my bag aside from the trusty Betti. It's been so good for me that I ditched the 3W/5W combo for my 17* UW (paired with a VA Composites Nemesys 7X @ 42.5" playing length) and added an extra wedge. Through the season so far, Arccos says I'm averaging 252 total yards and 42% FIR, which are mind blowing numbers for my "spray and pray" long game. 

What’s your long game setup? I struggle with my 3 wood and I’m interested in trying the 17* Uw as long as it doesn’t go the same distance as my 19* fly hi 3 iron 

3 hours ago, ovodeano said:

What’s your long game setup? I struggle with my 3 wood and I’m interested in trying the 17* Uw as long as it doesn’t go the same distance as my 19* fly hi 3 iron 

It's in my signature. Para TD->Apex UW 17*->Epic Super Hybrid 4H.

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

Ping G430 Max fairway is very consistent and forgiving. With a good swing it produces very similar 

results every time. so good

PING G430 Max 10* / Ventus Blue with Velocore 6S

PING G430 Fariway 18* / Tour Chrome 2.0 75s

PXG 0341XF Gen 4 Fairway 22* / Tensei Raw Blue 75S

COBRA F6 4/5Hybrid / Mitsubishi C6 black 80s

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-GW / Elevate Tour S 

PXG 0311 Forged Wedge 54* / Elevate Tour S 

CLEVELAND CBX Full Face Wedge 60* / Dynamic Gold 115 

BETTINARDI Studio Stock #3 2017 & PXG Battle Ready Brandon

Stealth 2.

Had all of the previous Ti Fw from TMG: SIM, SIM2, Stealth Plus.  All fantastic, with incremental benefits.  Stealth 2 is finally a touch smaller than its predecessors so looks great, elevates without too much spin and sits relatively square.  If they had A Stealth 2 Plus in a 16.5 at retail, that may have been the choice, but for now the Core Stealth 2 is reliable and has an appealing look and great turf interaction.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Stealth 2 Plus. Best sound and feel on the market. Great shaping. Long. Easy to launch. Best adjustability on the market.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Seems like the traditional big OEMs do well - Titleist, Ping, Callaway, TM ... should not be surprising

Tour Edge was known for its fairways. What happened?

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 7/15/2023 at 11:11 AM, SwingMan said:

Seems like the traditional big OEMs do well - Titleist, Ping, Callaway, TM ... should not be surprising

Tour Edge was known for its fairways. What happened?

I'm unsure if they went away from the Beta Titanium they used to use or if everyone else caught up.  I remember them being silly long and creating a few gapping issues when the 3w was a few yards behind my driver.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

TSR3 for me… shape, consistency, adjustability and sound… all amazing for me. My launch numbers are the same, every day. I own 3w and 5w and I’ll have these in the bag for a super long time. Ventus TR Black 7X and 8X respectively, loft turned down a bit.

• Thanks 1

TSR3 8 15 (18), Ventus TR Black 6x 7x (8x)

ZX MkII 20*, Ventus Black HB 9TX

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350, (Coggin Gauge R carbon 33 350, LA 135g)

Have both a Paradym Heavenwood and TSR2 3W. I love both of them, but the TSR2 is far more consistent for me for a club that I historically have struggled to be consistent with. Upgraded from TSi2, and the subtle changes like full scorelines across the face and shape/weight changes have given me a noticeable increase in ball speed and distance. 

Titleist TSR3 (9) C2; Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 (15) A2; Ventus Blue TR 7S

Callaway Paradym HW (20); Tensei 1K Pro Blue 80S

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue (22); Ventus Blue HY 80S

Miura KM 700 (5-PW); MMT 125S

Mizuno T24 50/08, 54/10; DG Tour Issue S400

Ping Glide 4.0 60ºE; Nippon Z115

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7; BGT Stability

Stealth 2 Plus is a remarkable improvement over previous generations. Longer and much more accurate!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Callaway Paradym 3 wood is the best wood I ever had. I can tee off and from deck. 

Edited by Phil Major
wrong window

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - PW  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Taylormade MG3 48* TT Tour Issue S200

Taylormade MG4 52* TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 59* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson Dynapower……..3,5 and 7………wow

• Like 1

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always amazed at what a popularity contest this always becomes on Golfwrx. Just go to the extensive fairway wood testing on MGS. Hands down the Wilson dynapower wins the overall category and yet gets less than 1% of the votes here. The Titleist tsr2 wins easily with nearly 20 % of the vote on Golfwrx and yet finishes 17th in distance, 15th in accuracy, 15th in forgiviness, 25 in ball speed. With stats like that the tsr2 should be about $130 at pgass. 

• Haha 1

TSR2 18* for me. It replaced my Adam’s 5050 14.5*. 

Hard to believe that an 18* fwy wood can go as far as a 14.5° fwy wood from 15 years ago. It is all head, not the shaft because I have the same shaft in both clubs (Matrix Ozik Code-8). Same length, same swingweight. 

Modern heads are just crazy hot. 

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

The Winner for a spot in my bag was the Cally Paradym X!

Really wanted to love the Stealth 2 Plus and TSR 2, but the Paradym outperformed both for me personally and was a much better fit for my game.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 9/14/2023 at 1:45 AM, JosephNewton293 said:

I'm always amazed at what a popularity contest this always becomes on Golfwrx. Just go to the extensive fairway wood testing on MGS. Hands down the Wilson dynapower wins the overall category and yet gets less than 1% of the votes here. The Titleist tsr2 wins easily with nearly 20 % of the vote on Golfwrx and yet finishes 17th in distance, 15th in accuracy, 15th in forgiviness, 25 in ball speed. With stats like that the tsr2 should be about $130 at pgass. 

It is interesting. I’d bet 90% of golf equipment is bought because of tour use. Even if a Wilson was a magic club and would lower some worxer’s handicap 2 strokes they would not use it because they want to be perceived as a good player more than actually being a good player. I play with guys with the latest big name driver who hit it all over the place when a 10 yo Ping would serve them just as well. Maybe even better. Drivers and putters are the worst though. 

Got fit (basic fitting) for the TSR2...struggled with it most of the year (1 of 5 good shots). I stuck with it as I kept blaming my skill. Tried the Mizuno ST-Z on a whim and have yet to hit a bad shot with it (6 rounds so far). For whatever reason, I like the deeper face on the Mizuno. 

I know I am in the minority, but hate the Ping G425's and G430's....maybe its the shallower face or head shape...but something about them is weird.

• 1 month later...